You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Horrid spot

edited July 2012 in The Poker Clinic
I find myself putting players on hands and still calling them down when there hands go ahead.
Ok player hasn't 3 bet any hands so far, and shows ultra stregth here for the first time. I immediately put him on AA KK QQ JJ or maybe AK . The flop comes and I instantly put myself behind because of the size of his c-bet, I would expect aces or kings to bet bigger to find out where they are.
Can I fold this flop??? I really want to!
For what it is worth, this hand isn't straight forward and holds a suprise at the end!
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
PokerSmith Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £4.61
joey690 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £11.26
Hurley00 Sit out     
 Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

trixie06 Fold     
Lady666 Fold     
Batkin88 Raise  £0.40 £0.55 £17.33
PokerSmith Call  £0.35 £0.90 £4.26
joey690 Raise  £1.20 £2.10 £10.06
Batkin88 Call  £0.90 £3.00 £16.43
PokerSmith Fold     
Flop

• Q
  • Q
  • J

joey690 Bet  £1.10 £4.10 £8.96
Batkin88

Comments

• edited July 2012
    by not 4 betting pre just call flop
  • edited July 2012
    He wont have AK much because you have kings. But you should be 4betting pre imo and looking to get it in on any flop. Why flat if you think he's never gonna 3b light? were you hoping for a 7 2 3 flop and get it in without a sweat.. 
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Horrid spot:
    He wont have AK much because you have kings. But you should be 4betting pre imo and looking to get it in on any flop. Why flat if you think he's never gonna 3b light? were you hoping for a 7 2 3 flop and get it in without a sweat.. 
    Posted by pr1nnyraid
    Well yes I was looking for a nicer flop, Q and J I have put in his range with sets, so I am now only beating AK on the flop or splitting KK.
    I also don't like 4 betting to get it in pre, prefer playing the streets.
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Horrid spot : Well yes I was looking for a nicer flop, Q and J I have put in his range with sets, so I am now only beating AK on the flop or splitting KK. I also don't like 4 betting to get it in pre, prefer playing the streets.
    Posted by Batkin88
    What??

I think your tournament mindset is coming to the forefront here. You're treating this hand like level 1 in a tournament and dont want to risk your tournament life.

This is cash and if you can get KK in pre, then do it everyday of the week and be happy about it.

As played call flop.
  • edited July 2012
    :S you should be happy to get KK all in pre flop all day long, and if you do bump into AA you can still win; albeit 80% dog.

the line you have taken pre is bad imho vs a tight range, the board texture might shut the action down and therefore get no value from your KK. Vs a aggressive serial 3-bettor you can trap him but not a tight person, unless the tight person is good and then it gets a little more complicated :), but since this is nl10 its best to keep things simple.

You can never fold this flop after one bet, so call flop you are going to be good most of the time, BUT if you are concerned at this point that you might be behind because you have a feel/read on this guy then just re-evaluate on the turn and decide what to do, if he goes all-in, or bets pot you can possibly fold, if he bets small you might have to sigh call, but whatever you do do not fold on the flop!

• edited July 2012
    While this is the player's first 3bet to your knowledge, you are the button and knowing you, you'll be opening a fair amount from there.  I think their 3bet range BB v Button is a lot bigger than you have it as in your OP.  I'm 4betting pre to get it in.

As played call on the flop now and reassess on the turn.  They are leading with plenty of air, under pairs and value hands such as AJ, KJ which we beat.  I don't see too much value in raising the flop however.
  • edited July 2012
    Ok right, I am still learning cash so KK all in pre is good lol (My reasoning behind not getting it in pre is because he is only coming back over the top with QQ KK or AA so it is 50/50
    Anyway the turn comes and this happens, bear in mind I think I am behind here is it ok to check it back with then intention of betting the river if he checks it to me or calling a small bet if it doesn't look to fishy?

