You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bank Roll Managment, How Close Do You REALLY Stay To The Recomendations

edited November 2009 in Poker Chat
The post on Webbys BR challange that brought up the 55% BR rule got me thinking, How closley do all the players on here stick to their BR plan.

I have to be honest and say i don't. It wouldn't be unheard of for me to have a spare £20 floating around in this account and buy in to the open with it or sit at at a £0.10 - £0.20 table with the lot. Not that i think this is excelent play and would promote it to others but i can't sit and grind 0.30p sit n go's or play 2p 4p as it can't hold my concentration.

Now lots of people are going to jump on and tell me about how i'll be a losing player in the long run and i can't extract value from situations as i can't reload etc but the fact is i'm not. I've withdrawn 4 figures more than i've ever put on this site and i can't say i ever deposit that much. 

The money i put on Sky is for a good laugh and just play the games i want to pay for. I cash out any sizeable wins (i normally buy something nice for the Mrs or pay a bill) and I can't say I'm a huge CASH player so most of my money comes from MTT's on here (although i have played a lot of cash it's really just when i can't find a tourney im interested in). If i go broke on here then i go broke and i pop another £10 or £20 on to play some sats to the Open or something.

I know how important BR managment is if your taking the game seriously but i can't imagine that many people on here play for a living. I know there are some but i would imagine that most pro's would make more money elsewhere with higher limits.

What i want to know is, do you think BR managment is essential to all poker players or is it just important to those with asperations of making a living at the game and wanting to move up the levels?

Are you all devout followers of BR law or are there any others here who like me just can't resist the GAMBLE in them to sit with their last £50 at a 0.25 0.50 and see if they can make it a £100

Please give your opinions but don't preach percentage rules at me as i know BR managment theory.......... I Just suck at it lol :)

Comments

• edited November 2009
    In Response to Bank Roll Managment, How Close Do You REALLY Stay To The Recomendations:
    The post on Webbys BR challange that brought up the 55% BR rule got me thinking, How closley do all the players on here stick to their BR plan. I have to be honest and say i don't. It wouldn't be unheard of for me to have a spare £20 floating around in this account and buy in to the open with it or sit at at a £0.10 - £0.20 table with the lot. Not that i think this is excelent play and would promote it to others but i can't sit and grind 0.30p sit n go's or play 2p 4p as it can't hold my concentration. Now lots of people are going to jump on and tell me about how i'll be a losing player in the long run and i can't extract value from situations as i can't reload etc but the fact is i'm not. I've withdrawn 4 figures more than i've ever put on this site and i can't say i ever deposit that much.  The money i put on Sky is for a good laugh and just play the games i want to pay for. I cash out any sizeable wins (i normally buy something nice for the Mrs or pay a bill) and I can't say I'm a huge CASH player so most of my money comes from MTT's on here (although i have played a lot of cash it's really just when i can't find a tourney im interested in). If i go broke on here then i go broke and i pop another £10 or £20 on to play some sats to the Open or something. I know how important BR managment is if your taking the game seriously but i can't imagine that many people on here play for a living. I know there are some but i would imagine that most pro's would make more money elsewhere with higher limits. What i want to know is, do you think BR managment is essential to all poker players or is it just important to those with asperations of making a living at the game and wanting to move up the levels? Are you all devout followers of BR law or are there any others here who like me just can't resist the GAMBLE in them to sit with their last £50 at a 0.25 0.50 and see if they can make it a £100 Please give your opinions but don't preach percentage rules at me as i know BR managment theory.......... I Just suck at it lol :)
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    Hi
    I dont follow a bankroll challenge as i play poker for fun, so if i can afford it i play it.
    col
  • edited November 2009
    Hi Aces

Have to say, I stick to it rigidly, currently grinding away at 60p DYM,s.
  • edited November 2009
    i dont follow any BRM, i play poker because i love it and i'm also a gambler, to me the bankroll management is complete utter rubbish, i am a gamber not an accountant, its like walkin in to a bookies with £50 and somebody saying only put 5% of your bankroll on or you will lose, i would say dont be stupid!
  • edited November 2009
    it's very important to me for 2 reasons ....

