You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What to do? nl100 - 270bb deep

edited July 2012 in The Poker Clinic
bet flop call river.

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Position   Name   Stack
    UTG      $268.67 (268.7 bb)
    MP      $100.58 (100.6 bb)
    CO Hero    $484.58 (484.6 bb)
    BTN      $260 (260 bb)
    SB      $100 (100 bb)
    BB      $115.32 (115.3 bb)
    Preflop: Hero is CO with Kh Kc
    UTG raises to $3, MP calls $3, Hero raises to $14, 3 folds, UTG calls $11, MP folds

Flop: ($32.50) Tc 8c 5h (2 players)
    UTG checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($32.50) Kd (2 players)
    UTG checks, Hero bets $22, UTG calls $22

River: ($76.50) As (2 players)
    UTG checks, Hero bets $54, UTG raises to $157, Hero  ????

Not much info on opponent but seems tight and decent. I considered call, fold and raise!!!, then ruled out raise, he prob wont call with worse sets or two pair and never checks two street with a set anyway.

So call or fold?, can never see him bluffing here.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: What to do?:
    bet flop call river.
    Posted by AMYBR
    Wanted to pot control on flop, because we were so deep.
    Also might make him put more money in with nothing. Dont know if its good or bad.
  • edited June 2012
    I guess qj got there on river.

Hard to put him on aces from pre flop betting.

I'm calling here hoping he has lower set.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: What to do? : Wanted to pot control on flop, because we were so deep. Also might make him put more money in with nothing. Dont know if its good or bad.
    Posted by Spad3s
    Really not a spot for pot control IMO.

• edited June 2012
    Only two hands beating you with AA and QJ. QJ is pretty loose call to make to a 3bet pre when OOP, and AA i guess would depend if he is tricky player as normally would expect a 4bet pre. So think fold is out of the question with only 2 hands ahead of us and he could quite possibly have AK here or even A10, though less likely again OOP.

I agree he isn't likely bluffing, but think it would be a tad weak to fold a set with only two hands beating us. So call and don't raise and hope its not just a crying call vs a tricky AA or QJ suited or something.

Also, as a side note. I'm not checking the flop for pot control really. Bet the flop and check the turn maybe if he calls on a board like that, ut I'd rather get my value on flop and information about just how strong UTG is at the same time. After all he would expect a cbet, so I don't mind going with it. After all really we should be prepared to get it all in preflop with KK, so not sure I love the idea of pot control on a flop unless its wildly wet across his likely range.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: What to do? : Really not a spot for pot control IMO.
    Posted by AMYBR
    Maybe not.

But my thinking was, if he check raises me and then starts leading other streets Im going to be guessing in a very big pot. He could have air, big draws, two pair or sets and Im clueless.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: What to do? nl100 - 270bb deep:
    After all really we should be prepared to get it all in preflop with KK, so not sure I love the idea of pot control on a flop unless its wildly wet across his likely range.
    Posted by KAM99
    Would be a lot of strength preflop to have money go allin I think.
    270 bb deep, my 3bet against his utg raise shows strength, but if he 4bets me he looks really strong.
    A five bet by me looks massive, he would want to have some big reads on me to 6bet allin with ak or qq or bluffs.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: What to do? nl100 - 270bb deep : Would be a lot of strength preflop to have money go allin I think. 270 bb deep, my 3bet against his utg raise shows strength, but if he 4bets me he looks really strong. A five bet by me looks massive, he would want to have some big reads on me to 6bet allin with ak or qq or bluffs.
    Posted by Spad3s
    Just meant in normal situation you'd be happy to get it in pre with KK. As he called your 3bet pre what range of hands we putting him on? Really unlikely its a small PP though deep as you are it is possible I guess. More likely is higher PP of 1010+ or AQ+ with maybe on odd occasions suited connectors trying to gut an over pair. So on that basis I don't see an issue with betting the flop. Sure he might C/R, but he might call or fold too, and he could do the same on the turn as well. So not sure I see a desperate need to be pot controlling the flop, but each to their own method when it comes to that I guess, as I know some people prefer to play a small pot with only a pair, even if its overpair.

