You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

4-bet Bluffing: NL10

edited August 2012 in The Poker Clinic
cant explain this 4 betting with j q is oooober spewy against a guy who is up 2 and a half buy ins the other guy is thinking hes lucks in tonight just think its a really bad move against a big stack to make 

Comments

• edited August 2012

I've been playing superbad over the last couple of days so I'm going to take a while away from the tables.
    I rarely play cash and I can't decide on my 4-bet here.

I've only been at the table for four or five orbits but the 3-better seemed to be the most aggressive, most sophisticated player at the table. She seems very much capable of exploiting this situation with a squeeze and I'm confident she's aware that I'm aggressive and would look to isolate and exploit the limper with a wide range. The other players in the hand seem pretty passive, though the button is quite new to the table and I've only seen them in one or two hands.

So it's basically about my £6.10, 4-bet size. I'd almost always make my 4-bets proportionally alot smaller than my 3-bets but is this just too small? I wouldn't expect it to ever be flatted (except with a big pair) given my stack size so it seems to do the job. I've been playing so badly that I'm just not sure if my head's on straight. Thoughts please.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Frankie Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £73.96
    Mollie Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £20.91
     Your hole cards
    • J
    • Q

Una Call  £0.10 £0.25 £21.50
    Vanessa Fold     
    BorinLoner Raise  £0.50 £0.75 £22.50
    Rochelle Call  £0.50 £1.25 £15.85
    Frankie Raise  £2.80 £4.05 £71.16
    Mollie Fold     
    Una Fold     
    BorinLoner Raise  £5.60 £9.65 £16.90
    Rochelle Fold     
    Frankie All-in  £71.16 £80.81 £0.00
    BorinLoner Fold     
    Frankie Muck     
    Frankie Win  £12.90  £12.90
    Frankie Return  £67.91 £0.00 £80.81
    She claimed in the chat box that she had AK for what it's worth.
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: 4-bet Bluffing: NL10:
    cant explain this 4 betting with j q is oooober spewy against a guy who is up 2 and a half buy ins the other guy is thinking hes lucks in tonight just think its a really bad move against a big stack to make 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Maybe. As I said, I've been playing superbad today. I could post one of hands up from a 4-player HU game. I had written a note on the guy about two minutes earlier saying "Only bets his big made hands" and I still 3-bet all-in with bottom pair, no draw on the turn.

I don't even drink. lol
  • edited August 2012
    This looks like summat I'd do!

...................looks baddd.

The size is perfect imo, the idea not so good.

I need to stop doing stuff like this, prob time to do some reading (me not u). Don't seem to know what I'm doing atm!

But here, his range is just v nutted. Might be able to get him to peel Queens and AK and make a play on some flops, but he's prob never light. 

• edited August 2012
    think your sizing is fine just bad timing imo againist opponent
  • edited August 2012
    i think if u playing some 1 that has just a full buy in of 20 and some 1 that has 70 so up 50 makes a lot of difference i dnt think this is a good play against some 1 whos obviously running well on the table if im up 3 buy ins im never folding to anything once i raise coz i think its 1 of them nites ya running well i just think against other playerson this table it would work against an aggro guy whos running well not so
  • edited August 2012
    I think I do this sort of thing quite alot: Convince myself that my opponent is making more moves than they really are. If I played more often, I'd probably be more disciplined and just fold... hopefully.

At the time the thinking was that "Frankie's" range was pretty polarised. Obviously AA, KK, QQ, AK and perhaps JJ are in her 3-bet range but it seemed she'd be doing this alot of the time with junk hands too. Pairs below JJ are likely to call the raise as are suited connectors, etc.

I should probably wait until I've seen the player in alot more hands before making a move such as this. I don't think I'd really seen enough of her to know if she could be 3-betting light. At least I didn't call.
  • edited August 2012
    people tend not to squeeze oop too lightly

just fold to the 3bet

• edited August 2012
    i think if u playing some 1 that has just a full buy in of 20 and some 1 that has 70 so up 50 makes a lot of difference i dnt think this is a good play against some 1 whos obviously running well on the table if im up 3 buy ins im never folding to anything once i raise coz i think its 1 of them nites ya running well i just think against other playerson this table it would work against an aggro guy whos running well not so
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    ?????????????
    lolwat
  • edited August 2012
    I was thinking exactly the same NColley lol. Donk, the fact you've won 3 BIs in last half hour or whatever literally has zero impact on your future luck and there's no reason you can't either donk off them 3 BIs and more, or just get coolered for 3 BIs. If a move is correct 100BB effective, then it's correct, doesn't matter if you got 100,000BB if the villian only got 100.
  • edited August 2012
    fold pre

