You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What to do? nl100 - 270bb deep

2»

Comments

• edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: What to do? nl100 - 270bb deep:
    *grunch* wp. I would lean towards folding because of the raise size. Lower sets usually would lead or raise turn and his raise on the river doesnt really suggest AK to me.
    Posted by offshoot
    Yeah, the more I look, I think it should have been a fold. Cant see any hand hes raising for value that I beat the way the hand played. And can never see him bluff there.

Was one of those I couldnt bring myself to click fold with.
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: What to do? nl100 - 270bb deep : So what if we bet flop, and he check raises. Yes were calling. But what if he bets turn.....then river.... All of a sudden we are playing a massive pot and we are guessing where were at. He could have a set, he could have draws, he could have air and we dont know what turn or river cards are good for us...our hand rarely improves on turn or river. The check is to stop us getting into these tricky spots, possibly folding the best hand or having to pay off a massive pot with just kk. We also get good value from hands we beat, with river and turn bets.
    Posted by Spad3s
    I see why u check behind now, but if oppo has set then we face c/r on turn or donk lead anyway - does it make it easier to get away from as oppo doesn't c/r or lead turn w/draws
    If oppo has worse, do we end up loosing value from one street though :S

nh
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: What to do? nl100 - 270bb deep : I see why u check behind now, but if oppo has set then we face c/r on turn or donk lead anyway - does it make it easier to get away from as oppo doesn't c/r or lead turn w/draws If oppo has worse, do we end up loosing value from one street though :S nh
    Posted by rancid

I would expect him to donk lead turn a lot, with all kinds of hands, value, air and draws. We can just call because raising makes no sense....then call pretty much any river expecting to win most of the time.

If he check raises I think it looks very strong, Id  call and then decide on river based on how much he bets.
  • edited July 2012
    Still seems a bit daft to me tbh.  We talk of pot control yet still find 200bigs across the line on river.  Plus if we had such a strong read in hand there is just no way we ought to be opening river, seems very counter intuitive.

We are beat here on flop and river, but hold the nuts on the turn, which really isnt immaterial.  All I think we achieve is to lose value over volume.
  • edited July 2012
    Still seems a bit daft to me tbh.  We talk of pot control yet still find 200bigs across the line on river. 
    Posted by AMYBR
    Well, obviously more money was going in when I hit the set......but if I had folded river like a felt I should 200 bbs wouldnt have gone in I suppose.

Plus if we had such a strong read in hand there is just no way we ought to be opening river, seems very counter intuitive.
    Posted by AMYBR

What read is this now, I was obviously pretty confident I was ahead when I opened the river......once he raises of course that changes my read on the situation.

We are beat here on flop and river, but hold the nuts on the turn, which really isnt immaterial.  All I think we achieve is to lose value over volume.
    Posted by AMYBR
    Not sure what youre trying to say here.
  • edited July 2012
    call as he only going to call a raise with aces or a straight. but i would have c bet on flop
  • edited July 2012
    I'm in the pot control on flop camp, think this was well played. Barring the cooler you'ld have been congratulating yourself for losing minimum.

• edited July 2012
    I'm in the pot control on flop camp, think this was well played. Barring the cooler you'ld have been congratulating yourself for losing minimum.
    Posted by simonnatur
    Pot controlling with KK here is crazy. 
  • edited July 2012
    Posted by simonnatur
    The remaining significant portion of volume we are obv annoyed at ourselves for losing value IMO.

I do see where you are coming from opting to go for some pot control so deep, but its simply not a choice I personally would make.  But even if I were to, the flop would not be the street I would elect to do so.

I'd be looking to generate a big pot vs fellow deep stack with K's, rather than going into the hand being afraid to do so.

Cant really look at this hand in isolation.  If we play this set up 10000 /> times we are just burning money (obv with oppo holdings and T & R varied.)
  • edited July 2012
    I ignored this thread because when I spotted it, it already had about 20 responses. Having read it I'm left with one question in my mind for you Spades:

Did you think you had the best hand on the flop?

Pot controlling with the best hand would seem bad to me. In this spot - I've 3-bet pre-flop, been called and the flop has come down Ten-high with a flush draw - I would be fairly convinced that my hand was best. Apart from sets I can't see any hand that beats me, as AA is very rarely going to be in my opponent's range.

I'm reading talk of "Three streets of value". I wouldn't be thinking about that. I would be thinking about what hands are going to call me on the flop. What hands am I getting value from on the flop? I have one-pair, not a monster that I know is always going to be the best hand on the river, but I believe it's the best hand now. If it's the best hand now and money goes into the pot, that's good for me. The turn could change things and then I might have to change tack, but right now getting money in is good.

