You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

this happens alot and is so annoying...

2»

Comments

• edited March 2012
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    rainbow_x_ Small blind  75.00 75.00 12265.00
    DARK4NIGHT Big blind  150.00 225.00 930.00
     Your hole cards
    • J
    • J

ClintonH83 Raise  450.00 675.00 5305.00
    Gullyman Call  450.00 1125.00 3922.50
    losthornet Fold     
    fez197 Fold     
    rainbow_x_ Call  375.00 1500.00 11890.00
    DARK4NIGHT Fold     
    Flop

• J
    • A

rainbow_x_ Check     
    ClintonH83 Bet  750.00 2250.00 4555.00
    Gullyman Fold     
    rainbow_x_ Fold     
    ClintonH83 Muck     
    ClintonH83 Win  1500.00  6055.00
    ClintonH83 Return  750.00 0.00
  • edited March 2012
    ClintonH83 Small blind  30.00 30.00 2905.00
    Gullyman Big blind  60.00 90.00 2395.00
     Your hole cards
    • K
    • A

stukojak1 Call  60.00 150.00 730.00
    towler01 Fold     
    ablardtong Call  60.00 210.00 2450.00
    DARK4NIGHT Fold     
    ClintonH83 Raise  210.00 420.00 2695.00
    Gullyman Fold     
    stukojak1 Call  180.00 600.00 550.00
    ablardtong Call  180.00 780.00 2270.00
    Flop

• K
    • J

ClintonH83 Bet  780.00 1560.00 1915.00
    stukojak1 All-in  550.00 2110.00 0.00
    ablardtong Call  780.00 2890.00 1490.00
    Turn

ClintonH83 All-in  1915.00 4805.00 0.00
    ablardtong Fold     
    ClintonH83 Unmatched bet  1915.00 2890.00 1915.00
    ClintonH83 Show
    • K
    • A

stukojak1 Show

River

• K

ClintonH83 Win Three Kings 2890.00
  • edited March 2012
    KG_IGMMIG Small blind  100.00 100.00 1745.00
    FunkyFreak Big blind  200.00 300.00 2160.00
     Your hole cards
    • A

ClintonH83 Call  200.00 500.00 1215.00
    zhuzh Fold     
    pezzaaaa Call  200.00 700.00 4485.00
    KG_IGMMIG Fold     
    FunkyFreak Check     
    Flop

FunkyFreak Check     
    ClintonH83 Bet  200.00 900.00 1015.00
    pezzaaaa Call  200.00 1100.00 4285.00
    FunkyFreak Fold     
    Turn

ClintonH83 Check     
    pezzaaaa Bet  400.00 1500.00 3885.00
    ClintonH83 All-in  1015.00 2515.00 0.00
    pezzaaaa Call  615.00 3130.00 3270.00
    ClintonH83 Show
    • A

pezzaaaa Show

River

ClintonH83 Win Two Pairs, 8s and 3s 3130.00  3130.00
  • edited March 2012
    dilshan Small blind  10.00 10.00 1970.00
    birdsnest Big blind  20.00 30.00 2205.00
     Your hole cards

Carlos_ Fold     
    schorah21 Call  20.00 50.00 1980.00
    bar38 Fold     
    ClintonH83 Raise  100.00 150.00 1805.00
    dilshan Fold     
    birdsnest Call  80.00 230.00 2125.00
    schorah21 Fold     
    Flop

birdsnest All-in  2125.00 2355.00 0.00
    ClintonH83 All-in  1805.00 4160.00 0.00
    birdsnest Unmatched bet  320.00 3840.00 320.00
    birdsnest Show

ClintonH83 Show

Turn

• J

River

ClintonH83 Win Two Pairs, 10s and 4s 3840.00  3840.00
  • edited March 2012
    leo07 Small blind  10.00 10.00 2265.00
    goldie1616 Big blind  20.00 30.00 1980.00
     Your hole cards

shrek01 Fold     
    ilori10 Fold     
    ClintonH83 Call  20.00 50.00 1980.00
    JSAVO Fold     
    leo07 Call  10.00 60.00 2255.00
    goldie1616 Check     
    Flop

leo07 Check     
    goldie1616 Check     
    ClintonH83 Bet  60.00 120.00 1920.00
    leo07 Call  60.00 180.00 2195.00
    goldie1616 Fold     
    Turn

leo07 Check     
    ClintonH83 Bet  180.00 360.00 1740.00
    leo07 Raise  360.00 720.00 1835.00
    ClintonH83 Raise  360.00 1080.00 1380.00
    leo07 Raise  360.00 1440.00 1475.00
    ClintonH83 All-in  1380.00 2820.00 0.00
    leo07 All-in  1475.00 4295.00 0.00
    leo07 Unmatched bet  275.00 4020.00 275.00
    leo07 Show
    • K

