You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

so embarassing... (rant continued)

edited March 2010 in Poker Chat

keep this fella mr hartigan reporting the poker results instead of analysing the play. its painful watching it......like watching john and edward trying to sing, i feel for them they shouldnt be put in that position. such good shows on sky poker and such brilliant presenters/analysts, especially tikay n ed. dok hartigans wages n pay these guys double to work more often. watch the primo back and count how many times he contradicts himself, its unreal and very embarassing
jj

Comments

• edited November 2009
    James has the best style of analysing hands IMO.  He gets his thought process across in an excellent way.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to so embarassing... (rant continued):
    keep this fella mr hartigan reporting the poker results instead of analysing the play. its painful watching it......like watching john and edward trying to sing, i feel for them they shouldnt be put in that position. such good shows on sky poker and such brilliant presenters/analysts, especially tikay n ed. dok hartigans wages n pay these guys double to work more often. watch the primo back and count how many times he contradicts himself, its unreal and very embarassing jj
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Please don't criticize James in this way, he does a great job, as do ALL the analysts.

If you can do a better job than James why are you not in the Sky Poker studios?

Why have you started another thread?

• edited November 2009
    wouldnt expect u to say anything else really, watch the primo programme back though, ull get my point. hes so certain of absolutely everything he says, never considers each side of the argument/decision.

hes working on sky poker for money, if he was that gud he wudnt need to. n hes so arrogant. so card orientated, gimmie an ed giddings in swinging yorker neday.
  • edited November 2009
    keep this fella mr hartigan reporting the poker results instead of analysing the play. its painful watching it......like watching john and edward trying to sing, i feel for them they shouldnt be put in that position. such good shows on sky poker and such brilliant presenters/analysts, especially tikay n ed. dok hartigans wages n pay these guys double to work more often. watch the primo back and count how many times he contradicts himself, its unreal and very embarassing jj
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    This is why there are a variety of analysts and presenters on the show, different people find different analysts appealing and while James may not speak the poker language you like obv some of the others do.

It's all individual choice.

You obviously have one opinion. I question why, with one opinion, you chose to start more than one thread? I may have to read someone elses threads from now on, your repetitive posting doesn't suit me. Thank goodness there are lots of posts to choose from, a bit lilke the analysts on the show....  ;-)  
  • edited November 2009
    fella with 900 chips....flop 458 hearts flop.......900 chips has 67, flopped a straight, other bloke has ace of hearts, and a 9.....bets 400, other bloke goes all in, another 350 to call? "if he thinks his ace and 9 are live, he should call". haha. an extra 300 to win the lot? isnt the nut flush draw enough? its really embarrasing listening to it. turning it off haha night all
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: so embarassing... (rant continued):
    wouldnt expect u to say anything else really, watch the primo programme back though, ull get my point. hes so certain of absolutely everything he says, never considers each side of the argument/decision. hes working on sky poker for money, if he was that gud he wudnt need to. n hes so arrogant. so card orientated, gimmie an ed giddings in swinging yorker neday.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Eeerm yes of course he is. Ask Ed Giddens if he works at Sky Poker for any other reason than for money and I'd be surprised if he gave a different answer.

And as for not being good so having to work for Sky poker. I don't know of one sucessful poker player who doesn't take a commentating job when its offered.

I have listened to Phil Helmuth, Chris Moneymaker, Greg Raymer, the Hendon Mob and many others, all of whom would be listed as sucesful players and they all pull up a chair and commentate for money.

So I'm not sure I understand your reasoning behind your comment.
  • edited November 2009
    There is more than one VERY wealthy analyst on the Sky poker team.

I think, and I know, in one particular case, that it is done purely for the love of the game and also promotion of the sport he adores so much.

I think salaries are pretty irrelevant.

Does John MacEnroe commentate on the tennis to make up his meagre salary?

There is a presenter, I too am not particularly fond of, but that purely is because of the style, nothing else. I would never dream of trying to undermine that person here.

I also have characters in eastenders I don't like. It doesn't stop me watching and enjoying the show.

They offer different styles and opinions. If everyone had exactly the same idea on how to play a hand, then this game would become stale within weeks.

