You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Liverpool through and through...

...but my word, this is a tough gig. We fell asleep AGAIN at QPR last night for about the 10th time this season and we're clearly lacking quality to finish in the top four. Other sides have overtaken us or stretched the gap and we're struggling to keep up.

So - and this is obviously a hypothetical - but if I were to renounce the liverbird shirt and support another team, which one should it be and why?

My local side are Welling United, who are also used to losing, so we'll give them a swerve.

Suggestions please!

Comments

• edited March 2012

man u coz they the bestest

• edited March 2012
    Rangers, they need all the support they can get! :P
  • edited March 2012
    Man United goes against my religion. ;) Even if I am renouncing Liverpool, I don't think I could ever follow United. Or Everton. 
  • edited March 2012

If I could chose I'd wanna be a Newcastle fan. Great stadium, great fans, tonnes of fat bald guys with no top on. Great location to go out drinking before/after the game. Not a bad team either nowardays! Quality. 

Polar opposite of Donny rovers. 

Poor fans, poor location, poor team, and tonnes of fat bald women. 

#Sux
  • edited March 2012
    I`ve heard that King Kenny can never own a dog cos he cant hold on to a lead!!!!!

Come and support Dirty Leeds yoooooonited!!!

Ps. Dont let that 7-3 loss put you off. lol
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Liverpool through and through...:
    I`ve heard that King Kenny can never own a dog cos he cant hold on to a lead!!!!! Come and support Dirty Leeds yoooooonited!!! Ps. Dont let that 7-3 loss put you off. lol
    Posted by davelufc
    +1
  • edited March 2012
  • edited March 2012
    Roy Hodgson don't look so bad now does he......??

And he only had peanuts to spend!!
  • edited March 2012
    ps will admit it, ma second team from 4 years old, always been LEEDS!!

David Harvey
    Gary Sprake, [wrigleys]
    Paul Reaney
    Paul Madeley
    David Yorath
    Jack Charlton
    Norman Hunter [Honary Member Hitsquad, signed at at football Dinner at Bicester Town, we both guests]
    Billy Bremner
    Johnny Giles
    Eddie Gray
    Frankie Gray
    Duncan Mckensie [mi fav]
    Peter Lorimer
    Mick Jones
    Alan Clarke [Fulham & Leeds]

prob missed a few

& Top manager The Don Revie!!

mate I just showed ma age!!
  • edited March 2012
    ps will admit it, ma second team from 4 years old, always been LEEDS!! David Harvey Gary Sprake, [wrigleys] Paul Reaney Paul Madeley David Yorath Jack Charlton Norman Hunter [Honary Member Hitsquad, signed at at football Dinner at Bicester Town, we both guests] Billy Bremner Johnny Giles Eddie Gray Frankie Gray Duncan Mckensie [mi fav] Peter Lorimer Mick Jones Alan Clarke [Fulham & Leeds] prob missed a few & Top manager The Don Revie!! mate I just showed ma age!!
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
    I remember his brother Terry lol.

Seriously though, thats a reet list of players from when we were good.

It`s good to see that a few of them are still involved, Eddie does matchday commentary on Yorkshire radio, Lorimer is a current director and Clarke & Reaney are regulars at Elland Road ( they sit in kop now and again )

It`s amazing how many people have Leeds as their 2nd team purely from the era you mentioned.

On the other side of the coin though, no-one likes us but we dont care!!!!!!!!
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Liverpool through and through... : I remember his brother Terry lol. Seriously though, thats a reet list of players from when we were good. It`s good to see that a few of them are still involved, Eddie does matchday commentary on Yorkshire radio, Lorimer is a current director and Clarke & Reaney are regulars at Elland Road ( they sit in kop now and again ) It`s amazing how many people have Leeds as their 2nd team purely from the era you mentioned. On the other side of the coin though, no-one likes us but we dont care!!!!!!!!
    Posted by davelufc
    Opps lol, had a few wines today!! guests round, course TERRY, DOHHHHH, & forgot Trevor Cherry & others....

ps. No-one likes ME , i dont care LOLOL!!
  • edited March 2012
    Liverpool 1 - 2 Wigan.

#weep.

In fact, I might have to start a Sky Poker first - a blog about something that isn't poker but has lots of bad beats in it. 