The river comes and he bets into me, the size looks like he missed value on the turn and was betting right at the top of his value betting amount for max value. Now can I fold?
    Hurley00 Sit out     
     Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

trixie06 Fold     
    Lady666 Fold     
    PokerSmith Fold     
    Flop

• Q
    • Q
    • J

Batkin88 Call  £1.10 £5.20 £15.33
    Turn

joey690 Check     
    Batkin88 Check     
    River

joey690 Bet  £3.50 £8.70 £5.46
    Batkin88 ?
  • edited July 2012
    While this is the player's first 3bet to your knowledge, you are the button and knowing you, you'll be opening a fair amount from there.  I think their 3bet range BB v Button is a lot bigger than you have it as in your OP.  I'm 4betting pre to get it in. As played call on the flop now and reassess on the turn.  They are leading with plenty of air, under pairs and value hands such as AJ, KJ which we beat.  I don't see too much value in raising the flop however.
    Posted by TommyD
    Could you maybe r / f the flop. Or do you think he never barrels?
  • edited July 2012
    snap call, take notes, next hand..
  • edited July 2012
    Ok right, I am still learning cash so KK all in pre is good lol (My reasoning behind not getting it in pre is because he is only coming back over the top with QQ KK or AA so it is 50/50

You should maybe look at this way of thinking. Like TommyD said his range isn't that tight.

You want to get as much of their stack in pre, so that they will stack off lighter postflop. Do you think he will fold 99-JJ pre flop to a small 4b?? Probably not. However if you don't 4b you are allowing him to make a fold post flop with these hands.

You have to give a bad opponent the chance to make mistakes, by just calling you are taking away another decision from him- you are pot controlling on his behalf. The deception gained isnt as valuable as the fact he will stack off alot lighter the more he has invested pre.
  • edited July 2012
    Call he had the jack.
  • edited July 2012
    shove for value )

maybe snap
  • edited July 2012
    im 4 betting all day long here to try n get stacks in preflop 
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Horrid spot : Could you maybe r / f the flop. Or do you think he never barrels?
    Posted by pr1nnyraid
    I'm not sure I like r/f on the flop.  We have a good value hand so by r/f we want him to have a huge amount of his range to just call, we're not turning this into a bluff so we want a call.  To fit this criteria we need him to be calling with lots of jacks, draws (including AK as well as KT) and if he is the player to do so lots of spanners he is turning his flop lead into a float.  There are some Jx hands in his range but we have blockers to the draw hand combinations he can have as well as KJ and from the OP they don't seem to be that creative.  We probably fold out all under pairs by raising (tens being the only question mark if they get stubborn).

I think r/f is just folding out too much, we've played it passive by flatting the 3bet and as such have under repped our hand.  They may barrel with air on turn and/or river, it's an ok board to barrell after making a 3bet.  I think I'm firmly behind calling after our action preflop.

Also as played Im snapping the river.
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Horrid spot : I'm not sure I like r/f on the flop.  We have a good value hand so by r/f we want him to have a huge amount of his range to just call, we're not turning this into a bluff so we want a call.  To fit this criteria we need him to be calling with lots of jacks, draws (including AK as well as KT) and if he is the player to do so lots of spanners he is turning his flop lead into a float.  There are some Jx hands in his range but we have blockers to the draw hand combinations he can have as well as KJ and from the OP they don't seem to be that creative.  We probably fold out all under pairs by raising (tens being the only question mark if they get stubborn). I think r/f is just folding out too much, we've played it passive by flatting the 3bet and as such have under repped our hand.  They may barrel with air on turn and/or river, it's an ok board to barrell after making a 3bet.  I think I'm firmly behind calling after our action preflop. Also as played Im snapping the river.
    Posted by TommyD
    So are you suggesting calling off turn and river if they barrel? He is probly only going to barrell his bluffs and Q's on 3 streets, calling off against a polarised range here is -EV when you take into account his bluff frequency.