ClintonH83 Show

River

ClintonH83 Win Straight to the 9 4020.00  4020.00
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: this happens alot and is so annoying...:
    With the AJ, you have 10BB and pick up AJ utg, six handed. It's a straightforward shove. Most of the time everyone folds and you add 15% to your stack. Limping in is bad for many reasons, reasons that are magnified enormously when we're playing only 10BB. The biggest problem isn't what happens when we hit the flop but our opponent hits it harder and stacks us: The biggest problems are that a) most of the time we miss the flop completely and dribble off 10% of our stack and b) sometimes someone shoves over the top of us pre-flop and we either fold without seeing the flop or call our stack off. Calling our stack off only gives us one chance to win. If we make the raise we have two chances to win. So your mistake in the first hand was limping. Your mistake in the second hand, with the AT, was... well you didn't make a mistake. You got all your chips into the middle and were a favourite when you did so. More importantly, you made the raise and put your opponent under pressure. (To be precise, you had to make the call of a small amount, but it was your raise that effectively put your opponent all-in. He would have known that his decision was for his stack) One thing that has to be said, though, is that your opponent with the KJ was never likely to fold as he'd already put in nearly 1/6 of his stack. It does concern me a little that you didn't actually set him all-in because it suggests that you hadn't paid attention to his stack size. Awareness of the size of our opponents' stacks is one of the most important elements of poker. I can't emphasise that enough. Now, all the hands you've posted so far have been hands that you've lost. If you'd like us to truly evaluate your play then you'll need to post some hands you've won as well. The mistakes we make when we win are just as costly as those we make when we lose. So if you'd like to post some hands you've won, we can give you a better idea of whether you are "just a shocking player or unlucky" as you put it. It would be good to post some hands that you won playing through the streets as well as hands that you won getting it in pre-flop or on the flop. Post some of these on the clinic and you might get a better idea of leaks in your game and of areas of weakness that you're not aware of.
    Posted by BorinLoner

ive put some hands on, see what u think? i appriciate you all helping with your advice cause i love playing and would really like to up my game

i think i worry to much about losing, with the AJ i shud of gone all in and been like its a fair hand  to go out with but im always thinking is there a better hand or position to wait for so i'll just call

with the A10 i seen his stack so thought if i raise it just below his stack he'll call, all in might scare him off??
  • edited March 2012
    Hey listen, the bad players are the ones that aren't trying to improve their games. You aren't one of them. They're the players that lose every time they sit down but still think they've got the game sussed out. These are the players we like to see. Make them feel welcome at the table. Make them feel loved. :)

There's a theme in some of these hands: You raise with your big hands - AK, JJ, TT - and limp with your weaker hands - AJ, A8, 89. Limping is almost always bad as we don't give ourselves a chance of winning the pot pre-flop. It's also very important that we balance our range. This means that we need to raise with weak hands as well as strong hands; otherwise our opponents will be able to know when we have strong hands and when we don't.

I see what you say about the hand with the AT. You need to understand, though, that the ideal situation for you in that hand is for the opponent to fold. What we want in tournament poker is to win as many chips without going to showdown as possible. We can never lose when our opponents fold. On this particular hand there are 500 chips in the middle that we'd be happy to win - they represent a potential 16.7% increase to your stack. That's dead money and it's important to understand its value. The benefit of shoving here is that some of the time we take that dead money down without a showdown. In fact, AT is not such a strong hand that we want to be called very often. It's not a long way ahead of many hands - We're about 60/40 against any King high hand and 70/30 against any Ace below A9, but pocket pairs below TT are flipping with us.