Give me a name and I will make this thing happen.
  • edited March 2012
    Liverpool 1 - 2 Wigan. #weep. In fact, I might have to start a Sky Poker first - a blog about something that isn't poker but has lots of bad beats in it.  Give me a name and I will make this thing happen.
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    Do ya think you will Stay up??
  • edited March 2012
    i watched it believe me they were awful
  • edited March 2012

'You will never cry alone'

Liverpool home win was my banker in the predictor League aswell FML :(

Crouchy aint a bad striker now he has left other 'bigger' clubs hey?
  • edited March 2012
    'You will never cry alone' Liverpool home win was my banker in the predictor League aswell FML :( Crouchy aint a bad striker now he has left other 'bigger' clubs hey?
    Posted by MAXALLY

Haha! I think the title has been set - nice :)

Crouchy is one of those players who needs a particular set up. Much like Andy Carroll, I fear. He's not a bad striker at all, and I have to say I liked him at Liverpool. He's proved both away from the club and for England that he's a goal scorer, even if he looks like a lame giraffe.
  • edited March 2012

Changing team allegiances is actually a tough thing to do TBH. I actually did it when I was younger, changing from Forest to Stoke! << Shocking, I know, but here were my reasons...

Forest were my 'home town', and as a kid you have just got to support your home town, unless you are a glory hunter (general rule in my book, anyway!).

I think I may of only been two games so I really could not class myself as a 'proper fan'. Having a signed photo of Cloughie though kept me supporting them, somehow!

After moving to Stoke with my Dad's job, my older brother started taking me along to watch the 'potters'. This is where I decided to change shirts and follow Stoke. Even though, at that time, Forest were loads better and in a higher League, I just thought it was the correct thing to do by supporting your local side.

As with any sane footy fan, I only hate Man UTD *steps back while the armchair fans hit back! * but I don't mind Liverpool so I hope they do manage to get back and compete at the top sooner than later.

I will just add this quick tale of a Liverpool player. Stoke played Liverpool away in cup match a few years back and we got absolutely hammered by them, and rightly so. I was lucky enough to get seats right at the front so saw this pacey winger just basically running our defenders inside and out! Steve McManaman was brilliant on this night, and seeing him up close, I really thought he would have a great and long career! A few years later, I am drinking and getting hammered myself with this same guy in a Bar in Falariki....lol. 
  • edited March 2012
    I don't think I would ever ACTUALLY switch teams to be honest, Alan. It's more a deep rooted desire to do so. I am definitely considering blogging them next season though, just so we can all have a good laugh at how tough this gig is!
  • edited March 2012
    i`ve been supporting LIVERPOOL for 31 yrs and this weekend it`s NEWCASTLE who my dad and two brothers support, it is also my brother b/day on april 1st ( the fool ).

i have brought him a prezzie, a SUNDERLAND b/day cake, ( i can be nice )
  • edited March 2012
    I support Spurs - since 1958 - but the video "Leeds 1965-1975" is one of the best. I was at YorkmUni and saw the Leeds-Man U 5-0 win and Eddie Gray's drag back on Sir Bobby. Eddie's goal against Burnley in 1970's was also mone of the best.
  • edited March 2012
    always supported rangers and i always will, even if we're Rangers United next season lol.

Having said that i dont think id ever change allegencies. All i knew when i was a lad growing up was Glasgow Rangers and how i wanted to be Ally McCoist lol. Still envy the guy now.

Dave i fully understand how much it must hurt watching a team as big as Liverpool struggling like they are. I always prefered Everton, (mainly because when i started watching English football Sir Walter was the manager) but i have always respected the football liverpool played. Seems like theyve lost it.
  • edited April 2012
    It's amazing to think that many writers and pundits think that, if Liverpool hadn't won the Carling Cup, we'd be a team in turmoil. The simple fact is we ARE in turmoil and the players are not responding to Dalglish in the way you think they would. Yes, he's a Liverpool icon, but perhaps he's not resonating with the younger breed of players in the way Carra, Gerrard or those more established at the club would. 

It's painful to watch someone like Downing plodding around for all his worth. This season he's managed two decent crosses. As a result, Carroll can't play to his strengths, namely getting his head on the end of something. He's actually been decent recently - was as slow as a lump of wood at the start but looks like he's more up for it now.

Either way, we're pony. Arrrrgh!
  • edited April 2012

Lots of things have helped liverpool gain mid table respectability imho :) the suarez affair hasn,t helped and how KK dealt with it,i think he lost a lot of respect during that episode may some of the players lost some respect,i dunno
    Having a 35 million pound millstone round your neck doesn,t help either the pressure must be immense,your defense looks dodgy too

• edited April 2012
    Lots of things have helped liverpool gain mid table respectability imho :) the suarez affair hasn,t helped and how KK dealt with it,i think he lost a lot of respect during that episode may some of the players lost some respect,i dunno Having a 35 million pound millstone round your neck doesn,t help either the pressure must be immense,your defense looks dodgy too
    Posted by stokefc
    Suarez is incredibly talented but will lose the support of the fans if he keeps whining and moaning everytime someone tries tackling him.

