You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

DYM spot (please move to clinc)

edited September 2012 in The Poker Clinic
check fold flop?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
matchew Small blind   50.00 50.00 2277.50
c23lee Big blind   100.00 150.00 2242.50
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

pokermask Fold        
jams88 Raise   300.00 450.00 1785.00
MITSUB Fold        
flushoff7 Call   300.00 750.00 2225.00
matchew Fold        
c23lee Fold        
Flop

• A

jams88 Check        
flushoff7 Bet   375.00 1125.00 1850.00
jams88 Fold        
flushoff7 Muck        
flushoff7 Win   750.00   2600.00
flushoff7 Return   375.00 0.00 2975.00

Comments

• edited September 2012
    Yeah I like m/r-2.5x pre at this blind level

as played I probably b/f - c/f is super weak but I kinda hate c/cing even tho youd be ahead quite a bit. Don't play dyms tho
  • edited September 2012
    raise smaller pre i like to min raise... and c bet flop 1/2 pot

as played c/f is prob safest

• edited September 2012
    easy check fold
  • edited September 2012
    Definitely not just check/folding here. Making the raise pre and checking the flop looks super weak and is very unlikely to be what you'd do if you ever had an Ace in your hand.

C-bet and fold to a raise, if he calls, then you can be in c/f mode I think. But when you check the flop, I think you open yourself up to being bluffed off the best hand so often.
  • edited September 2012
    I think b/f is right but I equally don't really like c/c
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: DYM spot (please move to clinc):
    Definitely not just check/folding here. Making the raise pre and checking the flop looks super weak and is very unlikely to be what you'd do if you ever had an Ace in your hand. C-bet and fold to a raise, if he calls, then you can be in c/f mode I think. But when you check the flop, I think you open yourself up to being bluffed off the best hand so often.
    Posted by Lambert180[/QUOT
    yes in any other format but i dont agree in a dym, its all about survival.
  • edited September 2012
    Less pre, suppose jamming can't be that bad either if you are prepared to jam lots of hands

Flop seems like a really clear b/f to me, but don't play dyms

• edited September 2012
    Dev - Do you just open shove AA too for fear of being outdrawn?
  • edited September 2012
    Dev - Do you just open shove AA too for fear of being outdrawn?
    Posted by Lambert180
    i do Paul if there are enough chips already in the pot in relation to my chip stack.
    AA is only the best starting hand but it's not always the best finishing hand ,which is the only hand that matters.

i wouldn't in this case here though with only 150 chips to win.
    dev
  • edited September 2012
    How come you've replied with 3 different answers Dev? haha. 
  • edited September 2012
    hi jams,
    how you have played this hand is exactly how many players would play it,
    a 3x raise pre-flop
    then check and fold to that bet post -flop.
    and it's not the best way that you could play it.
    you have basically lost 300 chips holding KK the second best pre-flop hand available to you.
    that is about 1/7 or 14% of your chips

when you have KK it is likely that an ace will appear on the flop about 50% of the time.

a better way to play the hand and the same goes for QQ here too,would be;

min raise pre-flop so 100 opponent calls the 100 pot is now 350
    you obviously don't like that Ace on flop, but there are 350 chips to play for,and it doesn't automatically mean that your opponent has to have an Ace himself,although it is likely likely he could.
    you now bet 150/200 something around there,if your opponent has the Ace he will probably just call you here.
    if he doesn't have it,he will probably fold,thinking that you have one yourself.
    you then win the 350 chips.
    if your opponent does have the Ace as you suspected and has called your 150/200 bet ok.
    turn card comes,no king...you now check opponent probably bets and you now fold.
    you have lost 250/300 chips in total.
    but you are no worse off and you could have won the hand and 350 chips if as i said,he didn't have the Ace
    which he won't have some of the time.

if the blinds had been bigger here say 200/400 (even 150/300 that's 450 chips about 20-25%)
    then there are 600 chips 'up for grabs'
    that is about 30% of your stack...you want those chips.they would put you chip leader.
    you could now simply go 'all-in' here,pre-flop.
    it is most likely everyone will fold.great that's what you want.
    you have won all those chips with no risk.
    someone would need a 'good hand' to call you.
    any Ace rag should fold.
    far better than having to play out the hand and seeing that horrible Ace.

ps; i re-wrote this as i wasn't particularly happy with my original post.
    :)dev

pps;as played here by yourself jams,
          post flop.there are 750 chips 'up for grabs'
    bet 200/300 and try to win them,hoping opponent has missed his hand and folds
    if he has an ACE,or pretends he has,and either calls or re-raises your bet,you then have to fold at some point,i think.