So don't be worried about scaring our opponent off with a shove; That's a good thing. (Although, in this case, as I say, there wasn't much chance of forcing him to fold since he'd put such a big proportion of his stack in already)

I'll go over some of the hands you posted individually in a little more detail shortly. Bear with me.
  • edited March 2012

On the JJ hand: You played it by the book. Not a single thing wrong there. 3x pre-flop and you don't fall into the trap of checking your hand on the J,T,A flop.. You figure to get value if someone has called with an Ace here so there was no reason to slow-play and by betting now you avoid the risk of a scare card - a King or Queen - coming to kill either your action or your hand on the turn. Betting half-pot is perfect, as long as it's the same bet that you make as a bluff when you miss.

With the AK: I think you raised too little pre-flop. In tournaments there's a standard model for opening raises that is pretty reliable: Make it 3x if you are the first to enter the pot or 3x plus 1x for every limper that's entered the pot in front of you. So in this hand you should be making it 5x because of the two limpers. So you'd make it 300. This is because it's much easier, and therefore better, to play heads-up on a flop than multi-way. So we need to bet enough to try to get at least one of our opponents to fold. Even the more experienced players that would make a 2.2x opening raise would use this model. They'd add an extra blind for each limper onto their raise, so if it's good enough for them...

On the flop you lead for a full-pot bet. I'd prefer a half-pot bet here because a full-pot bet looks like you're trying to get it all-in on this flop. It looks strong and it is strong but that's not good. We don't want to make ourselves so easily predictable. In fact, by making this pot-sized bet we're guaranteeing that weak hands like Jacks and weaker draws don't carry on in the hand. That means we lose value from weak hands while making sure that only strong hands continue in the hand with us. (Even though the short stack chooses to go all-in with bottom pair here. This player shouldn't have been in the hand at all and we can't base our long-term decisions on the basis of this one player's mistake)

The A8 hand: I think this is the hand you played worst of all. We're under the gun with a raggy Ace and 7BB. With so few blinds left we have to make a simple decision: Do we shove or do we fold? We can't limp for the reasons I detailed in my earlier post. As it plays we limped, flopped top-pair and got the double-up from 77 but with unpaired cards we'll miss the flop 2/3 times, we'll have just Ace high and will usually be forced to fold. We'll have frittered away 1/7 of our stack without ever raising and therefore without ever giving ourselves a chance to win the pot.
    With this hand and only 7BB left, this should have been a shove pre-flop. When the raise gets through we add 1.5BB to our stack and if we get called we're a 30% chance, at worst, against any hand other than AA. 30% isn't great but it's not terrible either and more often that not we won't be called.

On the TT: I can't see stack sizes or bet sizes so I can't say much, but it looks like you played it fine and your opponent is a bit mad playing 95.

On the 89: Again we limp into the pot. This time we're in late position and if we raise, most of the time the blinds just fold and we add them to our stack. We never really need to play 89 but there's no reason not to in the early stages of the tournament, as long as we're not calling raises with them or limping in. If we look at what our opponent shows down in this hand, we can see that we could have just taken the pot down with a raise pre-flop. That's usually the case when we're in late position as, with only three players to act behind us, there's not a great chance that they will have a strong or even moderately strong hand.

It's important that we not be results orientated when we play poker. On this ocassion we limped in and ended up winning a big pot, but in the long run we will lose more than we win by limping.

The interesting thing about this hand is what happens on the flop. The flop is 3,6,5 and it's checked to us. The interesting thing about it is that this is when we choose to bet. We've missed the flop and now we're betting. Our opponents have shown weakness by checking it to us but we only have a gutshot and two over-cards. Right now we figure to not be holding the best hand since Ten-high is beating us. So if we're willing to bet with no hand on the flop, why not raise it pre-flop? Besides that, we've bet full-pot again here and that's more than we need to. If neither opponent has anything they'll fold for a half-pot bet just as often as they'll fold for full-pot, but the full-pot bet costs us more on the ocassions when they don't fold. The turn is just an incredibly lucky card for our hand since it makes us the nuts at the same time as making a really strong hand for our opponent.

Basically I think it's really important that you start raising more often pre-flop. Every time you think about limping in, try raising instead. I can practically guarantee that you'll see better results. Raising pre-flop makes it easier for us to play through the streets - we can raise with any hand but our opponents need a real hand to call, meaning we can define our opponents' ranges more easily - as well as giving us a chance to win the pot pre-flop.