Keep up the good work guys. We all love you.
  • edited November 2009
    "embarassing" is slightly embarrassing ;-)
  • edited November 2009
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I did not see the hand that annoyed you in full so i won't comment on it. 
    James however is a very good analyst. His advice is generally more advanced than the others and is more inline with the experts on Cardrunners. He is more critical of players but he is generally correct. His advice is taylored more to aggressive players which is his style and mine. Overall he is good addition to the sky team.

Ed

• edited November 2009
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I am assuming that you are a pro poker player, with a trophy cabinet the size of the tower of london where you keep all your WSOP bracelets and cash out in every tournament that you play!!

Everyone is entitled to an opinion as it's a free country. But to come on the forum and blatantly undermine and attack someone personally is bang out of order. You could of put that in a far more constructive and adult way! this is a forum not a playground.

James is a very well respected member of the team and obviously just has a different style to you. Poker is like boxing it's the clash of styles that make it exciting and varies the way the game is played.

personally i think you owe the guy an apology, not for your opinion but for the way in which you decided to display it!! I personally don't agree sometimes with how he says you should play certain hands, but that's because my style is different. Would i come onto the forum and have it with him like that, no way in this world. I would of sent a private message asking for an explanation if i felt that strongly, as they are all really good like that and give you the time of day .... which i might add you won't find anywhere else. Or put a polite post on forum to start a debate.

i find the way you have dealt with this situation chimerical at best. They all do a great job and work hard and it's for entertainment mainly as they do not promise to make you a better player, they just explain things from a different perspective. This is just one man's opinion, would all the other presenters  have said the same thing i very much doubt it. if you feel that strongly about it just ignore it ;)

• edited November 2009
    In Response to so embarassing... (rant continued) : I am assuming that you are a pro poker player, with a trophy cabinet the size of the tower of london where you keep all your WSOP bracelets and cash out in every tournament that you play!! Everyone is entitled to an opinion as it's a free country. But to come on the forum and blatantly undermine and attack someone personally is bang out of order. You could of put that in a far more constructive and adult way! this is a forum not a playground. James is a very well respected member of the team and obviously just has a different style to you. Poker is like boxing it's the clash of styles that make it exciting and varies the way the game is played. personally i think you owe the guy an apology, not for your opinion but for the way in which you decided to display it!! I personally don't agree sometimes with how he says you should play certain hands, but that's because my style is different. Would i come onto the forum and have it with him like that, no way in this world. I would of sent a private message asking for an explanation if i felt that strongly, as they are all really good like that and give you the time of day .... which i might add you won't find anywhere else. Or put a polite post on forum to start a debate. i find the way you have dealt with this situation chimerical at best. They all do a great job and work hard and it's for entertainment mainly as they do not promise to make you a better player, they just explain things from a different perspective. This is just one man's opinion, would all the other presenters  have said the same thing i very much doubt it. if you feel that strongly about it just ignore it ;)
    Posted by margatemaf

Wow!!!!!!

I don't think I've ever seen you so angry.

Well said though! Some things are not fit for the forum, and certainly critisising someone else's job is one of them.

I'm sure Dohhh has an employer that gives him critisism if it is justified. I don't think he would be too happy if his customers critisised him.

Remind me never to be a naughty girl.

And time to let this and the other thread drop to page 2 by lunchtime. I, for one won't post here, or on the other thread again.

I hope anyone who genuinely has respect for the hard work the presenters and analysts will do the same.
  • edited November 2009
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

the geeks a good bloke......
  • edited November 2009
    it seems to me that wayne has got this one just about right.

Dohhhhh is of course entitled to have any opinion he wants about anything he wants, and that is a given.  However, this is a forum, with specific rules in place, which anyone wanting to contribute to has to comply with.  These include not posting anything offensive or abusive, and while there is always going to be grey areas, to call someones analysis "embarrasing" is in my mind abusive.

As wayne says, there are always going to be differing opinions in poker, and also different interpretations of analysis.  Thats fine.  In an adult manner, you can debate the issues that concern you most, or if you are not prepared to do so, you can simply say nothing,  Just do it in the right way.

Oh, and to start two speparate threads on the issue is also going too far, so if the mods deem these threads ok, coulds they at least close down or remove one of them?
  • edited November 2009
    Can i be a presenter please, im not very good at poker, but it would be very funny as i have little or no idear as what im talking about...Thats why im a poor poker player!

