You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is poker really a skill game?

edited September 2012 in Poker Chat
Its a question everyone has asked themselves once in a while. 

I know in the long term people will say u will win and they will lose but somtyms i feel like im playing bingo- if my numbers come out then its my night.

Some cards just come to set u up even playing everything correctly.

So if people could give some reasons why its a skill game id appreciate it cause im struggling atm, thank

Comments

• edited September 2012
    If poker wasnt a skill game there wouldnt be countless strategy forums.

You need skill to win in the long-run, any fish can win an mtt, any fish can win 24 buy ins at a cash table, it's whether you can play for years making a profit - fish always go broke FACT. 
  • edited September 2012
    of course its a skill game lol 

the art of bluffing and floating and raising with air all part of skill amongst loads of other things 
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Is poker really a skill game?:
    If poker wasnt a skill game there wouldnt be countless strategy forums. You need skill to win in the long-run, any fish can win an mtt, any fish can win 24 buy ins at a cash table, it's whether you can play for years making a profit - fish always go broke FACT. 
    Posted by percival09
    A quick google search reveals a number of roulette forums:)

Prob just scams though

Yes poker is a game of skill with a huge element of short term luck
  • edited September 2012
    I was hoping nobody would search that.
  • edited September 2012
    AND AFTER ALL THESE YEARS, I THOUGHT I WAS PLAYING SNAP
  • edited September 2012
    drat and double,drat,now i no where i have been going wrong daft me:):):)
  • edited September 2012
    hi robbie,
    yes it can feel like u r playing bingo robbie,can't it.
    and yes some nights we win and some nights we lose.
    what u need to do is find a format of poker that suits you,that u enjoy,and from there you then just need to work out the best way to turn those 10 win nights and 10 losing nights into a 11 win and 9 lose ratio.
    that would be a good start anyway.
    many winning players will multi-table 6 tables and more.
    why,because it helps 'iron out' the variance and also gives you more c4p which is always welcome.

on my recent £40-£1040 dym challenge i won £700 from my play and £300 from c4p.
    to just give you an example.
    playing 15 tables was also a massive reason towards this.
    had i for example been playing say just 6 tables,then i'm guessing that i'd be at around the £500 mark today, at best.
    i am not saying that you should do the same.
    but you could do a lot worse.
    playing cash is never an easy road to go down,imo.but obviously more exciting, and very profitable long term.
    with bigger swings involved,arguably,you need to be able to deal with that too.

anyway robbie,
                         when all is said and done, it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks or says,it will come down to what you think and what you decide to do about it.
    best wishes.
    :)
    dev

• edited September 2012
    If it wasn't skill, the best players wouldn't win consistently. The thing to realise though is that short term, the luck factor in poker is massive, and the short term in poker is a lot longer than people think.

For instance, really good cash players will still only be winning around 55-60% of sessions. So, assuming it is on the lower side of this, everytime you sit down there is 45% chance this will be a losing session. So that means the chances of losing 4 session in a row, even as a winning player are around 1in24... now that doesn't sound like much, but if you play 3 times a week (so 150 sessions a year), you're gonna lose 4 sessions in a row 6 times a year, so once every other month. The more you play, the more often you'll experience these losing runs, but the more you should win if you're a winning player.

The key, and the reason winners win, is because they generally win alot more in their winning sessions than they lose in their losing sessions.
  • edited September 2012
    to some yes to others no
  • edited September 2012
    Luck determines short-term results, skill determines long-term results.
  • edited September 2012
    Luck determines short-term results, skill determines long-term results.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    very well said gary :)
  • edited September 2012
    It's all luck !

You don't see the same players cashing/FT tabling/winning MTT on SKY because it's all luck
    You see randoms doing well because they had some luck

If you play just to get lucky then your going to lose in the long run, even though you may win in the short term.

To consistenly win in poker you need to know how to play the game, simple.