Also with regard to 'under reppping' our hand, at what point is it advisable to stop under repping it. I mean you end up just levelling yourself into bad calls. Reason i think r/f is a viable play is because it's less exploitable.
    -If he jams flop back we can make the ez fold
    - If he just calls and wants to put money in on later streets we know he has it a huge %
    -If he just calls and looks to check it down we can then probly check it down or re evaluate river to see if we can squeze some thin value.
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Horrid spot : So are you suggesting calling off turn and river if they barrel? He is probly only going to barrell his bluffs and Q's on 3 streets, calling off against a polarised range here is -EV when you take into account his bluff frequency. Also with regard to 'under reppping' our hand, at what point is it advisable to stop under repping it. I mean you end up just levelling yourself into bad calls. Reason i think r/f is a viable play is because it's less exploitable. -If he jams flop back we can make the ez fold - If he just calls and wants to put money in on later streets we know he has it a huge % -If he just calls and looks to check it down we can then probly check it down or re evaluate river to see if we can squeze some thin value.
    Posted by pr1nnyraid
    That's where the skill comes in.  There are some players on the site I snap call all the way down and expect to be good most of the time, others I barely want to call the first one.  In a vacuum against an unknown I'm sticking by my initial reaction to call the flop to reassess.  As played they fire two streets and I'm more than happy enough to call both against an unknown.

Regarding under repping, we're pretty much stuck doing this all the way down in this spot.  By flatting the 3bet from the button we have taken away the frequency of us having the very top of our range unless we never 4bet.  However if we start raising on this board we are over repping (Qx+) and therefore turning our hand into a bluff.

EDIT

If we do start raising we could be doing it as a merge, trying to represent a polarised range of Q+ or air while actually having something in the middle.  In this we may get calls from anything between pocket tens and pocket aces (against a polarised range these would effectively be the same hand).  I would only do this on the river really, it's also pretty tricky stuff and I'm sure much better players than me could explain it in a much more comprehensive manner.
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Horrid spot : That's where the skill comes in.  There are some players on the site I snap call all the way down and expect to be good most of the time, others I barely want to call the first one.  In a vacuum against an unknown I'm sticking by my initial reaction to call the flop to reassess.  As played they fire two streets and I'm more than happy enough to call both against an unknown. Regarding under repping, we're pretty much stuck doing this all the way down in this spot.  By flatting the 3bet from the button we have taken away the frequency of us having the very top of our range unless we never 4bet.  However if we start raising on this board we are over repping (Qx+) and therefore turning our hand into a bluff.
    Posted by TommyD
    I guess what i'm saying is you can raise here for value and it's not turning our hand into a bluff imo.. Being that in all likelihood this level of player will call with the J and worse + draws.

If you call and re-assess if he fires again, what exactly are you re-assessing?? You are in exaclty the same spot if he leads turn or river but the pot is bigger.

Raising the flop makes it very hard for him to get any value on later streets if he's ahead, although you sacrifice shutting out all his bluffs (of which there aren't many imo). Thats why i advocate it.

For example - It's the same concept of raising with KK from the BB when somebody has limp called MP and the flop coming A 9 3. Now do you lead knowing you are rarely getting called by worse. Or do you just check and risk being exploited. I'd tend to just lead anyway as it makes the hand more easily playable, by checking we are putting ourselves in spots on later streets that might cause us to make more costly mistakes.
    That's another reason in batkins hand i prefer to raise flop as we simply make it impossible to make a big mistake for our stack down the streets.

Maybe this is over thinking it i don't know, your the one whos rich from poker :)
  • edited July 2012
    Yes too much thinking imo!

On the river with the amount he has bet surely it's an easy call?
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Horrid spot : I guess what i'm saying is you can raise here for value and it's not turning our hand into a bluff imo.. Being that in all likelihood this level of player will call with the J and worse + draws. If you call and re-assess if he fires again, what exactly are you re-assessing?? You are in exaclty the same spot if he leads turn or river but the pot is bigger. Raising the flop makes it very hard for him to get any value on later streets if he's ahead, although you sacrifice shutting out all his bluffs (of which there aren't many imo). Thats why i advocate it. For example - It's the same concept of raising with KK from the BB when somebody has limp called MP and the flop coming A 9 3. Now do you lead knowing you are rarely getting called by worse. Or do you just check and risk being exploited. I'd tend to just lead anyway as it makes the hand more easily playable, by checking we are putting ourselves in spots on later streets that might cause us to make more costly mistakes. That's another reason in batkins hand i prefer to raise flop as we simply make it impossible to make a big mistake for our stack down the streets. Maybe this is over thinking it i don't know, your the one whos rich from poker :)
    Posted by pr1nnyraid
    Make sure you check out my edit above, I think there was a crossover.