I get it wrong when i can see all the poket cards, the flop the turn the river, i wish i were clever!

• edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: so embarassing... (rant continued) : Wow!!!!!! I don't think I've ever seen you so angry. Well said though! Some things are not fit for the forum, and certainly critisising someone else's job is one of them. I'm sure Dohhh has an employer that gives him critisism if it is justified. I don't think he would be too happy if his customers critisised him. Remind me never to be a naughty girl. And time to let this and the other thread drop to page 2 by lunchtime. I, for one won't post here, or on the other thread again. I hope anyone who genuinely has respect for the hard work the presenters and analysts will do the same.
    Posted by Hale72
    That wasn't angry hunny, that was slightly miffed ;)didn't get the nickname margatemafia for nowt lol ;) i just personally found it rather distasteful. If it was gus hansen, chris ferguson or phil ivey may well have listened. Personal attacks have no place on this forum in my opinion. It's supposed to be a community not the UFC!
  • edited November 2009
    Have you lot ever thought that all this wisdom that TK and GIDZ share....result ...LESS FISH ...so if the presenters/analists ...get it wrong...isnt that to be applauded....lol...

STOP TEACHING THE FISH TO MUCH......YOU SHARE A WEALTH OF WISDOM AND POKER STRATERGY THAT YOU HAVE BUILT UP OVER MANY YRS...THEN DUMP ALL THAT KNOWLEGE ON FOLK WHO DONT DESERVE IT! ...WOULD A LAWER DO THAT ...I DONT THINK SO...WELL NOT FOR FREE ANYWAY!

OOO...was that a good point! ...Im so confused ....lol
  • edited November 2009
    Haha wow thats definately ruffled some feathers. As you can see from the number of posts I have written, and from what I said in my initial post, I'm not a regular forum user. I wasnt aware of the code of conduct or any forum rules which might apply, apart from the obvious 'no swearing' no personal abuse etc etc. Again regarding starting 2 threads or posts or whatever they are called, wasnt aware that starting 2 was frowned upon. As for one bloke who said id abused the presenter in question, maybe he needs to look up the definition of the word. But having said that in this community it seems that that comment in itself, may be classed as abusive.lol Anyway i'll be more careful in future.
    JJ
  • edited November 2009
    JUST THOUGHT Id ADD...

Im a fish, well i think im a fish, you see, if ever i byin to a big tournament...i ameadiately suffer massive anxiety! Its awfull, Why do i get this awfull feeling, thoughts like ...im beat here, i know im beat, oh my god whats the flop going to be, damm that turn card, oh my god and ace on the river, im beat here, i just know im beat...
    Am i clever, ...im right most on the time ...im damm well beat!

This is why i suffer such anxiety i think....   ( GIDZ3.2pints-1 shot ) Was presenting sometime back....the hand was played to the river....GIDZ said ....right then we dont want to see a 5 ...or a daimond....a few seconds later...up pops the 5 of diamonds on the river.....two 5s had been folded 1 was live! ...leaving only 1 left in the pack! GIDZ spun round in his chair and was speechless....I just p!$$ed myself laughing....What would any pundit say under those circumstances ....

I think thats why i suffer so much anxiety! ...lol
  • edited November 2009
    DOHHHHH

Dont worry mate ....your points are as valuable as anyones...we all have differentways of analysing stuff....you have a voice....and have the right to voice your thoughts and oppionions...

However...you will always get feedback ...from all those folk who think they are better that you...

I suffer in this way as most of the time ....they are ....thats what learning is about ....applaud these folk who share their poker wisdom ...i suck this stuff up all the time ....Ive learnt an awfull lot in the poker chat...and watching sky poker TV

And i get all this wisdom for free! ....
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: so embarassing... (rant continued) : Eeerm yes of course he is. Ask Ed Giddens if he works at Sky Poker for any other reason than for money and I'd be surprised if he gave a different answer. And as for not being good so having to work for Sky poker. I don't know of one sucessful poker player who doesn't take a commentating job when its offered. I have listened to Phil Helmuth, Chris Moneymaker, Greg Raymer, the Hendon Mob and many others, all of whom would be listed as sucesful players and they all pull up a chair and commentate for money. So I'm not sure I understand your reasoning behind your comment.
    Posted by Dingdell
    LOL i think you've managed to offend Helmuth, Raymer and all of the Hendon Mob there by grouping them with Chris Moneymaker!
  • edited November 2009
    GREGHOG

What do you mean telling DOHHHHH "DONT" ...are you the boss then ..."DONT" is a command....when did you have the right to COMMAND others thought patterns!

