You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Open debate on the subject of Luck.

edited December 2011 in Area 51
Couldnt quite think of right thread title for this so bare with me.

Question surrounds the notion of running good, running bad, notion of variance etc.

I play live mostly, with a variety of player types/formats.  Some games run pretty standard, some are just plain insane.

Poker has become the church of EV purists in many ways.  Most advice given is towards hands in isolation, rather than an overall strategy/philosophy.  We all know that sometimes we have to do the perceived wrong thing to achieve the desired effect.

So without going into the fact that over large sample, insane thoughtless wreckless players will defeat themselves:  Do we believe in the notion of luck in the long term in poker?  That individuals can in fact run perma bad (or good), certain people being bink artists, others not being able to dodge their slim beats.

Again, not looking for the simple answer of notion of long term play variance balancing "luck".  Well maybe I am infact, if that is what a person definatively believes.  But from individuals own experience, do we believe certain players are inclined to run better than others (or worse) over the long term?  Or do we believe variance is an all balancing force? (Particularly when skill level is reasonably similar.)

Comments

• edited December 2011
    Luck has to play a part in poker if it didnt the best player would always win the rest of us would get bored and give up.
  • edited December 2011
    Indeed.  But as above, I'm not asking about arbitary "Luck" as an objective force, but as a specifice subjective force.

That is if you believe in Luck - positive or negative - to begin with.
  • edited December 2011
    luck is a major factor in poker , then again so is skill . as for varience ?? sorry but i just DO NOT believe in this as far as online poker is concerned , everyone and i do mean everyone knows without a doubt that online poker generates massive action hands so long term i really believe that varience simply does not play a part.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Open debate on the subject of Luck.:
    Couldnt quite think of right thread title for this so bare with me. Question surrounds the notion of running good, running bad, notion of variance etc. I play live mostly, with a variety of player types/formats.  Some games run pretty standard, some are just plain insane. Poker has become the church of EV purists in many ways.  Most advice given is towards hands in isolation, rather than an overall strategy/philosophy.  We all know that sometimes we have to do the perceived wrong thing to achieve the desired effect. So without going into the fact that over large sample, insane thoughtless wreckless players will defeat themselves:  Do we believe in the notion of luck in the long term in poker?  That individuals can in fact run perma bad (or good), certain people being bink artists, others not being able to dodge their slim beats. Again, not looking for the simple answer of notion of long term play variance balancing "luck".  Well maybe I am infact, if that is what a person definatively believes.  But from individuals own experience, do we believe certain players are inclined to run better than others (or worse) over the long term?  Or do we believe variance is an all balancing force? (Particularly when skill level is reasonably similar.)
    Posted by AMYBR
    my oppinion on this is some players do run good more good than others and some more bad than others i think its impossible to permanitly run either also i notice alot at certain stages of the tourney usually around the cash bubble and the final table bubble that marginal hands hold up over premiums in all ins favouring the larger chip stack for disbelievers watch the primo or bounty hunter etc count how many times the chip leader comes out on top in the situations iv stated. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Open debate on the subject of Luck.:
    luck is a major factor in poker , then again so is skill . as for varience ?? sorry but i just DO NOT believe in this as far as online poker is concerned , everyone and i do mean everyone knows without a doubt that online poker generates massive action hands so long term i really believe that varience simply does not play a part.
    Posted by debdobs_67

Varience and luck r the same thing.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Open debate on the subject of Luck. : Varience and luck r the same thing.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    No they are not dohh , luck is ya can play 2 7os and bink wondercards to bring down a monster , varience is if ya play AA 100 times then in theory ya should win say 70%+ of them.

There IS a differance xx
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah I dont really get not believing in variance.  Variance is what it is, only in its interpretation can we say it can or can not be attributed to certain things.  (I'm trying to steer the thread away from those things though). 

Mainly trying to look at peoples belief/perception of Luck/variance on short - longterm play. 