We are assessing what turn card comes in (Is it a scare card for me/him/both ranges?  Does it complete a draw?  Does it create a draw?  Is it a total brick?) and how he reacts to it (does he bet?  What is his sizing?  How those this match up to our history?)

I've got tons more on this hand to say but I've got the builders in at the moment.  Enjoying this one.
  • edited July 2012
    sound just like raising flop for info and this can be exploited
    I am sure raising folds out all hands you get value from

• edited July 2012
    sound just like raising flop for info and this can be exploited I am sure raising folds out all hands you get value from
    Posted by rancid
    My point being anyone who wants to exploit this is going to have to risk 100BB's and would be a tough spot to exploit as they don't know we're raise folding, also as Tommy says if we are merging the hands we raise the flop here with it is even less exploitable.. Say we do raise with Overpairs as well as Q's and OESD's, then a bluff reship by them is going to be profitable for us, regardless of whether we fold some of the time.
    just seen your edit Tommy that is an overlap and important with regard to my prior response..
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Horrid spot : My point being anyone who wants to exploit this is going to have to risk 100BB's and would be a tough spot to exploit as they don't know we're raise folding, also as Tommy says if we are merging the hands we raise the flop here with it is even less exploitable.. Say we do raise with Overpairs as well as Q's and OESD's, then a bluff reship by them is going to be profitable for us, regardless of whether we fold some of the time. just seen your edit Tommy that is an overlap and important with regard to my prior response..
    Posted by pr1nnyraid
    Well yeah we would have to merge everything from nuts to bluff, how does this effect getting paid with top of our range here - intresting theory

• edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Horrid spot : Well yeah we would have to merge everything from nuts to bluff, how does this effect getting paid with top of our range here - intresting theory
    Posted by rancid
    We shouldn't have any pure bluffs here imo. how i'd play it in an ideal world against a strong player is
    -fold my air or underpairs and any J worse than A J. would consider folding oesd's for reverse implied odds
    Call- basically never - some Q's depending on opponent
    raise- all overpairs, AJ, Q's.

If he jams flop i call with a Q and lay the rest.
    If he just calls and puts any more money in i will prob fold all but Q's.
    If he calls and checks turn and riv i will v/bet overpairs and Q's.

This is obv a basic way of looking at it and there are many other nuances involved. But as a rule of thumb i think this is the best way of playing this spot.
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Horrid spot : We shouldn't have any pure bluffs here imo. how i'd play it in an ideal world against a strong player is -fold my air or underpairs and any J worse than A J. would consider folding oesd's for reverse implied odds Call- basically never - some Q's depending on opponent raise- all overpairs, AJ, Q's. If he jams flop i call with a Q and lay the rest. If he just calls and puts any more money in i will prob fold all but Q's. If he calls and checks turn and riv i will v/bet overpairs and Q's. This is obv a basic way of looking at it and there are many other nuances involved. But as a rule of thumb i think this is the best way of playing this spot.
    Posted by pr1nnyraid

Ok, the only problem I have with this and maybe you can set me straight.

If we merge and raise flop then what are we looking to get paid by. Meaning what does oppo put us on in order for oppo to pay us off.

Surely oppo has to put us on a wider range that what you suggest that would include bluffs. Are you suggesting we merge just the top-middle of our range that still beats oppos middle range.

What hands call our raise that we beat, draws, Jx.

Essentially when we raise flop what hands can we hold that oppo still thinks they beat. For this reason surely we would have to merge in raising with bottom of our range such as draws/bluffs some of the time so oppo thinks they can still be good here.

• edited July 2012
    Ok I wanted to fold the flop on the basis that he doesnt 3 bet pre with anything but a made hand. e.g JJ QQ KK AA and on that flop I am losing to all but one, which I have. This surely makes it a fold?? I understand calling the flop and looking to get it in against an unknown, but I had sat with this player for hours and he was more of a nit than DP use to be!
    I really wanted to fold every street but wasn't good enough to find it, this is exactly the same as last night when I had AK and flop came out 3 7 K and I nearly folded flop only for him to turn over aces. My kings in theis hand are bluff catchers as played, so getting it in pre would make sense and save me all of this thinking.

