You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Best poker set up i can use?

Well cin as my laptop has died! probly as running 2 tables killed it im looking at getting a pc instead or maybe another laptop with a monitor as i wanna be able to attempt to play 6 tables? , and i dont wanna have to mini view as that is to tilting hence why i only play 2

Can anyone advise me of the best options for this or maybe give me a link help much appreciated thankyou

Comments

• edited April 2012
    My advice is get used to mini view. I hated it to begin with too, but you get used to it.
  • edited April 2012

Was hoping someone wouldnt say that lol , you got any ideas what is the best i can use say 22 inch monitor what lappy would go best with that i really struggle with mini view but i stil need somehting that can run 6 tables and not freeze on me every 2min lol

• edited April 2012

Thx for your input and time mate means alot yea i guess im gunna have to get used to mini view then lol , yea its a lappy with a monitor i rather than a pc , if it memory that makes it run faster or basically just the connection? and thx for that ill give it a check out now

• edited April 2012
    hi mate,
    if u r looking to play 6 tables
    i think u would have to play them in mini-view
    with just 1 monitor,as i believe 2 tables is all that u will fit on screen full size.
    playing in mini-view shouldn,t really tilt you,
    think u just have to get used to it.
    as for laptop,s i can,t help u there.
    if u r looking to play up to 6 tables only,
    almost any new pc should be ok.
    if u r thinking of playing more tables
    get the best u can afford.
    i have recently bought a new pc myself
    and have been playing 12/13 tables.
    if u go to page 23 here on general poker chat,
    find "trying 2 cash @ nl4
    then click on last page at the top,
    all my pc details are there,
    which may be some use to you.
    i was told by Machka

who plays here on sky
    that i should buy a dedicated graphics card as an extra
    as this helps it run faster.
    ask as many questions here as i,m sure someone will be able to answer them.
    best of luck,
    devon
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: Best poker set up i can use?:
    Thx for your input and time mate means alot yea i guess im gunna have to get used to mini view then lol , yea its a lappy with a monitor i rather than a pc , if it memory that makes it run faster or basically just the connection? and thx for that ill give it a check out now
    Posted by kidwizzz78
    Do you have a price range in mind?  I have just recommended and ordered my sister, amongst others, a new PC.

For £500 you can get a very good PC with a 21.5" widescreen monitor.
  • edited April 2012

Anything up to £800 if i had to? but i really prefer a laptop with a monitor rather than a pc as i cant stand to sit on one place very figity lol

• edited April 2012
    This company is well worth a look. very reputable.

http://www.cclonline.com/
  • edited April 2012
    I'm not great laptop expert but any i5 based one would do the job for you.  Even an i3 based should be fine but for the price of an i5 there's no reason not to get one.

This isn't a recommendation, I just did a quick search and a decent spec Lenovo (IBM) laptop is about £400 and then a nice 22" monitor is £100 or less if you look around.
  • edited April 2012
    yea that is a nice one aswell as the monitor and cheap prices aswell!
    thx for your input guys really appreciate it
  • edited April 2012
    Not sure why you would want to purchase a laptop and a monitor tbh as you're still going to be tied down to sitting in one place.

I'd always recommend getting a PC over a laptop unless you need mobility as you get alot more for your money.

If you do need a laptop then follow Machka's advice. Get at least an i5 made by either Lenovo or Toshiba.

• edited April 2012
    The PC I'm currently recommending for friends, and bought for my sister is this:

http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Neptune.html
  • edited April 2012
    Machka, hope you don't mins me asking :), iyo would you say this laptop is the cause of me not being able to play more that 7 tables? (6/7 perfectly fine but 8 unplayable due to lag. Even playing 3 tables, a lot of the time, by the time the table has loaded it's timed me out and someone else is sat there).

Do I really need to get a better laptop? Looking at Ebay I'd get about £300 for this one so could put another £200 or so towards another, probably more if I had to).