So yeah you need to learn the skills )
    And the skills required in poker are actually very broad.
    Not just about playing the cards you are dealt, it's just as important to learn skills such as BRM, controlling tilt issues, understanding situations.
    So it's just not poker skill, certain life skills you need to learn aswel.
    For example someone who likes to gamble with there money, or doesn't value money and throws it around - may have very good cardd playing skills but may not be a winner at poker.

Likewise someone who is very risk averse and very thrifty with their money may not be able to gamble enough.

show me your tekkers !
  • edited September 2012
    It's all luck ! You don't see the same players cashing/FT tabling/winning MTT on SKY because it's all luck You see randoms doing well because they had some luck If you play just to get lucky then your going to lose in the long run, even though you may win in the short term. To consistenly win in poker you need to know how to play the game, simple. So yeah you need to learn the skills ) And the skills required in poker are actually very broad. Not just about playing the cards you are dealt, it's just as important to learn skills such as BRM, controlling tilt issues, understanding situations. So it's just not poker skill, certain life skills you need to learn aswel. For example someone who likes to gamble with there money, or doesn't value money and throws it around - may have very good cardd playing skills but may not be a winner at poker. Likewise someone who is very risk averse and very thrifty with their money may not be able to gamble enough. show me your tekkers !
    Posted by rancid
    Sigh @ you pointing out my weakness lol.
  • edited September 2012
    It's all luck ! You don't see the same players cashing/FT tabling/winning MTT on SKY because it's all luck You see randoms doing well because they had some luck If you play just to get lucky then your going to lose in the long run, even though you may win in the short term. To consistenly win in poker you need to know how to play the game, simple. So yeah you need to learn the skills ) And the skills required in poker are actually very broad. Not just about playing the cards you are dealt, it's just as important to learn skills such as BRM, controlling tilt issues, understanding situations. So it's just not poker skill, certain life skills you need to learn aswel. For example someone who likes to gamble with there money, or doesn't value money and throws it around - may have very good cardd playing skills but may not be a winner at poker. Likewise someone who is very risk averse and very thrifty with their money may not be able to gamble enough. show me your tekkers !
    Posted by rancid
    thanks for all the replys some good points.  But for instance in tournaments one year daneil nagraneu might win 2 in a year, then he goes 7 years without winning a tournament, all because the luck factor.....he didnt get the cards at the right time or his mis timed somthing, or the cards just run so he couldnt get out of situation.  But for instance spain has win 3 major competitions in a row because of the skill in there team is always better, but for poker players the skill matter only abit the main thing will be getting the cards at the right time.  Why doesnt the same player win a few tourneys in a row if skill is so important in poker?

For cash obv skill will matter more because tourneys is more luck but even in cash, somone could go on the wrong card hit the cards and the other player loses hes money after playing it perfect.  He then has to make up for the money he has lost plus profit from it, but if the same thing happens again with a flsh getting lucky what can his skill do to change this?

Also a game where you can play perfect and still lose is hard to believe the skill outweighs the luck.

Just wanted some views to stop the thought of its all luck creeping in, so thankyou for all the views
  • edited September 2012
    Skill will always win long term, it's just that variance is absolutely brutal in MTTs so it can take longer to even out (hence why you need a bigger BR to grind MTTs properly).

Just go to Sharkscope and check the MTT stats of some top players on here... ones I can think of off the top of my head....

Sikas
    Wacko90

(there are tons more, just think of a name you see doing consistently well in the Main Events on here)

You'll see most winning player's MTT graphs go down, down down, big jump up, down down, big jump up etc, because you will go long periods without a win or FT but it will even out if you're good, and the graph will always be going steadily up long term. Sometimes you see posts on here where one of good players has had things go there win and won 3 big MTTs on here in the space of a day or two.
  • edited September 2012

Interesting debate. The main skill required is making sure you have plenty of chips when is your turn to get lucky.
  • edited September 2012
    I just click buttons and hope to get lucky!
  • edited September 2012
    The "luck" part of the game becomes a bigger factor in short stacked play like in MTT's
    To actually get to that point time and time again is just skill

To win an MTT takes a fair amount of luck/run good though, you can't deny that.

