You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Heads up tables

edited October 2012 in Poker Chat

If you want to attract people who 8 table 30 hours a week, you have to feed them. There are many names for this food but a lot are quite disrespectful,  I will refer to this food as a net depositor  (ND).

Some pros sit at heads up tables waiting for a ND all to their selves rather than having to share one between 5 other regs on a 6 max table.

Surly Sky it is more profitable for you to keep 5 regs who spend thousands a month on rake happy by having the ND on a 6 max table as the pros all create rake by playing each other;  as well as creating rake playing the ND. Rather than keeping 1 hu player happy who hardly spends any money on rake.

My suggestion is get rid of hu tables this will create a lot more 6 max tables running at 100nl and above. I also believe we would be able to get 2/5 and 5/10 running every night of the week. Rather than a large ND just playing one pro at high stakes on a hu table. This would then increase liquidity on the site. The site will grow, all the 6 max pros who spend silly amount of money on rake will spend an even larger number on rake. It will also attract new 6 max players to the site. The only people who lose out are the hu players who hardly spend anything on rake.

It would affect me as from time to time I do like to sit at hu tables. However, I believe it is best for the site if a ND is shared between the people who spend the most on rake. Also before anyone says "Heads up is the purist form of the game". That is absolute garbage they are sat their waiting for a ND all to their selves. I have no problem with this they are just trying to earn a crust just like everyone else in the country. I just believe the site will be much better off without heads up tables.

Also it looks completely stupid the lobby at the minute with around 80 tables at 100nl+ but only 6 tables actually playing.

Comments

• edited September 2012
    You make an excellent point Mr AJS.  
  • edited September 2012
    Let's call these players who are Brilliant Headsup, BH's so as not to offend them. 

Maybe a bit extreme to quit all HU tables, is there any other way you could restrict the amount of BH's.. eg capping the number of open tables with 1 player sitting.. or would this not work?? 

• edited September 2012
    Restricting causes problems as there will be squabbling and blocking "I was here first"  "play me or leave"  etc etc.

Other suggestion could be annonymous tables, I hate them hope they never come to Sky, If Sky introduced them I think I would leave.

Ultimatly it is better for nearly everyone if a ND is shared between 5 rather than 1.

As for bh lol. Got no problem bum hunting as lets be honest we only play on sky for the ratio of Pros to ND. Although these days cant imagine its much better than other sites. Bring back 2009 10+ tables of 200nl every night 4 fish per table on sky. That damn download has cost me tens of thousands! (not exaggerating)

Another thing Sky,  Why cant people play though TV anymore?
  • edited September 2012
    This only benefits a handful of mid-stakes regulars. So many players would be less attracted to the site without heads up tables. 
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Heads up tables:
    Restricting causes problems as there will be squabbling and blocking "I was here first"  "play me or leave"  etc etc. Other suggestion could be annonymous tables, I hate them hope they never come to Sky, If Sky introduced them I think I would leave. Ultimatly it is better for nearly everyone if a ND is shared between 5 rather than 1. As for bh lol. Got no problem bum hunting as lets be honest we only play on sky for the ratio of Pros to ND. Although these days cant imagine its much better than other sites. Bring back 2009 10+ tables of 200nl every night 4 fish per table on sky. That damn download has cost me tens of thousands! (not exaggerating) Another thing Sky,  Why cant people play though TV anymore?
    Posted by ajs4385
    Never heard of them . As long as they were restricted they would be quite interesting - Probably more favourable by the low stakes players . I,d definately try them

Paul
  • edited September 2012
    This only benefits a handful of mid-stakes regulars. So many players would be less attracted to the site without heads up tables. 
    Posted by patwalshh
    doubt anyone would leave the site, theres currently 3 hu games going on the site. But them 3 games could be feeding 5 times the amount of regs than they are now and creating more rake for sky.

it would benefit sky as more rake, it will benefit skys most valuable customers which are more than just a handful
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Heads up tables : Never heard of them . As long as they were restricted they would be quite interesting - Probably more favourable by the low stakes players . I,d definately try them Paul
    Posted by MP33
    playing on a table against player1 player2 player3 etc,