• edited September 2012
    How come you've replied with 3 different answers Dev? haha. 
    Posted by percival09
    good question m8,

think i might be 'done in' after all my grinding  lolz

i simply wasn't happy with my 1st reply after thinking the hand through clearly.
    i think the post i have now posted is far easier to understand than my others
    and is the best way to play it.or at least i think it is.  lol

:)dev

ps....time for bed,  night
  • edited September 2012
    Haha. Nice effort!!
  • edited September 2012
    it is likely that an ace will appear on the flop about 50% of the time
    Posted by devonfish5
    Dev'laaaaaaaaaaa.......

Where did this number come from???
  • edited September 2012
    hi DOH,

i'm guessing to start off with that you possibly don't agree with me here,and i'm sorry if i've got that assumption wrong m8.
    where did that number come from?
    well,having just played several thousand + DYM hands,it seemed to me that after about 3 months of playing  kk that this was the case.
    it really took me that long b4 it became apparent to me.
    i'm not saying that 50% is an exact percentage,as you will note the word 'about'.
    anyway,that is how i came up with that figure,and how i then proceeded to play KK from there onwards during the last 7 weeks or so of my challenge.
    i think you have to agree if you have seen my graph in one of my later posts,that playing KK this way and other hands too,would have been a contributory factor,towards this.i would therfore suggest it is the optimal way of playing them,at least for DYM play anyway.
    i'm also pretty sure that it would NOT be the best or optimum way to play them when playing cash.

hope that answers your question DOH.
    best wishes
    :)
    dev
  • edited September 2012
    No offence Dev, but that's like saying, I called a shove with 72 X amount of times and won so it must be right.  You can't go far wrong shoving with KK, cos you'll occasionally get called by worse and you significantly reduce the chance of anyone calling and you getting outdrawn. Getting outdrawn is the exception though, not the norm, and you're probably missing out on opportunties to secure a nice chip stack which is helpful to outlast the bubble.

And yeah an Ace does not come on the flop anywhere near 50%, if you think about it the odds of an Ace coming are the same as the odds of a 2 coming or any other card, so only 3 cards come on the flop, but there's 13 cards to choose from, so there's no way the odds could be anywhere near 50%
  • edited September 2012
    I think its around 25% (roughly) that an ace will drop on the flop if you dont make any assumptions about your opponents hole hards. Kind of makes sense. 3 cards each with 1/13 chance of dropping. Makes that roughly 3/13 so 23% ish

• edited September 2012
    No offence Dev, but that's like saying, I called a shove with 72 X amount of times and won so it must be right.  You can't go far wrong shoving with KK, cos you'll occasionally get called by worse and you significantly reduce the chance of anyone calling and you getting outdrawn. Getting outdrawn is the exception though, not the norm, and you're probably missing out on opportunities to secure a nice chip stack which is helpful to outlast the bubble. And yeah an Ace does not come on the flop anywhere near 50%, if you think about it the odds of an Ace coming are the same as the odds of a 2 coming or any other card, so only 3 cards come on the flop, but there's 13 cards to choose from, so there's no way the odds could be anywhere near 50%
    Posted by Lambert180
    i accept and appreciate your comments Paul.
    but i think you are giving me the 'real poker odds' here as opposed to the 'on-line poker odds'
    and if you think that they are the same then that's fine,but i do not.
    i can not or am not allowed to say anymore than that.
    as i've said,i have just played KK many many times during my challenge playing 15+ tables almost every session.
    and imo  an Ace seemed to come on flop ABOUT 50% of the time.
    as i also said,it also took me about 3 months of playing to discover this.
    and i have also only given my opinion as to the best way to play them.

it's also very easy to back up your theory with quoting me 'the correct odds'
    but sometimes the 'reality' can be very different to what 'the majority' might think.
    i think they once said that 'the Titanic' couldn't sink,didn't they?

(* *)
       ^
    best wishes
    dev

ps; why not prove me wrong?
    take note when someone has KK and a flop is seen,and write down exactly how many times an Ace does actually get flopped.
    do it 100 times.
    i think then we will have a better idea.
    got a feeling you might just all be surprised.
    if you do prove me wrong,which i doubt,then i will give you an apology.
    i'll leave it with you....
  • edited September 2012
    By my quick calcs when we hold KK at least 1 A should flop 22.6% when villains cards are unknown. When he has an A this drops to 17.6%. Obv some of these flops include a K. Did calcs very quickly so may be wrong
  • edited September 2012

3 x 4 = 12, x 2.2 = 26.4% ?

