You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Doesn't seem to matter what odds you get to call on here....they will call any bet when they have 4

2»

Comments

• edited November 2011
    Blimey what is it with people on this site, sooooo touchy. How old r u. 

Are you not allowed to disagree with someone without them kicking off and getting mardy on???

Chill out cocker.

• edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Doesn't seem to matter what odds you get to call on here....they will call any bet when they have 4 to the flush!:
    Blimey what is it with people on this site, sooooo touchy. How old r u.  Are you not allowed to disagree with someone without them kicking off and getting mardy on??? Chill out cocker.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Well with that reply dohhh youve now got on my T**S

I am however only taking the P*SS

;))
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Doesn't seem to matter what odds you get to call on here....they will call any bet when they have 4 to the flush!:
    In Response to Re: Doesn't seem to matter what odds you get to call on here....they will call any bet when they have 4 to the flush! : Well with that reply dohhh youve now got on my T**S I am however only taking the P*SS ;))
    Posted by debdobs_67
    Result! :D
  • edited November 2011
    Interesting thread.
    there is no right or wrong arguement here between dohh and daz.

cos the blinds are so small the terrible 9x raise is insignificant as he cud be calling with any ace, kq, qj suited or any pp(to set mine).

JAMMING on the flop is bad play because..we're risking our tournement life for 600 odd chips(w.e it is). i play low stakes and see this move all the time. 'urgh lets jam it in and hope' well im glad he hits diamond as this is poor play.
    GOOD poker players bet for information here. if we bet 3/4 and he calls and a diamond does hit, we can get away and still have over 30bbs. if diamond misses we can jam turn..if he calls we can have the satisfaction of knowing we were huge favourites to win and oppo didnt have correct odds. By jamming on flop ur giving him 2 chances to hit his diamond as opposed to one on the turn. HUGE HUGE difference and 2 looks better than 1.
  • edited November 2011
    Bobiscool you make some very valid points on how and why the hand should be played differently which runs pretty much to my way of thinking. But there is no escaping the fact, that as played, you want a call. The OP is complaining that when he sets the price to draw as his oppo's stack, they call and hit, depsite not getting the odds. Getting worse hands to call is a poker fundamental. You can guarantee that if he'd missed his draw, there wouldn't be a thread about it. Any time I can get all the chips in with a 30% edge over my opponent, I'm happy.
  • edited November 2011
    I think doh and dazler are arguing different points here tbh, but w/e.

There are 2 reasons to bet for value or as a bluff. As bluffing that board with AA is completely nonsensical I assume people are valuebetting if they bet that board, whatever sizing they decide on. Therefore they want villain to continue, so betting then whinging about how bad villain is when you are called is redic

Dazler betting less because we know villain will call seems bad to me, we make money when villain makes mistakes so make him make as big a one as possible (esp as when villains are drawing we dont usually get paid on river when they miss). Im not going to get into sizing for this particular hand, personally I dont like heros sizing pre or on flop, but if he knows he gets called enough with worse its hard argue with it, although draws equity halves on turn as bobsicool points out

Also bosicool I dont know any good players, apart from perhaps yourself, who bet that board for info esp readless
  • edited November 2011
    You bet for information because there is 3 diamonds out...its a relatively scary board for aces. if we check and he bets were in a bad spot.
    if we check and he checks behind were in the same spot and missed out on value.

so we bet.(.i dont know the villain or stakes so no reads) if he calls we know he has something..using maths in poker we have to assume he wud either call with top pair or a flush draw..as its unlikely he has flopped a flush. if the next card is the diamond we slow down and lose the minimum.

if we bet he re-raises us we can fold and move on.

so yes betting is the best option, i wud be betting for value/information.

Mohican i understand his moaning cos the flush draw hit. imo they have both played the hand incorrectly and it ended up being a russian roulette where unfortunately the op was beaten.
  • edited November 2011
    this was a dym game and i lost this by betting the lot but i knew i was ahead for def unless they hit set but those odds im happy to take. As i said in earlier posting different ways to play it sometimes its the right move, but others would say this was the wrong move in a dym. I could have just flatted and seen the turn or could have raised but the amount already in called for a shove after they raised 400 not gonna call that and raise all in was only option to take controll of the hand and i knew how badly they were playing. Game over if they dont hit i double up as only 3 would be standin. i dont blame the call here with flush and st8 draw although only card that could save them was a J or dimond not that many outs! and was obv thats what they were on if not a weaker A. With 3 suited cards on the flop its a differnt story.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    STEVE1937 Small blind
    25.00 25.00 4030.00
    peakz Big blind   50.00 75.00 3710.00
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • A

benmar Call   50.00 125.00 1770.00
    Dazler Raise   150.00 275.00 2120.00
    anunaki All-in   95.00 370.00 0.00
    STEVE1937 Call   125.00 495.00 3905.00
    peakz Call   100.00 595.00 3610.00
    benmar Call   100.00 695.00 1670.00
    Flop

• K
    • A

STEVE1937 Check        
    peakz Bet   400.00 1095.00 3210.00
    benmar Fold        
    Dazler All-in   2120.00 3215.00 0.00
    STEVE1937 Fold        
    peakz Call   1720.00 4935.00 1490.00
    peakz Show
    • Q

Dazler Show
    • K
    • A

anunaki Show
    • A

Turn

• J

River

peakz Win Straight to the Ace 4935.00   6425.00
  • edited November 2011
    No u played the hand perfectly.