Anyway here is the hand
    Hurley00 Sit out     
     Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

trixie06 Fold     
    Lady666 Fold     
    PokerSmith Fold     
    Flop

• Q
    • Q
    • J

Batkin88 Call  £1.10 £5.20 £15.33
    Turn

joey690 Check     
    Batkin88 Check     
    River

joey690 Bet  £3.50 £8.70 £5.46
    Batkin88 Call  £3.50 £12.20 £11.83
    joey690 Show
    • Q
    • Q

Batkin88 Muck
    • K
    • K

joey690 Win Four Queens £11.28  £16.74
  • edited July 2012
    nice check on turn with quads !
  • edited July 2012

Well they let you lose the minimum :)

• edited July 2012
    nice check on turn with quads !
    Posted by rancid
    I think there is an implication that young Miss Bats might be creative and float to take away judging by that check.  Not awful but not what I would do in general.
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Horrid spot : Ok, the only problem I have with this and maybe you can set me straight. If we merge and raise flop then what are we looking to get paid by. Meaning what does oppo put us on in order for oppo to pay us off. Surely oppo has to put us on a wider range that what you suggest that would include bluffs. Are you suggesting we merge just the top-middle of our range that still beats oppos middle range.   What hands call our raise that we beat, draws, Jx.   Essentially when we raise flop what hands can we hold that oppo still thinks they beat. For this reason surely we would have to merge in raising with bottom of our range such as draws/bluffs some of the time so oppo thinks they can still be good here.
    Posted by rancid
    Why do you want to have bluffs in your range when you raise vs oppo's tight 3b range?
    If your perceived range has bluffs, but your actual range has value only, then that's how you win money.
    Of course you don't want to actually hold your perceived range you just want to be aware of it. If you play to your perceived range then you are easy to play against, you have to skew it in these spots to get the better of oppo.
    I see it like this - assuming this is a thinking player - and most importantly he HAS to have a tight 3bet range.

Oppo thinks we are polarised to nut / air hands when we raise flop. Therefore he thinks he can continue with his mid strength hands, and just c/c to bluff catch and pot control.  
    Given that oppo's entire range (excluding JJ or any Q) has showdown value against our air, he has no need to rebluff this spot. If he decides we are bluffing, surely he should be just calling and keeping the bluffs in our range. Therefore if he calls the flop raise, he can only put more money in with a set, and will only cc/c - bluff catch with the rest of his range.
    So our raise on flop gives the illusion of polarising our range, the result being that it restricts the villains play on later streets and makes his hand extremely transparent.

• edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Horrid spot : Why do you want to have bluffs in your range when you raise vs oppo's tight 3b range? If your perceived range has bluffs, but your actual range has value only, then that's how you win money. Of course you don't want to actually hold your perceived range you just want to be aware of it. If you play to your perceived range then you are easy to play against, you have to skew it in these spots to get the better of oppo. I see it like this - assuming this is a thinking player - and most importantly he HAS to have a tight 3bet range. Oppo thinks we are polarised to nut / air hands when we raise flop. Therefore he thinks he can continue with his mid strength hands, and just c/c to bluff catch and pot control.   Given that oppo's entire range (excluding JJ or any Q) has showdown value against our air, he has no need to rebluff this spot. If he decides we are bluffing, surely he should be just calling and keeping the bluffs in our range. Therefore if he calls the flop raise, he can only put more money in with a set, and will only cc/c - bluff catch with the rest of his range. So our raise on flop gives the illusion of polarising our range, the result being that it restricts the villains play on later streets and makes his hand extremely transparent.
    Posted by pr1nnyraid

Love the way the this post reads, all good

but

regarding the highlighted bit

my thinking is how we do create a perceived range if we don't ever raise with air/draws sometimes
    is it enough here to r/f with KK to create a perceived range that includes draws/bluffs
    seems to be a total flaw if we do not have a pereived range that includes air/draws

"o this guy always turns over mid-top of range, never seem oppo bluff or semi bluff in these spots"

= ez fold

u see what I am trying to put across