Sorry Dev I wasn't aware of your theory, ofc I was looking for the 'supposed' odds. lol

Whatever you're doing seems to be working at the levels you play anyway, gl!
  • edited September 2012
    3 x 4 = 12, x 2.2 = 26.4% ? Sorry Dev I wasn't aware of your theory, ofc I was looking for the 'supposed' odds. lol Whatever you're doing seems to be working at the levels you play anyway, gl!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    no worries m8

not my theory buddy just my observation and therefore my opinion.
    i've thrown down a challenge to anyone that wants to take it up.
    then we will have a better idea.
    but unless anyone is prepared to do it,i guess we will never know,will we?
    anyway m8,i know what i saw or i guess you would possibly argue,thought i saw.
    as i've already said... someone, prove me wrong.

dev
  • edited September 2012
    By my quick calcs when we hold KK at least 1 A should flop 22.6% when villains cards are unknown. When he has an A this drops to 17.6%. Obv some of these flops include a K. Did calcs very quickly so may be wrong
    Posted by grantorino
    i think these are the important words here,'should flop'
    doesn't mean they 'will flop'

anyways,i'm not changing anyones minds on this one.
    so i'll except that you are all right and i am wrong here.

"just try loading up 15+ tables for 134 days playing 2 sessions some days and playing an average of 3 to 4 hours a day,and playing KK god knows how many times,and see if you still feel the same way.?

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited September 2012
    Dev I aint got the time to do this and dispute your findings, but I know you're wrong (no offence), why don't you try asking Scotty77, TommyD, Lol_Raise, Nutter, or any other player who has probably done 10 times more volume than you, and ask them if when you have KK an ace comes on the flop 50% of the time? lol
  • edited September 2012
    Dev nobody is saying you're wrong or lying - but the fact of the matter is aa will not come otf 50% of the time when you hold kk - that'd suggest the rng is rigged. I believe what you're saying, and that's just the way the cards ran for you. 

I play cash regularly on the site so over the next few weeks I'll make a note of each time an A comes otf when I hold KK and get back to you - obviously it's a much smaller sample size but I'll give it a shot. 
  • edited September 2012

Is the study only when we have KK?

Or how often an ace flops on all flops seen?
  • edited September 2012
    Dev I aint got the time to do and dispute, but I know how you're wrong (no offence), why don't you try asking Scotty77, TommyD, Lol_Raise, Nutter, or any other player who has probably done 10 times more volume than you, and ask them if when you have KK an ace comes on the flop 50% of the time? lol
    Posted by Lambert180
    fair point m8,

as i've said i except that i'm wrong here,
    but i'm simply giving 'my opinion' of what 'i saw' through playing my challenge
    and also i was just giving 'my opinion' as to the best way to play KK.

just for me though mate,
    and just for fun if you like...
    count up for me just how many times an Ace does come.
    i would be interested to know what stats that you come up with..and then please let me know.

(* *)
       ^
    dev

• edited September 2012
    Is the study only when we have KK? Or how often an ace flops on all flops seen?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    yes DOH

this is only an observation that i have made when holding KK

(* *)
       ^
    dev.

ps; and if you think about ,which i'm sure you already have,wouldn't it make sense for an Ace to come 'more often than normal here' simply to induce action?
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: DYM spot (please move to clinc) : yes DOH this is only an observation that i have made when holding KK (* *)    ^ dev. ps; and if you think about ,which i'm sure you already have,wouldn't it make sense for an Ace to come 'more often than normal here' simply to induce action?
    Posted by devonfish5
    Oh dear, it's the actions hands to induce action arguement lol. Few points...

1) When an A comes, that doesn't mean they have it

2) It's probably the worst card to induce action cos most people won't put much in the pot with KK when an Ace is out, so it would have the opposite effect. If they wanted action wouldn't they just deal the other person AA and put out a blank flop?

3) If you genuinely believe the site is rigged, why would you choose to play here?
  • edited September 2012
    Dev nobody is saying you're wrong or lying - but the fact of the matter is aa will not come otf 50% of the time when you hold kk - that'd suggest the rng is rigged. I believe what you're saying, and that's just the way the cards ran for you.  I play cash regularly on the site so over the next few weeks I'll make a note of each time an A comes otf when I hold KK and get back to you - obviously it's a much smaller sample size but I'll give it a shot. 
    Posted by percival09
    ty m8,
    at last,someone has actually given this some credence and is prepared to at least 'investigate' my thoughts.

i never said that the rng is rigged,or suggested it,that would be wrong,wouldn't it.
    i gave my opinion and that was that i thought that when someone held KK an Ace would flop 'about' 50% of the time,that's all.

i look forward to 'your findings' buddy
    and thanks
    dev
  • edited September 2012
    You know, about the whole 'creating action' thing.. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if that were true. Not just with Sky, with any site... but I don't know, and frankly it doesn't matter, but personally I don't think you can write it off.