Value bet your hand when it figures to be ahead. You can get called by flush draws, AT, KT, QT, JT, 9T. These hands haven't called a pre-flop 3-bet to just fold top-pair or a flush draw to a standard c-bet.

You might be check-raised but it's up to you to figure out what hands are doing that. I'd suggest there would be more Tens and Flush draws in his check-raising range than hands that beat us. That's going to make it fairly easy to play subsequent streets - Clubs are bad for us, bricks are good. Of course, if he fires on blank turns and again on blank rivers, then perhaps we can assign him a stronger made hand anyway.

So, I'm c-betting this flop and, if I would c-bet it with all of my pre-flop bluffing hands, I think it is a mistake to not c-bet it.

On the river his range is so polarised. You're getting roughly 2/1 on your money, so is a third of his range a bluff or an overvalued and strangely played underset or two-pair? I'm going to avoid answering that as I think it's close and fairly player dependent, though I would hardly even spare a thought for a set of Aces as it was played so atypically...

Incidentally, to whoever it was that thought that the guy with the Aces played it well I would simply point out that the way he played it he could have been sat looking at top set on the river with only 32BB in the pot. What makes it worse is that his opponent has KK. This hand should have been a cooler in his favour. Across your poker career you don't make money from coolers but if you don't get fully paid when it goes in your favour, you can lose money from these coolers. This guy is going to lose money.
  • edited July 2012
    If you think its a mistake not to cbet your gonna get a shock when you play against anyone competent because its ridiculously easy to take advantage of people who cbet here.

If i raise your cbet 100% of the time how many hands are you willing to stack off with?
  • edited July 2012
    BorinLoner....to answer the question.
    Do I think I had best hand on flop....more then likely.

But poker, for me at least is not as simple as betting evertyime its likely you may have the best hand. This deep my hand is very vulnerable, it rarely improves and he has many hands which are at least 50/50 against me and can improve.
    For example, if he has 9c, jc although my hand is best right now, he is 56 percent favourite to win the hand.
    If he has ac qc hes 46 percent.
    If he has jh, 9h hes 36 but imporotantly if he hits Im letft guessing a bit.

On top of that he could already have me beat with two pair or sets. So you see this is the exact kind of hand you want to pot control with. You are rarely getting stacks in unless your beat and an overpair is hardly a hand I want to put in 270 bb.

If he raises me with anything Im going to be guessing what he has. He could very easily get away with taking me off hand with air.

Logic of many people doesnt make sense to me but an interesting thread.
  • edited July 2012

I think it's a mistake not to c-bet when we can be called by worse. Now, I'm not saying it's a massive problem to check behind, as we're likely to only get one street of value (maybe two) from anything we're beating anyway, but what do we want to do when the turn is a club or an Ace? Do we still get value from a bare Ten? Do we still get value from a flush draw if the turn is a blank? If you're check-raised you've got to ask yourself what he's doing that with and that's going to be alot of flush draws and J9, maybe JJ, as well as possible sets and an unlikely 8T.

I'm going to c-bet this flop and then whether I get it in is going to be dependent on my image and on what hands I think my opponent will expect me to have. If he thinks I'm super-tight, then I'm less enjoying getting it in on this flop, though I'd still probably get it in. If he has a set or it's a flip, then so be it. I wouldn't imagine that my opponents would see my c-bet as being super-strong so of course they're going to check-raise a fair amount.... but with KK, I'm beating that range.

The point is you can be called here by worse: Tens, possibly those straight and flush draws and maybe underpairs or an 8 can call. I'm not sure why the talk is exclusively of getting stacks in.

Offshoot, I'm sure you don't mean this, but your post seems to imply that you'd c-bet with bluffs but not strong made hands. There will be hands I don't c-bet but I don't think an overpair that I imagine to be good is one of those when I can see alot of hands that I can get value from. How exploitable are you going to be if you raise my c-bets 100% of the time?

Spad3s, I don't disagree that those hands are not brilliant for us but against his broader range I think a bet here is always going to be best. The only information we have is that they've called our pre-flop 3-bet and then checked the flop. Of course it's player dependent as to what hands are going to do that but against an unknown opponent I'm thinking mostly of hands like; AQ, AJ, KQ, KJ, KT, QJ, QT, JT, JJ, TT, 99 as well as possibly lower suited connectors and lower pairs. That's alot of hands. Only a few of them are we actually in bad shape against but many of them will put more money in now while they're behind.

