You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Right call or calling station?

I made the call at the end as you can see.

Basically, i am looking at myself as i am on a real losing streak at the moment. Some of it variance, some of it absolutely shocking from me. Confidence has taken a hit so i am just after a look at this please.

No reads.

How'd i do?

Do you call all the time on the river?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
ANGLINGMAN Small blind  40.00 40.00 1945.00
asr147 Big blind  80.00 120.00 7835.00
  Your hole cards

marco2505 Fold     
TiPe Fold     
DrSharp Raise  200.00 320.00 5970.00
SUZ Fold     
ANGLINGMAN Fold     
asr147 Call  120.00 440.00 7715.00
Flop

• Q

asr147 Check     
DrSharp Bet  220.00 660.00 5750.00
asr147 Call  220.00 880.00 7495.00
Turn

asr147 Check     
DrSharp Check     
River

asr147 Bet  560.00 1440.00 6935.00
DrSharp Call

Comments

• edited October 2011
    BTW it was a BH MTT!

30 left outta 80ish, top 10 get paid.
  • edited October 2011
    Call is fine, only worse hand that calls a raise is trips
  • edited October 2011
    reasons you opened?

bet flop bigger,

river call is fine,
  • edited October 2011
    Pre good.

Flop might bet bit more but not awful.

Turn fine.

River gotta call, he saw you check turn so might think his Qx is good.
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Right call or calling station?:
    reasons you opened? bet flop bigger, river call is fine,
    Posted by grantorino
    1) Its unopened, i am in a decent position so could steal the blinds.
    2) If called, my hand has potential to win someones entire stack if i hit flop full in the face.
    3) If called and i miss flop, i have a good chance of having position on everyone else aswell as being the pre flop aggressor which allows me to rep something.
    4) If everything goes pete tong, i have'nt invested much.

Thats my thinking.
  • edited October 2011
    glad to see you were betting it rather than calling it, def have to call or even shove on them, i think you showed weekness though at the end and he saw that, hes reraising you on the flop or turn if he has the Q unless its a weak Q and you cant put him on the 4 after pre flop raise and flop raise, i woulda bet big on the turn and if he calls again you gotta put it down or fire one more time on the river and represent the flush or fh. he was scared of the board as much as you were and sensed the weakness and had a jab at it.

what did he have?
  • edited October 2011
    I pressume he had you since your posting this up asking if it was ok.

But I think as played I would call too, pretty much for the reasons Dudeskin says above, the check turn may convince him his Qx is good, personally wouldn't feel confident enough he doesn't have the FH or flush to raise/shove though, unless I had reads on him..
  • edited October 2011
    So you've began mixing it up pre then? :p

Like the bet size.  Raise EP small, c-betting smaller on most flops. As it stands we connect, getting the opportunity to make our hand at a discount through streets.

Like it.
  • edited October 2011
    glad to see you were betting it rather than calling it, def have to call or even shove on them, i think you showed weekness though at the end and he saw that, hes reraising you on the flop or turn if he has the Q unless its a weak Q and you cant put him on the 4 after pre flop raise and flop raise, i woulda bet big on the turn and if he calls again you gotta put it down or fire one more time on the river and represent the flush or fh. he was scared of the board as much as you were and sensed the weakness and had a jab at it. what did he have?
    Posted by Dazler
    definitely can not shove, everything gets there on the river ie flushes/houses shoving here would be ridiculous unless you have specific reads where hes going to snap you off with a Q or a bare 4......

flatting the river is fine raising the river would be pointless as if he shoves over the top you have to fold and then basically just bled chips you didn't need to flat river lose min. if he has the flush played it perfect !
  • edited October 2011
    glad to see you were betting it rather than calling it, def have to call or even shove on them, i think you showed weekness though at the end and he saw that, hes reraising you on the flop or turn if he has the Q unless its a weak Q and you cant put him on the 4 after pre flop raise and flop raise, i woulda bet big on the turn and if he calls again you gotta put it down or fire one more time on the river and represent the flush or fh. he was scared of the board as much as you were and sensed the weakness and had a jab at it. what did he have?
    Posted by Dazler

Thanks Dazler for the reply, i know you are successful at MTT's. I am not sure i am comfortable raising this as i think only better hands will call or shove on me.