I dont think its proper poker (no dynamic can be created), increased chance of collusion/cheating, less skill involved, less fun as cant chat and get to know other players,
  • edited September 2012
    the most lolworthy thing i've ever read on here

you think sky's so special that a decent pro who makes their money doing what you described would just change their profitable game plan and start playing 6max, sharing his profit with others?

he'd just leave and play elsewhere
  • edited September 2012
    the most lolworthy thing i've ever read on here you think sky's so special that a decent pro who makes their money doing what you described would just change their profitable game plan and start playing 6max, sharing his profit with others? he'd just leave and play elsewhere
    Posted by Pipunch
    Dont think you get my point the hu pro may leave but they pay a lot less rake than the 5 six max pros that in turn will be fed and in turn more rake will be created.

If u still not sure what I am saying pm me. Only really applies to 100nl and above cash probably reason why you dont get it.
  • edited September 2012
    Also, I very much doubt alot of 100NL players on Sky would fancy going and trying to play 100NL on 'the big site' instead.
  • edited September 2012
    Also, I very much doubt alot of 100NL players on Sky would fancy going and trying to play 100NL on 'the big site' instead.
    Posted by Lambert180
    the players who sit waiting for action HU will be doing this across multiple sites with around 30-40 tables open.
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Heads up tables : the players who sit waiting for action HU will be doing this across multiple sites with around 30-40 tables open.
    Posted by scotty77
    Yeah I know, I did mean playing 100NL 6-max, but just realised my comment now makes no sense lol

• edited September 2012
    the most lolworthy thing i've ever read on here you think sky's so special that a decent pro who makes their money doing what you described would just change their profitable game plan and start playing 6max, sharing his profit with others? he'd just leave and play elsewhere
    Posted by Pipunch
    So what? Most of the "Brilliant Headsup" players (best term ever  btw pr1nnyraid ) do not ever play 6 max. 10% maybe... 

• edited September 2012
    anonymus tables for the win :) then u wnt know who ya playing simples they do it on other sites get it on here :) dunno y people sit for 5 hrs on 8 tables just waiting for some 1 to join if its anonymus u dnt know who it is any 1 think its a good idea ?
  • edited September 2012
    In theory perhaps, but it isn't proper poker really is it? Microgaming did a similar thing on their network and it seems popular but it wasn't for me...

What we need is rake races, loads of them. Reg on reg action is encouraged by the regs... the NDs will have more 6max tables to play on.

BTW, I think AJS was a little disrespectful to the NDs in the original post. Just because someone isn't good at poker, doesn't mean they are stupid or shouldn't be allowed to play HU poker if he wants to...
  • edited September 2012
     I agree with ajs, we should all share out Redmond lee's money and be done with it!!
  • edited September 2012
    Woops!!!--- sorry!--- I think I misunderstood your motivation there?
  • edited September 2012
    Surely this would be bad for the ND as they wouldn't have the choice of game. If a ND is playing HU rather than 6max, then he obviously prefers playing HU.

• edited September 2012
    I think the pros far outweigh the cons for reducing HU tables. Never looks good IMO seeing like 5 tables at same limit say 10/20 all with 1 person at them and they are different BH's. It would take the most naive player to think that they are waiting to play a friend and not waiting knife and fork in hand for a BD. 
  • edited September 2012
    I never meant to be disrespectful to ND, majority probably arnt stupid as they can afford to play 200nl.

I do agree the biggest problem with getting rid of hu tables is obviously not having option to play them anymore.

However, it is definitly much better for ND to be shared between 5 regs than just kept to 1.

The biggest reason I started this thread is there is less and less people spending money therefore less tables going at 100nl plus. I just thought this would help the majority of people including skys income out.
  • edited September 2012
    In theory perhaps, but it isn't proper poker really is it? Microgaming did a similar thing on their network and it seems popular but it wasn't for me... What we need is rake races, loads of them. Reg on reg action is encouraged by the regs... the NDs will have more 6max tables to play on. BTW, I think AJS was a little disrespectful to the NDs in the original post. Just because someone isn't good at poker, doesn't mean they are stupid or shouldn't be allowed to play HU poker if he wants to...
    Posted by simuk
    There will be a big cash-game Promotion for October, details will probably be announced tomorrow.

