You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Open debate on the subject of Luck.

2»

Comments

• edited December 2011
    i have commented on this a couple of times so sorry if you have seen them before.

I believe there are both lucky and unlucky people...

the lucky player will hit his one and two outers and go on a good run for maybe a couple of years,by which time he may of binked enough big tourny's to never actually never have to go in the red with his bankroll.

The unlucky player may be twice as good as the lucky guy but more often than not he loses his 70%-30% pots.

i think luck evens itself out but you would need to play maybe 1m hands to get a good enough sample,so if you get lucky early on in your poker"career"
    then you may never get the bad luck to even things out(and vise versa).
  • edited December 2011
    Well put davey.  I think this is essentialy true, with some narrow minority exceptions on both the + and - sides.

Over a broad sample there will likely be miniscule exceptions but variance will balance in the main, where skills are relatively even.  Has to right?

Its those fringe elements that interest me :)  The capacity and probability that 0.(whatever)% of the global playing pool will run perma bad/good.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Open debate on the subject of Luck.:
    there is luck involved in poker. good and bad. during the good luck period u need to make as much profit as u can and when the luck turns u need to minimise ur losses.. simpleeeee
    Posted by bigal36903
    Look deeper bud.  Again, not arbitrary luck, specific subjective luck.

• edited December 2011
    LOL ffs, that is all
  • edited December 2011

Luck related specifically to poker is the same for everyone over a long period. That doesn't mean that someone who plays for 10 years will get their fair share of good or bad luck. However, it's a reasonable assumption that they will.

Poker can be best described as ''a game of considered wager'' and in any session, moments of both good and bad luck can be expected. The more skilled the player the less influence the bad luck will have, and conversely, the more effect the good luck will have. Because not every hand has a particularly lucky or unlucky outcome the skilled player will have an advantage in most hands, and will over time share in the good or bad outcomes due to luck. This is the difference in a profitable cash player or winning mtt player, and lesser skilled opponents.

Luck would be expected to come in short streaks whether good or bad. Varience is the longer term effect of winning and losing and not neccessarily a result of luck - bad or good. I think that varience is a result of form/ability rather than an accumulation of good or bad luck.

A coin tossed 30 times would be expected to have an approximate 50/50 outcome of heads and tails. A run of 30 tosses resulting in heads would probably not be a result of either luck or varience rather it would most likely be a bias in the coin or method of toss. Streaks can be expected but exceptional streaks are highly unlikely. Poker outcomes are no different and the perception of extended runs of bad luck are more likely to be memory retention combined with bad form.

• edited December 2011
    Thanks for the post Alan.  Been awhile since we've seen you in here.  Hope your well.

As to the post:  I totally hear what your are saying and fully understand it.

But my question in response would be:  based upon what you say, do you then not leave any room for individuals performing perpetually above or below the avg'd mean over large sample? (again where skills are reasonably matched.) 

Your post is a very comprehensive textbook answer, one which I mainly agree with.

• edited December 2011
    Thanks for the post Alan.  Been awhile since we've seen you in here.  Hope your well. As to the post:  I totally hear what your are saying and fully understand it. But my question in response would be:  based upon what you say, do you then not leave any room for individuals performing perpetually above or below the avg'd mean over large sample? (again where skills are reasonably matched.)  Your post is a very comprehensive textbook answer, one which I mainly agree with.
    Posted by AMYBR
    This would mean accepting other outside influences which go against the laws of nature. They would have to be ''supernatural'' and therefore most unlikely. There is no good reason why any individuals should be blessed with  good or bad luck in a discriminatory way.

Having said that, there is evidence to support some individuals who have a heightened sense of anticipation and foresight. This is a natural ability based around fundamental survival instincts from the section of the brain known as the ''hindbrain'' or ''reptilian brain'' (the most ancient section of the brain). The other two main sections of the brain relate to your ability to think/learn and your emotions but the hindbrain controls what you actually do in given situations. The hightened anticipation factor in some individuals may account for the percieved ''lucky outcomes'' to their actions.

Luck, be it bad or good, is totally indiscriminate but repeated actions with favourable outcomes due to superior instinct may be perceived as lucky.
  • edited December 2011
    Well said again :)

That was pretty much what I was looking for.  Luck in a non objective arbitrary way, but i like your words better :p

So we believe nothing exhists outside of the statistical eventualities, it encompassing all players over volume then?

