You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Big fold - thoughts?

2»

Comments

• edited March 2012
    You were unlucky to be up against someone who would fold a set.

Surprised you didnt put him on K's and fold your set of 6's though...............

(See what I did there.............)
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Big fold - thoughts?:
    Know what your saying borin, however i was worried he was on fd, hed played it very strong on flop and turn i honestly didnt think he was folding there. I would rather shove turn and take it down there than flat and see a awful river and have a tough decision on turn. As played i shouldnt of lost value he should of called! :P
    Posted by Wacko90
    I would suppose it depends whether you think he's going to barrell a missed flush-draw on the river. If he isn't, then you have nothing to lose from getting it in now. If he is, well he only hits that flush 1/5 times, so you can just call for value...

You can't expect that he'll fold the under-set, of course. It's just hard-luck that the guy has such a soul-read on you/is such a rock.
  • edited March 2012
    Don't think you should post that you fold this spot, taking this line

flat your flop raise then crai turn and you fold sets

seriously!

think wacko played it fine
  • edited April 2012
    Know what your saying borin, however i was worried he was on fd, hed played it very strong on flop and turn i honestly didnt think he was folding there. I would rather shove turn and take it down there than flat and see a awful river and have a tough decision on turn. As played i shouldnt of lost value he should of called! :P
    Posted by Wacko90

shouldn't of called* :))

I know folding sets is pretty bad, but as i said in one of the opening couple of posts i think, i would never normally be a fold for me but just couldnt put you on anything else at all with the way it played out. so for all you set folding haters who posted, avee itt!!! lool
  • edited April 2012
    You were unlucky to be up against someone who would fold a set. Surprised you didnt put him on K's and fold your set of 6's though............... (See what I did there.............)
    Posted by AMYBR

fancy taking another pop at me, anything you like, free shot? jeeez

all up for some banter but when i dont know you and never played you, seems a bit harsh!
  • edited April 2012
    Don't think you should post that you fold this spot, taking this line flat your flop raise then crai turn and you fold sets seriously! think wacko played it fine
    Posted by rancid
    dont mind putting this up here at all. surely any image i give myself whether it be tighter than tight or loose as a  goose, can only be a good thing?

ye ofc wacko did nothing wrong though.
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: Big fold - thoughts? : shouldn't of called* :)) I know folding sets is pretty bad, but as i said in one of the opening couple of posts i think, i would never normally be a fold for me but just couldnt put you on anything else at all with the way it played out. so for all you set folding haters who posted, avee itt!!! lool
    Posted by jh16
    Well over time you will lose money by making this fold, there are a few hands im turning over there! However, in this spot, fantastic fold, you had your read and it was right. Well done :)
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: Big fold - thoughts? : fancy taking another pop at me, anything you like, free shot? jeeez all up for some banter but when i dont know you and never played you, seems a bit harsh!
    Posted by jh16
    Please insert sense of humour here................

Wasnt taking a pop at you at all bud, was just abit of a humorous poke, mainly @ Wacko.

Dont get me wrong, it would be easy to say inspired fold.  But over volume we are just losing so much value.

We all want to be heroes like Roberto Romanello :p - but folding sets on unco ordinated boards is just simply setting fire to money.
  • edited April 2012
    dont see why people are saying its a bad fold long term, what other hand can wacko realistically have?
  • edited April 2012
    dont see why people are saying its a bad fold long term, what other hand can wacko realistically have?
    Posted by LOL_RAISE

Cmon your not folding this are you )

But yeah what hands could wacko have :s Probs only K8 - emmm never AK, funky 2 prs 68hh

so

two prs & sets

think we flipping a coin on this one

bad 22,66 - rule out 22

good K8,68

But he did call from the sb so......kinda rules out any 2 pr hands - only 68hh at a push - but don't think he would call in the sb with this junk )