Surprised you say you didn't have much info on him, as by your stack I assume you been on the table a while, as its 100NL right? So unless its deep stack he has got up over 1.5 buyins, so unless he just got big pot early I'd assume he had been sat with you a little while?
  • edited June 2012
    As he called your 3bet pre what range of hands we putting him on? Really unlikely its a small PP though deep as you are it is possible I guess. More likely is higher PP of 1010+ or AQ+ with maybe on odd occasions suited connectors trying to gut an over pair.
    Posted by KAM99
    I think he has a lot more. Id put be putting him on any pp,  suited connectors, at+, some hands like 79s 69s kts etc and the odd random hand.

I think pocket pairs are the most likely.
    Surprised you say you didn't have much info on him, as by your stack I assume you been on the table a while, as its 100NL right? So unless its deep stack he has got up over 1.5 buyins, so unless he just got big pot early I'd assume he had been sat with you a little while?
    Posted by KAM99
    Yeah, youre right, its only a 100bb table and he had been there a while!, but hadnt played much with him and had 10 other tables open.

Wasnt paying enough attention.
  • edited June 2012
    Sigh just typed long response but went up in smoke.

So again....

I'd be like puh leeze c/r me here :p Even more so if the dynamic suggests we might get this action.

What draws and 2pr hands are there on the flop to pot control vs bud?  Only hand we have to worry about are sets and A's.  If its A's its just Myeh w/e nh.  Air has 2 live outs for whopping 13% off flop.

Just simplify the hand bud.  No need to make it complicated.  On river its just far too nitty to check back 2nd set.  So we pretty much have to bet.  So ok we get c/r'd, but without a ridic soulread we are never folding so its an obv call, never a raise (99% of time).  Win or lose, mostly optimum. 

Only thing wrong is checking flop.  Just lose so much value vs OP's 10x hands and floats.

FWIW dont agree that hand is always AA JQ, think as board runs out there will be a few confused 2pr hands, weaker sets and bluffs.  The river c/r is whats kinda polarising to obv top of his range and bluffs.  Forget hero folding, just pay it off and know that some of the time we are beat, most of the time we are winning vs    terribad ------+ Mercier range of players :p
  • edited June 2012
    Sigh just typed long response but went up in smoke. So again.... I'd be like puh leeze c/r me here :p Even more so if the dynamic suggests we might get this action. What draws and 2pr hands are there on the flop to pot control vs bud?  Only hand we have to worry about are sets and A's.  If its A's its just Myeh w/e nh.  Air has 2 live outs for whopping 13% off flop. Just simplify the hand bud.  No need to make it complicated.  On river its just far too nitty to check back 2nd set.  So we pretty much have to bet.  So ok we get c/r'd, but without a ridic soulread we are never folding so its an obv call, never a raise (99% of time).  Win or lose, mostly optimum.  Only thing wrong is checking flop.  Just lose so much value vs OP's 10x hands and floats. FWIW dont agree that hand is always AA JQ, think as board runs out there will be a few confused 2pr hands, weaker sets and bluffs.  The river c/r is whats kinda polarising to obv top of his range and bluffs.  Forget hero folding, just pay it off and know that some of the time we are beat, most of the time we are winning vs    terribad ------+ Mercier range of players :p
    Posted by AMYBR
    I wont always pot control on the flop, 100bb deep Ill prob cbet most of the time.
    But, this deep I will mix it up a bit more. Wouldnt say either is wrong myself as long as your mixing it up.

Anyway, if we do cbet flop and he check raises I wouldnt be delighted myself....whats next?.
    Id have to continue carefully. Obviously we are still beating a lot of his hands, but our hand wont improve most of the time and we could be behind as it is.
  • edited June 2012
    Then we are behind and going broke vs set or A's no big change.  Other than pot is now bigger and we get stacks in easier on later street.  Sure we are going to be behind some of the time, but far from most of the time.

