You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

the Movie thread

edited November 2011 in The Shed
post a movie you may have recently seen, not necessarily a brand new one, say a few words as to why every else should watch it, be it from 10 years ago, film noir or foreign

...would like to keep this for film lovers, so refrain from posting 'transformers 3 - megan fox is fit yada yada' but oh well, see what direction it takes

anyway, few days ago i saw '12 Angry Men', mint film, wanted to see it for ages!

its 1957, black n white with henry fonda, and lee.J cobb

'A dissenting juror in a murder trial slowly manages to convince the others that the case is not as obviously clear as it seemed in court.'

Imdb.com has it at a 8.9!

Comments

• edited October 2011
    In Response to the Movie thread:
    post a movie you may have recently seen, not necessarily a brand new one, say a few words as to why every else should watch it, be it from 10 years ago, film noir or foreign ...would like to keep this for film lovers, so refrain from posting 'transformers 3 - megan fox is fit yada yada' but oh well, see what direction it takes anyway, few days ago i saw ' 12 Angry Men ', mint film, wanted to see it for ages! its 1957, black n white with henry fonda, and lee.J cobb ' A dissenting juror in a murder trial slowly manages to convince the others that the case is not as obviously clear as it seemed in court.' Imdb.com has it at a 8.9!
    Posted by sikas
    great film
  • edited October 2011
    seen a french film the other night did'nt realise it was,anyway excellent film

A PROPHET
    I WOULD PUT IT DOWN AS ANOTHER FILM TO WATCH AGAIN!!!!!

A REALLY GOOD PRISON FILM WIYH A GREAT STORY LINE IN MODREN DAY FRANCE
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: the Movie thread:
    seen a french film the other night did'nt realise it was,anyway excellent film A PROPHET I WOULD PUT IT DOWN AS ANOTHER FILM TO WATCH AGAIN!!!!! A REALLY GOOD PRISON FILM WIYH A GREAT STORY LINE IN MODREN DAY FRANCE
    Posted by dubmaster

ah! i watched this, last year mebbe, 'Un Prophete', its mint

+1

dubbers, dunno if youve seen it 'Tropa de Elite 2' - so frig*in good, blows 'city of god' out the water
  • edited October 2011
    Yeah seen both of those, and in the case of 12 Angry Men seen the original and the remake multiple times, very good films all three. 

The last film I saw was another one of my favourites though not really a pleasant subject - Manhunter. Its all very Eighties with William Petersen sporting a curly perm and white shoes and no socks (it is a Michael Mann film ofc), but as a film that deals with the hunt for a serial killer, this is the best I've seen. It was remade into Red Dragon a few years back and that was pretty good too, but nowhere in the same league as this.
  • edited October 2011
    Dead Man's Shoes.

British, violent, pyschological, cool, funny, great twist. Need I say more.

One of my favourite films ever.

Recently caught "A Room for Romeo Brass" from the same director (Shane Meadows - This is England) and it's worth a watch too.
  • edited October 2011
    And for foreign films look no further than Park Chan-Wook's "Vengeance Trilogy".

They're only a trilogy in that they're based on similar themes and anyone can be watched on it's own. I'd heartily recommend all three though as they are so much ahead of 99% of what Hollywood can produce it's unreal.
  • edited October 2011
    Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus

/Thread
  • edited October 2011
    The best film that I have seen so far this year is Amer (France 2009, Helene Cattet / Bruno Forzani) the debut feature of two young French directors.

Shot in a highly stylized manner that pays loving tribute to 70's Italian giallo, the film explores the sexual awakenings of a mentally disturbed (?) woman in three distinct sections (childhood, puberty, adulthood).

Not for everyone but for me stunning.

The thematically similar Black Swan (USA 2010, Darren Aronofsky) would be a close second.
  • edited October 2011
    Yep sikas!! Great not seen a film thread for ages, when i got time, do consider myself to be a bit of a buff!!! LOL!!

Not as knowlegable as some of postee's here, bandinai & Darn can point u at some great film threads, year or 2 old on here!!

Anyway '12 Angry Men' !! Yup defo in ma top 20!!

Dead Mans Shoes!! Close, but great low budget brit film!!

Point of ma post this time IS...... WATCH THIS ON TV..............

"THE STORY OF FILM"

Channell More4 Sat 29th oct 9.45-11.10!! RECORD !! I think you will all like!!

interviews with 'Chinatown' screen writer Robert Towne, 'The Graduate' writer Buck Henry & Charles Burnett, pioneering 'Black Film' Director!! These were words used in re-veiw that caught ma eye!!