Looking at pre and on the flop - can only be a set - REALLY GOOD FOLD )
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: Big fold - thoughts? : Please insert sense of humour here................ Wasnt taking a pop at you at all bud, was just abit of a humorous poke, mainly @ Wacko. Dont get me wrong, it would be easy to say inspired fold.  But over volume we are just losing so much value. We all want to be heroes like Roberto Romanello :p - but folding sets on unco ordinated boards is just simply setting fire to money.
    Posted by AMYBR
    Surprised you of all people are so anti the fold here. Also the fact the board is uncoordinated is bad for us as it weights villains range more towards made hands

I would call here, but I think its going to be only marginally profitable at best v a good reg. Only hand I really expect him to show is 66 here. Sometimes he might show 86hh(likely 3bets flop imo, might fold pre), maybe K8s(not always in his range). Doubt he ever has any other 2pr hand,KK or AK and doubt he crai turn all in with KQ or worse. You might just see air, but he wont call flop to bluff turn too often oop with a 3rd player in hand
  • edited April 2012
    A) Dont know wacko's table image

B) am a full subscriber to Ivey's line on set over set scenario.

IMO if we arent going broke in set over set pots 100bs deep we are doing something wrong.

If I knew oppo well, I likely wouldnt like AS much.

But I'll never agree hero folding here is right. £16/£36 set over set? W/e just call now

So we vb set to fold here?

Sure overset is in his range but so is plenty else Kxh 2pr hands, protecting semi strong hand vs draw.

Wonder how the line divides when Wacko doesnt post flip of coin..........................

• edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: Big fold - thoughts? : Surprised you of all people are so anti the fold here. Also the fact the board is uncoordinated is bad for us as it weights villains range more towards made hands I would call here, but I think its going to be only marginally profitable at best v a good reg. Only hand I really expect him to show is 66 here. Sometimes he might show 86hh(likely 3bets flop imo, might fold pre), maybe K8s(not always in his range). Doubt he ever has any other 2pr hand,KK or AK and doubt he crai turn all in with KQ or worse. You might just see air, but he wont call flop to bluff turn too often oop with a 3rd player in hand
    Posted by grantorino
    Well he flatted a pre raise in the sb, then flats raise on flop - then blows turn
    The only other hand that makes sense is 68hh, given pre and flop

The guy has made a great read and fold - think he deserves a lot of credit for making this fold within the 15 sec in game ) I know a lot of players would stack
  • edited April 2012
    A) Dont know wacko's table image B) am a full subscriber to Ivey's line on set over set scenario. IMO if we arent going broke in set over set pots 100bs deep we are doing something wrong. If I knew oppo well, I likely wouldnt like AS much. But I'll never agree hero folding here is right. £16/£36 set over set? W/e just call now So we vb set to fold here? Sure overset is in his range but so is plenty else Kxh 2pr hands, protecting semi strong hand vs draw. Wonder how the line divides when Wacko doesnt post flip of coin..........................
    Posted by AMYBR
    My initial thoughts were, never fold a set - standard
    But when you break the hand down - can only be a set - unless you know oppo calls in the sb with a 68hh kinda hand

Just read back through the post and GT soul reads for the win )
    Wonder if you fold this in game GT )

• edited April 2012
    A) Dont know wacko's table image B) am a full subscriber to Ivey's line on set over set scenario. IMO if we arent going broke in set over set pots 100bs deep we are doing something wrong. If I knew oppo well, I likely wouldnt like AS much. But I'll never agree hero folding here is right. £16/£36 set over set? W/e just call now So we vb set to fold here? Sure overset is in his range but so is plenty else Kxh 2pr hands, protecting semi strong hand vs draw. Wonder how the line divides when Wacko doesnt post flip of coin..........................
    Posted by AMYBR
    Wacko isn't a nit, if you're happy getting it in readless (which you are, and I am), having history/notes on wacko would make it even more of a call.

Alot of players at these stakes it would be a different story though.

• edited April 2012
    For once I agree with what you said earlier in thread.  Set over set 100bs deep, w/e

Think hand range is screwed down far too tight + look at pot size/stack £16 into £37.  Its just never a fold.

