You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Has the Poster's Freeroll ruined the forum?

Comments

• edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Has the Poster's Freeroll ruined the forum?:
    If you tilt the picture to the left(laptop req) it looks like the head of a dolphin....observation skills not req...
    Posted by brookbrid
    LOL You are a genius sir.
  • edited November 2009
    I took part in the early discussions on this thread, something like 35 posts in the first 30 minutes with some of those comments getting quite vitriolic and when I signed off I was feeling very very down.  I'm glad to see that wiser people than I have since made some very very good posts on this thread.

I think one thing that this thread has proven is that you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Whatever happens regarding the posters freeroll I feel that this forum will go from strength to strength.

• edited November 2009
    I took part in the early discussions on this thread, something like 35 posts in the first 30 minutes with some of those comments getting quite vitriolic and when I signed off I was feeling very very down.  I'm glad to see that wiser people than I have since made some very very good posts on this thread. I think one thing that this thread has proven is that you can't please all of the people all of the time. Whatever happens regarding the posters freeroll I feel that this forum will go from strength to strength.
    Posted by Kiwini4u
    SORRY 2 HEAR THAT M8, YOUR VALID POINT LIKE MINE GOT TANGLED UP IN SOME GIRLY PUNCH UP. ALL SENSIBLE MEMBERS OF THE FORUM TRUELY APPRECIATE YOU EFFORTS ON HERE. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND DODGE ANY POSTS WITH FLYING FUR
  • edited November 2009
    I think the problem here is that we are looking to reward quantity as opposed to quality.

So instead of rewarding by number of posts , lets reward by number of characters posted, that way given that I am not a big poster, but when I do post it reads like a novelette I'd have a chance of qualifying :)

Aski

PS. The above is not a serious suggestion before everyone starts making posts filled with 1 or 2 letters repeated 100 times over ;)
  • edited November 2009
    I think the problem here is that we are looking to reward quantity as opposed to quality.
    Posted by Aski
    Rich keeps a close eye on things and doesn't allow total junk / SPAM to count
  • edited November 2009
    People who are so concerned about this issue are even more pathetic than the posters who are supposedly spamming to get into the freeroll.

Get better at poker, build your roll then you wouldn't have to be so concerned about a freeroll.
  • edited November 2009
    People who are so concerned about this issue are even more pathetic than the posters who are supposedly spamming to get into the freeroll. Get better at poker, build your roll then you wouldn't have to be so concerned about a freeroll.
    Posted by scotty77
    I don't think that they are concerned about entry into the freeroll; they are concerned about the quality of posts in the forum.
  • edited November 2009
    Point of the Posters Freeroll????? = Increase Post Activity

Result of the Posters Freeroll = Increased Post Activity

A job well done i'd say. You can't realy say that people putting oneliner posts on are acehiving much though as the posters freeroll is still there with many of the people who have played the first 2 (apart from me who's making my first appearance yey lol)

With more people's opinions appearing on the boards your bound to find some things to your taste and others a bit boring, for instance I don't know who Mickjenn is but there are multiple threads about getting him his chat back. Good luck to those who are bothered enough to post it but i'm not bothered enough to read it.......... so i don't. I don't think those people making those threads have any less right to put them up though just cos i couldn't give 2 monkeys
  • edited November 2009
       I have to admit that i had my reservations about the people who would post just to get into the freeroll and there have been some. But if you look at the line ups that have been entered into this freeroll then you will see that the vast majority of the people in it are the ones who make a positive impact on the forum.
      Hopefully this freeroll will encourage new posters to come along and add to a great forum. There were always a lot of +1 and LOL posts before and there always will be but on the whole the forum has not been downgraded too much as yet
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Has the Poster's Freeroll ruined the forum? : I don't think that they are concerned about entry into the freeroll; they are concerned about the quality of posts in the forum.
    Posted by MereNovice
    why should this matter tho.  this forum doesn't have a limit of only 10 new threads a day, if you don't like the thread don't read it.

i do agree that there is a lot of garbage out there, but IMO threads like this are even worse as people get wound up about a totally pointless issue.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Has the Poster's Freeroll ruined the forum? : why should this matter tho.  this forum doesn't have a limit of only 10 new threads a day, if you don't like the thread don't read it. i do agree that there is a lot of garbage out there, but IMO threads like this are even worse as people get wound up about a totally pointless issue.
    Posted by scotty77
    A point well made!! i have already put my two penneth's worth in a bit earlier on the thread outlining that very point. 
  • edited November 2009
    The posts are looked at by the team at Sky, so that spam is filtered out. Yes there are a lot of new postees since the introduction of the freeroll, surely that is a good thing as the forum will grow accordingly. Yes there are a lot of  pointless threads out there now and IMO this is one of them
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Has the Poster's Freeroll ruined the forum? : why should this matter tho.  this forum doesn't have a limit of only 10 new threads a day, if you don't like the thread don't read it. i do agree that there is a lot of garbage out there, but IMO threads like this are even worse as people get wound up about a totally pointless issue.
    Posted by scotty77
    It's not of great concern to me personally but I can see why other people are concerned.
    The "flow" of potentially interesting and informative threads can be disrupted by serial spamming. There has been at least one case where this has already happened.
    Also, the opening of multiple spurious threads means that some threads are shifted off the first page within an hour of being created at times and are missed by people who might be interested in them. This leads to the creation of more threads as people start another thread to discuss the same topic, e.g. there were multiple threads discussing the WSOP main event final table at the weekend. I agree that generally it is not an issue as the more relevant threads would tend to be more active and hence get promoted to the first page more often.