At a table where skill levels are equal, do we believe certain players will run better than others, should players who perceive that they run bad be more fearful of the bink etc.  This is live or online.  General question in regard to the game and its players, rather than the format that it is played in.  Just thought would get best views here :)

• edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Open debate on the subject of Luck. : No they are not dohh , luck is ya can play 2 7os and bink wondercards to bring down a monster , varience is if ya play AA 100 times then in theory ya should win say 70%+ of them. There IS a differance xx
    Posted by debdobs_67
    That's ev, not varience - Doh is right.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Open debate on the subject of Luck. : That's ev, not varience - Doh is right.
    Posted by JingleMa
    Actually ure BOTH wrong lmao

Next ya gonna be sayin that ya dont see far too many action hands aint ya ;))
  • edited December 2011

Just done some reading as I was doubting myself.

Varience is a word to describe the consequences of luck, so yea same thing.  

Bad luck = negative varience. Good luck = positive varience. 

^^^^^^^^This is the site I found the article on btw, it's pretty good & got some free videos for most levels. Never come across it b4. 

• edited December 2011
    Ty for clearing it up doh (shocked you lost confidence in your pov tho tbh :P)

Meanwhile, back on the subject.............................   :)
  • edited December 2011
    lol Dean these kinda threads of yours confuse me.

Theyre like cryptic, I dunno how your mind works....

It's always well written/presented but sometimes I struggle to figure out what the question is!!

Sumtimes I'm not even sure if you know what you're asking us! :s

• edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Open debate on the subject of Luck. : Actually ure BOTH wrong lmao Next ya gonna be sayin that ya dont see far too many action hands aint ya ;))
    Posted by debdobs_67
    Um ok.

You seem to be a sound improving thinking player Debs, but then you write these weird sentences with some random words in capitals and I think you must be on the wind-up.
  • edited December 2011
    Lol, there prob is a certain element of truth there.

Felt like this was fairly straight forward tho JJ :p

Do you believe that variance balances all in a field of evenly matched players over a significant sample?

Or do you believe that - outside of variance - some players will run better, or worse, to a significant degree,

Do you believe that individuals may run mainly norm along a spectrum of variance, but be luckier, or less lucky in critical spots?

If you build a pot with two black A's, get one caller.  Flop comes a flushing or straighting board who would you rather be up against.  Cody or JR Bellande?  (Comical example)

It goes back to what I say in an early post in this thread.  Online poker has created an extremely focused, accurate EV purist type of player, leaving little out of the box experience in some ways. 

Do people believe than an EV+ approach over a significant sample, amongst relatively evenly mached players, will balance variance in the main (or that variance will balance its self by its nature within this criteria). Or do people believe individuals can consistently perform above or below accepted variance perpetually.  Phew, clear enough? :p

(obv the accepted pov is that it does balance within that criteria.  I was interested in a wider view)
  • edited December 2011
    It's all abit deep for me!

Yea I believe long term, everyone runs the same!

There are some things that you can actually can have some control over though, so like you make your own luck to a certain extent.

How u run in terms of ev, long term, it will b the same for every1 though. 
  • edited December 2011
    Thankyou, first solid answer.

Not claiming to know, or that there is an answer.  Just interested in peoples thoughts as to whether (as you put it) "People run the same" (obv over long enough timescale with balanced skill)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Open debate on the subject of Luck. : Um ok. You seem to be a sound improving thinking player Debs, but then you write these weird sentences with some random words in capitals and I think you must be on the wind-up.
    Posted by JingleMa
    Yeah ya got me there fella ;)) xxx
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Open debate on the subject of Luck. : Yeah ya got me there fella ;)) xxx
    Posted by debdobs_67
    Lol ok.
  • edited December 2011
    LOL  I know the answer and im not telling, Na na, Na na na.
  • edited December 2011
    Variance mathematically, is a measure of the average distance between each of a set of data points and their mean value, which is equal to the sum of the squares of the deviation from the mean value.