1. i will manage to keep playing even on a losing streak

2. i do not wan to end up in GA, if i play within my means then i won't get into serious trouble
  • edited November 2009
    I do have a bankroll but I have to admit that I don't stick to it rigidly
  • edited November 2009
    ACESOVER ure a fellow in the same mould as myself.All you have posted here is virtually a replica of myself.Keep up the good work as it sounds like you are doing well and im so glad you treat your family.Once again well done and the very best of luck.dav
  • edited November 2009
    Personally i think sticking to bankroll is a big thing, i find if you stick to bankroll then slowly but surey it increases, howver when you start going beyond it then the more pressure makes u lose more as yu make decisions you wouldnt normally, but every1 is different, thats just how i play the game lol
  • edited November 2009
    I stuck to BR management and built up as nice bankroll, I then got to big for my boots £30 STTs, entering open etc and crashed bigtime.

I am now back managing my BR,doing okay and enjoying the game more.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Bank Roll Managment, How Close Do You REALLY Stay To The Recomendations:
    Personally i think sticking to bankroll is a big thing, i find if you stick to bankroll then slowly but surey it increases, howver when you start going beyond it then the more pressure makes u lose more as yu make decisions you wouldnt normally, but every1 is different, thats just how i play the game lol
    Posted by chrisbhoy
    I know to a degree that all those in favour of BR managment (and with this post i am really only on about low stakes players who are not holding thousands as a roll) are in fact right. And as i said i don't promote my use of funds to any player so if your currently using good tight BR control then don't take this as a call to arms to smash you £200 Roll on a £1 - £2 table (also something i have done incidently) but if your roll is £50 is it that important? Im not disagreeing I'm just wondering if there is a point where the stakes are so low you don't care or that the roll is so low the gambleis worth it?
  • edited November 2009
    My bank roll managment is awfull, always has been and probably always will be.

Ive tried to be semsible I just cant do it, thats why poker will always be a bit of fun for me and nothing more.

I use to have a br of £250+ and would regualry sit down at a cash tbl with all or close to all of it in fornt of me and there were times id do well and times when it would be gone in 2 hands.

I then got married and had kids so had to get my prioriteis right and dont have anywhere near that bankroll now, in fact after my wife giving birth 2 weeks ago its currently 0, hope to get back to playing in the next couple of weeks.

But even being skint it hasnt helped me be sensible, i won £20 in the feedback freeroll a couple of weeks ago, i told myslef i was gonig to be sensible, try and build it up bit by bit, playing the cheaper DYM's.  I didnt i entered the open for £17 I think and was out in 26 mins without winning a hand lol.

Ill never be succesfull at poker, ill win some torunys and loose some but its all about fun for me and I love it

Gareth
  • edited November 2009
    Hi

Well I have been right down to £3.00 and came back, so it does happen
  • edited November 2009
    I have stuck to the bank roll management rules. I even asked everyone's advice about going to play cash when I had about £20 as a roll. The advice was pretty unanimous that was stick to 5% and play DYMS. I have done so, it is very hard to be disciplined, but I have grinded up to just over £33 now and with a bit of luck from any freeroll hope to have this up near £50 by xmas.

I think the main point of BRM is to limit variance and to allow you to play with freedom and not with scared money. This is all proportional to your Roll of course. But for example a person playing a £50 DYM with a £1k roll will by and large play better than a person with a £100 roll who is worried about losing his £50 / 50% of his Roll.

Just my 2pennies worth.

Dave
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Bank Roll Managment, How Close Do You REALLY Stay To The Recomendations:
    My bank roll managment is awfull, always has been and probably always will be. Ive tried to be semsible I just cant do it, thats why poker will always be a bit of fun for me and nothing more. I use to have a br of £250+ and would regualry sit down at a cash tbl with all or close to all of it in fornt of me and there were times id do well and times when it would be gone in 2 hands. I then got married and had kids so had to get my prioriteis right and dont have anywhere near that bankroll now, in fact after my wife giving birth 2 weeks ago its currently 0, hope to get back to playing in the next couple of weeks. But even being skint it hasnt helped me be sensible, i won £20 in the feedback freeroll a couple of weeks ago, i told myslef i was gonig to be sensible, try and build it up bit by bit, playing the cheaper DYM's.  I didnt i entered the open for £17 I think and was out in 26 mins without winning a hand lol. Ill never be succesfull at poker, ill win some torunys and loose some but its all about fun for me and I love it Gareth
    Posted by 35suited
    Congrats on the new addition, I have 4 myself and like you say those wins when they come are very handy for the actual important things in life. I love to play but it is a hobby and just as i wouldn't keep £500 to one side to play bingo with if that was my hobby (although there are tables on here where i think i am sometimes lol) then i also don't do this for poker.

