You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

In defence of tournament players

2»

Comments

• edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: In defence of tournament players:
    I love the all in button, its my favourite lol
    Posted by loonytoons
    WITHOUT IT , WHAT WOULD I HAVE
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: In defence of tournament players : WITHOUT IT , WHAT WOULD I HAVE
    Posted by PILLOWMAN
    Chips??
  • edited November 2009
    well  said  scotty
  • edited November 2009

I have to admit the adrenaline rush and the satisfaction you get when you win a tourny with over 200 players is amazing. (cant be matched by cash in my opinion.)

I still play cash 90% of the time as the hands are played over all of the streets instead of mostly preflop.

I remember a hand durrrr and patrick played was so intresting the radio poker chat show talked about that hand for 5 hours.

Like scotty i reckon hale72 would be a good cash player as you think about poker on a deep level.

We need some more arguements for mtt's as this discussion was heating up lol :-)

• edited November 2009
    I have to admit the adrenaline rush and the satisfaction you get when you win a tourny with over 200 players is amazing. (cant be matched by cash in my opinion.) I still play cash 90% of the time as the hands are played over all of the streets instead of mostly preflop. I remember a hand durrrr and patrick played was so intresting the radio poker chat show talked about that hand for 5 hours. Like scotty i reckon hale72 would be a good cash player as you think about poker on a deep level. We need some more arguements for mtt's as this discussion was heating up lol :-)
    Posted by DeuceAK-47
    Who told you that load of bumf?

Is it me or does the timer bar creep down far slower on cash?? It just seems like every player uses it to the max.

This I found the main reason I dislike them so much online, I prefer quicker decision making.

I haven't got the patience for 2p/4p, nor have I got the roll for 25/50p based on 20bi fallback.

I much prefer the limited risk/limited reward of DYM's, my current balance is over 10 times my original deposit. On this basis, I will never get rich, but by the same token, I will NEVER go bust.
  • edited November 2009

ARGUEING THE MERITS OF MTTS AND CASH IS LIKE COMPARING ONE DAY CRICKET TO TEST MATCHES. THE ONLY THING THEY HAVE IN COMMON IS THEY HAVE THE SAME BASIC RULES. LIKE CRICKET MOST BETTER PLAYER CAN PLAY ONE OR THE OTHER WELL. WHICH IS WHY WHEN A KEVIN PIETERSON OR PHIL IVEY COME ALONG THEY ARE QUITE RIGHTLY LORDED AS SUPERSTARS.

• edited November 2009
    I prefer MTT -
    1) I know how much I am going to lose beforehand
    2) By knowing how much it is going to cost, I can better control my stack and manage my urge to go all in with 10 2 unsuited :-)
    3) I know that if I am patient then the nutters will soon be out, and I can have an enjoyable game - they are in the cash games to.
    4) More often than not, I will get about an hour or more play for my money.

In both format's very little chat - shame (posters freeroll excluded)
  • edited November 2009
    I think it depends what you want to get out of it really, and what suits you.  For me, I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to grinding away and I don't enjoy multi-tabling so I'm not too fussed about cash.  With a MTT I can pick one and play for a few hours then leave it till the next time.
    Also for me, I know I'm not going to set the poker world on fire just yet having only started just over a year ago, but I'm slowly, slowl,y picking more and more up whilst slowly gaining profit through tourneys, so I think the slow burning build of cash is suiting me as I'm getting more as i get better, whereas if I dropped into cash now I could easily blow it all very quickly.

I also like the value you get from tourneys,  As said previous in the thread for one buy in you get a lot of time to play which is great if you just love playing - more so if it's a decent structure.

Saying all that I do drop into a cash game for the odd 20 min spell and won a bit.
  • edited November 2009
    i prefer mtt than cash as  i think its better
  • edited November 2009
    Cash game players think theyre better because usually they actually are better. Playing with 100+bbs leads to tougher decisions so its a much harder skillset to learn. Tournaments rely too heavily on luck, there is a reason a lot of the best tourney players are staked. The variance is so high that sometimes its impossible to overcome no matter how good you are. In cash if you are good enough you will always make money in the long run.