Let me ask you another question or two; You check, the 3c hits on the turn and your opponent bets out. Are you just going to fold? If not, then you're giving a free card to a flush draw and then putting in money when you've gone behind. If you are folding, how easily are you being bluffed?

I assume you wouldn't fold but if you're willing to put money in after a third club has hit, then why not put it in before?

• edited July 2012
    THeres too many points there. I dont think we should check all the time. Im just saying to check is by no means bad and to say were losing value by checking is not neccessarily true.

• edited July 2012
    If you think its a mistake not to cbet your gonna get a shock when you play against anyone competent because its ridiculously easy to take advantage of people who cbet here. If i raise your cbet 100% of the time how many hands are you willing to stack off with?
    Posted by offshoot
    This was one of the reason I changed my mind that checking flop here is ok.
    By checking flop we essentially take away the c/r move on the flop and can continue extracting two streets of value from worse.

I gotta say though to check or to c bet flop would depend on oppo's tendacies and how capable they are.
    Think it would also depend how often your 3 betting pre and dynamics between you.
    The more capabele they are of c/r with bluffs through to sets, the more I like checking flop.

plus, it's a intresting dilema where you hear so much that to 3 bet is to then c bet.
    Even though we pick up pots with c bets in 3 bet pots, where we 3 bet light :S
    Doesnt' our checking range on flop become very transparent unless we delay c bet till turn in 3 bet pots some of the time.

• edited July 2012
    Too passive on flop and turn imo,  Bet Bet Shove, Your pot control line sounds more like scared money to me! what was your plan for the hand, check it to death?
  • edited July 2012
    This thread is huge, dunno why either lol, 

You cant expect UTG villain to have too much on this flop, seeing it was raise UTG/call, his range might look like QQ,JJ,AKo, AKs,1010,99,AA poss AQs,KQs, QJs so a few made hands but you have this range pretty crushed, so don't like to pot control here maybe a check to deceive my opponent is better line of thinking.

I would c bet flop here for value against his weaker part of his range, as he may call one street at least with ak, 99 etc

As played to the river, if you say he is decent then he should never have QJ here, but just as important on the flip side he would never expect you to have QJ, so he would happily jam his lower sets, top two etc for value thinking they're the nuts, esp since you check the flop and you do look like you are playing AK face up.

in this spot i call.
  • edited July 2012
    This thread is huge, dunno why either lol,  You cant expect UTG villain to have too much on this flop, seeing it was raise UTG/call, his range might look like QQ,JJ,AKo, AKs,1010,99,AA poss AQs,KQs, QJs so a few made hands but you have this range pretty crushed, so don't like to pot control here maybe a check to deceive my opponent is better line of thinking. I would c bet flop here for value against his weaker part of his range, as he may call one street at least with ak, 99 etc As played to the river, if you say he is decent then he should never have QJ here, but just as important on the flip side he would never expect you to have QJ, so he would happily jam his lower sets, top two etc for value thinking they're the nuts, esp since you check the flop and you do look like you are playing AK face up.  in this spot i call.
    Posted by WHOAMI196

Funny how divided people are on this.
    The point a lot of people seem to be missing is that its not always a case of checking is wrong and betting is right. Often either are correct options, each with their own merits.
    Still in this case, against a random unknown I personally prefer to check this flop most of the time. Its not that I play scared, its that I dont think this is a good spot to get stacks in with 270bb, so I have to slow it down somewhere, or I could face some decisions where Im guessing.

On river I did call the bet, but was one of those where I clicked fealing I should fold....prob should have folded I think. You may have a hard time seeing how he can have qj, but I have a hard time seeing how he can be betting there thinking he can get value out of a worse hand, without having me beat.
  • edited July 2012
    Feel like many people may be looking at this hand the same way they look at a 100bb pot..

Really like the answers Lnarin00 gave.

No offence to others in this thread who may well be big winners or w/e the advice of offshoot is always good quality although often short!

Its always only going to be a call at most, would need a decent sample size to know how often villian will raise rivers as a bluff, only real hand I can see him having that you beat is AK, 10's you would expect to lead turn, but then again maybe you'd expect AA to lead turn.
    Villian played his hand slyly, maybe you've been overly aggressive in 3bet pots that hes saw previously, so he took a cautious line so he doesn't get into a tough spot oop?
  • edited July 2012
    Its not to bet or check flop that is divisive, it is the reasoning behind it.

