You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

TIKAY WAS I RIGHT OR WRONG?

2»

Comments

• edited October 2009
    I like Torry's idea on a satellite for this. I'd love to have a go at it but my BR dictates that I really shouldn't. However, a £5 sat is a different thing and it might tempt a few other in too particularly as the night's are longer now.
  • edited October 2009
    Am I missing your point somewhere?
    Posted by Tikay10

I don't believe you are missing my point.

The guarantee is a carrot on a string (i.e. an eternal carrot that never gets eaten)

Carrot's on strings rarely work.

If a tournament can't stand on its own feet a temporary guarantee will not make it stand.

It will create a false situation that there is a bonus to be had - but the bonus is never to be had if enough people sign up.

The guarantee is to encourage people to sign up & disappears when they do.

If they don't turn up the tournament will disappear (i.e. the carrot got eaten too many times & will not be replaced)

So the point is - why bother? If a tournament can stand on it's own it is guaranteed to survive.

If a donkey wants to walk it will walk. It soon gets fed up chasing a carrot on a string.

All the best
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: TIKAY WAS I RIGHT OR WRONG?:
    Surely as long as it hits 15 runners or more MOST nights then the tournie is safe, as the combined entry fees of when it gets 18-22 runners will pay for the odd night when it gets 13-14??? Poker players love overlay so its not something that happens often
    Posted by scotty77
    I hope so, yes.

As it happens, since the Guarantee dropped to £300 from £400, & everyone, particularly Barry, started being noisy neighbours, the numbers have averaged nearly 20.

We just have to sustain that. Maybe if the numbers creep back up, we can get the Guarantee back up - it used to be £500, as I recall.

• edited October 2009
    Am I missing your point somewhere? Posted by Tikay10
    "I don't believe you are missing my point. The guarantee is a carrot on a string (i.e. an eternal carrot that never gets eaten) Carrot's on strings rarely work. If a tournament can't stand on its own feet a temporary guarantee will not make it stand. It will create a false situation that there is a bonus to be had - but the bonus is never to be had if enough people sign up. The guarantee is to encourage people to sign up & disappears when they do. If they don't turn up the tournament will disappear (i.e. the carrot got eaten too many times & will not be replaced) So the point is - why bother? If a tournament can stand on it's own it is guaranteed to survive. If a donkey wants to walk it will walk. It soon gets fed up chasing a carrot on a string. All the best
    Posted by Sherlock..."

Well that's a different perspective entirely. But it's certainly not disingenious to remove guarantees which dont do the job they are designed to do.

Personally, I would NEVER offer guarantees, because I think the free market sorts itself out, & folks will play it, or not, as they prefer. But these days, everyone offers them, so I guess they are here to stay. But a Guarantee has never, never ever, tempted me to play a Tourney I would not otherwise have done. But Im an oddbod. We can agree on that, eh?

Oh & All the Best to you, too. I'm a soft touch for anyone with good manners!
  • edited October 2009
    Well that's a different perspective entirely. But it's certainly not disingenious to remove guarantees which dont do the job they are designed to do. Personally, I would NEVER offer guarantees, because I think the free market sorts itself out, & folks will play it, or not, as they prefer. But these days, everyone offers them, so I guess they are here to stay. But a Guarantee has never, never ever, tempted me to play a Tourney I would not otherwise have done. But Im an oddbod. We can agree on that, eh? Oh & All the Best to you, too. I'm a soft touch for anyone with good manners!
    Posted by Tikay10

TiKay,

We have arrived at common ground - The disingenious comment was a bit strong - I withdraw it.

I couldn't agree more with your comments above.

It's nice to be nice.

All the best
  • edited October 2009

Thank you Sherlock - top man you.

You still work in Baker Street?
  • edited October 2009
    Thank you Sherlock - top man you. You still work in Baker Street?
    Posted by Tikay10

No TiKay,

We sublet to somebody called Gerry Rafferty?

All the best

• edited October 2009
    A £2.20 1/10 or a £4.40 1/5 would be a nice satellite for this tournament, and if there are SNGs as well as scheduled sats, you might get a few more runners that way. :-)
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: TIKAY WAS I RIGHT OR WRONG? : No TiKay, We sublet to somebody called Gerry Rafferty? All the best
    Posted by Sherlock
    Wow, you are quite old then, if you remember that! Good grief. I am not sure, but I think that track was recorded down in Oxfordshire somewhere.

Just re-reading your Posts in this thread, & having a reflective muse (can't beat a muse), in fact, I think we were always of the same mind, & I understand exactly your point. For my sins, I own a lump of another Online Cardroom, (which is why I still have to work, sigh.....) so I sort of know the score.

I think it was just that word "disingenouos" that set me off on the wrong path.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: TIKAY WAS I RIGHT OR WRONG? : Wow, you are quite old then, if you remember that! Good grief. I am not sure, but I think that track was recorded down in Oxfordshire somewhere. Just re-reading your Posts in this thread, & having a reflective muse (can't beat a muse), in fact, I think we were always of the same mind, & I understand exactly your point. For my sins, I own a lump of another Online Cardroom, (which is why I still have to work, sigh.....) so I sort of know the score. I think it was just that word "disingenouos" that set me off on the wrong path.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Easily lead down the wrong path tikay, its his age you know ;)
  • edited October 2009

Barry - I'm aching to go down the wrong path. I've been down that many wrong paths I've lost count, but I'm looking for the right wrong path.

It goes by train, over bridges, we play a little poker, & the Driver is a nubile young lady who....well, you know. Like a train.
  • edited October 2009
    tikay is gonna win this tonight, i have a feeling
  • edited October 2009
    Hi Tikay, I have posted this twice before, cant a satelite be organised for this event even if it is the night before for the next day if time doesnt allow. I cant afford this buy in every night and enjoyed the cheaper one the other night when you got busted with trip two's lol In Response to Re: TIKAY WAS I RIGHT OR WRONG? :
    Posted by Torryladd
    hi m8 ...sats were run for 22 deepstack every nite at 5.45 but they never got enuf players like the 2k on sundays wat a tourney that ..i try but sadly i cant afford the buyin £110 thats a weeks wages aint it tk?