You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

AJ on btn, 3bet spot?

2»

Comments

• edited October 2011
    If you sat sum1 like durrr at a table with 5 DNnumbers, how would he go about making money? Like 5 nitty 20nl regs, extremely nitty.

He'd be trying to crack TT+ every single hand. 

How should we exploit these players?
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: AJ on btn, 3bet spot?:
    In Response to Re: AJ on btn, 3bet spot? : Why would we need to flop 2 pair+? If we do just fold pre, but surely he opens stuff like pocket pairs KQ etc
    Posted by grantorino
    This whole debate is based upon his opening range, so therefore if you decide to fold, flat or 3 bet this should be based upon this. If he opens a wider range then should we really flat given the vlaue in our hand is only dependant upon the flop. So therefore his opening range value is only dependant on what the oppo does and what the flop brings. So if we flat we are soley looking at the flop to win the hand. If you know this oppo will flat 3 bets OOP with a KQ/PP kind of range then why not 3 bet as we are going to be winning this hand IP the majority of the time he misses or high cards hit and we barrel or we hit anyway.

If we know he only opens QQ+ then again why would we flat, only to hit two pr or better surely or just fold seems more apt.
    So why would we 3 bet when his range is so narrow, yeah I see obvious pitfall where most of the time your going to be 4 bet. I think the merits of 3 betting a range wider than mentioned ie. QQ+ is far beneficial through the streets. I understand what you saying, I may aswell flat v his open range of QJ/KJ/10J where we have a vlaue hand. Plus also we don't want to 3 bet and make him fold worse. But arn't we just saying ok open wide as you like and I will call IP and we will see who hits harder )

It's an intresting debate

• edited October 2011
    If you sat sum1 like durrr at a table with 5 DNnumbers, how would he go about making money? Like 5 nitty 20nl regs, extremely nitty. He'd be trying to crack TT+ every single hand.  How should we exploit these players?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Could you expand, exploit Durr or exploit the other five.

I would find you input very helpful tbh
  • edited October 2011
    If you sat sum1 like durrr at a table with 5 DNnumbers, how would he go about making money? Like 5 nitty 20nl regs, extremely nitty. He'd be trying to crack TT+ every single hand.  How should we exploit these players?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Well i DO get money off of these type of players , i play alot wider range bringing in as many sooted con hands and hands that usually flop well against thses type of players , and ya HAVE to be prepared to get involved when a flop comes that usually completely misses THEIR range.
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: AJ on btn, 3bet spot? : Well i DO get money off of these type of players , i play alot wider range bringing in as many sooted con hands and hands that usually flop well against thses type of players , and ya HAVE to be prepared to get involved when a flop comes that usually completely misses THEIR range.
    Posted by debdobs_67
    Not many flops miss a range of JJ/QQ/KK/AA/AK though
  • edited October 2011
    Just fold really you only want to play your top range vs this guy and even then you generally have to play it really slow to extract any value.
  • edited October 2011
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Not sure what you are implying here, is it that we should call wide and only continue when we flop pretty big?
  • edited October 2011
    No I don't know the answer.

I'm asking...

How do you beat a load of rock solid nits?
  • edited October 2011
    In my experience he has loosened up a bit recently, he 3 bet me once with 77! He never used to c bet if he missed, he now sometimes does, he hasn't got 2 barrels in him though.

I think we can flat here and use our position, but he also will fold to a 3 bet OOP, not sure I can fold AJ on the button even against him. Oh it's too hard. Too many options are a prison! - YOU DECIDE!???
  • edited October 2011
    Well are we just exploiting by playing a wide range but more importanly a range that does not conflict with oppo range. So therefore an open, we will not be playing against this with KJ but rarther 56s.

We are also 3 betting a wider range that does not conflict with openers range.

Are we also trying to exploit the fact that the nits are trying to exploit there own image by infact opening wider so therefore we need to be opening/3 betting/4 betting wider. We could be just calling wider with ranges that do not conflict.
    We could also exploit our own image by being very aggro and actually turning up with the nutz instead of the combo draw :s

Or am i just talking nonsense Dohhhhh
  • edited October 2011
    No I don't know the answer. I'm asking... How do you beat a load of rock solid nits?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    C-bet more, 3 bet light, play draws aggressively.... gain Swedish citizenship.
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: AJ on btn, 3bet spot? : Not many flops miss a range of JJ/QQ/KK/AA/AK though
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Enough do dohhh , think bout it an avreage flop would contain 1 paint card and 2 non paint cards , dont forget its not that rare ya see 3 non paint cards on a flop , i just rep rep rep these kind of boards if i miss , if i hit its obv bet bet bet , these nitty regs dont like to be bullied too much if they see huge strength off an oppo , and depending on the regs style of play they will usually fold OR get very aggro with their TP and pay you off that way.