• edited October 2011
    So you've began mixing it up pre then? :p Like the bet size.  Raise EP small, c-betting smaller on most flops. As it stands we connect, getting the opportunity to make our hand at a discount through streets. Like it.
    Posted by AMYBR
    Hi mate. Been on a bit of a downswing at all sides of the game but yeah, giving it a real go. You just call on the end?
  • edited October 2011
    Yeah think so.  Its very hard to put him on a Q, so dont believe your going to get called by worse when popping it.

If there is a hand to be fearful of it is spades, but it doesnt seem like he has it.

But my main reason for flatting is the small ball strategy we discussed.  If we are opting to take the small ball/nip & tuck line, then popping it goes against the grain.  We've made our hand.  We've made it cheaply and its disguised.  We are either bluff catching or dominated here mostly.  No need to turn it up a notch on this board.

But I really like the way you play the hand.  Seems like at the turn your river 1pr hands will be good, as will be completing the staight.  Your stack is healthy enough to take multiple lines here.  You could bet the turn if you get the impression (from at table dynamic) he releases, but think a check is also fine.  As he will also be c/fing alot of rivers also, balanced with making and not making your hand.

I like the pre flop bet size, I like the flop bet, especially if you were firing that size on virtually all boards.  I think c/cing river is best line.

FWIW alot of players limp to call a raise here pre.  You take control and give yourself multiple ways to take this pot down.  But you equally keep firm control on the pot size, never putting youself in a needlessly bad spot.
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Right call or calling station? : 1) Its unopened, i am in a decent position so could steal the blinds. 2) If called, my hand has potential to win someones entire stack if i hit flop full in the face. 3) If called and i miss flop, i have a good chance of having position on everyone else aswell as being the pre flop aggressor which allows me to rep something. 4) If everything goes pete tong, i have'nt invested much. Thats my thinking.
    Posted by DrSharp
    Wasnt saying its bad to open, and I would prob open here, but just to look at the flipside here:

1. Its a (Im assuming low stakes) sky bounty hunter, do you take it down pre often?
    2. You have  75BB and SB has only about 25BB, so implied odds are limited. Also you wont hit flop better than a weak pair or draw too often against opponents who dont like folding
    3.  Yeah sure, but you are prob against guys that wont fold any pair/draw
    4. Fair enough

Again I dont mind the open, I would just consider some of the above points when deciding whether to open or fold, I think its pretty dependent on villains
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Right call or calling station? : Wasnt saying its bad to open, and I would prob open here, but just to look at the flipside here: 1. Its a (Im assuming low stakes) sky bounty hunter, do you take it down pre often? 2. You have  75BB and SB has only about 25BB, so implied odds are limited. Also you wont hit flop better than a weak pair or draw too often against opponents who dont like folding 3.  Yeah sure, but you are prob against guys that wont fold any pair/draw 4. Fair enough Again I dont mind the open, I would just consider some of the above points when deciding whether to open or fold, I think its pretty dependent on villains
    Posted by grantorino
    I hear what your saying here grantorino.  But there is a furthar flipside to this: do we actually want opponents to fold from the blinds here?

I would argue no.

• edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Right call or calling station? : I hear what your saying here grantorino.  But there is a furthar flipside to this: do we actually want opponents to fold from the blinds here? I would argue no.
    Posted by AMYBR
    I do unless they are very weak postflop. Why do you want a call (or multiple callers)? Obv we dont want to be raised
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Right call or calling station? : I do unless they are very weak postflop. Why do you want a call (or multiple callers)? Obv we dont want to be raised
    Posted by grantorino

I'd rather be raised than flatted when opening here pre.
    I'd rather be raised by a real hand than flatted when opening here pre. EDIT (apologies, meant this rather than above.)

On one level I agree that with the SB being relatively short we could give this one a miss.

But on another level there are a huge number of reasons to get involved here.  But as said, to lead same half pot bet on most flops.  IMO we shouldnt be raising here, especially this amount, looking for folds from the blinds.  I'm going to be far happier getting a call from one, seeing a c/f on most flops, or getting value on a connected board.  It goes south, its a marginal loss.  But there are advantages gained from the marginal loss in terms of dynamic and image.
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Right call or calling station? : I'd rather be raised than flatted when opening here pre. On one level I agree that with the SB being relatively short we could give this one a miss. But on another level there are a huge number of reasons to get involved here.  But as said, to lead same half pot bet on most flops.  IMO we shouldnt be raising here, especially this amount, looking for folds from the blinds.  I'm going to be far happier getting a call from one, seeing a c/f on most flops, or getting value on a connected board.  It goes south, its a marginal loss.  But there are advantages gained from the marginal loss in terms of dynamic and image.
    Posted by AMYBR
    Im confused, you  dont want blinds to fold, but you would prefer be raised than called?