• edited December 2011
    Well said again :) That was pretty much what I was looking for.  Luck in a non objective arbitrary way, but i like your words better :pSo we believe nothing exhists outside of the statistical eventualities, it encompassing all players over volume then?
    Posted by AMYBR

Correct - for there to be a favoured bias there would have to be a controlling factor that discriminates. To continue to unequally discriminate towards any individual would require intervention by someone or something.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the post Alan.  Been awhile since we've seen you in here.  Hope your well. As to the post:  I totally hear what your are saying and fully understand it. But my question in response would be:  based upon what you say, do you then not leave any room for individuals performing perpetually above or below the avg'd mean over large sample? (again where skills are reasonably matched.)  Your post is a very comprehensive textbook answer, one which I mainly agree with.
    Posted by AMYBR
    The statistics allow for unusual results: To take elsas example of flipping a coin 30 times and getting 30 heads, it happens roughly 1 in 1.073 million times. So it you have enough people producing large samples a tiny proportion of them should be running significantly better or worse than the average (not sure about perpetually, thats a big sample, also the guys who run really bad prob wont get to really large samples)  . As elsa says though if you have bad results over a large sample its much more likely to be bad play than bad luck. In general people should get closer the expected result the bigger the sample
  • edited December 2011
    Precisely.  and we negate all possibility of this, or simply make an ayerist pov where it becomes totally pointless to speculate on?

Sorry to go on about this, I know the accepted pov (which really is the most rational commonsense one).  Just wondered as to others thoughts on it.

Elsa's choice of words are interesting in his posts.  Its right that we use only emperical info.  Just was curious if people believed there was room for anything else, the unquantafiable if you like.
  • edited December 2011
    i will tell u what bda luck is. 

going all in against some with AA. KK or pairs against rubbish raggy A and losing 25 times in 2 days

pls just give me one day where the big stack doesnt win on the river with that raggy A to my KK ..

or hit the staright or 1 card flush.  
  • edited December 2011
    Precisely.  and we negate all possibility of this, or simply make an ayerist pov where it becomes totally pointless to speculate on? Sorry to go on about this, I know the accepted pov (which really is the most rational commonsense one).  Just wondered as to others thoughts on it. Elsa's choice of words are interesting in his posts.  Its right that we use only emperical info.  Just was curious if people believed there was room for anything else, the unquantafiable if you like.
    Posted by AMYBR
     Yeh, aorist, look it up, I really think that if you want to use this type of totally pointless and unnecessary language, you should at least make an effort to spell it correctly, what do you think? I think the word you were looking for is "aoristic"--- moi
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Open debate on the subject of Luck. :  Yeh, aorist , look it up, I really think that if you want to use this type of totally pointless and unnecessary language, you should at least make an effort to spell it correctly, what do you think? I think the word you were looking for is "aoristic" --- moi
    Posted by oynutter
    What are you being an idiot for?  Through this thread I count 4 pathetic comments by you.  For finding it so pointless I guess you just cant help get involved huh?  Only took 4 sad comments to get me to bite though right?

If its so pointless, dont comment on it or read it.  I was interested in others opinions on it.  Simple.  I spelt a word wrong....my apologies...

Really find it funny how people like you go out of your way to be rude on threads just for the sake of it.  If anything is ultimately pointless - its that.
  • edited December 2011
    Precisely.  and we negate all possibility of this, or simply make an ayerist pov where it becomes totally pointless to speculate on? Sorry to go on about this, I know the accepted pov (which really is the most rational commonsense one).  Just wondered as to others thoughts on it. Elsa's choice of words are interesting in his posts.  Its right that we use only emperical info.  Just was curious if people believed there was room for anything else, the unquantafiable if you like.
    Posted by AMYBR
    Seriously, I have no idea what this means

People do tend to negate possibility other people are running permabad. This is because(a) its really unlikely (b) its pointless as we cant do anything about it. Therefore, they tend to say stop whinging and improve your game, as even if they are running bad theres not much they can do about it