Andy Carroll isn't a millstone. He's underperformed for sure but I do believe he's improving and will continue to do so next season. It doesn't help that we play with no width and so can't provide him with the service he needs.

Kenny is a Liverpool legend but my main worry with him is the fact he seems to be trying to invoke a siege mentality to the place. We don't need that - the club has its own character and he of all people knows that. Why he's trying to turn us into some kind of Mourinho Chelsea is bizarre.

I actually think our defence is fine. Skrtel has been our best player this year and Agger is a quality player. I am not too fond of Johnson, but I do think Enrique was a good purchase. 

Still think being a Liverpool fan is a naff gig though....
  • edited April 2012
    Suarez is talented but flawed, caused a lot of disruption and tainted the reputation of a world famous club.
    Kenny didn't do himself any favours throughout that whole saga and he still isn't with a lot of his comments (Carroll dive at the weekend?). He's also not an out and out goal scorer like your Owen or Fowler was.

I think Newcastle laughed all the way to the bank when Liverpool gave up £35mill for him. One of the most bizarre transfers i've seen. I think he's been built up to be a player that he isn't and never was. He was good at Newcastle but not that good.

Liverpool should have built around the likes of Alonso, Mascherano etc.. but that didn't happen. Now they just have too many ordinary players in my opinion, and fork out for players that really aren't worth it. Downing?

Now they're just one of the most inconsistent clubs around.

Being a United fan though, that doesn't really bother me :-)

• edited May 2012

*BUMP*

#timeforchange
  • edited May 2012
    It has been reported that referees have been instructed to book anyone who passes the ball to Andy Carroll, for time wasting!!
  • edited May 2012
    Suarez is talented but flawed, caused a lot of disruption and tainted the reputation of a world famous club. Kenny didn't do himself any favours throughout that whole saga and he still isn't with a lot of his comments (Carroll dive at the weekend?). He's also not an out and out goal scorer like your Owen or Fowler was. I think Newcastle laughed all the way to the bank when Liverpool gave up £35mill for him. One of the most bizarre transfers i've seen. I think he's been built up to be a player that he isn't and never was. He was good at Newcastle but not that good. Liverpool should have built around the likes of Alonso, Mascherano etc.. but that didn't happen. Now they just have too many ordinary players in my opinion, and fork out for players that really aren't worth it. Downing? Now they're just one of the most inconsistent clubs around. Being a United fan though, that doesn't really bother me :-)
    Posted by Sky_Lee
    I think this is a good post

Building around the players you mentioned was always going to be impossible when Real and Barca started snooping around. I dont care what anyone says English football at the present isnt close to Spannish and i believe European results prove that.

However that doest mean English isnt the next benchmark, Its currently above itallian/french/german etc. And with the money in the English game things can be done.

If i was manager of Liverpool, id be looking to bring that midfielder i from Athletic Bilbao. 23 years old and emmense talent, Javi Martinez. Perfect replacement for Alonso.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Liverpool through and through... : I think this is a good post Building around the players you mentioned was always going to be impossible when Real and Barca started snooping around. I dont care what anyone says English football at the present isnt close to Spannish and i believe European results prove that. However that doest mean English isnt the next benchmark, Its currently above itallian/french/german etc. And with the money in the English game things can be done. If i was manager of Liverpool, id be looking to bring that midfielder i from Athletic Bilbao. 23 years old and emmense talent, Javi Martinez. Perfect replacement for Alonso.
    Posted by The_Don90
    Chelsea, case closed,and they arn,t even top 4,theres only two teams in La Liga,dont get me wrong two fantastic teams on their day which is most days cuz La Liga is so weak,at least there is abit of competition in the prem(not from us like)but other teams..even Liverpool :)
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Liverpool through and through... : Chelsea, case closed,and they arn,t even top 4,theres only two teams in La Liga,dont get me wrong two fantastic teams on their day which is most days cuz La Liga is so weak,at least there is abit of competition in the prem(not from us like)but other teams..even Liverpool :)
    Posted by stokefc
    European football has been dominated by Spannish clubs for 4 or 5 years now. The Europa league final is all spannish. Real and Barca are on a different planet, dont even use a chelsea arguement on me, its variance. La Liga is far stronger than youve just gave it credit for, Valencia had a champions league final just 10 years ago, The Europa league final being all Spannish  also should tell you this isnt a weak league at all.

The premiership has a gulp in class between its top and bottom clubs aswell. Liverpool are a midtable team but would any of their current players get into the city/united first team?? Ill tell u the one differance between English football and World football. TV money being stupid and rich daft owners who dont even give a monkey about the clubs. Remember who started the Sugar Daddy situation and look where they are now. English football youve been warned.