You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

your ideas for new forum discussion groups

edited November 2009 in Poker Chat
Hey guys,

the Sky Poker community has now been up and live for around 5 months and in that time we have been delighted with the progress and continuous growth. we are always trying to think of new ideas to improve things to give you the very best community experience possible. as this community is all about YOU, the users, we have decided to ask for some of your suggestions on how to improve things.

what we want to know is... would you like to see any new forum discussion groups/ boards / categorises (or whatever you like to call them!) ??

please post all your ideas and suggestions here and i will seriously consider implementing the best ones.

(ssshh - we might even give out a few prizes )

so tell me what would you like to see?

...together we can make things better

Comments

• edited November 2009
    none.  having too many sub forums dilutes the content, and there will be parts of the forum that are rarely used.

thats why i generally stay in the general section, as its a good mix of poker discussion/sky poker news and more light-hearted stuff.

• edited November 2009
    As an initial suggestions under the General Poker Chat could we have the following child boards

Tournament Announcements - Most of the first page is taken up with these and they knock discussions threads down

Given this started with the Ask TK thread, how about an Ask the Presenter Child board , that would allow the TK thread to stay on the first page of that sub section

Competition sub section - for any comps that are run , ie like Tikays how many runners in so and so threads

Under  strategy section, could we have child boards for Cash, SNG's and MTT's, so that anything specific to those games could be posted there.

Also a hand analysis child board too would be useful

With regards to the Shed, sub sections for Sport, Music, Competitions

thanks

Aski :)
  • edited November 2009

when u click on poker statergy how about different sections for

No limit holdem
    Pl holdem

Cash

Omaha (if its gonig to be here soon)

• edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: your ideas for new forum discussion groups:
    none.  having too many sub forums dilutes the content, and there will be parts of the forum that are rarely used. thats why i generally stay in the general section, as its a good mix of poker discussion/sky poker news and more light-hearted stuff.
    Posted by scotty77
    I have to agree, I tend to stay in General Chat and only venture into one of the other forums whe I see a post that mentions something that has happened or is happening there.

One thing I would suggest is maybe having a forum opened where all the closed threads, say those that haven't been used for over a month are put.  They will still be there for people to read if they want to but wont clutter up the main forums.
  • edited November 2009
    What about a photo area where people can post photos, photo's of themself or funny ones
  • edited November 2009
    i like to see a nutters category ,

god knows there is enough of them on here ,

of course me included lol.

maybe call it after that world skypoker renowned nutter that guy is

oynutter
  • edited November 2009
    'Ask TK' to be moved to a sticky OR expand this concept and create a 'Ask the analyst / presenter'  group, with sub-categories of:

*Ask Tk
    *Ask Giddins
    *Ask Orford
    *Ask Sky-Rich    EVEN! ;)

etc..

How about a 'General Gambling' Group, just to promote tips etc. Anyway that is my attempt :)

Dave
  • edited November 2009
    Hi Rich

I think that one has already started in Ask tikay, so what about a board called "Talk to tikay" where it is possible to ask tikay about a variety of subjects including, but not just poker, it seems to have taken off already, so a board of its own would seem to be a good idea, and hopefully, new visitors/players would feel able to ask questions.
  • edited November 2009
    when u click on poker statergy how about different sections for No limit holdem Pl holdem Cash Omaha (if its gonig to be here soon)
    Posted by 35suited

This, there should definately be a difference between cash and tourney threads
  • edited November 2009
    I brought up this idea of creating more Boards with Tikay in the "Ask Tikay" thread

The consensus was we definitely need more Boards.

This is a busy Forum and lots of threads are dropping off the 1st pages (especially in the General Poker Chat" Board.)

I suggested an "Ask Tikay Board"

Tikay mentioned a Cash-Only Board - "Cash Corner" or similar.

Others will suggest many other Boards. 

The bottom line is, as a growing community, we need more Boards.

Sky will have to decide how many & what they are called.

All the best.
  • edited November 2009
    I agree with Scotty that more is not the way forward necessarily. I stick to General section, strategy and the shed.  I understand that everyone has different tastes and needs from a forum (hence why area 51 is so popular!!!)  How about sub sectionning the general section into :

Cash chat
    MTT / SNG chat
    Presenters pages - esp Tikay
    Brags and Moans

That way people have specific strands to look for.
  • edited November 2009
    Hi,
    I would like to see a beginner section where new people can be attracted to straight away, introduce themselves, ask members questions etc.
  • edited November 2009
    Hi all

I agree with scotty and phil about the problems associated with increasing the number of sections. I would slightly disagree with phil on this one, however.  I think that the general poker chat section should not be split up into sections as he suggests, as i think many threads would not necessarily sit in any one of the sub categories he suggests.  I think a general poker chat board sits well in the forum.

In the poker strategy section, i think phils suggestion would work better, although again i am not sure it is necessary, and that thread titles should be adequate to help forum members navigate to threads of interest.

Ray
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to your ideas for new forum discussion groups:
    Hey guys, the Sky Poker community has now been up and live for around 5 months and in that time we have been delighted with the progress and continuous growth. we are always trying to think of new ideas to improve things to give you the very best community experience possible. as this community is all about YOU, the users, we have decided to ask for some of your suggestions on how to improve things. what we want to know is... would you like to see any new forum discussion groups/ boards / categorises (or whatever you like to call them!) ?? please post all your ideas and suggestions here and i will seriously consider implementing the best ones. (ssshh - we might even give out a few prizes ) so tell me what would you like to see? ...together we can make things better
    Posted by Sky_Rich
    The "Strategy" section is currently a mix of poker tips AND hand analysis and i think it should be split up. There should be a separate "Hand analysis" section with subsections to it for "Cash", "Tournaments" & "SNG'S".