If by unquantifiable you mean , God/Buddha/Beelzebub/tree spirits/ whoever/whatever  etc bestowing one with good/bad fortune in poker, that really moving beyond what I know about. Its possible, but I wouldnt start drinking goats blood to get some rungood just yet
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Open debate on the subject of Luck. : What are you being an idiot for?  Through this thread I count 4 pathetic comments by you.  For finding it so pointless I guess you just cant help get involved huh?  Only took 4 sad comments to get me to bite though right? If its so pointless, dont comment on it or read it.  I was interested in others opinions on it.  Simple.  I spelt a word wrong....my apologies... Really find it funny how people like you go out of your way to be rude on threads just for the sake of it.  If anything is ultimately pointless - its that.
    Posted by AMYBR
     Oh, I am sorry, I did'nt realise I am a pathetic idiot, thanks for pointing that out, I was getting worried there, no wonder I thought you were being a pretentious flapwit, please accept my apologies and ignore me, thanks.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Open debate on the subject of Luck. : Seriously, I have no idea what this means People do tend to negate possibility other people are running permabad. This is because(a) its really unlikely (b) its pointless as we cant do anything about it. Therefore, they tend to say stop whinging and improve your game, as even if they are running bad theres not much they can do about it If by unquantifiable you mean , God/Buddha/Beelzebub/tree spirits/ whoever/whatever  etc bestowing one with good/bad fortune in poker, that really moving beyond what I know about. Its possible, but I wouldnt start drinking goats blood to get some rungood just yet
    Posted by grantorino
    yum yum, goats blood, lol, give up bud, this guy likes to discuss the minutiae points in yawningly boring fashion and refuses to look at the obvious, luck is as real as time-illussionary.
    I take responsability for everthing that happens to me, Examine whatever is wrong an try to fix it.
    If we blame something/someone else we stay still or even go backwards.
  • edited December 2011
    Goodness me, some people.

Whatever, just whatever.

When did I say this thread any thing to do with me or running bad?

It was just a conversation topic.

Nodeal, oynutter.  Learn what a debate/conversation is.  When does this thread blame anything on anything????  On the first page of this thread I make it clear that this thread was going to steer clear of issues relating to blame.  Throughout, run good/bad has been balanced evenly.  Can people not have a discussion without people like you constantly trolling for no reason?  Perceiving an attack, or attacking an individuals game, where there is no cause.

Its called a discussion.  As always, same people attacking threads they dont take the time to read properly.

Blah blag blah bored.
  • edited December 2011
    Only read OP

Luck long term is negative

It just makes bad players think they have a chance

Long term bad players lose - good players win

Everyone has the same amount of "luck" we all hit our 2% r's 

Why, because we win 2/100 )

If you need luck to win, you will be a loser long term

Suggesting some people are more lucky than others is just nonsense

The only point is, some peoples "luck" happens in a big event and see's them winning lots of money (thpusands) - others get there luck playing a £10 SNG

So you lucky to get lucky at the right time
  • edited December 2011
    Wasnt ever suggesting that some people are more or less lucky than others.

Was having a discussion or debate on the notion of luck.

There are philosophies around an individuals perspective creating their own experience, their own luck good or bad.

I was simply trying to explore the notion of luck as a subjective concept.

Obviously the commonsense answer is that variance balances all and that "luck" is totally objective. 

I just wanted to hear what others thoughts on it were.

It was never meant as anything else.  Not an accusation to anything, nor an excuse for anything.  I think if the thread is read in context that is clear.

I wanted to simply see if people believed there was any room for anything outside of the statistical eventualities. 
  • edited December 2011
    I have two conflicting answers to this.

I know my answer should be that it all evens out in the long run - just not sure we live long enough for this to work for all of us.

My experience playing live is that of a player who has run COMICALLY badly throughout the 3 or so years we have played together.

I say comical except it's painful to watch the money go in on the flop with his opponent dead to runner, runner , - the turn brings him a ray of hope...  and you just know what's gonna get flipped over on the river.

I would rather buy lottery tickets than ever stake this player in our game.

• edited December 2011

Goodness me, some people. Whatever, just whatever. When did I say this thread any thing to do with me or running bad? It was just a conversation topic. Nodeal, oynutter.  Learn what a debate/conversation is.  When does this thread blame anything on anything????  On the first page of this thread I make it clear that this thread was going to steer clear of issues relating to blame.  Throughout, run good/bad has been balanced evenly.  Can people not have a discussion without people like you constantly trolling for no reason?  Perceiving an attack, or attacking an individuals game, where there is no cause. Its called a discussion.  As always, same people attacking threads they dont take the time to read properly. Blah blag blah bored.
    Posted by AMYBR
    Well, If your really only discussing luck then why has the thread developed to this extent?

granterino hit the nail on the head when he commented on degenerating to drinking goats blood trying to show how futile the examination of such a thing as luck,  The only evidence for luck is people who defy the odds but, A mathamatician will tell you and everyone else , What can happen will happen given enough time.
    Seems to me that my obvious point was in agreement with granterino, I did say it was yawningly boring the way you try to go into the minutiae regarding what you say is a simple point, but, unless im mistaken there is only one question, Does anyone believe in luck? Its not the same as asking does anyone believe in god because science/maths need a cause to explain an action but luck just simply gets swept away by maths as only a belief with no sound evidence.
    Not opening a different discussion by talking about belief  in god, Just showing an example of a belief without evidence verse belief with.