Obviously, none of this really matters much in the overall scheme of things; I'm just expanding on my initial post in response to your question.
  • edited November 2009

NOPE , DONT THINK SO . QUIET THE OPPOSITE . THE MORE THE MERRIER ME THINKS . FAR MORE THREADS ARE GOING UP AND I THINK THIS IS GREAT .DONT REALLY EVEN CARE  WHAT THEY ARE ABOUT EITHER . IF PEOPLE WANT TO TALK/ASK ABOUT WHATEVER WHY NOT . THERES ENOUGH ROOM FOR EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING. THE ONE THING THAT WE SHOULD CARE ABOUT IS HOW WE TREAT AND WELCOME NEW POSTERS . IM SURE THERE ARE PLENTY OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE QUESTIONS BUT FIND THE THOUGHT OF POSTING A BIT DAUNTING .  

• edited November 2009
    I think the point here is that people will post what interests them. If someone's post isn't of interest to you skip it. Posting into a thread the fact that you find it worthless, irrelevant or a waste of time is spamming. If a thread has no interest it will die off naturally, posting the fact that it is not to your personal liking will only serve to prolong it.
  • edited November 2009
    Well said to PILLOWMAN & elsadog. May i say good afternoon to you all. x
  • edited November 2009
    Well said to PILLOWMAN & elsadog. May i say good afternoon to you all. x
    Posted by borobabe09
    Hi Boro,

Check your PM's, please.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Has the Poster's Freeroll ruined the forum? : Hi Boro, Check your PM's, please.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi Tikay, have done & replied.
    Thank u, Thank u, Thank u, Thank u
    X
  • edited November 2009
    I think the point here is that people will post what interests them. If someone's post isn't of interest to you skip it. Posting into a thread the fact that you find it worthless, irrelevant or a waste of time is spamming. If a thread has no interest it will die off naturally, posting the fact that it is not to your personal liking will only serve to prolong it.
    Posted by elsadog
    totally agree. This community is one of the more active that I am a member of.

Not only does it cover poker, but you can also get some good chats going in the Shed.

Only read the ones of interest.
  • edited November 2009
    i love lamp
    Posted by MrMagooo
    Classic from Mr Magoo!  You can't beat a bit of Anchorman!  Does Tikay wear this cologne? Oh and I've never been in the posters freeroll ;)

• edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Has the Poster's Freeroll ruined the forum? : Classic from Mr Magoo!  You can't beat a bit of Anchorman!  Does Tikay wear this cologne? Oh and I've never been in the posters freeroll ;)
    Posted by rossjb14
    Lol @ "60% of the time it works every time"......!

A guy with a maths degree Posted a few days ago that 61% of 50/50's won......That's kept me chuckling ever since.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Has the Poster's Freeroll ruined the forum? : Lol @ "60% of the time it works every time"......! A guy with a maths degree Posted a few days ago that 61% of 50/50's won......That's kept me chuckling ever since.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I recall the great Michael Lynagh commenting during half-time in a rugby match that one of the teams needed to "cut out the 50/50 passes because they only work one time in five".
    Mind you, he is Australian so he does have an excuse. :-)
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Has the Poster's Freeroll ruined the forum? : Lol @ "60% of the time it works every time"......! A guy with a maths degree Posted a few days ago that 61% of 50/50's won......That's kept me chuckling ever since.
    Posted by Tikay10
    The education system in this country is definately not what it used to be.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Has the Poster's Freeroll ruined the forum? : I recall the great Michael Lynagh commenting during half-time in a rugby match that one of the teams needed to "cut out the 50/50 passes because they only work one time in five". Mind you, he is Australian so he does have an excuse. :-)
    Posted by MereNovice
    so his excuse was?? ....that he was doing his calculations upside down ;)
  • edited November 2009
    Whilst I can see the aim of the poster's freeroll, and also agree with scotty in that for the sake of a freeroll entry you may as well spend your time studying poker and building a better bankroll so that u dont need freerolls, I am sure there could be a better way of getting more people involved in the forum discussions.
  • edited November 2009
    Whilst I can see the aim of the poster's freeroll, and also agree with scotty in that for the sake of a freeroll entry you may as well spend your time studying poker and building a better bankroll so that u dont need freerolls, I am sure there could be a better way of getting more people involved in the forum discussions.
    Posted by Deadluck
    I LOVE THIS FREEROLL . MAINLY BECAUSE I GET TO SPEND TIME WITH PEOPLE I LIKE . FOR SEVERAL PLAYERS WHO ARE NEW TO THE GAME OR HAVE A SMALL BANKROLL , THIS IS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY TO PLAY WITH SOME OF THE BETTER PLAYERS.
  • edited November 2009
      I blame the education system. Look at the kids leaving school now. Half of them cant read, half of them cant write and the other half cant add up
  • edited November 2009
    Posted by Tikay10
    Yeah I read that post, people say the funniest things :)
  • edited November 2009
    Well despite all the nicey-nicey posts....it seems > 50% of people agree with me....?!

Sorry for being "negative", was just my opinion

Penny x
  • edited November 2009
    Well despite all the nicey-nicey posts....it seems /> 50% of people agree with me....?! Sorry for being "negative", was just my opinion Penny x
    Posted by Penny_Less
    I DISAGREE , 50 % DISAGREE WITH YOU , LOL