NOT A FILM, I KNOW!! but will defo be re-cording 'TOP BOY' channel 4, 10pm Mon 31st, a series, this got GREAT REVIEWS!! [Cant watch it as will be winning UKOPS1 LOL!!]

GL
    The Hitman
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: the Movie thread : ah! i watched this, last year mebbe, 'Un Prophete', its mint +1 dubbers, dunno if youve seen it  'Tropa de Elite 2' - so frig*in good, blows 'city of god' out the water
    Posted by sikas
    will check it out thanks
  • edited October 2011
    check out WALL.E A STORY OFF 2 ROBOTS THAT FALL IN LOVE, XXXX A TRUE LOVE STORY XXX
  • edited October 2011
    yep. im of to bed now, nite ,nite nooooooooooooooooooooo going to watch WALL.E
  • edited October 2011
    THEN AFTER I SHALL WATCH NOW VOYAGER STORY ABOUT A WOMAN WHO HAS BE DOMINATED BY HER MOTHER FOR YEARS, WHO THEN BLOSSOMS WITH CONFIDENCE INTO A BEAUTIFUL WOMAN,AND GOES ON A VOYAGE OF DISCOVERY
  • edited October 2011

one for those that like a laugh.
                                                EVIL ROY SLADE 
    its a comedy western,that was years ahead of its time. made in black and white,it stars mickey rooney as the happless marshal, trying to catch evil roy.
    in the opening scene evil roy and his gang are in their secret hidout,when a rider draws near, the lookout
    calls to evil roy that a rider  is coming KILL HIM SAYS EVIL ROY, BUT ITS A WOMAN CALLS THE LOOKOUT
    OK  JUST MAME HER.
    that gives you some idea of the script throughout the movie. if you liked airplane then you will love this one
  • edited October 2011
    one for those that like a laugh.                                             EVIL ROY SLADE  its a comedy western,that was years ahead of its time. made in black and white,it stars mickey rooney as the happless marshal, trying to catch evil roy. in the opening scene evil roy and his gang are in their secret hidout,when a rider draws near, the lookout calls to evil roy that a rider  is coming KILL HIM SAYS EVIL ROY, BUT ITS A WOMAN CALLS THE LOOKOUT OK  JUST MAME HER. that gives you some idea of the script throughout the movie. if you liked airplane then you will love this one
    Posted by bludreid11
    Black and white films make my head hurt :/
  • edited October 2011
    Am a huge film buff too :p

Caught a film I'd been meaning to watch for ages other day "25th hour".  Am a huge edward Norton fan but hadnt got round to it.

Great film.  Alot of American History x - esque soliloquy's, but great non the less.

Odd syncronisity also.   Played a live MTT a few days later.  Guy goes out on bubble and spouts a line from the film!  (DEA officors "Sheeeeeeeet":p).

Also caught Clive Barkers Midnight Meat Train.  Not my usual cup of tea but going through Bradley Coopers back catologue....myeh
  • edited October 2011
    Am a huge film buff too :p Caught a film I'd been meaning to watch for ages other day "25th hour".  Am a huge edward Norton fan but hadnt got round to it. Great film.  Alot of American History x - esque soliloquy's, but great non the less. Odd syncronisity also.   Played a live MTT a few days later.  Guy goes out on bubble and spouts a line from the film!  (DEA officors "Sheeeeeeeet":p). Also caught Clive Barkers Midnight Meat Train.  Not my usual cup of tea but going through Bradley Coopers back catologue....myeh
    Posted by AMYBR
    What channels have you been watching!?
  • edited October 2011
    Yep sikas!! Great not seen a film thread for ages, when i got time, do consider myself to be a bit of a buff!!! LOL!! Not as knowlegable as some of postee's here, bandinai & Darn can point u at some great film threads, year or 2 old on here!! Anyway '12 Angry Men' !! Yup defo in ma top 20!! Dead Mans Shoes!! Close, but great low budget brit film!! Point of ma post this time IS...... WATCH THIS ON TV.............. "THE STORY OF FILM" Channell More4 Sat 29th oct 9.45-11.10!! RECORD !! I think you will all like!! interviews with 'Chinatown' screen writer Robert Towne, 'The Graduate' writer Buck Henry & Charles Burnett, pioneering 'Black Film' Director!! These were words used in re-veiw that caught ma eye!! NOT A FILM, I KNOW!! but will defo be re-cording 'TOP BOY' channel 4, 10pm Mon 31st, a series, this got GREAT REVIEWS!! [Cant watch it as will be winning UKOPS1 LOL!!] GL The Hitman
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
    Darn's a buff. I'm just a fool. But spell my name right or there's a reckoning R-V!, lol.