So i say to you ...DONT COMMAND OTHER FOLK .....Ok chap!
  • edited November 2009
    Hi Dohhhh

Thanks for coming back to the thread this morning.  I think it was me who referred to your calling james "embarrasing" as abusive.  That was my opinion, and maybe its wrong.  Certainly, your post hasnt been deleted by the mods which indicates its ok, and i'm perfectly happy to admit i got it wrong if thats the case, and apologise.

But i do think that there was a better way of going about disagreeing with james' analysis, and putting it in the poker strategy section for debate is one idea.

By the same token, i would say that one thread would have been enough, as anyone who wants to comment can do so without the need for a second thread.  in the forum, there is an issue with relatively new threads being lost to page 2 after a couple of  hours because of the high number of new threads being posted.

Finally, as for ruffling feathers, that is a good thing.  The forum is at its best when there are differing views being expressed, so even if i thought your opening post was unfair, debate is healthy.  As I said at the start, thanks for coming back to the thread and posting again, as all too often, someone posts and then doesnt respond when others disagree.
  • edited November 2009
    Haha wow thats definately ruffled some feathers. As you can see from the number of posts I have written, and from what I said in my initial post, I'm not a regular forum user. I wasnt aware of the code of conduct or any forum rules which might apply, apart from the obvious 'no swearing' no personal abuse etc etc. Again regarding starting 2 threads or posts or whatever they are called, wasnt aware that starting 2 was frowned upon. As for one bloke who said id abused the presenter in question, maybe he needs to look up the definition of the word. But having said that in this community it seems that that comment in itself, may be classed as abusive.lol Anyway i'll be more careful in future. JJ
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    It's not about ruffling feathers fella, it's about conducting yourself in the right an appropriate manner in accordance with the forum. The way you just come onto the form and announce that some one is embarrassing is a personal attack. 

Let's put it another way, your at work and the boss comes onto the shop floor and gives his verdict of your performance in front of the whole work place and customers alike. He says your performance this month has been embarrassing and it's not up to much and other people do a much better job -  your gonna be pretty chuffed off that he has done it in public view and that it he has not really given you constructive feedback. If however he'd of done it private or in a constructive way that was not belittling you then your gonna accept it. It's the same thing on here fella. 

If you have a point to make, it's how you present the point that matters and not so much as to what the point is. It is a fairly tight knit community which can only be a good thing, as we all want to learn and be better players etc etc and trust me fella there ain't no better than sky poker!!!!!

Personally i take my hat off to you as you come back and stood your corner!! i have been on many forums and most just slink away when opinion is against them in general. But you have come back done your thing and fair play to you!!!!! If you have a point in future just take a second before you start typing furiously when your annoyed, as the point you are trying to make will never come across in the manner in which you intend it too. From what i have seen of you today, quite looking forward to having you around as you speak your mind and that's quality for the forum in the long run.

We all have little outbursts, jesus i only had one last week!! so it's par for the course... but just get it out there in a constructive manner and you'll always get a very healthy debate going!!

As for starting 2 threads, no real great shakes on that your new an we all do daft things when we first start these things. One last thing to remember as well, no one is perfect. Last person that was supposedly perfect got nailed to a cross .... didn't do him much good ;)