If you hadnt lost this hand I doubt you'd be so glass is half empty :p

UL :p
  • edited June 2012
    Then we are behind and going broke vs set or A's no big change.  Other than pot is now bigger and we get stacks in easier on later street.  Sure we are going to be behind some of the time, but far from most of the time. If you hadnt lost this hand I doubt you'd be so glass is half empty :p UL :p
    Posted by AMYBR
    Im not happy at all playing for stacks with kk here.
    If all the money does go allin by the river and I still have just the overpair, Im rarely ahead.

100bb I will be delighted to get all the money in....but stack sizes changes situation a lot from my perspective.
    Results in this hand are irrelevant to me.
  • edited June 2012
    Generally true, but checking flop makes very little sense resulting in a bit of a mess on river following having stone cold nuts @ turn

We let a card come off for free HU with overpair on dry flop.

We turn the nuts, but our bet is now less than half what it ought to be after passive flop line.

River is ugly.

Just say he had A's.  How much value would we lose?

Why are we playing this hand so scared?
  • edited June 2012
    Generally true, but checking flop makes very little sense resulting in a bit of a mess on river following having stone cold nuts @ turn We let a card come off for free HU with overpair on dry flop. We turn the nuts, but our bet is now less than half what it ought to be after passive flop line. River is ugly. Just say he had A's.  How much value would we lose? Why are we playing this hand so scared?
    Posted by AMYBR
    That we turn the nuts isnt really relevant because its only one possible outcome.
    There are many turns that checking flop will save us money on.

Giving him one hand like aa is a bit silly too I think. But if he had AA we made a good play on the flop because we checked behind when we were behind :)
  • edited June 2012
    bet flop 100% as u 3 bet
    checking flop just looks like you have a hand, I mean why would you 3 bet bluff and then check flop

call river, wouldn't be surprised to see lower set's - even though oppo c/c on turn is leaning towards draws

btw oppo never has AA here, surely pre flop it's a 4bet unless dynamic between you states otherwise - gonna see a 4 bet pre w/AA this deep like 99% of the time :s
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: What to do? nl100 - 270bb deep : That we turn the nuts isnt really relevant because its only one possible outcome. There are many turns that checking flop will save us money on. Giving him one hand like aa is a bit silly too I think. But if he had AA we made a good play on the flop because we checked behind when we were behind :)
    Posted by Spad3s
    Assuming were behind on the flop ftw.

Wasnt giving one hand, however only beaten by two on river.

I think the result is colouring your perspective.  May as well have flatted pre and checked behind every street with this mentality.

Am out.
  • edited June 2012
    i dont mind checking back flop this deep, i think i prefer this line tbh

the reasons why i think i prefer it..

*we are playing very deep and dont think we will get 3 streets from worse often enough. 

*dont really need to protect vs UTG raise calling range.. (only to an ace)

*when we only think we can get two streets of value, a good veiw i have is that when the board is dry vs their range we should get the last 2 streets for value. providing were not scared of to many turn and dont need to protect this often allows us to get value from alot worse hands. if the board is wet and draw heavy we should go for the 1st two streets for value.

in this hand the flop is dry vs a standard UTG calling range, as i mentioned i like the check back for the reasons above, gin on the turn so clear value bet... and on the river i puke wen i get raised cos we have to value bet.. he's only reppin JQ cant see him having anythin else apart from air but how often are we gonna expect him to take this line with air..?? not very often
    the only thing i would look at is his player type and how he thinks about the game.. do i think he would call JQ on the turn having only invested $14...? 

actually both bad a good players would call turn i spose.. a thinkin player would call this with JQ as, obv he can win with the outs but also he's thinking mayb be 'well if a A does come, i get the lot' as AK aces and KK are in our 3bet range. also bluff outs with clubs.. as played i think i call if its a decent thinking player and fold if its a normaly TAG.. this may sound like jibberish cos as writing i have debates with myself but keep on writing haha

appologies if it dont make sense..!!