Stand by my tips above and have love-filmed a few from above. Thanks. Randomly heard that Kurosawa has made a film of "The Lower Depths". One of my favourite books and Hartigan reckon's he's the best film producer ever. He's an Omaha donk (JimmyH) but he probably knows his films. Struggling to buy the film though. Little help would be nice.
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: the Movie thread : Darn's a buff. I'm just a fool. But spell my name right or there's a reckoning R-V!, lol. Stand by my tips above and have love-filmed a few from above. Thanks. Randomly heard that Kurosawa has made a film of "The Lower Depths". One of my favourite books and Hartigan reckon's he's the best film producer ever. He's an Omaha donk (JimmyH) but he probably knows his films. Struggling to buy the film though. Little help would be nice.
    Posted by bandini
    LOL Sry Mate!!

Watched 'Once Upon a Time in The West' AGAIN this week-end, GREAT FILM, Buffs will prob pick some holes in it, but I Love it, Great Cinematography & Score!!
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: the Movie thread : LOL Sry Mate!! Watched 'Once Upon a Time in The West' AGAIN this week-end, GREAT FILM, Buffs will prob pick some holes in it, but I Love it, Great Cinematography & Score!!
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
    Yeah, not just one of the greatest westerns but one of the greatest films ever made.

Bandini, you may be interested to know that back in August, Martin Scorsese was linked with doing a new version of Dostoevsky's The Gambler, but as he has a couple of projects already lined-up don't expect to see it any time soon.

The other night I watched Vampire's Kiss (1988 Robert Bierman). A little seen comedy fantasy from the 80's, the film itself wasn't up to much but it's well worth seeing for what might be the most outrageously over the top performance of Nicolas Cage's career.

I recentely rewatched No Country for Old Men (2007 Coen brothers) and There Will Be Blood (2007 Paul Thomas Anderson), surely two of the best films of the last 10 years.
  • edited October 2011
    Yeah No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood are two cracking films.

I've finally watched Drive. I have to say when I saw the trailer for this I thought it looked awful.  I then saw countless reviews all praising it and I have to say it lived upto the hype.

Is anybody watching Romanzo Criminale on Sky Arts ? I'm loving it so far.
  • edited October 2011
    You lot sound so sophisticated.

Kevin and Perry Go Large ftw!
  • edited October 2011
    And for foreign films look no further than Park Chan-Wook's "Vengeance Trilogy". They're only a trilogy in that they're based on similar themes and anyone can be watched on it's own. I'd heartily recommend all three though as they are so much ahead of 99% of what Hollywood can produce it's unreal.
    Posted by bandini
    Yeah always fancied seeing them, need to get on that.
  • edited October 2011

blue reid you are right evil roy slade is epic the theme tune is magnificent i thank you

• edited October 2011

I'll bring it down a level ...Lethal Weapon 2 was on the other night !the one with joe pesci and patsy(tats out) kensit.Best character is Joss Ackland playing evil south african diplomat/drug smuggler.Great final scene where joss acklands character announces "Diplomatic Immunity!!!! (for umpteenth time),and Murtagh shoots him whilst nearly dead shouting"Immunity Revoked !!!****hole"......pan away for long shot of carnage and other cops arriving late on scene.

May post more cultured choice when more sober!!Dave. 

• edited October 2011
    blazing saddles xxx
  • edited November 2011
    blazing saddles xxx
    Posted by paige55
    "The Sheriff's gettin Nearer"

[or was that 3 amigo's??]
  • edited November 2011
    BEST FILM : SEVEN SAMARUI, FANTASTIC JAPENESE FILM,the fight scenes are so realistic, the mag..seven was the updated version but isnt a patch on it.
  • edited November 2011
    Seen Christine on the TV the other day... another to the long list of rubbish Stephen King adaptations.

Don't get me wrong, there have been some good films come from SK books, but there have also been some truly awful ones too... Tommyknockers anyone...
  • edited November 2011
    BEST FILM : SEVEN SAMARUI, FANTASTIC JAPENESE FILM,the fight scenes are so realistic, the mag..seven was the updated version but isnt a patch on it.
    Posted by heathy13

THIS!