In tourneys you can play amazing poker for hours and end up with nothing to show for it, or maybe double your buyin back. Not a great hourly.

Most of the great tourney players fail so miserably at cash. Most of the great cash players are profitable in tournaments. Mainly because tourney players lack good fundamentals.

Tournaments may be more fun(until you get knocked out on a bad beat)but in terms of skill level it isnt even close.
  • edited November 2009
    i started to play mtts after i built my br from playing cash games.i love playing both tbh but i think im more of more of a  cash man personally.but i have to admit ive won more money playing mtts cuz one hit on a mtt sends your br upwards that you would not get on cash(unless you play high stakes) so im a bit in between.
  • edited November 2009
    Yes cos in cash only good players play.
    Posted by scotty77

I did a lol

& Banter OI OI!
  • edited November 2009
    i play both cash and tournaments. And i would say honestly, a good day on a cash table i could win alot. However on a bad day i could lose alot. As a result i feel the Cash players win more in not a true perspective. Yes they may win more on a daily basis but they also lose more.

I like both types depending on what my BR is at the time i can have alot of fun on both. Id say its unfair to say one type is worse than the other.
  • edited November 2009
    after this post yesterday i decided to take a couple of quid on to 2 cash tables, £1 on 2p 4p blind walked away with £12 as some individual was splashing cash, he stole a few quid of a couple of players with some rather extremely silly play....he really peed them off, so i sat quietly like a snake in the grass for my moment and stole all his pot with a couple of great hand, then made a sharp exit, i did the same last nite just before bed, £2 on a 5p 10p blinds walked with £7.....not bad really.
    Now you see me now you dont.....LOL
    X
  • edited November 2009
    i perfer tournaments but you have to play fairly solid to make the final table where the real money is. cash games are full of donks, really easy to loose your money but its good fun
  • edited November 2009
    I used to play torneys only, but now its rare for me to play a tourney for a few reasons,

1- I have 2 kids and the other half sometimes works late so if the kids wake up I have to deal with them.

2- I cant take the heartache of making 99 right decisions and 1 wrong one and having nothing to show for it.  In cash you have been paid for those right decisions.

3- If I go deep in  tourney and bust out to a badbeat or w/e I want to smash my house up.  If I stack off a bi in cash then w/e. 

Whoever said cash is fold fold fold though,  there is no way you can make money in 6max cash doing this.  Megatabling full ring is slightly different but you will only reach a certain level.

• edited November 2009
    ok lets sort this out, sky can we have a mad game where top 20 mtt, stt and cash players all play a game over a few days and make up some sort of league table.
    One night could have every player has to play 3 hours of cash, every £1 profit you show at the end of 3 hours of play gets u points.
    A 12 min blind mtt points awarded on finishing position.
    And maybe every player has to play 5 dym on the final day.
    IS this a good idea to find out who is the best all round player plz leave ur thoughts.
  • edited November 2009
    ok lets sort this out, sky can we have a mad game where top 20 mtt, stt and cash players all play a game over a few days and make up some sort of league table. One night could have every player has to play 3 hours of cash, every £1 profit you show at the end of 3 hours of play gets u points. A 12 min blind mtt points awarded on finishing position. And maybe every player has to play 5 dym on the final day. IS this a good idea to find out who is the best all round player plz leave ur thoughts.
    Posted by freechips1

Its a good theory, but this sample size is too small imo
  • edited November 2009
    Yopu would prob also need to throw in some turbo MTTs as 12min blinds favour the cash players
  • edited November 2009
    we need some1 from sky to say what/if this can be done. if it was top 20 mtt, stt and cash i think 6 of the top 10 would be cash players