• edited June 2012
    bet flop 100% as u 3 bet checking flop just looks like you have a hand, I mean why would you 3 bet bluff and then check flop call river, wouldn't be surprised to see lower set's - even though oppo c/c on turn is leaning towards draws btw oppo never has AA here, surely pre flop it's a 4bet unless dynamic between you states otherwise - gonna see a 4 bet pre w/AA this deep like 99% of the time :s
    Posted by rancid

betting 100% of the time in a 3bet pot is a big leak.. it depends how well balanced u are, but depending on history and dynamics i would never be betting 100% in a 3bet pot.. especially this deep..
  • edited June 2012
    i dont mind checking back flop this deep, i think i prefer this line tbh the reasons why i think i prefer it.. *we are playing very deep and dont think we will get 3 streets from worse often enough.  *dont really need to protect vs UTG raise calling range.. (only to an ace) *when we only think we can get two streets of value, a good veiw i have is that when the board is dry vs their range we should get the last 2 streets for value. providing were not scared of to many turn and dont need to protect this often allows us to get value from alot worse hands. if the board is wet and draw heavy we should go for the 1st two streets for value. in this hand the flop is dry vs a standard UTG calling range, as i mentioned i like the check back for the reasons above, gin on the turn so clear value bet... and on the river i puke wen i get raised cos we have to value bet.. he's only reppin JQ cant see him having anythin else apart from air but how often are we gonna expect him to take this line with air..?? not very often the only thing i would look at is his player type and how he thinks about the game.. do i think he would call JQ on the turn having only invested $14...?  actually both bad a good players would call turn i spose.. a thinkin player would call this with JQ as, obv he can win with the outs but also he's thinking mayb be 'well if a A does come, i get the lot' as AK aces and KK are in our 3bet range. also bluff outs with clubs.. as played i think i call if its a decent thinking player and fold if its a normaly TAG.. this may sound like jibberish cos as writing i have debates with myself but keep on writing haha appologies if it dont make sense..!!
    Posted by LnarinOO
    You seem to be on the same page as me.

I didnt really think too much about check on the flop, I think cbet and check both have their merits. Interesting that many would cbet 100 percent of the time here.

But was really wondering if river could be a fold, even though it looks like an obvious call.
    I couldnt put him on a lower set too often, unlikely when he checked flop and turn. A lot of players wouldnt even raise with the lower set anyway, may feel only better will continue.
    I couldnt see him raising with two pair because he would not see me continueing with any worse.
    Would be a really odd bluff.

In the end I called reluctantly, feeling sure he had jq.
    Kind of ruled out AA due to preflop play and check on flop and turn. But, he had AA.

• edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: What to do? nl100 - 270bb deep : You seem to be on the same page as me. I didnt really think too much about check on the flop, I think cbet and check both have their merits. Interesting that many would cbet 100 percent of the time here. But was really wondering if river could be a fold, even though it looks like an obvious call. I couldnt put him on a lower set too often, unlikely when he checked flop and turn. A lot of players wouldnt even raise with the lower set anyway, may feel only better will continue. I couldnt see him raising with two pair because he would not see me continueing with any worse. Would be a really odd bluff. In the end I called reluctantly, feeling sure he had jq. Kind of ruled out AA due to preflop play and check on flop and turn. But, he had AA.
    Posted by Spad3s
    makes sense pre i spose, doesnt want to fold out the lower pairs of your 3bet range, 100bb deep obv he 4bet gets it in but played well by him tbh
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: What to do? nl100 - 270bb deep : betting 100% of the time in a 3bet pot is a big leak.. it depends how well balanced u are, but depending on history and dynamics i would never be betting 100% in a 3bet pot.. especially this deep..
    Posted by LnarinOO