(I only get about 1.8MB speed on the net which is obviously poo - I presume this could be the (only?) cause too?)

I don't want to go through the myther of trying to sell this one and buying another if the internet speed/anything else is to blame though. 2MB is the max I can get through the phone line and Virgin not around here.

Acer Aspire 8930G
    Review Date11 May 2009
    Rating 
    ProcessorIntel Core 2 Quad Q9000
    Processor clock speed2GHz
    Memory4.00GB
    Memory slots2
    Memory slots free0
    Maximum memory4GB
    Size48x444x295
    Weight4.0kg
    SoundRealtek High Definition Audio
    Pointing devicetouchpad
    Power consumption standby1W
    Power consumption idle40W
    Power consumption active76W

Display

Viewable size18.4 in
    Native resolution1,920x1,080
    Graphics ProcessorNvidia GeForce 9600M GT
    Graphics/video portsVGA, DisplayPort, HDMI
    Graphics Memory1,024MB

Storage

Total storage capacity500GB
    Optical drive modelPioneer BDRTD01RS
    Optical drive typeDVD+/-RW +/-DL, BD-R/RE

Ports and Expansion

USB ports4
    Bluetooth 
    Wired network ports1x 10/100/1000
    Wireless networking support802.11a/n
    PC Card slots1x ExpressCard/54
    Modem 
    Supported memory cardsSDHC, MMC, Memory Stick Pro/Duo, xD
    Other ports1x eSATA, 1x minijack S/PDIF output, mini RF

Miscellaneous

Carrying case 
    Operating systemWindows Vista Home Premium (Changed this to Windows 7)
    Operating system restore optionrestore partition
    Software includedNTI Media Maker, Microsoft Works 8.5, Acer Arcade Deluxe
    Optional extrasnone

Buying Information

Warrantyone year collect and return
    Price£1,250
  • edited April 2012
    Machka, hope you don't mins me asking :), iyo would you say this laptop is the cause of me not being able to play more that 7 tables? (6/7 perfectly fine but 8 unplayable due to lag. Even playing 3 tables, a lot of the time, by the time the table has loaded it's timed me out and someone else is sat there). Do I really need to get a better laptop? Looking at Ebay I'd get about £300 for this one so could put another £200 or so towards another, probably more if I had to). (I only get about 1.8MB speed on the net which is obviously poo - I presume this could be the (only?) cause too?) I don't want to go through the myther of trying to sell this one and buying another if the internet speed/anything else is to blame though. 2MB is the max I can get through the phone line and Virgin not around here. Acer Aspire 8930G Review Date 11 May 2009 Rating   Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000 Processor clock speed 2GHz Memory 4.00GB Memory slots 2 Memory slots free 0 Maximum memory 4GB Size 48x444x295 Weight 4.0kg Sound Realtek High Definition Audio Pointing device touchpad Power consumption standby 1W Power consumption idle 40W Power consumption active 76W Display Viewable size 18.4 in Native resolution 1,920x1,080 Graphics Processor Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT Graphics/video ports VGA, DisplayPort, HDMI Graphics Memory 1,024MB Storage Total storage capacity 500GB Optical drive model Pioneer BDRTD01RS Optical drive type DVD+/-RW +/-DL, BD-R/RE Ports and Expansion USB ports 4 Bluetooth   Wired network ports 1x 10/100/1000 Wireless networking support 802.11a/n PC Card slots 1x ExpressCard/54 Modem   Supported memory cards SDHC, MMC, Memory Stick Pro/Duo, xD Other ports 1x eSATA, 1x minijack S/PDIF output, mini RF Miscellaneous Carrying case   Operating system Windows Vista Home Premium (Changed this to Windows 7) Operating system restore option restore partition Software included NTI Media Maker, Microsoft Works 8.5, Acer Arcade Deluxe Optional extras none Buying Information Warranty one year collect and return Price £1,250
    Posted by Die_hard
    Sounds a decent spec. to me.
    Must be your broadband supplier!
  • edited April 2012
    http://www.pokerlistings.com/blog/the-perfect-pc-setup-for-the-online-grinder

Would you say this is still relevant Machka, in terms of RAM size, CPU etc.? Lookinf for a new setup as my laptop really can't handle many tables on Sky at all. Figuring it will pay for itself in time.
  • edited April 2012
    @Die_hard, that spec is more than adequate, although i'm not a massive fan of Acer laptops but that's more down to reliability rather than spec issues.

