You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Small blind, aggressive player....

2»

Comments

• edited October 2009
    Don't think i could fold here if i was wanting to win. The bully must have a wide range and i'd be happy to have two live cards even if he'd shoved with A-rag. As for the minimum i'd call with, difficult one, maybe K10
  • edited October 2009
  • edited October 2009
    I realised I haven't actually offered my thoughts on this, so here goes.

The button is aggressive we have to remember that he's not really doing anything wrong being like that. He's got the chips, he can afford it. He's either running really godly or doing something right to have gotten this deep. 

Now, he shoves the button. It's not a 3x, it's the lot. Is he really likely to do this with nadda? No, I don't think so. I might be miles off here, but I think he's got to have something like:

A7+
    KT+
    QJ+
    All Pairs.

Do I want to call off my whole stack against that range? Intuitively I say no. It will be interesting to see how KJs compares to that range though, right? So here it is:

Equity Win Tie      
    44.804%   42.61% 02.20%      { KcJc }
    55.196%   53.00% 02.20%      { 22+, A5s+, KTs+, QJs, A5o+, KTo+, QJo }

Basically we need 45% equity to call here. The pot has the blinds and antes in there, so we're getting the right odds.

However, this is tournament poker and with that comes other considerations. Our tournament life is at risk and we're thinking of calling while our equity is 45%. That just doesn't feel right. 

The numbers don't feel right, the feel doesn't feel right. Yes we're passing a good hand, but I am happier shoving with any two than I am calling off in this spot. It's close - very close indeed - but I think I fold too.

Thoughts? Great thread this and one of the closest polls we've had on these hand situations.

• edited November 2009
    I am known as a loose player and I have made many big calls in tournaments in the later stages which have only gone and cost me my chance of binking a huge cash, from my experience this is a FOLD, the button only has to have A-2o and you a drawing thin and have to hit to win for your tournament life when you have a whole round to wait for a better hand it seems like a bad call as you have the button next, and if folded round you can shove any 2 and win the blinds to give yourself some extra time to recover.
  • edited November 2009
    I would call and hope I hit to put me into a far better position.
    If I miss then at least I went out fighting. Always next game.
    Spend next 30 mins curising the person on the bubble that stopped me getting paid. Drink a beer or wine. Moan rest of day etc, etc.
  • edited November 2009
    yep has to be call
  • edited November 2009
    Ok the shove from the button worries me.

We know he's using his stack to bully, and has done so on previous hands (the question is has he just been putting in raises on these previous hands or has he been shoving like he has done here). If the shove has not been his usual recent type of move, then why is he shoving now, small pocket pair or ace rag maybe, no matter what at best im 50/50.

However I'm second small stack, and at this stage I'm not too bothered about laddering, I want to give myself a chance to get in the top 3 prizes at least. Ideally I want to be in a position to shove first, and I've got another 4 hands before I need to start paying the blinds, although there is a cost in antes of 3k.

Every other stack at the table can knock me out, and given that the large stack is bossing the table, I have to assume if none of the players acting before him make a raise then its unlikely that the large stack wont put in a raise , at which stage I'm facing a similar situation that I am already in. The only probable opportunity for me to get my chips in first is when I am under the gun and the large stack will be on the BB, thus he would need to call 19k, so he's getting 2-1 on his money, so I have to presume that  I will get at least one call to my push.

Therefore I have to presume that I have 3 chances to get a better hand than I already have, whereby I would end up calling a raise for all my chips, with one opportunity to get my chips in first, before my fold equity id reduced to 0. I presuming that the blinds are also going to remain the same during this period, and that they are not due to be increased.

If my aim is to squeeze as much prize money as I can, and therefore even an increase of £30 in prize money is important to me, then I'm folding and hoping I can either get a better opportunity to put my chips in, or else I can just ladder up.

However if I am looking to give myself a chance of winning then I need to consider what the large stack has pushed with. Against a small pair or ace rag I'm a 4/3 underdog and I'm being offered about 1 1/2 times my money, so I have the odds to call, and to have a chance of being able to win one of the top prizes, I'd reluctantly make the call with the KJ
  • edited November 2009
    Definite fold.

I'd rather be shipping the button with 72 os my next hand than calling that all in there. I think A9/T and 77 upwards are my calling range.
  • edited November 2009
    I wan to see a at least QQ. Depending on what I have picked up about the other player, I would fold unsuited KJ, KT or QJ. I have lost too many hands in the past with AK suited because I have not hit. End of day, AK - AQ etc
     is just an A high if you don't hit.
    However if my gut said bet and I had been having a tough night, then I might just say go for it. But most likely to fold.