You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bank Roll Managment, How Close Do You REALLY Stay To The Recomendations

2»

Comments

• edited November 2009
    THINK I DEPENDS ON WHY YOU PLAY. IF ITS FOR FUN DECIDE WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD TO LOOSE DEPOSIT IT AND ENJOY IT FOR AS LONG AS I LASTS.
    IF YOU ARE PLAYING TO MAKE A LIVING THE BRM IS ESSENTIAL.
    THOUGHT I WAS GOOD AT BRM EXPLAINED IT ALL TO MY WIFE WHO REPLIED "THATS NOTHING TO DO WITH BRM YOU JUST NATURALLY TIGHT AS A*** HOLES" 
  • edited November 2009
    I suppose it ok if say you have £20 in your account and you fancy a go at the primo to put a top up in to play, but having a bankroll management is more for pros, otherwise just deposit when its necessary (within your budget)
  • edited November 2009
    Must admit I don't particularly follow the BR rules as such but then I also don't think I'm crazy with it. If I rigidly stuck to the rules then I could play £11 STT's but TBH I prefer to stick to the £3 & £5 games as that's what I feel comfortable with.

I also agree with what some others have said in that you should only really play with what you can afford to lose and NEVER play with scared money (another reason why I won't particularly play much higher stakes regularly)
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Bank Roll Managment, How Close Do You REALLY Stay To The Recomendations:
    I suppose it ok if say you have £20 in your account and you fancy a go at the primo to put a top up in to play, but having a bankroll management is more for pros, otherwise just deposit when its necessary
    Posted by loonytoons
     This is the worst thiong you can do mate.. Soon you will get/or already have the poker bug and will keep dipping into your bank account, before you know it uv put a few hundred's worth of top ups on and are struggling to pay rent/mortgage... This is how poker/gambling has got such a bad reputation.. Try and think of it as a challenge in itself that you are not allowed to go bust.

Take a leaf out of Grimstar and acebarrys books, they love poker but are not shy of playing 60p DYMs to not go bust

P.S this isn't directed at you personally im not saying u have a problem at all, im just saying what can and does happen to people, just self discipline is the key
  • edited November 2009
    Bankroll Management is probably the most important part of being a poker player. I've seen people who can play but I wouldn't call them poker players, I'd call them gamblers because they are playing well out of their roll. There are some very well known UK circuit pros who have an actual bankroll of £0 and play because they borrow from Peter to pay Paul, ask Tikay, he'll tell you a number of shocking stories about this. If all the pros played according to "proper" BRM rules, then tours like the GUKPT would probably have about 20 players plus satellite qualifiers.

As for me, I have 2 rolls on 2 sites. On my main site is my main roll, where I play my main game. I'm probably over-rolled for my game as I have 800bb's (I'm a limit player, so bb = big bet NOT big blind) currently, but I like to have 500-600bb's when I move up in stakes and at the moment, I have just over 300bb's if I were to move up now. My second roll is on here, and what I've done is taken a free £5 Sky were giving out and using it to play £2.20 and £3.30 deep stacks, and I was lucky enough to finish second in an 18 man one for £10. I'm not utilising BRM for my Sky account because that is a blowout for me when I get fed up with my main game.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Bank Roll Managment, How Close Do You REALLY Stay To The Recomendations:
    In Response to Re: Bank Roll Managment, How Close Do You REALLY Stay To The Recomendations :  This is the worst thiong you can do mate.. Soon you will get/or already have the poker bug and will keep dipping into your bank account, before you know it uv put a few hundred's worth of top ups on and are struggling to pay rent/mortgage... This is how poker/gambling has got such a bad reputation.. Try and think of it as a challenge in itself that you are not allowed to go bust.  Take a leaf out of Grimstar and acebarrys books, they love poker but are not shy of playing 60p DYMs to not go bust P.S this isn't directed at you personally im not saying u have a problem at all, im just saying what can and does happen to people, just self discipline is the key
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Everything in moderation i say.What i was saying was, whats wrong with depositing £30 and having a go at a primo. Whats wrong with depositing £10 and having a go at the 8pm tourny.Using the 5% rule a player would need £660 in their account. Just like when a punter goes to the bookies and puts £30 on football bets, doesnt mean he has £660 in his pocket. Of course you get people with gambling problems, however that does not mean than we all do. Like i said everything in moderation 
  • edited November 2009
    A year ago I was grinding on .5/.10 cash and found it an awful struggle!  I went outside bankroll rules and played higher and now have a very comfortable bank roll.  I still feel unsure about sitting on higher cash tables - even though I can manage it. I guess what I'm saying is, u need to find a level ur comfortable playing at - regardless if its 1% or 50% of ur bankroll. It's better to play poker and not mind losing (if thats possible) than play with scared money.

