You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Correct fold? KK pre on a DYM bubble

edited October 2011 in The Poker Clinic

Jam it in at level 5 or 6 your not gonna get a better chance m8

Comments

• edited October 2011
    Hi all,

A friend of mine slated me for this pre-flop fold on the bubble of an £11 Double Your Money:

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceswiggersSmall blind 200.00200.004322.50Andyl1986Big blind 400.00600.002135.00 Your hole cardsKK   Bramhall21Fold    berniAll-in 2442.503042.500.00swiggersCall 2242.505285.002080.00Andyl1986Fold    swiggersShowQQ   berniShow44   Flop  549   Turn  2   River  7   berniWinThree 4s5285.00 5285.0

The reasons for the fold:
    - We were on the bubble
    - The SB hadn't been calling too frequently (as far as I can remember)
    - The button was probably shoving pretty wide and was likely well beat by the big stack SB when he called

Would appreciate your thoughts.  Cheers.

EDIT:  It appears I foolishly thought berni had me covered at the time... this is obviously not the case.  Had I realised this at the time I probably would have called.  Would still appreciate opinions either way, i.e. if I was covered and if not.
  • edited October 2011
    Berni didn't have you covered, so I would deffo call. As either you or swiggers winning = game over

And even if berni had AQ in that spot youd still be 70ish% which is very good win rate at DYMs
  • edited October 2011

can't call quicker bubble or not you don't exactly have the stack to be folding out these hands with the hope that the button will go bust

now heres the vital question

did you go on to make top 3 ?
  • edited October 2011
    good fold unless the unlikely event that they split the pot then you are certainly cashing just by folding so there is no point at all to join in.
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Correct fold? KK pre on a DYM bubble:
    good fold unless the unlikely event that they split the pot then you are certainly cashing just by folding so there is no point at all to join in.
    Posted by Mr_Miyagi
    If he calls he is much more likely to win, if he or swiggers wins, game= over, unless berni has AA then the OP is gonna cash about 80% of the time in this spot if he calls. Considerably higher than if he folds.
  • edited October 2011
    Hmm tough decision not bad, but hard to fold still

easier to fold due to DYM though, hope this isnt a bad beat? you were well ahead so it probably is a bad fold but if on bubble can understand if u want an easier ride eg. someone else to do the knocking out
  • edited October 2011
    can't call quicker bubble or not you don't exactly have the stack to be folding out these hands with the hope that the button will go bust now heres the vital question did you go on to make top 3 ?
    Posted by delaney09
    I did - swiggers was crippled a couple of hands later if I remember rightly then I busted him with QQ.
  • edited October 2011
    Berni didn't have you covered , so I would deffo call. As either you or swiggers winning = game over And even if berni had AQ in that spot youd still be 70ish% which is very good win rate at DYMs
    Posted by Poker_Fail
    Looking back you're right - at the time I thought berni had me covered (didnt take into account the blind I'd already posted) - huge fail on my part!
  • edited October 2011
    your stack shouts - shove it in
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Correct fold? KK pre on a DYM bubble : Looking back you're right - at the time I thought berni had me covered (didnt take into account the blind I'd already posted) - huge fail on my part!
    Posted by Andyl1986
    Finally someone pays attention to me lol

Yeh, the fact that you have him covered means that you should call there, as unless he has AA (Very unlikely) you are going to be about 80% to win the game right there. If you fold, as you did, you're not winning in that situation as often, you have roughly the same stack as swiggers and you'll only win in that situation about 60% even with great bubble play.
  • edited October 2011
    If he got berni covered and swiggers take em both out, andy wins the money because he has the biggest sack - correct?
  • edited October 2011
    Fine to fold. Your reads of the small blind sugest he is going to have the best hand and if that is the case and his best hand holds you cash. If the small blind wins then you are going to be level in chips roughly with the button player and can still easily cash from this spot. You can call in this spot, but I think if you ran all the numbers and likely range it would come up -ev. After all if you call and lose then the game is over. Folding gives you two ways to win (you can win right there and then at this hand, or you can win later by grinding out the rest of the game). Calling means you have to win
  • edited October 2011
    5 bb, covers berni, he has KK - can't see how anyone folds here

JOHN CONNOR WE NEED YOU )
  • edited October 2011
    If he got berni covered and swiggers take em both out, andy wins the money because he has the biggest sack - correct?
    Posted by rancid
    Yes, Berni has the shortest stack from the 3, so OP cashes unless he wins (which will be about 20% of the time if he calls)
  • edited October 2011
    Fine to fold. Your reads of the small blind sugest he is going to have the best hand and if that is the case and his best hand holds you cash. If the small blind wins then you are going to be level in chips roughly with the button player and can still easily cash from this spot. You can call in this spot, but I think if you ran all the numbers and likely range it would come up -ev. After all if you call and lose then the game is over. Folding gives you two ways to win (you can win right there and then at this hand, or you can win later by grinding out the rest of the game). Calling means you or swiggers have to win
    Posted by jugglegeek
    Fixed
  • edited October 2011