it's a miracle if you ever get 3 bet light at NL10 from the blinds )
  • edited August 2012
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    im sorry but this is a terrible statement
  • edited August 2012
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    I am printing this out, and framing it. hahahaaaaaaaaaa :))))
  • edited August 2012
    lololol

fwiw I'm not sure if 4b bluffing is profitable readless at nl10
    It aint bad tho. 
  • edited August 2012
    u can laff u can frame it but if im on a roll on a table i am calling 4 bet raises with my suited connectors coz i love em doesnt matter if its £4 if u hit big u can crack these big pairs and get there stack geeeez  easy game i tell ya watch negranu he master at it so ya cant laff at what i say 
  • edited August 2012
    if im up 3 buy ins on a table 4 bet me i call ya when ya on a roll ya on a roll thats poker u hit a card rack where u hit everything i have cards ya wnt expect which can crack ya good cards all about ranges what u put em on if u put em on a certain range u can raise with a airball and win monies
  • edited August 2012
    tv poker is hardly real poker. It's played purely for an entertainment purpose and no doubt they are told beforehand to make it as entertaining as possible without going overboard
  • edited August 2012
    if I was a millionaire playing on tv in a measly 100K game I'd make weird plays trying to be entertaining too. Especially when it's probably not even his own money either. Most tv poker isn't reality and therefore basing your game on Negreanu's play is deeply flawed imo
  • edited August 2012
    oh ok thanks i take your advice on board i do like to get funk on my connectors tho can rep a big pocket pair when really u have the low cards and when u do hit big with ya low cards on a low flop people aint gonna believe ya and u get all the monies schizzle mi nizzle 
  • edited August 2012
    28bb 3bet is sooo big id assume its never a bluff
  • edited August 2012
    have you been drinking idcku?

i like the play fwiw
  • edited August 2012
    dam i been caught :) 
  • edited August 2012
    im curious as to how BL mmanaged to rope the saturdays into a game:)
  • edited August 2012
    Posted by TINTIN

lol
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to 4-bet Bluffing: NL10:
    I've only been at the table for four or five orbits but the 3-better seemed to be the most aggressive, most sophisticated player at the table. She seems very much capable of exploiting this situation with a squeeze and I'm confident she's aware that I'm aggressive and would look to isolate and exploit the limper with a wide range.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    woah slow down batman. All this stuff you think is happening is most likely not happening. Stop levelling yourself.
  • edited August 2012
    hudge 3bet

NL10

why are you 4betting light?

call and outplay or fold and move on.

you're better than this BL!
  • edited August 2012
    hudge 3bet NL10 why are you 4betting light? call and outplay or fold and move on. you're better than this BL!
    Posted by beaneh
    lol... No, I'm really not.

So the consensus seems to be: Don't do this! Levelling myself = Bad

If I could take that advice a little more regularly I'd be a rich man by now. I'd have at least dozens of pounds to my name.

Ta for the input folks. A few weeks away from the tables will do me reet.
  • edited August 2012
    Posted by TINTIN
    What can I say? I'm an appealling, eligible young gentleman... and the ladies are good at spotting easy value.
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: 4-bet Bluffing: NL10 : lol... No, I'm really not. So the consensus seems to be: Don't do this! Levelling myself = Bad If I could take that advice a little more regularly I'd be a rich man by now. I'd have at least dozens of pounds to my name. Ta for the input folks. A few weeks away from the tables will do me reet.
    Posted by BorinLoner

meh you do yourself a disservice. 

I remember playing some sessions where you were on a few of my tables at nl50 or maybe lower when I was grinding alot and I specifically remember you giving me more trouble/playing better than most Nl200 regs on sky.

You are 100% levelling yourself way too much. 
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: 4-bet Bluffing: NL10 : meh you do yourself a disservice.  I remember playing some sessions where you were on a few of my tables at nl50 or maybe lower when I was grinding alot and I specifically remember you giving me more trouble/playing better than most Nl200 regs on sky. You are 100% levelling yourself way too much. 
    Posted by beaneh
    GET A ROOM!
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: 4-bet Bluffing: NL10 : meh you do yourself a disservice.  I remember playing some sessions where you were on a few of my tables at nl50 or maybe lower when I was grinding alot and I specifically remember you giving me more trouble/playing better than most Nl200 regs on sky. You are 100% levelling yourself way too much. 
    Posted by beaneh
    I've never played NL50. The biggest cash game I've ever played on Sky is NL10 and even that's a rarity. I only play a couple of times a week and unless you make a visit to £2 or £5 MTT's and SnG's, you won't ever see me.

Perhaps you're thinking of a chap called SadLoner... or something similar.