Yeah obv we want 1 caller who c/f (This is what I meant about being weak postflop) , but how often does that happen is the key question. There are not many flops we can get value on imo unless we make 2 pair plus. Not sure how much worth it is to our image unless we get to showdown, which we prob wont too often when we lose

As I said I think the open is ok, and I usually open myself in this kind of spot without thinking too much about it. I feel this may be a leak though as the tendencies of villains behind will have a big impact on whether opening is good (and also whether it makes much difference that its 65s instead of 83o or something)
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Right call or calling station? : Im confused, you  dont want blinds to fold, but you would prefer be raised than called? Yeah obv we want 1 caller who c/f (This is what I meant about being weak postflop) , but how often does that happen is the key question. There are not many flops we can get value on imo unless we make 2 pair plus. Not sure how much worth it is to our image unless we get to showdown, which we prob wont too often when we lose As I said I think the open is ok, and I usually open myself in this kind of spot without thinking too much about it. I feel this may be a leak though as the tendencies of villains behind will have a big impact on whether opening is good (and also whether it makes much difference that its 65s instead of 83o or something)
    Posted by grantorino
    A raise is a clear indication of where the hand is heading, rather than a flat then lead post or c/c c/r post.  We get raised pre our line and decision making is easy.

The rest of what you say implies that the oop caller connects, and connects strongly enough to continue.  Which we both know is more unlikely than likely.

If we come up against resistance we suffer a 2.5 - 6 bb loss from a stack of 75 bb's.  Other than this we have position and betting lead, with a hand of potential, vs the blind who will c/f flop or turn enough for the blinds flat to be profitable.  More profitable than the scenario where blinds fold pre
  • edited October 2011
    Ok, no point discussing the story of the hand without seeing the end of it. Everyone likes a happy ending dont they?

A couple of points raised on this thread i need to address.

Firstly, a couple of comments about my bet sizing on the flop. With this stack, i am playing small ball stuff and if i hit the nuts or miss the flop, its getting bet half pot regardless. I am just trying a different strategy at the moment.

Secondly, Dazler said i should maybe bet turn, now i may be right or wrong here, but my opinion on this is that i have a nice drawing hand on the flop so bet after being checked to i bet half pot (small ball stuff) and get flat called, villain checks the turn to me after i miss the draw, i feel my aggression on the flop has won me a free river card to see if i hit or even rep something if the conditions suit. If i bet turn and villain calls, its going to risk me more chips on the river to have a stab at winning the hand due to the inflated pot. Be interesting to hear your views Dazler on this way of thinking.

Thirdly, Grantorino, i hope my original reply to you did'nt come across as a bit mardy, it certainly was'nt intended that way. You asked for my reasons, and i put my thinking down. You have been a massive influence on my game, hope it didnt come across badly in any way.

Finally, i would have been happy to take the blinds without seeing a flop, but i also thought that with a hand like this, i had a back up plan or two if called. It gave me options, flushes, straights and 2 pair dont hit often but if the flop is reppable then i am confident i can get it through (if i am not repping villains hand lol) and it is also disguised if i do hit a big hand. Yes the small blind has a relatively small stack but the big blind has a nice stack and i cant remember what the button had.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    ANGLINGMAN Small blind  40.00 40.00 1945.00
    asr147 Big blind  80.00 120.00 7835.00
      Your hole cards

marco2505 Fold     
    TiPe Fold     
    DrSharp Raise  200.00 320.00 5970.00
    SUZ Fold     
    ANGLINGMAN Fold     
    asr147 Call  120.00 440.00 7715.00
    Flop

• Q

asr147 Check     
    DrSharp Bet  220.00 660.00 5750.00
    asr147 Call  220.00 880.00 7495.00
    Turn

asr147 Check     
    DrSharp Check     
    River

asr147 Bet  560.00 1440.00 6935.00
    DrSharp Call  560.00 2000.00 5190.00
    asr147 Show
    • K

DrSharp Show

DrSharp Win Straight to the 6 2000.00
  • edited October 2011
    PS - Soooooo glad i didnt hit the flush!!
  • edited October 2011
    "villain checks the turn to me after i miss the draw, i feel my aggression on the flop has won me a free river card to see if i hit or even rep something if the conditions suit. If i bet turn and villain calls, its going to risk me more chips on the river to have a stab at winning the hand due to the inflated pot"

Very well put.  Couldnt agree more.  Especially if your going to fire river if he checks to you again (and you've missed).