+

• edited September 2012

The thread point is noted. Not an easy problem to solve, it bedevils all Online Poker Sites.

A possible solution has been identified, & may be trialled within the next few weeks.
  • edited September 2012

I think "ND" is fine as a generic term. It certainly beats all of the needless & dreadful terms that we often see applied to poker players who are deemed to be of lesser ability. 

How or why anoyone would refer to a player who they deem "not good" in terms that relate to mental illness is something everyone in poker should be thoroughly ashamed of, & work jointly to eradicate.  
  • edited September 2012
    Just had a idea

Only priority club members can bum hunt heads up.

Reduces tables in lobby
    Keeps people who fund this site happy
    ND still got option of heads up play

Only people who are affected are the hu leaches who take the ND sky attract without paying tons of rake like 6 max regs do.
  • edited September 2012
    I think "ND" is fine as a generic term. It certainly beats all of the needless & dreadful terms that we often see applied to poker players who are deemed to be of lesser ability.  How or why anoyone would refer to a player who they deem "not good" in terms that relate to mental illness is something everyone in poker should be thoroughly ashamed of, & work jointly to eradicate.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Got to agree, I hate the usual terms for people who spend money on poker. These players should be treated like kings not insulted.
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Heads up tables : Got to agree, I hate the usual terms for people who spend money on poker. These players should be treated like kings not insulted.
    Posted by ajs4385
    I completely agree with this and what Tikay said.

On the original post, exceptionally tricky to work.  Some recreational or ND players  just want to play HU, they want to take on one person and it's part of their fun so I think totally eradicating the HU tables isn't the way to go.

I kind of favour reducing HU spawning (at present they spawn if one person is seated I think) and making them spawn when two are seated.  However this could well lead to the table blocking issues and squabbling AJS has identified earlier.

Not perfect but the devil in me would like to see the 'sit out' button removed from the HU tables.  Not great when you need a pee and probably unworkable, but would lead to interesting moments.  In other words if you don't post within the time limit, you get kicked.

On anonymous tables, I hate the idea and I don't think this will help either HU or 6 Max play at all.  I don't scour the site looking for NDs but for me playing 5 blank faces is not poker.

Completely agree with Sim that rake races are one of the best workable solutions at present.
  • edited September 2012
    Just had a idea Only priority club members can bum hunt heads up. Reduces tables in lobby Keeps people who fund this site happy ND still got option of heads up play Only people who are affected are the hu leaches who take the ND sky attract without paying tons of rake like 6 max regs do.
    Posted by ajs4385
    I think this is a good idea or maybe something similar in which you have to earn X amount of points before you can sit at multiple HU tables of the same stake per month. 

This is very basic and the numbers are pretty random but it may work something like this;
    0 - 1000 points = 1
    1000 - 5000 = 2
    5000 - 10000 = 3
    10000+ = unlimited

Having said that I don't think it is realistic or feasible for anything like this to be implemented. 

• edited September 2012
    Rake races are part of the bigger problem. Reg on reg action is not sustainable as even if you have a edge against a reg their money is still coming from a ND.

The problem with online poker is sites arnt doing enough to attract ND to the site. eg all skys promotions are geared to high volume profitable players.

However, for rake to be paid or for a reg to earn money someone has to be spending money. This is so simple but I believe is oftern overlooked.
  • edited September 2012
    Remove HU tables above a certain limit for a short period of time and see how it affects the games. If people really want to play HU they can still use 6max tables.
  • edited September 2012
    Rake races are part of the bigger problem. Reg on reg action is not sustainable as even if you have a edge against a reg their money is still coming from a ND. The problem with online poker is sites arnt doing enough to attract ND to the site. eg all skys promotions are geared to high volume profitable players. However, for rake to be paid or for a reg to earn money someone has to be spending money. This is so simple but I believe is oftern overlooked.
    Posted by ajs4385
    That is incorrect - Sky Poker do a great deal to attract new players, & is very successful in doing so, that is where the growth, which other sites currently lack, comes from.

You don't see it though, as it is very specifically targeted & marketed. Such promotions would be a complete waste of money if targeted at the existing player-base!