You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Checking down

2»

Comments

• edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Checking down:
    ive been thinking about this recentley, alot nof people do it , check when they know theyve got the best hand, but why?????, this is poker, ur 1 mission is to win the hand and as much money as possable, i dont understand it.
    Posted by nirvana29

Scenario,

you are on the final table of a big mtt, you are down to last 4 players,

payouts are  1st- £10,000
                       2nd- £6500
                       3rd - £4000
                       4th - £2000

3 players have a decent stack which are of similar size and there is one short stack.

The short stack moves all in and gets 2 callers

The short stack holds KQspades,

One of the other callers holds AJspades

The other caller holds 99

The flop comes  3spades   6spades   9hearts.

Supposing the fella with the set put out a big bet to protect his hand against against the flush draw and got AJspades to fold.

The hand still has to go to showdown as there is an all in,

turn 2 clubs, river 8spades.

The shortstack has now trebled up and maybe in contention to take down the whole tourney.

If the hand was checked down, everyone left would be at least 2k richer, and another opponent gone.
  • edited November 2009

I knew i had the nuts and the pot won BUT i didnt want to be hassled and shunned because i bet when i shouldnt have as i was unsure of what the unwritten rules were in the nuts situation.

I have only been in check down situations a few times, but never with the nuts so have never given it thought.  So i only had a few secs to make a decision on wether to check or bet.

Reading what u guys have written, if u have the nuts then u bet, otherwise check down to avoid the above post situation.

Thanks.

• edited November 2009
    You're checking down to improve your chances of laddering.

If you hit the nuts, or a good hand, then you want to extract value, knowing that you are probably ahead of the villain.

There is no reason not to bet if you have a strong hand, since even if you bet the other guy out of it then the chances are his presence in the hand wouldnt make much difference to the person who is all in.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Checking down:
    You're checking down to improve your chances of laddering. If you hit the nuts, or a good hand, then you want to extract value, knowing that you are probably ahead of the villain. There is no reason not to bet if you have a strong hand, since even if you bet the other guy out of it then the chances are his presence in the hand wouldnt make much difference to the person who is all in.
    Posted by Deadluck

W R O N G.

This has happened to me and I had a big hand.  My assumption was, the guy who bet would no way bet unless he had something stronger as it is such a crucial moment in the tourney.  the shortstack doubled up.  I went out next