What i really wondered was I see SOOOOO many posts on here advocating good BR management (and i'd be lying if i said i'd never left a post telling people not to over extend and only to put 5% on blah blah blah) but i wondered weather everybody actually practiced what was preached if like me we know the facts, can give the advice but in truth just go for it when we play lol
  • edited November 2009
    I don't have to worry about my BR because it is never more than £5, so in theory I can only play the 30p sit 'n go's.
    If I have a run of 3 cashes on them, I move up to the 60p sit 'n go for one game and then, win or lose, I go back to the 30p games.
    I can only ever play a tournament if I have had a run of 10 to 15 cashes, and then in theory, it is still out of my BR.
    I only play on here for fun. I make my £5 last for as long as I can.
    I did do a survey on my sit 'n go's last month and ended up only 28p down for the month.
    My BR only went down due to entering a couple of tournaments, but I don't worry about it. I can afford a fiver a month if need be.
  • edited November 2009
    I don't follow any BR rules. I play mtt's and stick to what I can afford to lose comfortably. I play anything from £2 to $200 mtts (and occasionally above that). If I win a large amount I treat myself or family from the winnings. I've bought a number of things in the past that include, a car, a new stable block and a couple of relatively expensive watches. I've found that if I have large amounts on poker sites the temptation is to over-indulge on entry fees, so instead I spend it. I think though that if you have aspirations of playing poker for a living then BR management is essential.
  • edited November 2009
    I have a poker roll set aside in a bank account of £5k.

I have the ability to top this up with another £5k if needed.

However most of the time I have around 5BIs at 100nl in my Sky Poker account as that is my stop loss figure, so if I go mad then I can't do too much damage, and if I go on tilt then I can cool off for a bit and redeosit later.

The BR is not the amount you have in your poker account, but the amount you are willing to play with.  Therefore about £15k but £3k of that is on here and on another two site, with £2k being my live roll.

EDIT:  I play 50nl thru to 200nl ATM. I stick to it fairly rigid, as I have busted a LOT of money playing over my head and have been busto a couple of times, including being total life busto when I was 18.  I do still struggle with BRM and will sometimes sit down 500nl for a round or so before common sense kicks in.
  • edited November 2009
    My BR management is so-so. Sometimes I'm sensible (like now I'm currently playing only 1/2, sometimes 1.5/3 and not having the temptation to play 2.5/5 or 4.5/8 because I've only got 4k currently in the account - rest of the money I've won has been taken out to put me through uni among other things)

However I have done some stupid things in the past - sometimes it has worked out badly, othertimes I'm glad I took the risk because I might not have made as much otherwise. A clever thing was playing 1.5/3 with only 5 buy ins because I got it up to 4k within not much time. A dumb thing was then playing HU 5/10 (1K on the table) against someone a lot better than me at that time... and I blew 2k so was back down to 2k. Also was playing 2.5/5 when I only had 6 BI but that was a good move because after a month I then had 20 BI for 2.5/5.

It's also hard to define BR because if you have money outside that your prepared to put in because you can afford it - then gambling the £20 in your roll isn't as bad as if your completely skint outside that roll :)
  • edited November 2009
    if you cant afford to lose it dont put the money in your account  its all about fun the winnings nice but you dont win all the time if you only lose what you can afford theres no problems
  • edited November 2009
    I have stuck to the bank roll management rules. I even asked everyone's advice about going to play cash when I had about £20 as a roll. The advice was pretty unanimous that was stick to 5% and play DYMS. I have done so, it is very hard to be disciplined, but I have grinded up to just over £33 now and with a bit of luck from any freeroll hope to have this up near £50 by xmas. I think the main point of BRM is to limit variance and to allow you to play with freedom and not with scared money. This is all proportional to your Roll of course. But for example a person playing a £50 DYM with a £1k roll will by and large play better than a person with a £100 roll who is worried about losing his £50 / 50% of his Roll. Just my 2pennies worth. Dave
    Posted by Grimstar30
    And an absolutly correct 2pennies worth it is dave. Congrats on the roll building and i'm sure you'll hit your target, why will you hit it? because your playing within your limits and skill level.... but it's a long time to wait for £30. The bit that i fall down on is i know i could play this way and grind it up but if i'm playing for fun then 4 tableing 0.60p double your moneys just doesn't cut it for me. I know over months starting with £20 i could make it £60 playing within the rules. But i've also seen how i can spin £10 to £250 in 2 days and the temptation to think i could do it one more time always takes over lol 

I feel i have to keep making the point that i'm not against BR managment i just don't use it, i have to get that in their before people start to beleive im absolute bafoon trying to say it doesn't matter. I was just interested at what levels people start to use it and weather all lower level players were using it or some were like me. 

