You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

400nl HU: River decision in 3b pot

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Thought i'd post this as i never play HU. My memory isnt too good but from what i can remember this was vs what i assume was a competent reg, who i'd never played before. I would guess a little on the tight side, didnt 3b too frequently and i think this was the first 3bet he'd called out of about 4. Dont think there had been any real big pots of note before this and he hadnt done anything out of the ordinary.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
villain Small blind   £2.00 £2.00 £417.00
offshoot Big blind   £4.00 £6.00 £490.00
  Your hole cards
  • Q

villain Raise   £10.00 £16.00 £407.00
offshoot Raise   £32.00 £48.00 £458.00
villain Call   £24.00 £72.00 £383.00
Flop

• K
  • J
  • A

offshoot Bet   £40.00 £112.00 £418.00
villain Call   £40.00 £152.00 £343.00
Turn

offshoot Bet   £100.00 £252.00 £318.00
villain Call   £100.00 £352.00 £243.00
River

• K

offshoot?

Comments

• edited May 2012
    tbh i would check call here bluff catch villain could be firing any flush draws i would love a check here if you bet and get raised on put u in such a tricky spot here so im check call all day long 
  • edited May 2012

probably just shove ! more hands that you beat than not but will still call a shove

if oppo turn over AK/KJ, like mmmm how do we ever c/f or b/f versus the amount oppo has got left

oppo probabbly checks it back anyway with anything you beat

• edited May 2012
    Yeah oppo only has 70% of pot left on river, got to be shove for me, if he has us beat just sigh and reload.  
  • edited May 2012
    Surely gotta just shove
  • edited May 2012
    I'm not sure I've seen anyone post an NL400 hand before...

Anyway, I'd go for the check-call. I'm not so sure that there are that many worse hands that call our shove. I'd reason that there are a few hands that might shove on us as either a bluff or for relatively thin value. If he checks back a bare King or Ace, then I'd shrug my shoulders and say I've missed some value. I'm sure I don't have to say it but folding shouldn't be an option.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: 400nl HU: River decision in 3b pot:
    I'm not sure I've seen anyone post an NL400 hand before... Anyway, I'd go for the check-call. I'm not so sure that there are that many worse hands that call our shove. I'd reason that there are a few hands that might shove on us as either a bluff or for relatively thin value. If he checks back a bare King or Ace, then I'd shrug my shoulders and say I've missed some value. I'm sure I don't have to say it but folding shouldn't be an option.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    I know it's so exciting !

Sorry I gone a bit silly -_-
  • edited May 2012
    Value bet!?, tight H/U players love to "rope-a-dope" aggros, but he may be more inclined to play his monster hands faster since its a pretty wet board? if that would be the case KJ(EDIT:kj being a marginal monster hand here) would fit with villains line, so it would be a concern for sure but thats prob top of his c/c range.

With v little dynamics i prob b/c ~130 value from Ax, kq etc.
  • edited May 2012
    first of all im pretty sure the have the best hand 100% of the time, ur only beat by AA, KK, JJ, AK + KJ and JJ+ and AK+ i would have thought would be in villains 4bet range

and i think u would get raised by KJ on the Flop/Turn with villain fearing that any spade/club/Q/T would kill 'his' action + also the possibility he will be beat if any of them fall so its just as likely he would raise to protect his hand

anyway....if u check river pretty sure he only bets 

- Flush Draw/other AIR as a bluff
    - KQ, KT maybe
    - KJ ...if he decided to play this way

he checks back every other Broadway combo with some showdown value  AT, AJ, QJ, AQ etc...

so..... if u shove river -  f-draws fold, misc combo's fold, and only exactly KQ, KT 'might' call, and obv KJ defo calls

so i think its best to under-bet something like £70-80 and hope he spazzes out - with this bet KQ, KT defo call (altough u lose some value) but also pretty much all his combos are likely to call another £70 into ~£430 + plus givces him room to spa zz out with his QJcc - obv ur never folding, and if he flips KJ...then gg

• edited May 2012
    nice post sikas im no expert on cash far from it but people are not silly when u say 70-80 bet thin value i see this alot and looks like a block bet meaning u dnt want to get raised on and u dnt want to check to to opponent so he puts u in tricky spot with a all in here  so u say bet 70-80 but a really good cash player would see this as a block bet and would shove here and then what would u do tricky spot so imo i think check call is the right move here i maybe wrong 
  • edited May 2012
    nice breakdown Sikas & Whoami

