You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Flop Decision

edited February 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Tough spot... hard to see what you're beating... he flatted your 4-bet though so you can rule out AA/KK and possibly QQ.  Could easily be sitting there with AQ/JJ... don't know, tricky one!  

Nice avatar btw.

Comments

• edited February 2012
    What are we doing here, readless?  Are we thinking that this flop hits him bang in the face?
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    XXX Small blind  10.00 10.00 2470.00
    flame80 Big blind  20.00 30.00 3230.00
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • A

Wilhelm Raise  60.00 90.00 2595.00
    graz675 Call  60.00 150.00 2470.00
    seadragon Fold     
    ROCKLY Fold     
    XXX Raise  130.00 280.00 2340.00
    flame80 Fold     
    Wilhelm Raise  420.00 700.00 2175.00
    graz675 Fold     
    XXX Call  340.00 1040.00 2000.00
    Flop

• A
    • Q
    • J

XXX Check
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: Flop Decision:
    Tough spot... hard to see what you're beating... he flatted your 4-bet though so you can rule out AA/KK and possibly QQ.  Could easily be sitting there with AQ/JJ... don't know, tricky one!   Nice avatar btw.
    Posted by Andyl1986
    Just thinking that.
  • edited January 2012
    After 4betting pre not sure you can fold on that flop but I admit it also hits their range too quite hard.

Maybe just check back flop.
  • edited January 2012
    I agree with what dude says smacks opponents range I also check back flop dont thinks worse hands call on that flop and better hands dont fold imo.
  • edited January 2012
    What buy-in was this?

That should give you a good idea of what to do.
  • edited January 2012
    bet

you have 4 bet and now you want to check!!!!!!!!!
  • edited January 2012
    bet you have 4 bet and now you want to check!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by rancid
    I didn't say I wanted to check. 
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: Flop Decision : I didn't say I wanted to check. 
    Posted by Wilhelm
    check or bet
    if your not checking then.......bet
    do you think you should check ?
    How do you get away from this hand, do you c/f , c/c and then c/f turn

If oppo flips over better then so be it...... you could b/f but really...........
    Should we check and induce bluff or will oppo bet worse

b/f seems better imo

but..... oppo did flat 4 bet :S riddles man riddles
    What is oppo flatting 4 bet OOP - AA/KK probs

• edited January 2012
    Reason I check is oppo has 3bet an UTG raiser out of the small blind, not many people are bluffing here so usually a decent holding, he then just flats a pretty strong 4bet OOP so either so strong he see's no value in raising again or has made a bad call pre with say 10's/9's and will check fold most flops.

However he could also hold KK and be kicking himself after seeing the ace so betting will scare him off but that's bad as we want him to think we've missed too which checking tells him, likewise 10's might feel more confident after flop being checked back.

Main thing you have to decided is WHY am I betting, for value or bluff and if for value what calls that we beat after the action preflop, for me A10, KQ or stubborn KK, A10 and KQ seem unlikely after pre action tho so just KK for me and I'd rather check to let him bluff on later streets. 

Also there is a decent chance he had AA/QQ/JJ/AQ/AJ in which case we're dead and betting would be bad and only for information i.e b/f as Ranny mentioned.
  • edited January 2012
    If your not happy putting your chips in here you should never have 4 bet.

Your basically 4 bet bluffing pre if you put your hand down on flop.
  • edited January 2012
    If your not happy putting your chips in here you should never have 4 bet. Your basically 4 bet bluffing pre if you put your hand down on flop.
    Posted by AMYBR
    If you read hand you can see we are IP and hence can check back facing a check infront of us. 

We could open fold IP but that would be a little silly :).
  • edited January 2012
    If your not happy putting your chips in here you should never have 4 bet. Your basically 4 bet bluffing pre if you put your hand down on flop.
    Posted by AMYBR
    If I did fold the flop, the 4bet pre is still for value.  I shall explain this for you:

I think my hand is marginally ahead of my opponent's shoving range pre-flop. I would like to get as much money in the pot as possible.  