No good player will disagree with the way you played this. 
  • edited November 2011
    No u played the hand perfectly. No good player will disagree with the way you played this. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    im not asking for your aproval on the hand here dohhhhh! its an example of the diffence in reasons of a shove on a flush board.
  • edited November 2011
    OK we will use that hand as an example........

Why would u ever think that doing anything other than getting all the money in on the flop wud be a good idea?

• edited November 2011
    OK we will use that hand as an example........ Why would u ever think that doing anything other than getting all the money in on the flop wud be a good idea?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    im not even gonna discuss it with you dohhhh you have alread disrespected my advice in gerneral from your earlier comments so ill leave it to someone else to discuss, you didnt want too talk about hands and said this wasnt the poker clinic so fine... i wont
  • edited November 2011
    OK we will use that hand as an example........ Why would u ever think that doing anything other than getting all the money in on the flop wud be a good idea?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Is it coz u can't answer this perfectly reasonable question?
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Doesn't seem to matter what odds you get to call on here....they will call any bet when they have 4 to the flush! : Is it coz u can't answer this perfectly reasonable question?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    go away do and stop being a piluk
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Doesn't seem to matter what odds you get to call on here....they will call any bet when they have 4 to the flush! : Is it coz u can't answer this perfectly reasonable question?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I agree ,Cmon the dazler answer!!
  • edited November 2011
  • edited November 2011

Ok dazler that hand is perfect imo.

1) its a dym...and in middle stages. dym is fast n furious
    2) there is multiple opponents in pot
    3) someone has already committed 400 chips..so has 700 left. easy jam as his definately going to call as pot committed.
  • edited November 2011
    Ok dazler that hand is perfect imo. 1) its a dym...and in middle stages. dym is fast n furious 2) there is multiple opponents in pot 3) someone has already committed 400 chips..so has 700 left. easy jam as his definately going to call as pot committed.
    Posted by Bobsicool3
    yea i know that bobsicool would play it the same everytime, i put it on there to show when it is ideal to shove on a drawing hand as apose to the OP which i suggested it may not be. Blinds are bigger and its middle stages as you said. if you were the other player would you call?
  • ybyb
    edited November 2011
    yes i too have found this trend and players dont really understand the odds of hitting a flush and when you bet to get them off it they should be folding but they dont. I had to change my style big time because of this and you wont find it as much live but online its easy to press a button and call. So many players calling with any 2 suited cards no matter how high or low like 10,2 dimonds hoping to get a flushing flop and they shove the lot, absolute crazy bingo poker for beginners as a good player knows when to fold. Just change your style when you know you have bad players who are more likely to play like this. Keep the betting low if they are likely to keep calling and punish them on the river when they miss.  Only thing on this hand is he did have the nut flush and 2 over cards and sometimes players will gamble i have done it with hands like this, its the ones who call with rubbish hands that make you sick.
    Posted by Dazler
    how do you punish them on blank rivers?
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Doesn't seem to matter what odds you get to call on here....they will call any bet when they have 4 to the flush! : how do you punish them on blank rivers?
    Posted by yb
    valid point lol unless they try and bluff which i find quite often is the case when they miss it, but you can string them along to the river and take down a decent sized stack of theres if there prone to continuoulsy call on draws and miss, this is what i meant by this. Rather than you being punished for your whole stack against a bad drawing hand by shoving post.
  • ybyb
    edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Doesn't seem to matter what odds you get to call on here....they will call any bet when they have 4 to the flush! : valid point lol unless they try and bluff which i find quite often is the case when they miss it, but you can string them along to the river and take down a decent sized stack of theres if there prone to continuoulsy call on draws and miss, this is what i meant by this. Rather than you being punished for your whole stack against a bad drawing hand by shoving post.
    Posted by Dazler
    meh if it was a choice between getting 30% or 100% of my stack in as a 65% favourite i know which one i'd choose!
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Doesn't seem to matter what odds you get to call on here....they will call any bet when they have 4 to the flush! : meh if it was a choice between getting 30% or 100% of my stack in as a 65% favourite i know which one i'd choose!
    Posted by yb
    depends on the scenario can be differnt depending on how you feel about it at the time and whether you wanna risk your torny life or not that early on. Im not saying never do it just if you keep getting outdrawn all the time change your syle of play to suit. If your happy to do it then do it, you may be a tight player or a loose player everyones different, If you were on the bubble for instance would you make that move and at what cost will it be if they do hit. Theres no right or wrong just differnt ways of playing it.
  • edited November 2011
    as you can see here i bet only half the pot, and enduce him to call im not risking everything until the turn and he still feels he has odds to call on his K high flush draw but with only one card not 2 cards to come its even less risk to me and i have him pot commited and double up, but what if i shoved on the flop rather than reraising? im taking more risks and taking a complete gamble. Again this was a dym and blinds were only 30 as apose to the previous hand i showed where blinds were higher.
    PlastikTaf Small blind   15.00 15.00 3695.00
    Dazler Big blind   30.00 45.00 2350.00
      Your hole cards