To run deep time and time again in a MTT and become one of the all time tournament money winners in poker like Daniel Negraeno - now that's all skill baby ! Just as Phil ivery, Siedel etc.. will be amoung them names

This also applies down here at SKY, where you have name on here who are on top of that comperative list

• edited September 2012
    it's a game of odds. it's gambling, i think people forget that. you have three aims:

to get as much money in as possible when you have favourable odds (IE, the best hands)

to get as much money out of the situation where you may end up with the best hand but are currently drawing to it (IE, balancing pot control with extracting money incase you do hit)

to put as little money in the pot as possible when you have bad odds (IE, binning 72, mucking TJ in a 5-way pot on a board of AAKTK etc)

the people that do all of these better than other people are the ones who will consistently make money.

it's like putting all your money on man united in every game. long term they win about 67% of the time. if the odds were always 2/1 (LOL) you would make so much money long term, even if they lost their first 12 games and drew the next 6.
  • edited September 2012
    If it wasn't skill, the best players wouldn't win consistently. The thing to realise though is that short term, the luck factor in poker is massive, and the short term in poker is a lot longer than people think. For instance, really good cash players will still only be winning around 55-60% of sessions. So, assuming it is on the lower side of this, everytime you sit down there is 45% chance this will be a losing session. So that means the chances of losing 4 session in a row, even as a winning player are around 1in24... now that doesn't sound like much, but if you play 3 times a week (so 150 sessions a year), you're gonna lose 4 sessions in a row 6 times a year, so once every other month. The more you play, the more often you'll experience these losing runs, but the more you should win if you're a winning player. The key, and the reason winners win, is because they generally win alot more in their winning sessions than they lose in their losing sessions.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Where on earth did you get that stat from?
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Is poker really a skill game? : Where on earth did you get that stat from?
    Posted by Jac35
    It's a fairly widely agreed point, there may be a bit of room for a few percent either way, but winning cash players (long term) don't win a massive amount of sessions more than they lose, just they win more on their winning sessions than they lose on their losing ones.

It's in many a poker book, Carlo has said it on 861, and maybe other players have said it, with the variance involved, you're unlikely to ever be able to win more than 65-70% of sessions, and most of us don't completely CRUSH the game we play. Obviously the percentage you win will probably increase if A) you're playing at really low stakes and B) You're playing a super nitty game, but that doesn't necessarily mean the amount of money you win will be more, just that your sessions will be less swingy.
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Is poker really a skill game? : It's a fairly widely agreed point, there may be a bit of room for a few percent either way, but winning cash players (long term) don't win a massive amount of sessions more than they lose, just they win more on their winning sessions than they lose on their losing ones. It's in many a poker book, Carlo has said it on 861, and maybe other players have said it, with the variance involved, you're unlikely to ever be able to win more than 65-70% of sessions, and most of us don't completely CRUSH the game we play. Obviously the percentage you win will probably increase if A) you're playing at really low stakes and B) You're playing a super nitty game, but that doesn't necessarily mean the amount of money you win will be more, just that your sessions will be less swingy.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Thats what i mean though, some sports people are naturally gifted they will win with there ability regardless.  But in poker the best player can turn up and LUCK ruins there game, even though there more skilfull.  So it has to be a game of skill rather then luck, skill takes u a certain way but then luck really decides it.  Theres no way u can be consistantly good at poker because its mainly all luck, the skill part is just getting u in the posotion, u will only win long term if luck doesnt get in the way
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Is poker really a skill game? : Thats what i mean though, some sports people are naturally gifted they will win with there ability regardless.  But in poker the best player can turn up and LUCK ruins there game, even though there more skilfull.  So it has to be a game of skill rather then luck, skill takes u a certain way but then luck really decides it.  Theres no way u can be consistantly good at poker because its mainly all luck, the skill part is just getting u in the posotion, u will only win long term if luck doesnt get in the way
    Posted by robbie1992
    It's widely agreed poker is 20% luck 80% skill
    So skill is the deciding factor long term, but in the short term anyone can beat anyone as the playing field is more equal

Go and play federer at tennis and what  chance do you have - 1% - he may fall over and break his arm and you win by default )

Play ivey in a hand of poker and you probbaly around 20% to win

if you look at football then it's more like 96% skill 4% luck
    varaince in football aye ) weather, referee, linesman etc...  Arsenal always run bad !
  • edited September 2012
    You have to remember though, the luck factor is really what helps winning players win, even though it can be painful at times.