PS cant get rid of the italics and am not writing this again :P
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Bank Roll Managment, How Close Do You REALLY Stay To The Recomendations :  This is the worst thiong you can do mate.. Soon you will get/or already have the poker bug and will keep dipping into your bank account, before you know it uv put a few hundred's worth of top ups on and are struggling to pay rent/mortgage... This is how poker/gambling has got such a bad reputation.. Try and think of it as a challenge in itself that you are not allowed to go bust.  Take a leaf out of Grimstar and acebarrys books, they love poker but are not shy of playing 60p DYMs to not go bust P.S this isn't directed at you personally im not saying u have a problem at all, im just saying what can and does happen to people, just self discipline is the key
    Posted by FlashFlush
    soz flash but i agree with looney.if you have self control and you only play what you can afford to lose bankroll means nowt
  • edited November 2009
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Gambling addiction is a very different and all together darker subjet in which a person has no control over their compulsion. My point is simply that i don't keep to a bank roll rule as i never really know how much or little im going to want to play and i don't religously stick to playing 60p DYM's because i only have xy&z in my account. If i can afford to play i play and if my kids need shoes then i dont lol. And as a site of majority recreational players i wouldn't imagine that many people keep a strict roll and many more would just dip in and out at will. This was a good way to find out and i thank you for your views (all not just Flash)

Im really chuffed with all the responses and obviously there are quite a lot of people on each side of the fence here.
  • edited November 2009
    Bankroll management is important if you aim to keep winning in the long term. Since i first deposited £5 and started winning i have stuck to the 5% rule and now withdraw about £100 a month which is nice considering im a student. I started on the 30p dym and have moved up through each level and currently 2 table the £3.30 games. If you are playing for fun though and dont mind losing your money or can not be bothered to play low stakes because you find it boring etc then it is up to you with your money and if you play for fun then just play for fun and do what you want!
  • edited November 2009
    Bankroll management is important if you aim to keep winning in the long term. Since i first deposited £5 and started winning i have stuck to the 5% rule and now withdraw about £100 a month which is nice considering im a student. I started on the 30p dym and have moved up through each level and currently 2 table the £3.30 games. If you are playing for fun though and dont mind losing your money or can not be bothered to play low stakes because you find it boring etc then it is up to you with your money and if you play for fun then just play for fun and do what you want!
    Posted by BlackFish3
    winning and losing isn't realy what this is about. I'm not down money wise because i don't like to play to BR rules. It's true that there may be times when i can't play cos i've done what's in my account but remember this is only 1 account and i play at various sites so i always have money somewhere. as an MTT player i put the money to play either the tournaments or satalites to the tournaments that i feel like playing so when people comment on going "Broke" that is not a true reflection, im not broke it's just theres no money in the account. I still have money but i don't let a percentage rule chose the games i will and won't play. im still up by 4 figures which i may have thrown a maddy on and wasted had i not cashed it out and done actual "real life" things with.
  • edited November 2009
    u got to set rules for yourself or ur going to get into trouble,the problem is you sort of relax when your doing well, concentration is key.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Bank Roll Managment, How Close Do You REALLY Stay To The Recomendations : winning and losing isn't realy what this is about. I'm not down money wise because i don't like to play to BR rules. It's true that there may be times when i can't play cos i've done what's in my account but remember this is only 1 account and i play at various sites so i always have money somewhere. as an MTT player i put the money to play either the tournaments or satalites to the tournaments that i feel like playing so when people comment on going "Broke" that is not a true reflection, im not broke it's just theres no money in the account. I still have money but i don't let a percentage rule chose the games i will and won't play. im still up by 4 figures which i may have thrown a maddy on and wasted had i not cashed it out and done actual "real life" things with.
    Posted by ACESOVER8s

You technically have a bankroll of over 1000 pounds though, so if you dont play tournys over 30 pounds then you are sticking to your banroll neway.

Also you seem quite controlled and you are a winning player so bankroll management is not as important to you as someone with a addictive personality who will gamble money they cant afford.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Bank Roll Managment, How Close Do You REALLY Stay To The Recomendations : winning and losing isn't realy what this is about. I'm not down money wise because i don't like to play to BR rules. It's true that there may be times when i can't play cos i've done what's in my account but remember this is only 1 account and i play at various sites so i always have money somewhere. as an MTT player i put the money to play either the tournaments or satalites to the tournaments that i feel like playing so when people comment on going "Broke" that is not a true reflection, im not broke it's just theres no money in the account. I still have money but i don't let a percentage rule chose the games i will and won't play. im still up by 4 figures which i may have thrown a maddy on and wasted had i not cashed it out and done actual "real life" things with.
    Posted by ACESOVER8s

You technically have a bankroll of over 1000 pounds though, so if you dont play tournys over 30 pounds then you are sticking to your banroll neway.

Also you seem quite controlled and you are a winning player so bankroll management is not as important to you as someone with a addictive personality who will gamble money they cant afford.