CARTHIEF Fold        
    kingeck Raise   90.00 135.00 4951.00
    PlastikTaf Fold        
    Dazler Call   60.00 195.00 2290.00
    Flop

• A

Dazler Bet   97.50 292.50 2192.50
    kingeck Raise   195.00 487.50 4756.00
    Dazler Raise   536.25 1023.75 1656.25
    kingeck Call   438.75 1462.50 4317.25
    Turn

Dazler All-in   1656.25 3118.75 0.00
    kingeck Call   1656.25 4775.00 2661.00
    Dazler Show

kingeck Show
    • K

River

Dazler Win Three 4s 4775.00   4775.00
  • edited November 2011
    this one i didnt play so well and prob should have put a bet out on the turn but had 2 callers on the flop so i have to presume that one has a heart in there hand and fold on the river after they bet. But i took a gamble in this instance and still survived and went on to cash but if i did hold pk As for instance and shoved i think that would be a reckless move and wouldnt of cashed.
    bodanel83 Small blind   25.00 25.00 1625.00
    Dazler Big blind   50.00 75.00 1785.00
      Your hole cards
    • A

booboo69 Call   50.00 125.00 2025.00
    madmaxdave Fold        
    hawkslay23 Fold        
    Dragon82 Fold        
    bodanel83 Call   25.00 150.00 1600.00
    Dazler Raise   100.00 250.00 1685.00
    booboo69 Call   100.00 350.00 1925.00
    bodanel83 Call   100.00 450.00 1500.00
    Flop

bodanel83 Check        
    Dazler Bet   125.00 575.00 1560.00
    booboo69 Call   125.00 700.00 1800.00
    bodanel83 Call   125.00 825.00 1375.00
    Turn

• A

bodanel83 Check        
    Dazler Check        
    booboo69 Check        
    River

bodanel83 Bet   412.50 1237.50 962.50
    Dazler Call   412.50 1650.00 1147.50
    booboo69 Fold        
    bodanel83 Show
    • Q

Dazler Muck
    • A

bodanel83 Win Flush to the Ace 1650.00   2612.50
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Doesn't seem to matter what odds you get to call on here....they will call any bet when they have 4 to the flush! : depends on the scenario can be differnt depending on how you feel about it at the time and whether you wanna risk your torny life or not that early on. Im not saying never do it just if you keep getting outdrawn all the time change your syle of play to suit. If your happy to do it then do it, you may be a tight player or a loose player everyones different, If you were on the bubble for instance would you make that move and at what cost will it be if they do hit. Theres no right or wrong just differnt ways of playing it.
    Posted by Dazler
    no no no no no no NOOOOOOOOOOOO

agghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Doesn't seem to matter what odds you get to call on here....they will call any bet when they have 4 to the flush! : no no no no no no NOOOOOOOOOOOO agghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    so just shove um all in then dohhhh thats your answer is it?. Will have to agree to disagree cos we aint going to agree i can see that ;)
  • edited November 2011
    You've gone off on a tangent again and talking about something completely different.

" just if you keep getting outdrawn all the time change your syle of play to suit."

Changing your game because you're running bad is a bad idea.

If you roll an unbiased dice, and everytime it's a 1, 2, 3 or 4 you win 50 pounds + your 50 pound stake back, but everytime it's a 5 or 6, you lose your 50 pounds stake money.

It comes a 5 or a 6 fifteen times in a row. so you lose 15 x £50.

What do you bet on on the 16th roll?

Do you change ur tactic and bet on the 5 or 6 coming up, or continue to bet on 1,2,3 & 4, because it's the the correct thing to do, +ev,  and over time you will make money doing it?

• edited November 2011
    put the full sentence in dohhh

Im not saying never do it just if you keep getting outdrawn all the time change your syle of play to suit. If your happy to do it then do it, you may be a tight player or a loose player everyones different

the guy in the OP shoves on suited boards yes? and has posted it cos he prob does this a lot and loses. he says it dosnt seem to matter what odds you get on a 4 to the flush there gonna call yes? its for his torny life yes? The blinds are low yes? So dont you think he should change his style of play? and learn to play diffently?
  • edited November 2011
    i changed my style of play because i was betting too much and kept being outdrawn since ive been more cautious with these types of players and mixed it up a bit my poker has improved. If i just stuck to the same type of play each time i would be predictable also. So depending on bet sizes, stack and whats on the board i change my style against a loose drawing player.