There are warnings signs obv, but we are taking out all spew and rep factor.

We are getting better than 2/1 on our money with 4th nuts vs someone with a semi loose image.  We are basically saying he is unable to play Kx hands badly, take odd lines with flush draws or unable to turn pr + draw into ai bluff.  We are going to nail on one of the three hands that beat us?  (kind of only one though really as KK/88 dont make a great deal of sense).

So getting better than 2/1 on our money with 4th nuts we are going to bet fold 25% of our stack to someone with laggy rep (Heck anybody)?  Really?
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: Big fold - thoughts? : Wacko isn't a nit, if you're happy getting it in readless (which you are, and I am), having history/notes on wacko would make it even more of a call. Alot of players at these stakes it would be a different story though.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Readless we all stack )
    Maybe I should change my notes, because never would think wacko would flat in the sb with hands that play out accordingly

• edited April 2012

First of all I call in game and still call now after this thread.

I think there are spots, albeit very rare ones, to fold sets 100BB deep. Never on the flop, sometimes after that with good reads. If wacko plays like phil ivey its superfistpumpsnapcall with a set. Most 20NL players dont.

I would much rather call an unknown here than wacko. I know very little about him, but the fact he is not a nit doesnt make it better to snap him off than an unknown. Obv if we know he is capable of bluffing its a reason to call, but good players are also much less likely to overvalue hands than unknowns. If there is aggro history between hero and villain that makes it a snap. Im making assumptions with what follows, but its what I would assume about most capable players.

Lets look at wackos likely range for cold calling a flop raise:

sets:66. 22 is impossible and he'll 3bet KK close to 100% pre

2pair: Unlikely on this board imo. Never 62, even if we give him K6s,K2s thats 3 combos, really doubt he always has them in his range pre though

1 pair: KJ,KQ would seem realistic to me. I think he always 3bets AK pre

Other hands: 2 hearts

Then turn comes an 8 and he crai giving decent odds on a call. What part of the range above crai. Its pretty unlikely KQ or KJ do. Maybe the 2pair hands but these arent definitely in his range. 2 hearts sometimes, but I think if they flat flop they wont raise here that often, maybe 57hh,97hh. 86hh could, but i think that gets 3betted on the flop sometimes

Now I havent put in any pure bluffs into that range. Will he turn up with air? Questionable imo, floating flop oop with a player left to act with intention of bluffraising a blank turn doesnt happen too much in my limited experience. Can he decide to turn other hands into a bluff. Possibly

I think its a call given the decent odds and as amybr said people sometimes spew etc. But dont be surprised when he flips over 66, its the most likely outcome

• edited April 2012
    GOD I want to argue with elements of this soooooooooooooo badly lol.

But because of the first line of the post it would be a total nitpick :p
  • edited April 2012
    I think with the image i portray at the table this is a call. geberally fairly aggro, like my raises and 3 bets and 3 barrell bluffs :P i 3 bet with air every time. I never go all in unless its a bluff. I min raise when i have the nutz :)
  • edited April 2012
    I think with the image i portray at the table this is a call. geberally fairly aggro, like my raises and 3 bets and 3 barrell bluffs :P i 3 bet with air every time. I never go all in unless its a bluff. I min raise when i have the nutz :)
    Posted by Wacko90
    the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!
  • edited April 2012
    saying fold prob looks super results orientated and if prob snap it off ingame but this is what i think when looking at it:
    id call vs unknown here super fast, but ive played with wacko a little and while he def. isnt a nit and is aggressive i dont think he is

a)defending k8s/68s oop so he can have no two pair combos (think 68hh is 3bet/calling flop anyway if he does. ?)
    b) c/jamming turn with anything worse for value
    c) c/jamming turn with Kx for protection

also the fact that we are IP means that we can be checking back our draws on the turn atleast some % of the time, which weights our range alot more in favour of made value hands, so our turn betting range is alot stronger than our flop raising range which means jamming turn as a bluff is probably massively -ev