It will be interesting to see what other people think. I'm pretty knackered now though. Hope I've been of some help.

• edited March 2012
    I don't just want to simply put the same as everything above, because that would take away everything Boris has taken the time to excellently analyze, and I wouldn't be able to comment in depth as much as that yet, but everything Boris has put I can relate to and agree with.

I think the main things you've got to remember in a nutshell are to keep an eye on stack sizes at all times, work out how many BB's you have in relation to blinds and also to keep an eye on the pot level pre flop. Once ante's start to come into play you have an excellent chance of taking say a 1k pot just by shoving and adding to your 8-10BB stack, which will help a lot.

Always think one step ahead of your opponent. If you raise, will you call if they shove or are check raising?

There's a bit which I find contradicting, but Boris might explain. Theres the theory that you raise a standard 3x so you don't give away the strength of your hand, but then the flipside is that people raise more UTG as there is more people to go through, where as in the blinds you raise 2.5x. Which can be misconstrued as different bet sizes to strength of hand? I prefer to always make a standard raise anywhere between 2.5-2.9x as the raise is still showing strength, but if you get called, miss the flop and end up folding, you've used slightly less chips as you would have done if you'd have raised 3x. Similar to the small-ball kind of play Negreanu uses I think.
    Obviously every hand is different so this isn't gospel for me haha. 

Overall I think your play is getting better the more hands you've shown us, and obviously you'll learn from the mistakes you've made on the winning and losing hands. 
    So good luck and I hope to see you at the tables or at an SPT :).
  • edited March 2012
    It took me an hour-and-a-half to write all that and now you're giving some bloke called Boris all the credit! I'm not even a tory... ;)

You've hit upon one of the big pitfalls of varying your raise size with position: Your opponents can misread it as being due to the strength of your hand. This can make it impossible to make reliable decisions through the streets since your perception of their reasoning has been off from the very start of the hand...

The second major pitfall behind making bigger raises from early positions is that it inevitably means that when you play through later streets, you'll be playing big pots when you're in a poor position and smaller pots when you're in good position. That's absolutely the opposite to how we should be playing. It's much easier to play this game when we can see what our opponent does before we act.

The idea of varying your raise size for position is a pretty common mistake that beginners make. It doesn't help that some more-experienced, but poor players also advocate it. Basically you're right to think that you should make the same raise regardless of your position. The thing that should change with position is the strength of the hands you play. For example:

JT on the button is a good hand to open the betting with. JT under the gun is a hand we should almost always be folding. (At a full-ring table - 9 or 10 handed - assuming we're playing a standard tight-aggressive range)
  • edited March 2012
    It took me an hour-and-a-half to write all that and now you're giving some bloke called Boris all the credit! I'm not even a tory... ;) You've hit upon one of the big pitfalls of varying your raise size with position: Your opponents can misread it as being due to the strength of your hand. This can make it impossible to make reliable decisions through the streets since your perception of their reasoning has been off from the very start of the hand... The second major pitfall behind making bigger raises from early positions is that it inevitably means that when you play through later streets, you'll be playing big pots when you're in a poor position and smaller pots when you're in good position. That's absolutely the opposite to how we should be playing. It's much easier to play this game when we can see what our opponent does before we act. The idea of varying your raise size for position is a pretty common mistake that beginners make. It doesn't help that some more-experienced, but poor players also advocate it. Basically you're right to think that you should make the same raise regardless of your position. The thing that should change with position is the strength of the hands you play. For example: JT on the b!utton is a good hand to open the betting with. JT under the gun is a hand we should almost always be folding. (At a full-ring table - 9 or 10 handed - assuming we're playing a standard tight-aggressive range)
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Sorry fella like i say i appreciate everyones feed back and thanks for taking the time to reply :)
    Ive listened to everyones advide and tried to use it in my games but im still losing badly lol
    I probably sound like a moaning basterd (which i am haha) i know everyone loses and has bad streaks but mine at the moment is sick!! I dont think im doing much wrong tho? that might be the problem? im a begginer so im sticking mainly to the good hands (unless im bb, which i'll fold if raised and i have nothing) im folding 90% of the time i dont hit the flop! im getting hands like AA vs 99 rainbow flop of 249 being put all in and seeing they have a set of 9's! Had the dreaded AK in the bb which was 8p, got raised to 20p and i raised him all in which was £2 and he called with 33! obviously i didnt hit a A or K!