I dont mind this fold

• edited October 2011
    Its a fold all day long because you either win there and then or your still 3rd in chips meaning your posistion is good i wouldnt call with any hand here ever 3 way regardless of reads. The stack sizes are perfect for you to fold
    good fold
  • edited October 2011
    easiest call I've ever seen :o:o:o

Might be different if they both covered us, but think I still call anyway.
  • edited October 2011
    I don't know how people are saying fold, finks DYM's are not for me )

• edited October 2011
    Just discussed the ranges of both players with Hoggers and ran the numbers on stove.

With the ranges we assigned, if we make the call, either us, or the isolation shover witll win the hand 80% of the time. So we make the call, we will cash now every 4 out of 5 games.

If we fold, the isolation shover will win 60% of the time.

If we cash in 80% of games when we r on the bubble with 2.4k @ 200/400 I'd say that's a pretty spectacular win-rate.

Very clear call. 
  • edited October 2011
    Really interesting this one. I think swiggers having chips back and you covering berni are the key points here, making this a call to get the old 2 vs 1 going. You're obviously crushing berni in this spot. If they both have very similar stacks I can find a fold knowing one of them will be crippled but here I have to call.
  • edited October 2011
    o good, i am not going mad then )
  • edited October 2011
    Just discussed the ranges of both players with Hoggers and ran the numbers on stove. With the ranges we assigned, if we make the call, either us, or the isolation shover witll win the hand 80% of the time. So we make the call, we will cash now every 4 out of 5 games. If we fold, the isolation shover will win 60% of the time. If we cash in 80% of games when we r on the bubble with 2.4k @ 200/400 I'd say that's a pretty spectacular win-rate. Very clear call. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    That's exactly what i've been saying the whole time lol and that's without any programs ;)

And glad to see JC agree too
  • edited October 2011
    The reason a fold isn't terrible is because it's VERY likely one of them will lose which means one of two things
    1) the game ends and you cash
    2) the other guy wins and the big stack is in the mix now and it's a free-for-all where you can usually keep your head down and cash. But yeah is much better if their stacks are closer.

I can definitely understand a fold here and I don't think it's too bad, but I probably would call on the basis that as long as I or the big stack wins, I cash.
  • edited October 2011
    Just discussed the ranges of both players with Hoggers and ran the numbers on stove. With the ranges we assigned, if we make the call, either us, or the isolation shover witll win the hand 80% of the time. So we make the call, we will cash now every 4 out of 5 games. If we fold, the isolation shover will win 60% of the time. If we cash in 80% of games when we r on the bubble with 2.4k @ 200/400 I'd say that's a pretty spectacular win-rate. Very clear call. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    But by folding you are not not cashing by calling you are
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Correct fold? KK pre on a DYM bubble : But by folding you are not not cashing by calling you are
    Posted by Batkin88
    But you win cash a considerably higher % of the time in this scenario if you call.

Usually in DYMs you are trying to avoid any possible confrontations, but on the bubble if you can secure a spot where you are this likely to win you have to make the call
  • edited October 2011
    Instant shove for me
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Correct fold? KK pre on a DYM bubble : But you win cash a considerably higher % of the time in this scenario if you call. Usually in DYMs you are trying to avoid any possible confrontations, but on the bubble if you can secure a spot where you are this likely to win you have to make the call
    Posted by Poker_Fail
    There is no way that can be proven as your still sitting 3rd with a playable stack after. If you fold you have a chance of cashing with no risk and if worst happens and small stack wins then the big stack is now short stack
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Correct fold? KK pre on a DYM bubble : There is no way that can be proven as your still sitting 3rd with a playable stack after. If you fold you have a chance of cashing with no risk and if worst happens and small stack wins then the big stack is now short stack
    Posted by Batkin88
    It is though, if you call you are 80% to win, you will be less than 80% to win if you fold.

Here's a Q for you, You are at the bubble, all 4 of you have exactly 3000 chips, 1 of them shoves and you KNOW they have AQ, you have AK. Would you call? Doing anything other than calling in that situation is wrong as you are 70% to win which is a higher win-rate than you could hope for.
  • edited October 2011
    i`m not a stt player but i`m never folding this what if u had aces would you still fold?