As i said in previous post unless you have a monster hand pre vs their monster hand pre pretty much this is the only way to get money offa these tighties ;))

Obv it dont always work but when it does its good money in the pot.
  • edited October 2011
    No I don't know the answer. I'm asking... How do you beat a load of rock solid nits?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Play in position and hit big as generally advocated in this thread? Interesting thinking about Durr at 20NL - his edge would be massively eroded due to the lack of fold equity at this level. If that micronit isn't going to lay down QQ whatever, then the scope of your play is massively diminished and you cards matter a lot more - does make the trips to value town all the more sweet though!
  • edited October 2011
    Lets look it from a OMAHA perspective, AA is not a good hand. It's all about improvers.
    If we take this logic and apply it to hold em then it does translate, AA has very little chance of improving unlike 56s.

Taking this onboard you can see why the nit is very exploitable.

You can narrow his or hers (Ok Debs I know woman play poker) range very easily and get stacks in very easily.
  • edited October 2011
    Debs, that usually wont work v a range as tight as JJ+, AK, although I agree its not a bad idea against some nitty regs
  • edited October 2011
    Lets look it from a OMAHA perspective, AA is not a good hand. It's all about improvers. If we take this logic and apply it to hold em then it does translate, AA has very little chance of improving unlike 56s. Taking this onboard you can see why the nit is very exploitable. You can narrow his range very easily and get stacks in very easily.
    Posted by rancid
    Yes crack his AA with 56s but it still doesn't require a 3-bet pot, just capitialise on position when the dealer loving us.

Back to AJ, I've still not seen a convincing argument for 3-betting it at 20NL agaisnt an UTG (nitty?) reg. Yes we folding out some better hands such as small pockets and AQo but wouldn't we rather keep them in and see a flop in position so we can go about finding even more value?
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: AJ on btn, 3bet spot? : Yes crack his AA with 56s but it still doesn't require a 3-bet pot, just capitialise on position when the dealer loving us. Back to AJ, I've still not seen a convincing argument for 3-betting it at 20NL agaisnt an UTG (nitty?) reg. Yes we folding out some better hands such as small pockets and AQo but wouldn't we rather keep them in and see a flop in position so we can go about finding even more value?
    Posted by step7
    Not talking about 3 betting with it just talking about Dohhh question on how to beat a table of nits.
    Anyway we can either play poker to flop lucky, outplay our oppo or not - choice is ours )

I think the whole subject of playing opposite of the table holds ground.
    I am currently exploring the whole concept of playing the player not the cards so for me the cards are somewhat meaningless.

• edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: AJ on btn, 3bet spot? : Not talking about 3 betting with it just talking about Dohhh question on how to beat a table of nits. Anyway we can either play poker to flop lucky, outplay our oppo or not - choice is ours ) I think the whole subject of playing opposite of the table holds ground. I am currently exploring the whole concept of playing the player not the cards so for me the cards are somewhat meaningless.
    Posted by rancid
    Ok we drifiting off topic? But a good post to spark such lively debate.

Sorry Rancid thought you talking about 56s in the context of a 3 bet, my bad. Yes playing opposites is proven winning poker.

At the risk of repeating myself, this is micro's, cards do matter a lot more often - careful you don't level yourself ;) Please let us know how you get on with your experimentation but my prediction is that you are heading for frustration. 
  • edited October 2011
    ofc your cards matter, as they determine your actions in the hand, ie if you are trying to keep villain in hand or make him fold. Stating your cards are meaningless is redic imo, I understand you trying to play the player,but cards are important

As for playing against nits, raise their blinds more, 3bet light ip more (unless theiir opening range is redic tight) bluffraise flops more, play less broadway hands and more hands like scs that are less likely to be dominated, fold TP hands to serious action 
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: AJ on btn, 3bet spot? : Ok we drifiting off topic? But a good post to spark such lively debate. Sorry Rancid thought you talking about 56s in the context of a 3 bet, my bad. Yes playing opposites is proven winning poker. At the risk of repeating myself, this is micro's, cards do matter a lot more often - careful you don't level yourself ;) Please let us know how you get on with your experimentation but my prediction is that you are heading for frustration. 
    Posted by step7
    At micro ABC is good and I would advise anyone to play tight and play for value.

When you get to NL10/NL20 there are more regs so you have to adapt your game.
    I would prefer to think about it now rarther than when I get to NL20 tbh.