I just feel whatever advice you all give me and i try to use i just keep coming up against players who like the gambling side of the game to much and will call your raise with any 2 cards! had A7 in the bb which i checked, flop come 723 raised all in which he called Q5, come on the turn haha asked him what he was doing and he said you never know whats coming do you!? how can you play that??

Think because im playing begginer level size tournaments & cash games im playing theses kind of players but i cant step up to higher standard level because i'll get ownd! its catch 22 for me at the moment
  • edited March 2012
    thats a Queen come on the turn haha
  • edited March 2012
    Read "Harrington on Hold 'em" volumes 1 and 2, then start playing nine or ten-handed sit and gos for between £3 and £5 a time.

You need to play hundreds of these, or thousands of cash hands, to establish whether you're a long-term winning or losing player though. Getting hung up on individual hands is going to make you feel like you can't win. Forget the few and look at the many.

Harrington will give you a sound grounding to build your game on. We all begin somewhere and these books are a great place to start.
  • edited March 2012
    Read "Harrington on Hold 'em" volumes 1 and 2, then start playing nine or ten-handed sit and gos for between £3 and £5 a time. You need to play hundreds of these, or thousands of cash hands, to establish whether you're a long-term winning or losing player though. Getting hung up on individual hands is going to make you feel like you can't win. Forget the few and look at the many. Harrington will give you a sound grounding to build your game on. We all begin somewhere and these books are a great place to start.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Again thanks for the advice, i'll check out Harrington and keep playing on! more you play the more you learn
  • edited March 2012
    Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance CrazyLew Small blind   75.00 75.00 1240.00 ClintonH83 Big blind   150.00 225.00 1240.00   Your hole cards 9 7       waterbutt Fold         198400 Fold         Sabooo Fold         CrazyLew Raise   225.00 450.00 1015.00 ClintonH83 Call   150.00 600.00 1090.00 Flop     10 J 8       CrazyLew Bet   150.00 750.00 865.00 ClintonH83 Raise   1050.00 1800.00 40.00 CrazyLew All-in   865.00 2665.00 0.00 ClintonH83 Unmatched bet   35.00 2630.00 75.00 CrazyLew Show J A       ClintonH83 Show 9 7       Turn     8       River     8       CrazyLew Win Full House, 8s and Jacks 2630.00   2630.00
    Posted by ClintonH83
    HI Clinton

IMO why call with 97o but after that its just unlucky. Probably fold BB was the play for me but once in i'd have done the same mate. Cheers
  • edited March 2012
    Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance ClintonH83 Small blind   50.00 50.00 3791.00 moneyme Big blind   100.00 150.00 9448.00   Your hole cards K A       slowhors05 Raise   200.00 350.00 2670.00 lgd Fold         NoEa5yCa5h Call   200.00 550.00 1706.00 0805 Raise   500.00 1050.00 5090.00 ClintonH83 All-in   3791.00 4841.00 0.00 moneyme Fold         slowhors05 Fold         NoEa5yCa5h Fold         0805 Call   3341.00 8182.00 1749.00 ClintonH83 Show K A       0805 Show J J       Flop     7 2 3       Turn     8       River     Q       0805 Win Pair of Jacks 8182.00   9931.00
    Posted by ClintonH83
    Hi
     IMO..no needfoe all=in bet why not reraise and see what comes from him or Turn. Seems a lot to bet when he may have set or flush draw. Cheers
  • edited March 2012
    Just had a quick read through this thread, and the 2 things which stood out for me were:

1) Limping pre-flop. It's actually very, very rare that you should be limping in pre-flop, if ever. As BorinLoner said, limping only gives you one way to win the pot - by having the best hand. However, raising gives you 2 ways of winning the pot - By having the best hand, and by making everyone else fold.

Tbh, I've probably open folded AA more times than I've limped into a pot on Sky Poker.

2) Short stack play. This is massively important - You need to know what size stack means your only moves are all in or fold. As a general rule, when you have 10 big blinds or less (on Sky - If there's antes, this goes up slightly but there's no antes on Sky yet), the only 2 buttons that you have in front of you are "All in" or "Fold". Forget the call button, and no min raising, just put the lot in or throw your hand away. Doing anything else when you have a short stack is just bad play.