In respect to poker, it would be how much (on average) our results differ (albeit, favorable or infavourable) to what is expected (the mean).
    High Variance would mean on average over a set range of hands, that the actual results are differing hugely from the expected results. Crucially, neither adversely or favourably.
    Low Variance therefore shows that actual results are not deviating much, thus portraying predicted outcomes.

Variance is not a measure of luck!
  • edited December 2011

Also variance is never a negative value ;)

• edited December 2011
    doesnt answer or refer to the subject topic though does it :)

Semantics aside, the question is clear.
  • edited December 2011
    What's a subject topic? Is that a subject?, Or a topic? How can the question be clear, if the semantics are aside?
  • edited December 2011
    Also variance is never a negative value ;)
    Posted by Swog

What if I play a 10 hour session and run 10 buy ins below ev, which results in me losing 10 buy ins instead of breaking even.

That's negative varience. 

.......& bad luck. 

• edited December 2011
    I would have thought the above also bud
  • edited December 2011
    What's a subject topic? Is that a subject?, Or a topic? How can the question be clear, if the semantics are aside?
    Posted by oynutter
    Well said :)

Red wine ftw
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Open debate on the subject of Luck.:
    Some of what Im going to here I'm kinda extrapolating from the little bit I know about math. It may not all hold up, and Im not saying any of this is definitely true

I beleive luck in general is a factor in life. In poker luck will be a factor. If we play enough hands theoretically we should win/ lose whatever the math says our expected value should. However this would also be extremely unlikely. If you toss a coin 1000 times the chances you get heads  exactly 500 times is going to be very unlikely( it will be the most likely outcome though). However as the sample gets bigger results in general get closer to the expected values.

However there are almost certainly outliers, and some tiny percentage of poker players most likely run hugely good or hugely bad over large samples imo. In general though you should get pretty close to your expected win/loss over a large sample

Also poker luck is not all about running above EV. If you run KK into AA pre you lose 80% at neutral EV but you prob are playing well. Talon also had a thread in gpc about timing of your luck which can also be important, esp if you play a wide range of games or get tilted
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Open debate on the subject of Luck. : What if I play a 10 hour session and run 10 buy ins below ev, which results in me losing 10 buy ins instead of breaking even. That's negative varience.  .......& bad luck. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Swog is correct in a mathematical sense afaik. What you, and most people in poker, refer to as negative variance is running below expected value. Agree its semantics though
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Open debate on the subject of Luck. : Some of what Im going to here I'm kinda extrapolating from the little bit I know about math. It may not all hold up, and Im not saying any of this is definitely true I beleive luck in general is a factor in life. In poker luck will be a factor. If we play enough hands theoretically we should win/ lose whatever the math says our expected value should. However this would also be extremely unlikely. If you toss a coin 1000 times the chances you get heads  exactly 500 times is going to be very unlikely( it will be the most likely outcome though). However as the sample gets bigger results in general get closer to the expected values. However there are almost certainly outliers, and some tiny percentage of poker players most likely run hugely good or hugely bad over large samples imo. In general though you should get pretty close to your expected win/loss over a large sample Also poker luck is not all about running above EV. If you run KK into AA pre you lose 80% at neutral EV but you prob are playing well. Talon also had a thread in gpc about timing of your luck which can also be important, esp if you play a wide range of games or get tilted
    Posted by grantorino
    Yeah I'd agree with much of this.  You know me, I like to be well versed on boh sides of an argument :)  Was mostly just interested in others thoughts/perceptions on it.

As far as I understand, the significant bulk of the playing spectrum will have moderately balanced variance over time.  With minority curves on either end of the spectrum.

But there are alot of factors that come into the mix.
  • edited December 2011
    there is luck involved in poker. good and bad. during the good luck period u need to make as much profit as u can and when the luck turns u need to minimise ur losses..

simpleeeee