really, intresting - after we 3 bet then what hands would we check flop with - what are the reasons for checking flop in a 3 bet pot

also why is flatting with AA this deep good play, surely the deeper we are the more we want to put in pre

pot controlling with these hands pre/flop just seems really strange

maybe it's just me but it seems a bit odd to 3 bet pre and then check flop, may aswell wave a flag above your head and shout "I have a hand"

suppose they both playing very deceptive, only plus point I can see from this example

plus I think this deep, implied hands alwasy  come along to 3/4 bet

• edited June 2012
    Its not just you ranny, lot of backward logic here imo.

Cant think of 1 real reason to check that flop IP.

Hero's logic is based on fact he didnt want to build a big pot, reinforced by fact oppo had A's.  Playing hand putting oppo on maybe 2 nut hands on flop, then we have the stone cold nuts on turn which is irrelevant apparently, then two better nut hands on river.......

Forgetting that though:  Dynamic lvling war pre 6betaipf snap call sigh.......fist pump                 ........              ..   ....  .............................    ...sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :p
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: What to do? nl100 - 270bb deep : really, intresting - after we 3 bet then what hands would we check flop with - what are the reasons for checking flop in a 3 bet pot also why is flatting with AA this deep good play, surely the deeper we are the more we want to put in pre pot controlling with these hands pre/flop just seems really strange maybe it's just me but it seems a bit odd to 3 bet pre and then check flop, may aswell wave a flag above your head and shout "I have a hand" suppose they both playing very deceptive, only plus point I can see from this example plus I think this deep, implied hands alwasy  come along to 3/4 bet
    Posted by rancid
    I would just about always 4bet there too with aa, especially since were out of position. Unless the other guy in pot was fishy and I wanted to keep him in.

But the check on flop is pot control....we dont want to play for 270bb stacks with just overpair and the opponent is not going to give us three streets  with much that we beat. Not only that but he could take make us fold on turn or river when we are still beating him. Not sure whats strange.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: What to do? nl100 - 270bb deep : I would just about always 4bet there too with aa, especially since were out of position. Unless the other guy in pot was fishy and I wanted to keep him in. But the check on flop is pot control....we dont want to play for 270bb stacks with just overpair and the opponent is not going to give us three streets  with much that we beat. Not only that but he could take make us fold on turn or river when we are still beating him. Not sure whats strange.
    Posted by Spad3s
    Still don't get the pot control with KK on that flop, tons of hands give us value here and who said we have to play for 270bb effective. Why can't we get three streets of value, more is better than less :s
    Think of how much value we lose versus all other hands.
    Because oppo has AA, it would seem your justifying what a good play it was to be honest

• edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: What to do? nl100 - 270bb deep : really, intresting - after we 3 bet then what hands would we check flop with - what are the reasons for checking flop in a 3 bet pot also why is flatting with AA this deep good play, surely the deeper we are the more we want to put in pre pot controlling with these hands pre/flop just seems really strange maybe it's just me but it seems a bit odd to 3 bet pre and then check flop, may aswell wave a flag above your head and shout "I have a hand" suppose they both playing very deceptive, only plus point I can see from this example plus I think this deep, implied hands alwasy  come along to 3/4 bet
    Posted by rancid
    just because we 3bet pre doesnt mean we have to cbet weather we hit or miss.. dependant on the board texture and our hand strenth vs oppos range, dynamics and villains tendancies will be the deciding factors.. specific to this hand i would prefer to get last 2 streets as the flop is dry, this will get us more value from worse imo, im use to playing with a HUD so i would no how often villians call cbet in a 3bet pot, calls twice 3bet pot, folds flop in 3bet pot.. this is irrelevant on here as u cannot have HUD but u still should have a good feel for villains tendancies
    i dont think ppl maxmise value enough in hands and it's only saying 'i have a massive hand' if your not balanced.. 

and as for playing AA like this, how can you not say it wasnt played well LOL.. why would he want to 4bet and turn his hand face up?? rather than try to get value from worse or crushed hands.. again ppl not maximising value in a given situation where they would jus let someone 3bet fold JJ QQ AQ.. 