As said origonally, seemed like your 1pr river hands were going to be good also (being happy to most likely check back river 1pr hands).

• edited October 2011

Open 56s in late pos (or any pos.) and u don't want the blinds to fold???????????

:O:O:O

• edited October 2011
    Got to be honest Doh, if I'm sat with a healthy stack I dont think I ever want both blinds to fold.

Definately dont want both, but would rather one than neither.
  • edited October 2011
    Bit random but in cash 100bb deep and you open with 56s from late position/btn do you want blinds to fold, isn't it  a case of creating a pot to then take down on flop/hitting strong with disguised hand or have I got this wrong ?
  • edited October 2011
    You will pick up more from the blind stationing, then c/fing over sample than you will when the blinds just fold.  With the added advantage of potentially making a hand, plus we keep our range disguised.  Also increasing the likelyhood of being played back at when strong.

You could fill pages and pages with strategy surrounding this element.  Some people subscribe to the line, some people dont.  Thats Poker.  But we dont raise essentialy for people to fold.  We arent simply looking for big hands to collide, getting big chunks of stack in there.  There are smaller pots to be had cheaply along the way.  We arent just looking to pick up the blinds here.

So yes, what you mention in part Dudeskin.  But as long as we fire a realistic amount of time into any flop post it will be profitable, wether we connect or not.  But remembering we arent even playing for 6BB's out of a 75bb stack here.
  • edited October 2011
    If oppo is calling oop wide then yeah we want them to call whatever we are raising with

If they fold - ok - if they call - ok

we don't want them to raise now do we unless we have a hand we can fight back with
  • edited October 2011
    Yeah I didnt put across what I meant on that bit well, went back and edited it (acknoledging the edit) earlier.

Ours plans for the hand change if raised.  But yes, a flat is far prefferable to a raise in this scenario, my bad :p
  • edited October 2011
    see i knew he was at it lol thats why i said about the shoving on the river teehee. Was kinda obv from the way he was just flatting and a bet on the river size kinda gave it away. As i said a raise on the turn woulda made him fold so infact as you hit the st8 you had him hook line and sinker and the check call worked out fine maybe a min raise on the river to get value as he could have the flush but i didnt think he did, but saftey calling i suppose. Remember just cos you see a possible flush dosnt mean they always have it and he dosnt know that you dont have it! Wp m8
  • edited October 2011
    You will pick up more from the blind stationing, then c/fing over sample than you will when the blinds just fold.  With the added advantage of potentially making a hand, plus we keep our range disguised.  Also increasing the likelyhood of being played back at when strong. You could fill pages and pages with strategy surrounding this element.  Some people subscribe to the line, some people dont.  Thats Poker.  But we dont raise essentialy for people to fold.  We arent simply looking for big hands to collide, getting big chunks of stack in there.  There are smaller pots to be had cheaply along the way.  We arent just looking to pick up the blinds here. So yes, what you mention in part Dudeskin.  But as long as we fire a realistic amount of time into any flop post it will be profitable, wether we connect or not.  But remembering we arent even playing for 6BB's out of a 75bb stack here.
    Posted by AMYBR
    I dont think its at all clear that its going to be more profitable when blinds flat us than when they fold. That depends on their calling range pre and how they play postflop. We cant just assume we take it down with a cbet nearly always. Villains postflop play is going to be a huge factor here, for example can we make him fold when he flops a pair and we flop a big draw. Also I definitely want anyone Im oop to to fold here

Agree about picking up small pots, and there are other advantages to opening these type of hands. Just think its going to be villain dependent if we want folds or calls
  • edited October 2011

easiest call ever as played

Preflop i like

I would barrel the turn also

nice hand