Question for both of you:

b/c £80ish, don't we just hold up a sign saying that we ain't folding

• edited May 2012
    nice breakdown Sikas & Whoami Question for both of you:  b/c £80ish, don't we just hold up a sign saying that we ain't folding
    Posted by rancid
    no
  • edited May 2012
    nice post sikas im no expert on cash far from it but people are not silly when u say 70-80 bet thin value i see this alot and looks like a block bet meaning u dnt want to get raised on and u dnt want to check to to opponent so he puts u in tricky spot with a all in here  so u say bet 70-80 but a really good cash player would see this as a block bet and would shove here and then what would u do tricky spot so imo i think check call is the right move here i maybe wrong 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Even if the correct play might be to shove, i think most people when faced with a small blocking bet more often than not will call if they have some showdown value, which he most likely has here.
  • edited May 2012
    first of all im pretty sure the have the best hand 100% of the time, ur only beat by AA, KK, JJ, AK + KJ and JJ+ and AK+ i would have thought would be in villains 4bet range and i think u would get raised by KJ on the Flop/Turn with villain fearing that any spade/club/Q/T would kill 'his' action + also the possibility he will be beat if any of them fall so its just as likely he would raise to protect his hand anyway....if u check river pretty sure he only bets  - Flush Draw/other AIR as a bluff - KQ, KT maybe - KJ ...if he decided to play this way he checks back every other Broadway combo with some showdown value  AT, AJ, QJ, AQ etc... so..... if u shove river -  f-draws fold, misc combo's fold, and only exactly KQ, KT 'might' call, and obv KJ defo calls so i think its best to under-bet something like £70-80 and hope he spazzes out - with this bet KQ, KT defo call (altough u lose some value) but also pretty much all his combos are likely to call another £70 into ~£430 + plus givces him room to spa zz out with his QJcc - obv ur never folding, and if he flips KJ...then gg
    Posted by sikas
    I agree with the 4-bettinng range, but I don't think he necessarily 4-bets every time with those hands. Assuming offshoot's 3-betting range is pretty wide, our opponent isn't always going to want to close down the action by 4-betting if he's holding AA or KK. So I don't think we can say he definitely hasn't played those hands this way.

I don't mind the idea of betting small. I have to admit that I tend to look at these things with a tournament mind - we have less than a pot-bet back, so it's shove or check. Of course we can bet small for value in cash, but I think that when we bet small it's going to look an awful lot like a value bet. I don't think it will ever be viewed as a blocker bet and therefore we can never expect to be shoved on by a weak hand. So I suppose that's an argument for folding to a shove after betting £70 or so... but I don't think I would ever find a fold.

So I think the question is; does our £70 bet get called by twice as much of his range as a shove does? I don't know, to be honest, but if the answer is no then we should shove... Although I would still check and look to pick off a shove from him, with what I would think would be a wider range than would call. Can't say if it's "right" but it's what I'd do.
  • edited May 2012
    Just shove. 

Wud bet bigger on flop n turn too. 

*edit, didn't read posts before I replied, ^high 5^ Rancid & Dudenit  :)
  • edited May 2012
    If my hand is 56 do you still advocate shoving this river?
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: 400nl HU: River decision in 3b pot : Even if the correct play might be to shove, i think most people when faced with a small blocking bet more often than not will call if they have some showdown value, which he most likely has here.
    Posted by offshoot
    yeah sure btm of oppo range flats the blocker, but does middle range call the shove :S
    And somtimes does btm range still call the shove anyway....given whats left behind

- if we say it's a given we only get called or shoved on by better the minority of the time
    Is it better we shove and be called more often with hands that we beat or bet out and only be called sometimes and get folds the other times

Very perplexing :S

• edited May 2012
    Im personally shoving... altho sikas does sound like hes talking a bit of sense but im a fish all in :) 
  • edited May 2012
    When he flats the turn for 100 what are you putting him on?
    I think the river is 100% C/C. The k is a terrible card for you imo the only had he has missed is the FD so you get no value from betting anyway. 

Not sure what your image is to him though surely thats important? If he thinks your a nit then what does he call a river shove with something that you beat? If your playing aggro and getting to showdown with air or weaker hands then maybe a shove is right if he calls with worse. I dont think a competent reg would call 100 on turn with just a fd, of course he could be playing something like akss but thats unlikely i think AQss is more likely here. Argh such a tough hand!! But yeah id be check calling river here. The main point for me being if you shove river more times than not he will have you beat if he calls imo. Dont play much HU though so maybe my thinking is totally flawed.
  • edited May 2012
    If my hand is 56 do you still advocate shoving this river?
    Posted by offshoot
    I was just wondering this when people start saying he folds everything worse than KQ

bet flop and turn bigger imo, its not likely hes going to float or raise that board with air

I think I like jamming, although sikas talks a lot of sense. Really dont like c/c
  • edited May 2012
    I think you're an aggro player yeh?