Think of it like this... Chess is a game where there is zero luck factor, there is no hidden information, both players are aware at all times of the full game state. Unlike poker, if you sat down and played the best chess player in the world, you would probably lose 100% of games.

Now imagine the best chess player in the world said, do you wanna play chess for £50 a game, would you play? No, because you are just burning money.

Now poker, the worst player in the world could beat the best player in the world if he ran like god, and it can be annoying when you lose (as the winning player) but imagine there was zero luck factor and everytime a bad player played, they would just lose, lose, lose, dya think they'd keep playing? It wouldn't take me long to give up the game if I lost 100% of the time I sat down.

So these bad players remember the time they called a 3bet preflop with 7To and flopped a straight and continue to do it, they don't remember the other 10 times they did it and just check/folded, or worse called and lost alot more. It's the luck factor that keeps them coming back, and keeps the winning players winning.
  • edited September 2012
    I seem to make a profit at 2p 4p were the skill level is lower but struggle when I play against players that have the ability to read my game. So there is know doubt that skill plays a big part IMO.
  • edited September 2012
    You have to remember though, the luck factor is really what helps winning players win, even though it can be painful at times. Think of it like this... Chess is a game where there is zero luck factor, there is no hidden information, both players are aware at all times of the full game state. Unlike poker, if you sat down and played the best chess player in the world, you would probably lose 100% of games. Now imagine the best chess player in the world said, do you wanna play chess for £50 a game, would you play? No, because you are just burning money. Now poker, the worst player in the world could beat the best player in the world if he ran like god, and it can be annoying when you lose (as the winning player) but imagine there was zero luck factor and everytime a bad player played, they would just lose, lose, lose, dya think they'd keep playing? It wouldn't take me long to give up the game if I lost 100% of the time I sat down. So these bad players remember the time they called a 3bet preflop with 7To and flopped a straight and continue to do it, they don't remember the other 10 times they did it and just check/folded, or worse called and lost alot more. It's the luck factor that keeps them coming back, and keeps the winning players winning.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Yes people wil keep sayng they remember the one time they win and not the 9 times they lose.  But who cares what they remember say it kept happening to u and you kept losing, even thought u no more then them.  How can they be skill, you could no all the information in the world, but its luck no one says luck has to change you could keep running bad, would somone  saying that the player that took ur money will lose 9/10 with that hand help,,.... i dont think so all you know is bad players get the cards come out for them and they won, no skilll in that
  • edited September 2012
    No offence but this is like talking to a brick wall lol. Probability is what it is, the more times you repeat a random event, the less likely it is you'll get an extreme result. For instance if you flip a coin 10 times, there's a 17% chance you'll get 7 or more heads... but if you flip a coin 100 times the chances of getting 70 or more heads (the same proportion) drop to 0.004%

A good poker player's edge is never gonna be THAT massive when taking into account rake etc, the best way to demonstrate this is...

Take a piece of paper and write 100 at the top and start flipping a coin.

Every time you get a head, add 10 to your total, every time you get tails take away 9 from your total.

Gradually you're total will go up but you will inevitably go through periods were your total just seems to be going down. Sometimes it'll be shooting up or shooting down, but it will gradually be going up
  • edited September 2012
    LOL @ comparing Poker to being a sportsman. Poker is gambling you know? You say 'ruined by LUCK' ... luck can be good or bad, it evens out over time believe it or not - 
  • edited September 2012
    It's a game of skill, that's why I keep losing.
  • edited September 2012

i got lucky a thousand times in my recent challenge

(* *)
         ^
    dev