I will be using BR managment but only when i get christmas out of the way and can make a sizeable deposit that i plan on keeping running. At £1k i think it is all important, At £50 it just doesn't seem worth keeping out of games and tourneys i want to play in. You make an excelent point about playing with scarred money and i think thats what it comes down to really. If i play the open for £11 or put £20 on a cash table i don't see it as playing with scarred money.
  • edited November 2009
    BR Management is essential to any player with a budget, we will never win big and buy all those things but certainly wont lose it either
  • edited November 2009
    But yeah BRM is needed to be a good long term player and its importance should never be underestimated.

If you dont have a BRM policy, then as long as what you sit down with you can afford to lose than thats ok too.

we cant all be good poker players, which is a fact that i am very happy aboput.
  • edited November 2009
    i once deposited £20 on here ran it up 2 £200 in 1 session on cash, going through the levels, started at 10p 20p blinds then lost the lot on aa v kk ( i had the aa), was gutted i didnt use some sort of common sense there. but i dont see how any1 could stick 2 br with only £20, i think minimum should be £100 2 have any chance of success
  • edited November 2009

I think bankroll management is really important but agreed that it means more if your playing at least low medium stakes. (0.50-1 and higher)

For example if i decide to go down town with my mates on a saturday night i will spend around £100,But if i rather stay in to play the open with some other tournys for around 50 pounds and i loose it all, then im still up 50 pounds. (with having as much fun)

Bankroll management helps me though as im currently grinding 0.50-1 (dont play cash on sky poker) and i wont move up until i hit $5000 as if i cant make that i wont be good enough to beat 1-2 neway.
  • edited November 2009
    When I first started I didnt follow bankroll management too much, I would find a tourney I wanted to play and would play it, if i had a bad run and my bankroll went down I would still play the same trnys, and eventually go bust. The worst feeling in poker is when you spend the last of your bankroll on a game and lose!!

After a couple of yrs of cashing out and having to deposit (cashed out more than deposited though) I finally decided.. OK im going to put a healthy amount into my BR and then work on that. I put £100 on and stuck to between 5 and 10% of my BR... I am now comfortable to play any tourney on the site (apartfrom the 2k ds) which means i dont play scared and player better poker

I am a believer though if you do want to get into poker you do need to put a fair amount in to start (only what you can afford) and play the games suited to your BR, if you start from only 10 or 20 quid you will get bored of grinding such low stakes and will eventually give up. Before you do that however make sure you are a winning poker player, no point throwing good money after bad
  • edited November 2009

i dont use the BR rule.

Like yourself i oftne find myself using to full wack expessially if im low on cash

• edited November 2009
    I have just been checking my bank details for Sky Poker activity and after adding everything up for the last year, I am a total of £4.92p down for the last 12 months.
    I think that is a good figure considering I am not one of the better players on the site and only play the small games and only play for fun..
  • edited November 2009
    i dont stick to it at all,i dont think its very important tbh.
  • edited November 2009
    i dont stick to it at all,i dont think its very important tbh.
    Posted by namesb0nd
    Thats a way to go broke VERY VERY fast unless you a careful. 
  • edited November 2009
    I stick to a 5% entry rule and I'm very strict, I have to be otherwise I'd blow the lot on the cash tables when I'd had a few lol. I last deposited £50 back in March and it's now about £450.
    There's an infommercial on 865 by Rich Orford saying how key BRM is, and he should know ;-) lol
  • edited November 2009
    I religiously stick to 5% for STT games.

It was very tedious at first and initially I started with a small deposit and as a result had to start at the bottom end.

I have now enough to have a crack at the £11.00's comfortably, however, I do enjoy more the £3.30's so I tend to stick to those.

So effectively, I only use about 1.5% of it at any one time at the moment. It does mean I will never be rich, but by the same token, I will never go bust.