You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

set mining with queens @ NL4

Comments

• edited December 2011
    Yep I'd be happy to set mine here with any pair against a vvvvv tight range (more likely to get the lot if we hit).

If he's 3 betting wider, say TT+ AQs+, the QQ becomes a 4 bet, and lower pps become folds (as we might hit a set and get nothing on alot of flops, and very little on others)
  • edited December 2011
    8/1 to hit set

need 12/1 or even close to 15/1 to make it profitable long term to balance against the times you miss
  • edited December 2011
    thanks for the breakdown, like i say then this all boils down to putting him on aa kk on his 3 bet. i still say that is virtually impossible. if you say don the "only" time he 3bets is with aa or kk i believe you. just i have never never come across this before in cash.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: set mining with queens @ NL4:
    thanks for the breakdown, like i say then this all boils down to putting him on aa kk on his 3 bet. i still say that is virtually impossible. if you say don the "only" time he 3bets is with aa or kk i believe you. just i have never never come across this before in cash.
    Posted by pod1
    i could name you one player you play against regularly that i rekon has the exact same range. wont do it publically tho. but if u wish pm me
  • edited December 2011
    tighest player i have played is dn34689 and he just done me with qk!!!!
  • edited December 2011
    don had the required price with implied so it's fine to flat But yeah you have to know for certain oppo's range is AA/KK if you ever consider flatting here In essence it highlights Don's 4 betting range as AA/KK I think Don is saying this was very player dependant )
    Posted by rancid
    No you dont

If we 4bet his 3betting range is not the most important range to look at
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: set mining with queens @ NL4 : No you dont If we 4bet his 3betting range is not the most important range to look at
    Posted by grantorino
    What you saying GT ? Bluffing range/5 bet range/flat a 4 bet

expand a little plz

• edited December 2011
    I'm sorry but I find it almost impossible to believe you can put anyone on JUST AA/KK from this bet... how many times have you seen this guy 3bet and go to a showdown, and has it been AA/KK 100% of the time, not 99%, has to be EVERY SINGLE TIME... and even then, how many times has he 3bet and you've seen his cards, once, twice, ten times, it's still not enough to make it that strong a read.
  • edited December 2011

Don,

I had this guy as a weak player, so he's passive and a bit of a station. Earlier he limp called my 3 bet w/ Q6dd, flop went 3 way and he made a house v another weak player holding Q8, board was QQ65A.

Here he has a very big hand, he's passive and 3 betting your UTG raise out of the blinds, how many clues do we need? The range your putting him on is right and your a 60/40 dog against it. He's not 3 betting you with a hand your beating AQ/JJ/TT or the 1 combo of QQ so you can’t 4 bet this player in this spot for value. Your both deep so calling is the best play, if you flop a set the fact his range is so narrow means you will almost certainly win a very big pot, this player is never folding AA/KK as an over pair.

The only hand your ahead of here is AK but again flatting is fine v this player in this spot as I doubt he would barrel a missed flop and turn. Your ip so I think you can plan to call any non AK flop and fold to a turn barrel. Folding on a non AK flop is too weak imo to a cbet when he can have AK in his range. If he checks flop I would bet/fold if he check raises you.

Post hand I entered "dream spot for you Don v him there" in chat and it certainly was. 

IMO you played the hand well.

You played another hand with him soon after where you lost half the money back to him, if I recall rightly you had AK and it went check/check on mono club flop A high, on a non club turn he c/c with JcTx and he only c/c river when he made his broadway straight. I seem to recall that your river "value" bet was too big and I that you should have bet the flop but this hand again showed this player to be passive and a bit of a station.

• edited December 2011
    Don, I had this guy as a weak player, so he's passive and a bit of a station. Earlier he limp called my 3 bet w/ Q6dd, flop went 3 way and he made a house v another weak player holding Q8, board was QQ65A. Here he has a very big hand, he's passive and 3 betting your UTG raise out of the blinds, how many clues do we need? The range your putting him on is right and your a 60/40 dog against it. He's not 3 betting you with a hand your beating AQ/JJ/TT or the 1 combo of QQ so you can’t 4 bet this player in this spot for value. Your both deep so calling is the best play, if you flop a set the fact his range is so narrow means you will almost certainly win a very big pot, this player is never folding AA/KK as an over pair. The only hand your ahead of here is AK but again flatting is fine v this player in this spot as I doubt he would barrel a missed flop and turn. Your ip so I think you can plan to call any non AK flop and fold to a turn barrel. Folding on a non AK flop is too weak imo to a cbet when he can have AK in his range. If he checks flop I would bet/fold if he check raises you. Post hand I entered "dream spot for you Don v him there" in chat and it certainly was.  IMO you played the hand well. You played another hand with him soon after where you lost half the money back to him, if I recall rightly you had AK and it went check/check on mono club flop A high, on a non club turn he c/c with JcTx and he only c/c river when he made his broadway straight. I seem to recall that your river "value" bet was too big and I that you should have bet the flop but this hand again showed this player to be passive and a bit of a station.
    Posted by stien
    ty for the responce mate. Glad you think my read is right. i was in mini view at the time so didnt see it till after ud left the table.