10 Big Blinds is only a rough guideline, it's a good place to start though. There are a lot of other factors which should influence your decision whether to shove or fold (For example, Satellites and DYM's you might allow yourself to get blinded down to less big blinds as the prize for 1st and the lowest placed cash are the same).

PS: BorinLoner has hit the nail on the head in pretty much every post on here - +1.
  • edited March 2012
    Just had a quick read through this thread, and the 2 things which stood out for me were: 1) Limping pre-flop. It's actually very, very rare that you should be limping in pre-flop, if ever. As BorinLoner said, limping only gives you one way to win the pot - by having the best hand. However, raising gives you 2 ways of winning the pot - By having the best hand, and by making everyone else fold. Tbh, I've probably open folded AA more times than I've limped into a pot on Sky Poker. 2) Short stack play. This is massively important - You need to know what size stack means your only moves are all in or fold. As a general rule, when you have 10 big blinds or less (on Sky - If there's antes, this goes up slightly but there's no antes on Sky yet), the only 2 buttons that you have in front of you are "All in" or "Fold". Forget the call button, and no min raising, just put the lot in or throw your hand away. Doing anything else when you have a short stack is just bad play. 10 Big Blinds is only a rough guideline, it's a good place to start though. There are a lot of other factors which should influence your decision whether to shove or fold (For example, Satellites and DYM's you might allow yourself to get blinded down to less big blinds as the prize for 1st and the lowest placed cash are the same). PS: BorinLoner has hit the nail on the head in pretty much every post on here - +1.
    Posted by EvilPingu
    Mr EvilPingu, ive seen you quite alot on the Sky Poker channel so its a pleasure to have a post from you :)
    I'll be honest i do tend to limp alot unless i have 2 picture cards or a pocket pair. if i have a hand thats suited that i like, like J9, in position i couldnt seem to make myself raise it and id tend to just call the blind which i know is wrong and ive been working on that and it seems to be paying off :)

The 10 bb when short stacked, obviously i'll push with any pair or 2 picture cards but what do i do if i dont get any? Just push with any 2 cards?
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: this happens alot and is so annoying... : HI Clinton    IMO why call with 97o but after that its just unlucky. Probably fold BB was the play for me but once in i'd have done the same mate. Cheers
    Posted by profman15
    i didnt really wanna play the 9 7 but i seen he had a short stack like me but i was to scared to push with 9 7 so being the bb and it only being raised the blind i thought i'll see if i get lucky on the flop? if not fold! probably the wrong way to play it but hey im learning haha
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: this happens alot and is so annoying... : Hi  IMO..no needfoe all=in bet why not reraise and see what comes from him or Turn. Seems a lot to bet when he may have set or flush draw. Cheers
    Posted by profman15
    This hand it had been raised to 200, then re raised to 500 so thought if im going to play it might as well be an all in? if they have AQ AJ they fold, if the have a pocket pair below Kings they'll fold? obviously they didnt and i never hit but that what my thinking on the hand
  • edited March 2012
    why dont you tyr poker stars im told thay need players like you...gl.
  • edited March 2012
    Can't win em all, fred is looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong

Play good hands
    raise & raise more bigggggggggggggggggger

& win

do nothing else

ty
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: this happens alot and is so annoying... : Mr EvilPingu, ive seen you quite alot on the Sky Poker channel so its a pleasure to have a post from you :) I'll be honest i do tend to limp alot unless i have 2 picture cards or a pocket pair. if i have a hand thats suited that i like, like J9, in position i couldnt seem to make myself raise it and id tend to just call the blind which i know is wrong and ive been working on that and it seems to be paying off :) The 10 bb when short stacked, obviously i'll push with any pair or 2 picture cards but what do i do if i dont get any? Just push with any 2 cards?
    Posted by ClintonH83
    As you play more and learn more about the game, you'll find that it's better to be aggressive than to limp into pots. Watch one of the high stakes cash games running on here, £1.50/£3 or something like that, and tell me how many times you see someone limp into a pot.