Oh by the way welcome to the forum good to have you on the site!!! ;)
  • edited November 2009
    NAIL ON THE HEAD, spot on mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

n Response to Re: so embarassing... (rant continued):
    In Response to so embarassing... (rant continued) : I am assuming that you are a pro poker player, with a trophy cabinet the size of the tower of london where you keep all your WSOP bracelets and cash out in every tournament that you play!! Everyone is entitled to an opinion as it's a free country. But to come on the forum and blatantly undermine and attack someone personally is bang out of order. You could of put that in a far more constructive and adult way! this is a forum not a playground. James is a very well respected member of the team and obviously just has a different style to you. Poker is like boxing it's the clash of styles that make it exciting and varies the way the game is played. personally i think you owe the guy an apology, not for your opinion but for the way in which you decided to display it!! I personally don't agree sometimes with how he says you should play certain hands, but that's because my style is different. Would i come onto the forum and have it with him like that, no way in this world. I would of sent a private message asking for an explanation if i felt that strongly, as they are all really good like that and give you the time of day .... which i might add you won't find anywhere else. Or put a polite post on forum to start a debate. i find the way you have dealt with this situation chimerical at best. They all do a great job and work hard and it's for entertainment mainly as they do not promise to make you a better player, they just explain things from a different perspective. This is just one man's opinion, would all the other presenters  have said the same thing i very much doubt it. if you feel that strongly about it just ignore it ;)
    Posted by margatemaf
  • edited November 2009
    The problem with JH is he belittles players whilst making the odd bizzare assesment. 
  • edited November 2009

When I replied on the other Thread, I was not aware that TWO seperate Threads have been started by the same Member to criticise the same Analyst.

I may be wrong, & merely reading betwen the lines, but my extra sensitive spidey senses suggest to me perhaps Dohhhhhhh is not overly fond of James. Which is, of course, is a different thing entirely. Or it may be an attempt to hide affection, in much the same way I abuse Orford, though really, I love him to bits.

We are Presenters & Analysts, we dispense so-called words of wisdom. Sometimes we get it wrong, we just do. I reckon I've probably got it wrong, oooh, 59,00 times.

PS - We DO need Smileys on this Forum, badly!
  • edited November 2009
    we do indeed, there are plenty out there to be had!! some real crackers too!! I don't think its a case of not being overly fond of james at all, he just had a point to make, instead of taking a deep breath before typing ... he typed straightaway ... an we've all been guilty of that at some point ;)  ( smiley's defo needed )
  • edited November 2009
    When I replied on the other Thread, I was not aware that TWO seperate Threads have been started by the same Member to criticise the same Analyst. I may be wrong, & merely reading betwen the lines, but my extra sensitive spidey senses suggest to me perhaps Dohhhhhhh is not overly fond of James. Which is, of course, is a different thing entirely. Or it may be an attempt to hide affection, in much the same way I abuse Orford, though really, I love him to bits. We are Presenters & Analysts, we dispense so-called words of wisdom. Sometimes we get it wrong, we just do. I reckon I've probably got it wrong, oooh, 59,00 times. PS - We DO need Smileys on this Forum, badly!
    Posted by Tikay10
    hahaha love it
  • edited November 2009
    Haha just to clarify, the pot size was 59,000. And as for the way I went about making my point, ive read all the comments and taken them on board, thanks for the feedback. Maybe came across as abit nieve as a forum newbie, but been reading through other peoples threads and stuff and its something I will be using alot more of, in a more refined, constructive manner. Apologies to anyone i've offended.

P.S, I have absolutely no problem with the presenter in question, in fact up until last saturday, the poker results show that he presents (cant remember the name) was my favourite show on sky poker. Master Cash is a brilliant idea, play cash 95% of the time and hope to get on screen this saturday, where no doubt alot of people will be awaiting my downfall after this/these posts. Show ya i can walk as well as talk ;) haha cyaz around on the tables. JJ.
  • edited November 2009
    Haha just to clarify, the pot size was 59,000. And as for the way I went about making my point, ive read all the comments and taken them on board, thanks for the feedback. Maybe came across as abit nieve as a forum newbie, but been reading through other peoples threads and stuff and its something I will be using alot more of, in a more refined, constructive manner. Apologies to anyone i've offended. P.S, I have absolutely no problem with the presenter in question, in fact up until last saturday, the poker results show that he presents (cant remember the name) was my favourite show on sky poker. Master Cash is a brilliant idea, play cash 95% of the time and hope to get on screen this saturday, where no doubt alot of people will be awaiting my downfall after this/these posts. Show ya i can walk as well as talk ;) haha cyaz around on the tables. JJ.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    We've all been there buddy!! and well said!!! and no apology needed ...... Matter now sorted ;) look forward to seeing you play and not see your downfall either as suggested ;) always interesting to watch someone else play the game