How about a "Winners hall" section. Daily updates of the winners of the main 8pm tournament & other important ones from the night before.

Have a "competition" section, use it for caption comp and all other comps.

I do think that there should not be too many headings as otherwise some will be ignored.

Get rid of "The shed", people can just post under "General" 
    Get rid of "Sky poker tv channel", most comments for this are put under "General" and nobody posts there.
    Get rid of "community suggestions", people just post under "General"
    Get rid of "Area 51", not used and one heading too many.
    Put "Sky poker tour" as a sub heading to "Sky poker announcements".

Ed
  • edited November 2009
    I'd also prefer LESS "sections" and MORE threads showing on a page
  • edited November 2009
    maybe sport?There have been a lot of sport posts in the shed recently so it would be quite poular imo.
  • edited November 2009
    Why not have a section for all the 'chat banned' players. You could put their names up and we could all wind them up with complete impunity as they would not be able to answer back lol.
  • edited November 2009
    How about a 'hide thread' icon, where players can hide any threads from the forum page that they have no interest in. Or how about a 'favourite threads' icon so players can put the ones they wish to contribute to in one place, no matter where in the forum the thread is located
  • edited November 2009
    i just post the disscussions i want to talk about and have people talk about.
  • edited November 2009
    How about a 'hide thread' icon, where players can hide any threads from the forum page that they have no interest in. Or how about a 'favourite threads' icon so players can put the ones they wish to contribute to in one place, no matter where in the forum the thread is located
    Posted by loonytoons
    genius!
  • edited November 2009
    Hi,
    As a really new member i am finding it confusing.
    I do think it could do with tidying up abit and many of the other posts have suggested alot of the things that would make life easier on here.
    A index page ( home page) initially with links to different options
    New members intro page
    Competition page
    Ask presenter page
    Blog page
    Random posts page
    closed posts
    and so on....I know there is prob a lot but a index page might make it easier to find specific links, because i think personaly its a little all over the place, & i spend alot of time going backwards and forwards.

Amanda xx
  • edited November 2009
    The idea of an index is a good one.
    Splitting the catagories into seperate topics would be a lot easier to navigate.
    There are parts of the forum which could be deleted completely and sub-catagories put in the main forum.
    I always look for the newest discussion when I enter the forum and they are always near the top of the page which makes things easier.
    The forum would have to be closely regulated as always to make sure discussions where placed in the right catagory.
  • edited November 2009
    Hi, As a really new member i am finding it confusing. I do think it could do with tidying up abit and many of the other posts have suggested alot of the things that would make life easier on here. A index page ( home page) initially with links to different options New members intro page Competition page Ask presenter page Blog page Random posts page closed posts and so on....I know there is prob a lot but a index page might make it easier to find specific links, because i think personaly its a little all over the place, & i spend alot of time going backwards and forwards. Amanda xx
    Posted by borobabe09
    To be fair, if i was running a forum, i would want people to look at the whole forum, so i would make it all over the place,so to find what ur looking for involves visiting different parts of the forum. The same works for supermarkets, the bread, milk and other everyday items are always at the back so you have to pass everything to get to them, and maybe buy other items you never really thought about lol
  • edited November 2009
    I have just thought of a new area, its called

"Whats the password?"

With the threads that get started every week with this comment it just HAS to be an instant hit.
  • edited November 2009
    Hi Rich I think that one has already started in Ask tikay, so what about a board called "Talk to tikay" where it is possible to ask tikay about a variety of subjects including, but not just poker, it seems to have taken off already, so a board of its own would seem to be a good idea, and hopefully, new visitors/players would feel able to ask questions.
    Posted by acebarry10
    you could also ask him about train and bus timetables in london and films about trains too ... burt lancaster's film ' the train " is an office favourite i hear ;)
  • edited November 2009
    hi Guys,

thanks for all the great posts and ideas. i will make a more in-depth reply soon.

i noticed a post from borobabe that i just wanted to quickly expand upon.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a couple of the things you mention are already in place...

the community homepage can be found here or by clicking on the left hand menu link 'community' . from here you can find all the links you need to explore each area of the community.

you particularly mention a blog page: which can be found by clicking here or navigating to from the community homepage.

i hope this helps!
  • edited November 2009
    I have just thought of a new area, its called                                              "Whats the password?" With the threads that get started every week with this comment it just HAS to be an instant hit.
    Posted by Kiwini4u
    I think this is a really good idea, however I think it should be expanded a little bit so that if a freeroll tourney requires a password then there should be something to explain what the qualifying criteria is. 

As an example, the super six freeroll - Whilst this is free for anyone to play there should be something to explain how to obtain the password in the correct way rather than just asking for it
  • edited November 2009
    hi Guys, thanks for all the great posts and ideas. i will make a more in-depth reply soon. i noticed a post from borobabe that i just wanted to quickly expand upon. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- a couple of the things you mention are already in place... the community homepage can be found here or by clicking on the left hand menu link 'community' . from here you can find all the links you need to explore each area of the community. you particularly mention a blog page: which can be found by clicking here or navigating to from the community homepage. i hope this helps!
    Posted by Sky_Rich
    How do u actually make your own blogs though?
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: your ideas for new forum discussion groups : How do u actually make your own blogs though?
    Posted by Deadluck
    every couple of months we start a thread asking which users would like to write their own blogs. we then select 3 or 4 based on their community contributions and they are given around 6 weeks to blog.

we will be selecting the next batch around December/ January time so if you fancy it make sure you register your interest on the relevant thread (when it is started)

hope that helps,

Rich
  • edited November 2009
    What about a "sky sort of ebay"  ...Sky get 10% of the rake ...jobs a gooden ...Now sky can offer a few more freerolls that are FREE ..in the true sense of the WORD ...FREEEEEEEEEEEE !