Having seen three cards which alter the dynamic of the hand, my best guess is that I am probably behind the range of hands my opponent would call a 4bet with.  To bet now still has to be for value as I cannot fold out better hands. 
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: Flop Decision : If you read hand you can see we are IP and hence can check back facing a check infront of us.  We could open fold IP but that would be a little silly :).
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Am not saying we should not check back.

I'm talking of hesitation in the hand.

What are we doing on turn if Opponent leads into us?  When its a brick or filler? 

Are we flatting following two streets or giving up?  Or looking to pot control by c/cing one street, letting the board develop cheaply in 4bet pot?  You state hand is readless, so we dont have to interpret board as terrible for us.

I dont like going to the turn here with no additional info.  As played looks like we are c/fing AK when 4bet pre on wet A high flop, without doing anything to protect our hand.

Buy in would help here.

Am happy to check back flop or bet for variety of reasons.  My issue with the hand is what happens on later streets.  If not behind already we let turn come off free, then river at a discount in 4bet pot.

There are alot of bad cards for us on turn.  Doubtless opponents range is scary, but are we giving up on turn if he leads into us as played?

Do we think opponent 3bet stations the 4 bet w AQ/J or preemy PP's?  Being readless we dont know.  But given stacks he knows your unlikely 4bet folding to a 5bet shove when he holds the top of his range that your concerned by.

When checking back flop we need to have a clear decision made as to what we are doing if he leads into us on turn.  If it is not to fold, we may as well bet flop.  But there are som many turns that make our hand uglier.
  • edited January 2012

flat 4 bet oop should be KK/AA so........

b/c, stick it in with backdoor draws )

probably going to c/r and show you AAA !
  • edited January 2012
    Additional streets will be tricky especially with each only having a 2x pot bet behind but we can play that when it comes, for now we're IP so have the power and hence can choose to bet for value or bluff, obvz as bluff is bad so that leaves value and as I earlier wrote not sure what worse calls. 

You also mention:

I dont like going to the turn here with no additional info

No offence but I presume you realise this is a pretty bad way to think about the game, i.e 'betting for information' 
  • edited January 2012
    If we are beat we will face a lead on turn 100%
    if we check or bet we will face the same decision tbh

rarther b/f than fold to a bet on turn

If we are ahead and check it down then we win
    If we bet and oppo fold, we win -
    oppo will not bet worse and if oppo does bet worse or better we are folding - we lose

get what am i sayings
  • edited January 2012
    Additional streets will be tricky especially with each only having a 2x pot bet behind but we can play that when it comes, for now we're IP so have the power and hence can choose to bet for value or bluff, obvz as bluff is bad so that leaves value and as I earlier wrote not sure what worse calls.  You also mention: I dont like going to the turn here with no additional info No offence but I presume you realise this is a pretty bad way to think about the game, i.e 'betting for information' 
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    That would be the most popular opinion, one that I agree with.  But as in everything, there are exceptions.  Betting for information is nearly always bad.  In some spots its a tool we can opt to use, as long as we know why we are doing it and have a definitive purpose.  This would never be a spot to do it. 

When I comment that I dont like going to turn with no more info, I mean that our decision should be pretty much made on flop as to our intentions on turn.  Any bet or call commits us.  We are either behind or ahead on flop, or flipping- vs some combi draws.  Nearly half the deck makes our decision more complex, paint, 10 or spade.  With this in mind we are only going to turn to raise AI when he leads, to fold when he leads or have the turn card make our decision for us.

But in this case am not talking of betting for information.  Read my reply again and try and take it in the context is was meant.

We can only bet flop to get it in given stacks, pot size.
  • edited January 2012
    Not sure how many ways info can be interpreted, checking flop doesn't get this but betting would, ere go 'betting for info' 

On hand though if we check back flop oppo could easily bluff on the turn and if he checks we check back again and then river he might even try value betting KK and we could value bet our hand.
  • edited January 2012
    Are you happy folding to a bet on turn or river

by not betting you kinda are obviously
  • edited January 2012
    Are you happy folding to a bet on turn or river by not betting you kinda are obviously
    Posted by rancid
    Dude is clearly checking with the intention of calling.  I don't see how he could have expressed this more clearly.
  • edited January 2012
    100% check v this player.