100bb deep YES 4bet AA and get money in asap.. 300bb deep why 4bet? ppl will 3bet ridic wide ranges and call 4bets jus to outplay u because its deep enough to do so.. this is not backward logic.!! rethink youown imo..

• edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: What to do? nl100 - 270bb deep : Still don't get the pot control with KK on that flop, tons of hands give us value here and who said we have to play for 270bb effective. Why can't we get three streets of value, more is better than less :s Think of how much value we lose versus all other hands. Because oppo has AA, it would seem your justifying what a good play it was to be honest
    Posted by rancid
    ur not understanding here..!! what hand is gonna call us down flop turn and river that we beat..??
    A10..?? how often do one pair hand get 3 streets from worse, not that often most ppl no how to fold nowadays..! 
    vs utg calling range, Ax, pairs and broadway... we bet th flop like u say.. get called by Axcc, some pairs, and all hands better, then cbet a good turn card.. worse pairs wil mostly fold giving us only 1 street of value, draws still come and better hands come.. if the river bricks better hands have always been ahead and draws fold but what value do we get ???? not alot

im not saying we check back flop all the time but on dry boards and deep i see this a a better line..

jus my opinion  tho
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: What to do? nl100 - 270bb deep : just because we 3bet pre doesnt mean we have to cbet weather we hit or miss.. dependant on the board texture and our hand strenth vs oppos range, dynamics and villains tendancies will be the deciding factors.. specific to this hand i would prefer to get last 2 streets as the flop is dry, this will get us more value from worse imo, im use to playing with a HUD so i would no how often villians call cbet in a 3bet pot, calls twice 3bet pot, folds flop in 3bet pot.. this is irrelevant on here as u cannot have HUD but u still should have a good feel for villains tendancies i dont think ppl maxmise value enough in hands and it's only saying 'i have a massive hand' if your not balanced..  and as for playing AA like this, how can you not say it wasnt played well LOL.. why would he want to 4bet and turn his hand face up?? rather than try to get value from worse or crushed hands.. again ppl not maximising value in a given situation where they would jus let someone 3bet fold JJ QQ AQ..  100bb deep YES 4bet AA and get money in asap.. 300bb deep why 4bet? ppl will 3bet ridic wide ranges and call 4bets jus to outplay u because its deep enough to do so.. this is not backward logic.!! rethink youown imo..
    Posted by LnarinOO
    I understand  the logic of deception to maximise value from worse
    Just think this is very transparent play to 3 bet pre and check flop - I still think you can just bet/bet/bet and still maximise from worse

The whole hand is just a cooler, would have more intresting if no K on turn or A on river

Would seem to me that playing this way is playing scared of being outplayed or not having the best hand

• edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: What to do? nl100 - 270bb deep : I understand  the logic of deception to maximise value from worse Just think this is very transparent play to 3 bet pre and check flop - I still think you can just bet/bet/bet and still maximise from worse The whole hand is just a cooler, would have more intresting if no K on turn or A on river Would seem to me that playing this way is playing scared of being outplayed or not having the best hand
    Posted by rancid

So what if we bet flop, and he check raises. Yes were calling. But what if he bets turn.....then river....

All of a sudden we are playing a massive pot and we are guessing where were at. He could have a set, he could have draws, he could have air and we dont know what turn or river cards are good for us...our hand rarely improves on turn or river.

The check is to stop us getting into these tricky spots, possibly folding the best hand or having to pay off a massive pot with just kk.

We also get good value from hands we beat, with river and turn bets.
  • edited June 2012
    *grunch*

wp. I would lean towards folding because of the raise size. Lower sets usually would lead or raise turn and his raise on the river doesnt really suggest AK to me.