How do you connect to the internet ? Do you use a cable or wireless ?
  • edited April 2012
    http://www.pokerlistings.com/blog/the-perfect-pc-setup-for-the-online-grinder Would you say this is still relevant Machka, in terms of RAM size, CPU etc.? Lookinf for a new setup as my laptop really can't handle many tables on Sky at all. Figuring it will pay for itself in time.
    Posted by nagrom

That spec would be fine but in terms of pc hardware that article is quite old.

Are you looking at getting one pre-built or building it together yourself ?
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: Best poker set up i can use? : That spec would be fine but in terms of pc hardware that article is quite old. Are you looking at getting one pre-built or building it together yourself ?
    Posted by AcidMan27
    Thanks captain haha. Looking at building it myself but paying for installation etc. Such a n00b.
  • edited April 2012
    @Die_hard, that spec is more than adequate, although i'm not a massive fan of Acer laptops but that's more down to reliability rather than spec issues. How do you connect to the internet ? Do you use a cable or wireless ?
    Posted by AcidMan27
    Wireless to Sky router, however, I've tried it with cable and the speed is only very slightly better :(

I've been thinking about getting BT Infinity lately but don't really download anything and don't want to end up paying £30/£40 p.m. on a contract, plus setting up fees if it isn't going to make much difference.
  • edited April 2012
    @Die_Hard.

The processor in your laptop is definitely up to the job and 4GB memory is good too.  The only suspect component I'd say could be causing the problem is the Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT integrated graphics chip. 

For comparison my old Geoforce card in my PC was made in 2006 and has a relative speed of 664.  Checking your Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT its relative speed is 334.

That's the only issue I see with your laptop.

As to the internet connection, I find wireless hopeless unless you have a perfect connection which is rare.

Go to www.speedtest.net and run a speed test, what are your ping, upload and download speeds?

Also try and run it with 8 tables open, playing them shouldn't be necessary.

In the download client I've just opened 10 cash tables, not playing them though, lol, and combined they are using about 5KB/s download and less than 2KB/s upload so data usage of Sky Poker is negligible.

2 ways to test your problem.

1. Use an ethernet cable to connect the laptop to the router and see if that is any better. (Although you say it isn't above)

2. Borrow / use another PC with a better graphics card and see if that improves matters.
  • edited April 2012
    http://www.pokerlistings.com/blog/the-perfect-pc-setup-for-the-online-grinder Would you say this is still relevant Machka, in terms of RAM size, CPU etc.? Lookinf for a new setup as my laptop really can't handle many tables on Sky at all. Figuring it will pay for itself in time.
    Posted by nagrom
    As Acidman27 says, the article is a few years old and 3 years in computing is forever, lol.

I just put together the chillblast PC I ordered for my sister above and it's a brilliant machine.  You won't be able to buy individual components for much less if at all.