The hand later your referring to is this one. TJ wasnt a hand i put him on and felt i  beat most other things in his range. Misplayed it pre in fairness.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    jaybeekay Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £2.21
    stien Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £6.95
     Your hole cards
    • A
    • K

xRaise  £0.12 £0.18 £10.48
    ZedsDeadBa Fold     
    The_Don90 Call  £0.12 £0.30 £20.80
    diamond8 Fold     
    jaybeekay Fold     
    stien Fold     
    Flop

• K
    • Q

xBet  £0.16 £0.46 £10.32
    The_Don90 Raise  £0.78 £1.24 £20.02
    xCall  £0.62 £1.86 £9.70
    Turn

xCheck     
    The_Don90 Bet  £1.40 £3.26 £18.62
    xCall  £1.40 £4.66 £8.30
    River

• A

xCheck     
    The_Don90 Bet  £3.50 £8.16 £15.12
    xCall  £3.50 £11.66 £4.80
    The_Don90 Show
    • A
    • K

xShow
    • J

xWin Straight to the Ace £10.78  £15.58
  • edited December 2011
    Don't forget that he can make a set also. What if the flop had been KQx? Would you have folded your set? Nice hand, I admire your read.
  • edited December 2011
    On KQx we can bet and get QQQ in for value as we are beating 6 combo's of AA, and 12 combo's of AK all hands this villain will get it in with on this flop, if he has one of the 3 combo's of KK it's just too bad. The point is we are trying to bet for value and pre flop there is no value in this spot v this player to 4 bet, but on a KQx flop there is value, so betting and getting it in is fine. Even against the narrowest of ranges of AA/KK we have 60% equity with QQQ.
  • edited December 2011
    Stien, why are you playing nl4?
  • edited December 2011

I had an hour to kill and thought I’d have a bit of fun, plus getting all your money in ahead and getting beat only costs £4 at nl4, it's almost painless.

• edited December 2011
    i would of called here aswell preflop it disguises ya strong hand it can cost you more on a low flop tho if opponent has aa or kk but i think a call is fine 
  • edited December 2011
    Stien, why are you playing nl4?
    Posted by richtea
    Jibbz busted his acc init
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: set mining with queens @ NL4 : Jibbz busted his acc init
    Posted by CrazyBen23

Now, now Ben behave. Jibbz does have a remarkable knack of hitting with any two v me, It must be any two cos he calls almost all my raises, i'd love to know what he folds pre!

• edited December 2011
    Hello Don,

Remember the hand well!

Thought oppo was some sorta 4nl superhero given he had over 550 bbs, I think you and stien had over 200 each when I joined and figured you'd been filleting the contents of a small grimsby trawler between you, so cautiously sat down and gave you all an uber wide berth whilst enjoying the game.

Although I know next to sodd all poker wise, my asessment of Oppo soon changed with all the limp calling and the flopped house hand mentioned by Stien.

However fwiw I recall thinking at the time that he had had either aces or kings against your queens as he'd clearly stopped faffing around and got all serious.

Which in itself poses more questions than it answers given the clinics advice runs counter to how he was playing his marginal hands. (Not that I'm suggesting the advice is wrong).

Nice hand and nice pot though, well done.