Not loving the 4bet pre either....but I dnt really know. 

He never has a flush draw.

His range is full of sets & 2 pair hands. 

• edited January 2012
    Depends how big it is really (if on turn), if he checks turn I snap off a river bet.

Betting imo ONLY gets called by better so why bet? 

FWIW if you know he's some crazy loon who 3bet/flats OOP w/Ace rags by all means bet away for VALUE but without those reads betting ain't great.
  • edited January 2012
    100% check v this player. Not loving the 4bet pre either....but I dnt really know.  He never has a flush draw. His range is full of sets & 2 pair hands. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

really. flatting 4 bet oop with them hands sucks tbh ) but we've all done it :O
    I think overall if we check or bet, we are facing the same decision
    But maybe thinking about it with back door equity we should check

Are we really sure oppo bets with worse/bluffs to go into c/c mode mmmmmm

Need reads on pre and post tbh - readless sux
  • edited January 2012

i also said check back flop coz has doh just mentioned he could have set/2 pair hands so check back control pot and also in position see what opponent does on turn gain more info.

also I agree wilhelm obv did 4 bet for value just imo think the opponent could have easily smashed this flop wae aq,aj,qq,jj or missed wae hands like 10s or 9s so by betting flop better hands call or raise worse hands fold
    we dont just bet because we have top pair top kicker got to think what opponent has imo

• edited January 2012
    i also said check back flop coz has doh just mentioned he could have set/2 pair hands so check back control pot and also in position see what opponent does on turn gain more info. also I agree wilhelm obv did 4 bet for value just imo think the opponent could have easily smashed this flop wae aq,aj,qq,jj or missed wae hands like 10s or 9s so by betting flop better hands call or raise worse hands fold we dont just bet because we have top pair top kicker got to think what opponent has imo
    Posted by liamboi11

Would love to know what oppo thinks heroes 4 betting range is to be flatting with them hands oop tbh
  • edited February 2012
    so what hands are you think he callin a 4bet with ?

also i`m just sayin they hands could be possible imo.
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Flop Decision : really. flatting 4 bet oop with them hands sucks tbh ) but we've all done it :O I think overall if we check or bet, we are facing the same decision But maybe thinking about it with back door equity we should check Are we really sure oppo bets with worse/bluffs to go into c/c mode mmmmmm Need reads on pre and post tbh - readless sux
    Posted by rancid
    This exactly.

Also working on assumption that opponent has a real hand.

If we are looking to call a bet on turn that is going to be stack significant I far prefer continuing on flop.  Maintain betting lead and prevent board from developing.

If stacks are deeper we can take a different line.  But the with the pot being at this size with one committing bet, when we are willing to call a bet on turn, I much prefer opening on flop.

• edited February 2012
    Villain is affectionately known as "a ladderer", which suggests he's extremely risk averse.....

That's why I'm unsure about the 4b pre, and very weary of this board.

His 3betting range will be very tight, & he may well flat your 4 bet with T-Q's & AK, maybe even Kings, just to see no ace on the flop.

If he 3bets TT+ & AQ+, hes smashed this flop. 

It's a no brainer to check this back, if we bet we're looking for a loose call from KK & an optimistic TT only. 
  • edited February 2012
    Villain is affectionately known as "a ladderer", which suggests he's extremely risk averse..... That's why I'm unsure about the 4b pre, and very weary of this board. His 3betting range will be very tight, & he may well flat your 4 bet with T-Q's & AK, maybe even Kings, just to see no ace on the flop. If he 3bets TT+ & AQ+, hes smashed this flop.  It's a no brainer to check this back, if we bet we're looking for a loose call from KK & an optimistic TT only. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I might edit his name out now...
  • edited February 2012
    when you leave the name in and say you are readless every answer you get is going to based on whatever history the player has with the person answering the question.

I can't say I remember playing with this guy ever but 'readless' you 4 bet and you make TPTK, flop is a check but I'm not folding to a blank turn.