If I were looking for a new PC now I'd get it and a second monitor for another £100.
  • edited April 2012
    @Die_Hard. The processor in your laptop is definitely up to the job and 4GB memory is good too.  The only suspect component I'd say could be causing the problem is the Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT integrated graphics chip.  For comparison my old Geoforce card in my PC was made in 2006 and has a relative speed of 664.  Checking your Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT its relative speed is 334. That's the only issue I see with your laptop. As to the internet connection, I find wireless hopeless unless you have a perfect connection which is rare. Go to www.speedtest.net and run a speed test, what are your ping, upload and download speeds? Also try and run it with 8 tables open, playing them shouldn't be necessary. In the download client I've just opened 10 cash tables, not playing them though, lol, and combined they are using about 5KB/s download and less than 2KB/s upload so data usage of Sky Poker is negligible. 2 ways to test your problem. 1. Use an ethernet cable to connect the laptop to the router and see if that is any better. (Although you say it isn't above) 2. Borrow / use another PC with a better graphics card and see if that improves matters.
    Posted by Machka
    Thanks Acid Man & Macka

Apologies to OP for hijacking thread too, I'll go away no probs if you want me too lol - you seem to be sorted now though which is gurrrd :)

I forgot to say - my laptop's CPU usage when playing about 5+ tables is pretty much 85-100%, playing 7 is stays on 100% most of the time (this is after shutting everything else running down too).

These (utter garbage results) on IE if that makes a difference (use this for SKy Poker as it's even slower on Firefox - this using the browser version as even 2 tables is unplayable with the download):-

Wireless - no tables
    Ping - 89ms
    Download - 1.35
    Upload - 0.51

Wireless - 8 tables (CPU Usage stuck on 100% being used)
    Ping - 370ms (How does this suddenly go up this much?)
    Download - 1.19
    Upload - 0.45
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: Best poker set up i can use? : Thanks Acid Man & Macka Apologies to OP for hijacking thread too, I'll go away no probs if you want me too lol - you seem to be sorted now though which is gurrrd :) I forgot to say - my laptop's CPU usage when playing about 5+ tables is pretty much 85-100%, playing 7 is stays on 100% most of the time (this is after shutting everything else running down too). These (utter garbage results) on IE if that makes a difference (use this for SKy Poker as it's even slower on Firefox - this using the browser version as even 2 tables is unplayable with the download):- Wireless - no tables Ping - 89ms Download - 1.35 Upload - 0.51 Wireless - 8 tables (CPU Usage stuck on 100% being used) Ping - 370ms (How does this suddenly go up this much?) Download - 1.19 Upload - 0.45
    Posted by Die_hard

If your CPU is showing at pretty much 100% on 7 or above then it looks like that processor along with the integrated graphics isn't a great combination so you're pretty much stuck.  Looks like that laptop isn't up to the job past 6 or 7 tables.

The no tables results looks ok, not fantastic but certainly fast enough to play.  The ping is borderline but I'd say it's acceptable, with no tables running!

The reason it goes up to much after you start running multiple tables is just due to contention on the internet connection.

As soon as you start multiple tables they all want to send and receive data and it's all essentially going down the same line.  So either your laptop or the wireless router is having problems sending and receiving quick enough.

Try it wired and I'll expect you'll see a massive improvement.
  • edited April 2012
    Ah right thx.

I'll tes it wired in a bit if I get chance or tomorrow :)

Edit: missus gone to bed :) so do it shortly.
  • edited April 2012
    No better whatsoever :(

Wired - no tables
    Ping - 75ms
    Download - 1.30
    Upload - 0.48

(BRB Wired)
    Wired - 8 tables (CPU Usage stuck on 100% being used)
    Ping - 119m
    Download - 1.3
    Upload - 0.45

An IT mate consultant of mine did some line tests a while ago and said I could get a maximum of 2.5MB through the phone line.

This may well have nothing to do with anything here (althrough the rest of the internet works fine), but the last couple of weeks only, after playing the same 7 tables for an hour or so, if I click ANYWHERE on the lobby, the whole site crashes, the tables all time out then a box pops up for each table saying do I want to recover page, which by the time I have, I have lost my seat on every table. This happens every single time I play :(
  • edited April 2012
    Just for reference I'll run a quick test, baring in mind I have a 20MB down / 2MB up service.