There are reasons to opt to check flop, but for pot control would be very close to the bottom of the list.
  • edited July 2012
    Its not to bet or check flop that is divisive, it is the reasoning behind it. There are reasons to opt to check flop, but for pot control would be very close to the bottom of the list.
    Posted by AMYBR
    This list sounds interesting. I can only guess you mean to be deceptive or keep worse hands in.
  • edited July 2012
    Its not just you ranny, lot of backward logic here imo. Cant think of 1 real reason to check that flop IP.
    Posted by AMYBR

Guess you have been doing some thinking bud :).
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: What to do? nl100 - 270bb deep : Funny how divided people are on this. The point a lot of people seem to be missing is that its not always a case of checking is wrong and betting is right. Often either are correct options, each with their own merits. Still in this case, against a random unknown I personally prefer to check this flop most of the time. Its not that I play scared, its that I dont think this is a good spot to get stacks in with 270bb, so I have to slow it down somewhere, or I could face some decisions where Im guessing. On river I did call the bet, but was one of those where I clicked fealing I should fold....prob should have folded I think. You may have a hard time seeing how he can have qj, but I have a hard time seeing how he can be betting there thinking he can get value out of a worse hand, without having me beat.
    Posted by Spad3s
    its all about the player, you could write an entire essay on why you should/shouldn't do this n that,but its useless if payer dynamic is not thought of, sometimes you have to just give it to him because he bluffs so much, or on the other hand if he is tight then the post flop play becomes easier in 3-bet pots and you can fold.

So without any player detail everyone's shooting pointlessly in the dark, just because you paid off an oppo here does not mean you made a bad call initially, it only becomes bad when you pay him off time and time again, i.e not correct enough of the time to justify a call. It does get tricky vs unknowns though.

BTW you make plays because they are the most profitable so make you the most money not in fear of tough decisions. Sometimes c-betting flops will gain you more control in the hand as a villains likely moves are call/fold, esp on this board being pretty dry, you can then check the turn for pot control so when it comes to the river the villain has only one shot at making a play, making life easy. By checking the flop you are allowing the villain to take the lead on the turn(and river) and be aggressive making life harder if you are unsure where you are in the hand.

• edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: What to do? nl100 - 270bb deep : Guess you have been doing some thinking bud :).
    Posted by Spad3s
    No, personally I still cant given my playing style..  Mainly as my c-bet % is so high I expect to get called by ALOT worse on all streets, that being the point.

And as already pointed out, my mentality in hand would be fundamentaly different: being aiming to build a large pot rather than fearing to.  I'm just happy to shoot for value being quite aware of my table image.  So I do not see a point checking flop as pot control at all.

But yes looking at others opinions and different playing styles I guess we could find other reasons to check flop, but why bother when the capacity/potential to get called/raised by far worse is so high, when we have cultivated the appropriate image?  Individuals with a lower cbet % likely lose value and are in danger of showing hand range face up.  Question simply becomes which range of hands are we more often facing?  The 2 made hands through streets that crush us plus a flush draw (which we can get some value from IP, esp when c/r'd on flop), or a wider range of hands that we comfortably build a pot against through streets. 

The fact that oppo shows up with A's here is immaterial.  I dont think hand should be looked at in isolation, should be looked at as how would play over a larger sample obv.

Odd mentality for posting a hand......
  • edited July 2012
    Odd mentality for posting a hand......
    Posted by AMYBR

I guess Im glad you can now see reasons to check.

Not sure what mentality you mean.
  • edited July 2012
    And for sure we want to have some variety in our play. But I must admit my variety would be to sometimes bet the flop when I would rather check, rather than check when I could bet. OK so I would be owned by Mr Shoot, but I would still rather have the initiative wrestled away from me than to hand it over on a plate. 
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: What to do? nl100 - 270bb deep : I guess Im glad you can now see reasons to check. Not sure what mentality you mean.
    Posted by Spad3s
    A) Move on, dont dredge up an old post to try and score points. Awakening a thread after 3 weeks is obviously petty.

B)  I think your attitude is really bad if I'm honest.

Dont post a hand if you dont want feedback from a variety of perspectives
  • edited July 2012
    A) Move on, dont dredge up an old post to try and score points. Awakening a thread after 3 weeks is obviously petty. 
    Posted by AMYBR
    oops - and there was me thinking this was some hot trending thread of this evening. teach me to not pay attention.
  • edited July 2012
    very hmmmm Spad3s