So he obv knows this, and could even station down with something like A10 maybe?
  • edited May 2012
    The reason why i dont like c/c is that i dont really think he bluffs me here that often or has a hand where he needs to bluff. Most of his FD's have pairs so he probably just checks it with them and weak aces. The only thing he bets is a K probably.

I also dont like a shove. Seems like youre just wanting him to call with a lot of hands he probably doesnt have. Its also hard to stay balanced when you shove this board. Youre just setting yourself up to get valuetowned most of the time. Its probably wise not to shove randon FD's on this board so how can it be right to shove something like QT?
  • edited May 2012
    The reason why i dont like c/c is that i dont really think he bluffs me here that often or has a hand where he needs to bluff. Most of his FD's have pairs so he probably just checks it with them and weak aces. The only thing he bets is a K probably. I also dont like a shove. Seems like youre just wanting him to call with a lot of hands he probably doesnt have. Its also hard to stay balanced when you shove this board. Youre just setting yourself up to get valuetowned most of the time. Its probably wise not to shove randon FD's on this board so how can it be right to shove something like QT?
    Posted by offshoot
    You said you had never seen/played this person before, so do you really need to be that balanced on quite a specific situation like this?
  • edited May 2012
    The reason why i dont like c/c is that i dont really think he bluffs me here that often or has a hand where he needs to bluff. Most of his FD's have pairs so he probably just checks it with them and weak aces. The only thing he bets is a K probably. I also dont like a shove. Seems like youre just wanting him to call with a lot of hands he probably doesnt have. Its also hard to stay balanced when you shove this board. Youre just setting yourself up to get valuetowned most of the time. Its probably wise not to shove randon FD's on this board so how can it be right to shove something like QT?
    Posted by offshoot
    Intresting offshoot, but how would we play AK/KJ if you bet £80 with your whole range is that just somewhat better
    Is that what your saying ?
  • edited May 2012
    Never 3b'ing this pre against described opponent.

I think you have the best hand a bunch, his most likely hands are AQ, KQcc, KJcc and QT. Maybe some AsXs. idk, I dont think any worse hands call a shove. MAYBE KQcc. And I dont think any worse hands shove. Lol gross spot, I think I prefer betting 150. I think too often people get into the mentality of "well i've set up a shove so i have to shove now". I think you get looked up by everything thats worse than you if you bet 150.

In summary, I probably bet call or bet fold idk.
  • edited May 2012
    So, in conclusion:

Check/call - IDONKCALLU, BorinLoner, Wacko90

Shove - Rancid, Dudeskin8, DOHHHHHHH, Young_Gun, grantorino

Bet/call - Whoam196, sikas, LadyFingrs(?)

Bet/fold - LadyFingrs(?)

There you go offshoot. The consensus is that you should check/call, shove, bet/call or bet/fold... That's got to be helpful.
  • edited May 2012
    Not a massive fan of per given we have little info of villains call 3b range, only that it is not super wide so we could have big rio.
    V torn between bc and bf. I'd rather bf if we make it 120+ and bc if smaller tho I can't see what hands he will jam river with given he prob has little info on u, and most his hands have as value.
    Checking is weird cos he will prob jam all kx hands and better, just gotta count combos and do pot odds maths to see if it's +ev
  • edited May 2012
    Sorry, b/f, should have been more clear.
  • edited May 2012
    I think....yeah bet fold.
  • edited May 2012
    Thought about this hand a while, and honestly still haven't got a good answer for it. Its to sick of a spot and if I played it 4-5 times I may play it differently each time hoping I got some read off villian as to what he had. If i really had to place money on the hand he flips over that has us beat it will be KJ, but other than that I think its a gut feel, and a gut check time hand. Don't think any of the suggested plays are wrong or right. Only one I'd walk away feeling bad about would be C/F, and so anything else I can see as ok. Think my most likely to play would be failr thin bet and fold to a shove as i really can't see him bluffing to often on this board.
  • edited May 2012

I can't see what you can be ahead of here apart from AQ OR AJ or maybe he isnt getting that far with KQ OR QJ. If you shove he is folding AJ but calling with AQ majority of the time so your losing value IMO by shoving. If you check he is shoving regardless majority of the time. And because of his stack size and tghe bet on the turn you cant really bet fold as your going to have to bet atleast £100 meaning if he comes over the top for his remaining £143 you have to call. I think it's a check fold