• edited December 2011
    Ok Nodeal, thankyou for the feedback.

Firstly, I know I dont always come across the way I intend to, but ftr, its not intentional.  Also, fully acknowledge that I likely do go into the "minutiae" too much as you say.  Cant really help it.  Am totally OCD.

Much of the Mathematical answers I already know.  So if I banged on abit, it was to try and break away from those.  I was looking for peoples perspective and thoughts outside of the math, which was kind of what I meant by the purist type of player pov.  B ut I didnt want to negate peoples post on the math side as it would have seemed rude.

Was just querying if people felt there was room for anything else, without my OP guiding the responses.

But I just think that if people find something boring, pointless or a waste of time, why waste more time writing a rude response?  Maybe I do come off bad some times.  Probably comes from spending years writing clinical reports.  But you'd never see me go out of my way just to be rude to someone (with 1 exception but as a reaction).
  • edited December 2011
    Ok Nodeal, thankyou for the feedback. Firstly, I know I dont always come across the way I intend to, but ftr, its not intentional.  Also, fully acknowledge that I likely do go into the "minutiae" too much as you say.  Cant really help it.  Am totally OCD. Much of the Mathematical answers I already know.  So if I banged on abit, it was to try and break away from those.  I was looking for peoples perspective and thoughts outside of the math, which was kind of what I meant by the purist type of player pov.  B ut I didnt want to negate peoples post on the math side as it would have seemed rude. Was just querying if people felt there was room for anything else, without my OP guiding the responses. But I just think that if people find something boring, pointless or a waste of time, why waste more time writing a rude response?
    Posted by AMYBR
    At the risk of seeming like im changing the discussion when im not the truth as I see it is there is no such thing as luck and bad AV equates to bad play, Trust me when I say that , That im not being smug, Im only trying to point out that It is possable to win consistantly 6 out of 7 days a week, I know this as This is my experience, Not over one year but 6 years.  No poker player unless hes finnished will tell all, but experience will tell anyone what cards to play with who and in what possition, its really as simple as that.
  • edited December 2011
    I never said otherwise bud.

And I agree.

Fully acknowledge that the reason I am a losing online player is plain laughable BRM/Dicipline.

But this thread was sincerely never about my experience.  In context, its just a generic question.
  • edited December 2011

If I ever see phi livy rubbing a rabbits foot and then drinking some goats blood by the bar then I believe luck will make a difference to your BR in the long term.

Frankly people that say “I feel lucky, lets go – I have a feeling” just before they make a terrible call on the turn for all there chips/money and then get lucky and then proclaim it’s all because I am lucky are deluding themselves because they have forgotten about the other 95 times they lost and had that same lucky feeling.

It’s like people that gamble on horses, you never hear about the times they have lost. Infact you can apply this “feeling of luck” to any game/sport you bet on where the odds are stacked against you.

If the odds are against you, you have to get lucky ) simplez

But you can’t choose when you get lucky.

Example:

You have QQ – AIPR v AA In two scenrios

On the bubble where you win £100

On the bubble where you win £100,000

When would you like to be lucky ?

There is nothing you can do to influence luck/variance

Best you can do is understand variance,

Little extract from an online source:

The nature of poker variance can be demonstrated with an example. You are playing in a poker tournament you are dealt Ace-King and after a raising war pre-flop manage to get all-in against an opponent holding Ace-Jack.

This is a great result, you have your chips in the middle as a solid 70% favorite. It also means that 3 out of every 10 times you play the hand you will be out of the tournament!

In this example you survive the hand and later in the same tournament get all-in again with a pair of queens against tens. Here you are 80% favorite. Later still you have Ace-king and again get in as a 70% favorite against a lower ace. Your poker skills have enabled you to get in with the best hand 3 times!

Here is where an understanding of variance can help your game. You are actually now less than even-money to be still in the poker tournament. This is how the numbers look:

- First Hand: 70% of the time you win and are still in the game.
- Second Hand: 80% of 70% you win and are still in the game (56%)
- Third Hand: 70% of 56% you win are still in the game (39.2%)

So even though you got your chips in as a solid favorite each hand played, you are now out of the tournament more than 60% of the time.