Even at NL4 you can outplay oppo very easily once you understand the way they play poker.
    I would post some hands up to show but I finks it would be too much advo )
  • edited October 2011
    ofc your cards matter, as they determine your actions in the hand, ie if you are trying to keep villain in hand or make him fold. Stating your cards are meaningless is redic imo, I understand you trying to play the player,but cards are important As for playing against nits, raise their blinds more, 3bet light ip more (unless theiir opening range is redic tight) bluffraise flops more, play less broadway hands and more hands like scs that are less likely to be dominated, fold TP hands to serious action 
    Posted by grantorino
    gran

Not saying I am right, just something I am thinking about more rarther than just playing ABC - value or bluff lines

• edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: AJ on btn, 3bet spot? : gran  Not saying I am right, just something I am thinking about more rarther than just playing ABC - value or bluff lines
    Posted by rancid
    While I understand you are taking a long term approach with this gameplay, you still have to ask yourself what you hope to accomplish by 3-betting preflop IN POSITION with AJ.

The main reasons people 3 bet preflop are:

-To build the pot with a premium hand
    -To balance their 3 betting range preflop (ie it could be 56s, it could be AA)
    -To take the initiative for future betting rounds, particularly useful if OOP, but it also allows you to be versatile:

- />this is why suited connectors are great for 3 betting light; if you act last pre flop and an A or K comes on flop, you can represent it strongly. If the flop comes low cards and you connect well, you have a disguised hand and your opponent probably thinks you missed flop with AK etc.

AJ, as GT said, has value in and of itself, but mostly for making top pair in relatively small pots. 3-betting builds pots and his calling range for 3-bets would probably crush AJ so I don't see why you would 3-bet with AJ.
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: AJ on btn, 3bet spot? : While I understand you are taking a long term approach with this gameplay, you still have to ask yourself what you hope to accomplish by 3-betting preflop IN POSITION with AJ. The main reasons people 3 bet preflop are: -To build the pot with a premium hand -To balance their 3 betting range preflop (ie it could be 56s, it could be AA) -To take the initiative for future betting rounds, particularly useful if OOP, but it also allows you to be versatile: - />this is why suited connectors are great for 3 betting light; if you act last pre flop and an A or K comes on flop, you can represent it strongly. If the flop comes low cards and you connect well, you have a disguised hand and your opponent probably thinks you missed flop with AK etc. AJ, as GT said, has value in and of itself, but mostly for making top pair in relatively small pots. 3-betting builds pots and his calling range for 3-bets would probably crush AJ so I don't see why you would 3-bet with AJ.
    Posted by BigRonnieC
    Eveything you have said is spot on, it was such a long time ago I can't remember why I was going to 3 bet with AJ but it was not for a specifc reason more of a merge of the above plus other factors I was considering at the time.
    One of them being "Just what are my options in this spot"
    You could get him to laydown AQ or 1010 is a + because if oppo is really that tight he will fold these hands and flat worse possibly - but I really don't want to go over it again tbh - )
    But the tighter the oppo the more likely under presure they will lay down a better hand that is not the nutz

But it did lead us here, which is a nice place to be )
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: AJ on btn, 3bet spot? : Eveything you have said is spot on, it was such a long time ago I can't remember why I was going to 3 bet with AJ but it was not for a specifc reason more of a merge of the above plus other factors I was considering at the time. One of them being "Just what are my options in this spot" You could get him to laydown AQ or 1010 is a + because if oppo is really that tight he will fold these hands and flat worse possibly - but I really don't want to go over it again tbh - ) But the tighter the oppo the more likly under presure they will lay down a betetr hand that is not the nutz But it did lead us here, which is a nice place to be )
    Posted by rancid
    There was a hand on Master Cash last week I think it was, AJ v AQ preflop (might have been Hurst05 had AJ?). AJ was OOP and 3 bet AQ, AQ folded. In that way, you can use the 3 bet to nullify positional disadvantage or try to get an opponent off a hand.

I would rather play 9 7 offsuit etc than A J/A 9 in a raised pot.
  • ybyb
    edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: AJ on btn, 3bet spot? : Not many flops miss a range of JJ/QQ/KK/AA/AK though
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    if they literally only open this range then just steal loads and call their raises with small pairs/some suited connectors because depending on how they play postflop you're probably getting great implied odds for when you hit.
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: AJ on btn, 3bet spot? : if they literally only open this range then just steal loads and call their raises with small pairs/some suited connectors because depending on how they play postflop you're probably getting great implied odds for when you hit.
    Posted by yb
    exactly THIS