Wired: 1 table as I'm playing in a tournament (probably briefly)
    Ping: 20ms
    Down: 19.30
    Up: 1.96

I'll open a bunch of tables...

16 tables open in standard view.

The one table I'm playing is responding fine, no lag. (Actually, if I make Firefox the active app then the tables does lag.)

Skypoker is using about 35% CPU.

Ping: 22ms
    Down: 16.80
    Up: 1.98
  • edited April 2012
    I've always said it's down to how much CPU usage the site uses as I (and many other who have said on here) have no problem with multiing a lot more tables on other sites. I have been told umpteen times by people on here though that it's nothing to do with it....

What do you think about that? Your superduper connection is lagging with ONE table!

Edit: And using 35% with ONE table - what would it be with 6/7/8+?
  • edited April 2012
    No better whatsoever :( Wired - no tables Ping - 75ms Download - 1.30 Upload - 0.48 (BRB Wired) Wired - 8 tables (CPU Usage stuck on 100% being used) Ping - 119m Download - 1.3 Upload - 0.45 An IT mate consultant of mine did some line tests a while ago and said I could get a maximum of 2.5MB through the phone line. This may well have nothing to do with anything here (althrough the rest of the internet works fine), but the last couple of weeks only, after playing the same 7 tables for an hour or so, if I click ANYWHERE on the lobby, the whole site crashes, the tables all time out then a box pops up for each table saying do I want to recover page, which by the time I have, I have lost my seat on every table. This happens every single time I play :(
    Posted by Die_hard

Hard to exactly find where the lag is coming from without another PC / fast laptop to test on.

I'd say a combination of your laptop struggling with it's CPU / graphics chip combination and wireless isn't helping.

You problem with the browser crashing along with the issues you're having with the download client would say to me there is something wrong with the flash / adobe air installation.  Pinpointing that would be a hard job too.
  • edited April 2012
    I've always said it's down to how much CPU usage the site uses as I (and many other who have said on here) have no problem with multiing a lot more tables on other sites. I have been told umpteen times by people on here though that it's nothing to do with it.... What do you think about that? Your superduper connection is lagging with ONE table! Edit: And using 35% with ONE table - what would it be with 6/7/8+?
    Posted by Die_hard

Re: Best poker set up i can use?

posted at 10/4/2012 10:00 PM BST on SkyPoker.com

First: 25/10/2009
    Last: 10/4/2012
    Just for reference I'll run a quick test, baring in mind I have a 20MB down / 2MB up service.

Wired: 1 table as I'm playing in a tournament (probably briefly)
    Ping: 20ms
    Down: 19.30
    Up: 1.96

I'll open a bunch of tables...

16 tables open in standard view.

The one table I'm playing is responding fine, no lag. (Actually, if I make Firefox the active app then the tables does lag.)

Skypoker is using about 35% CPU.

Ping: 22ms
    Down: 16.80
    Up: 1.98

I had 16 tables open (playing on 1) and my PC is 3 years old so less than entry level for a PC these days.
  • edited April 2012
    Ok cheers, your help is much appreciated.

In other words though - I'm screwed lol, without getting hold of an amazing spec laptop (which I don't know anyone who'd got one) and paying £35ish p.m. for BT Infinity - both these just for testing purposes :(

I'll have to struggle on just being really peed off playing here, which actually sounds pretty dumb lol.
  • edited April 2012
    I said on the previous page this entry level laptop should work perfectly (assuming your internet is up to scratch).

Re: Best poker set up i can use?

posted at 2/4/2012 9:53 PM BST on SkyPoker.com

First: 25/10/2009
    Last: 10/4/2012
    I'm not great laptop expert but any i5 based one would do the job for you.  Even an i3 based should be fine but for the price of an i5 there's no reason not to get one.

This isn't a recommendation, I just did a quick search and a decent spec Lenovo (IBM) laptop is about £400 and then a nice 22" monitor is £100 or less if you look around.