Regards,

Z.
  • edited December 2011
    Don, I had this guy as a weak player, so he's passive and a bit of a station. Earlier he limp called my 3 bet w/ Q6dd, flop went 3 way and he made a house v another weak player holding Q8, board was QQ65A. Here he has a very big hand, he's passive and 3 betting your UTG raise out of the blinds, how many clues do we need? The range your putting him on is right and your a 60/40 dog against it. He's not 3 betting you with a hand your beating AQ/JJ/TT or the 1 combo of QQ so you can’t 4 bet this player in this spot for value. Your both deep so calling is the best play, if you flop a set the fact his range is so narrow means you will almost certainly win a very big pot, this player is never folding AA/KK as an over pair. The only hand your ahead of here is AK but again flatting is fine v this player in this spot as I doubt he would barrel a missed flop and turn. Your ip so I think you can plan to call any non AK flop and fold to a turn barrel. Folding on a non AK flop is too weak imo to a cbet when he can have AK in his range. If he checks flop I would bet/fold if he check raises you. Post hand I entered "dream spot for you Don v him there" in chat and it certainly was.  IMO you played the hand well. You played another hand with him soon after where you lost half the money back to him, if I recall rightly you had AK and it went check/check on mono club flop A high, on a non club turn he c/c with JcTx and he only c/c river when he made his broadway straight. I seem to recall that your river "value" bet was too big and I that you should have bet the flop but this hand again showed this player to be passive and a bit of a station.
    Posted by stien
    Sorry Stein I know you're a very good player but he's putting him on just AA/KK which I dont believe is possible unless he's played a silly amount of hands against him and if that is the case, since when was QQ 60/40 against AA/KK? He's either MILES behind or at best flipping if he does have AK (but that wasn't in the range Don gave him)
  • edited December 2011
    i would of called here aswell preflop it disguises ya strong hand it can cost you more on a low flop tho if opponent has aa or kk but i think a call is fine 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Even when the Don has said that he has DEFINTELY got AA or KK?
  • edited December 2011
    its 7.3 to 1 to hit a set not 8/1 lol
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: set mining with queens @ NL4 : Sorry Stein I know you're a very good player but he's putting him on just AA/KK which I dont believe is possible unless he's played a silly amount of hands against him and if that is the case, since when was QQ 60/40 against AA/KK? He's either MILES behind or at best flipping if he does have AK (but that wasn't in the range Don gave him)
    Posted by Lambert180
    Lambert,

The important point from this hand is Don can't get value here against villain's range, I was at the table and my read on this player was passive, what hands does a passive player 3 bet an UTG raiser with out of the blinds? 

Don put him on AA/KK is he right or wrong? I think he can also have AK here that's where the 60/40 dog comes from. I do however feel Dons flat was right because he can't 4 bet for value against a passsive players range in this spot 3 betting from the blinds, against other player types and 3 bets from other positions he would be able to but not here. 

When you add up all the infomation in front of you 4 betting here is IMO burning money, Don can't fold because he can have AK and he can flop a set deep with implied odds. I agree a range of AA/KK is too tight, he should not have ruled out AK but he still can't 4 bet for value even if he had included it.

It is very possible to put a player on a very strong range when he tells you that's what he has. What are you putting the guy on, what are you doing in this spot and why?
  • edited December 2011
    Lambert i did state later i rekon AK made up a small % of his range. However i ruled out AQ/JJ/TT/QQ which meant his range was 3 hands, 1 i beat 2 i dont.

Fwiw stien ive played with him a few more times since and your read is pretty much right. I wasnt paying full attention to him during this session but glad my reads where still on the right lines. I missed the FH hand u mentioned.
  • edited December 2011

Lambert I hope you haven’t got me wrong, I think it would be interesting to hear what you are putting the guy on, what are you doing in this spot and why?

• edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: set mining with queens @ NL4 : Now, now Ben behave. Jibbz does have a remarkable knack of hitting with any two v me, It must be any two cos he calls almost all my raises, i'd love to know what he folds pre!
    Posted by stien
    Jibbz is just golden golden golden!
  • edited December 2011

don why do you play nl4? your clearly more skilled to play higher

• edited December 2011
    don why do you play nl4? your clearly more skilled to play higher
    Posted by robyoung
    simple, i keep losing at NL4 and until ive beaten NL4 i cant play higher right?
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: set mining with queens @ NL4 : simple, i keep losing at NL4 and until ive beaten NL4 i cant play higher right?
    Posted by The_Don90
    Why do you think you keep losing?

"I dunno" is not a good enough answer I'm afraid.  ;o)

Z.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: set mining with queens @ NL4 : Why do you think you keep losing? "I dunno" is not a good enough answer I'm afraid.  ;o) Z.
    Posted by ZedsDeadBa
    oh the whole i run like carp (yes im talking about a type of fish here and not getting round a swear filter) also i tilt when this happens mean i then make mistakes. Tbh when im on a tougher table i actually play better as weird as it seems. Maybe compleceny is an issue.