Re: 10bb - Having a hand obviously helps, but you're looking for situations as well - For example, if it's folded around to you in the small blind, and you have 7 big blinds, then the right move will often be to go all in with any two cards, as your opponent needs a hand to call, if he doesn't, you add 1.5bb to your stack and even if he does have a hand, you're probably still going to have 30-35% equity anyway.

why dont you tyr poker stars im told thay need players like you...gl.
    Posted by wayne1958
    Bit harsh, and out of order TBH.
  • edited March 2012
    Sorry Borin! Haha I was tired!

One of my main pitfalls is being blinded out, even if I'm an early chip leader I can't seem to capitalise on it. :-/

ClintonH83 you do seem to be having a run of bad luck at the moment, but just remember that your always learning from it. Try to forget the negatives and even if you know you played the hand well but lost you can take comfort knowing it was just one of those things. (Remember if your 80%-20% pre flop their 2-8 is going to win 1/5th of the time)

People who have checked their big blind could have any 2 cards. Don't forget also that just because someone has raised it doesnt always mean they've caught the flop, there could be some scare cards out there that they try to represent. Try a play early on, if it doesn't work then remember it for next time. It could turn in your favour if you've got AA and flop quads ;-). It's usually wise not to slow play your monsters that often as well, which i've noticed you haven't, you've just had idiots calling with anything haha. 

Think about pot control too, if people are just flat calling your raises they could be trapping you and your just happily spewing your money into the pot.

Position is key, maybe try raising in the hijack early on with suited connectors occasionally and vary your range. 

Chances are if theres 4+ people in the pot they could all have each others Aces, Kings, Queens etc so 45c could work in your favour.

Lots to think about, and BorinLoner and EvilPingu if you want to give some comments on my advice it would be greatly appreciated as I am still learning myself!
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: this happens alot and is so annoying... : As you play more and learn more about the game, you'll find that it's better to be aggressive than to limp into pots. Watch one of the high stakes cash games running on here, £1.50/£3 or something like that, and tell me how many times you see someone limp into a pot. Re: 10bb - Having a hand obviously helps, but you're looking for situations as well - For example, if it's folded around to you in the small blind, and you have 7 big blinds, then the right move will often be to go all in with any two cards, as your opponent needs a hand to call, if he doesn't, you add 1.5bb to your stack and even if he does have a hand, you're probably still going to have 30-35% equity anyway. In Response to Re: this happens alot and is so annoying... : Bit harsh, and out of order TBH.
    Posted by EvilPingu

Thanks for the advice :) started being more agressive with good hands and in position and it working well, even just a min raise is getting people to fold. taking notice a lot more now of peoples stack sizes and pushing on them if there short stacked.

All about playing and learning isnt it and not dwelling on the bad beats which im understanding more now.

Again thanks for the advice :)

Ps. me and Wayne have had some banter the last week but i think he's taken it to heart...lol
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to this happens alot and is so annoying...:
    Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance SUPERK1NG Small blind   15.00 15.00 2760.00 ClintonH83 Big blind   30.00 45.00 1940.00   Your hole cards A K       walrusegg Call   30.00 75.00 1120.00 clenzac Call   30.00 105.00 1930.00 tillyseeed Fold         SUPERK1NG Call   15.00 120.00 2745.00 ClintonH83 Raise   180.00 300.00 1760.00 walrusegg Fold         clenzac Call   180.00 480.00 1750.00 SUPERK1NG Fold         Flop     8 2 5       ClintonH83 Bet   240.00 720.00 1520.00 clenzac All-in   1750.00 2470.00 0.00 ClintonH83 Call   1510.00 3980.00 10.00 ClintonH83 Show A K       clenzac Show J J       Turn     2       River     7       clenzac Win Two Pairs, Jacks and 2s 3980.00   3980.00
    Posted by ClintonH83
    Hi Clinton
    IMO.Yes a bit of a pain but you all-in his reraise at your own peril with Ace high, don't you. Did you really think you were ahead or just trying to push him off the pot? He could have had a small pair, couldn't he? Cheers
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to this happens alot and is so annoying... : Hi Clinton IMO.Yes a bit of a pain but you all-in his reraise at your own peril with Ace high, don't you. Did you really think you were ahead or just trying to push him off the pot? He could have had a small pair, couldn't he? Cheers
    Posted by profman15
    I just thought with 2 raises if im playing it the best thing to do is go all in? I honeslty thought when he called he must have AA or KK? didnt expect JJ

The original raiser folded and i still think JJ should of been folded so i think i played it right?