You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Heads up tables

124»

Comments

• edited September 2012
    at the end of the day etiquette and 'being the best' and everything is by the by.

this game is about making money, not friends or a community or respect or anything else. money. whatever brings you the most money, go and do it. if people curse you for it then who cares.

fair play to them i say.
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Heads up tables:
    Remove HU tables above a certain limit for a short period of time and see how it affects the games. If people really want to play HU they can still use 6max tables.
    Posted by offshoot

this
  • edited September 2012
    at the end of the day etiquette and 'being the best' and everything is by the by. this game is about making money, not friends or a community or respect or anything else. money. whatever brings you the most money, go and do it. if people curse you for it then who cares. fair play to them i say.
    Posted by Pipunch
    Yeah, but you have to think about the longevity of the game (the thing which gives these people a living). Imagine every single 100NL+ player on the site would only play HU and 90% of them wouldn't play each other... so this destroys the amount of rake Sky get, and pretty much destroys the chances of these people making a living, cos no-one will play each other.

You should do what you want, cos it's all about winning money, but in the long run, you need to do things to help the games keep running. Even if doing these things are not as +EV as other options (playing HU with terrible players), they're still ALOT more +EV than there being no games running, which is what would happen if everyone was super selfish.
  • edited September 2012
    interesting thread

personally i absolutley hate the way pro online players refer to recereational plauers as fish/idiots/donators and whatever else

these players have helped to feed them for years and now they have run out/running out they are worried how they might attract them back?

beyond belief

• edited October 2012
    Ok 1st response from me, good idea to cancel HU tables & I play both 6max and HU. I'm literally willing to play anyone HU bar a couple of players. I don't think you can force people to play eachother some battles are personal & are -EV long run. I have to say though I can't help but think this is a desperate plea from AJS as he has noticed his win rate has obviously dwindled severly this year. please note this isn't a personal dig merely an observation. Thats part of the game though I'm afraid & I'm sure everyones has to be honest.  I'm not really sure what can be done really Sky is a small site & it always will be - yes its growing but its still tiny in comparison to others. I'm happy the way it is, as soon as things like software changes happen,  along come the nits with there HEM (I prefer playing the player not the stats) anyone can read stats and react to it. Also the bots will arrive and will be compatible with the site, believe me they exist I have seen them in action on other sites. So this question is, is it really worth changing anything at all? or best to leave the site as it is.. Sky is one of the purist sites left, yes the software isn't lightning quick but you dont get bots & u can't use HEM its as close as real poker as you can get!
    Posted by lJAMESl
    good well thought out post apart from first line.
  • edited October 2012
    Ok, so i'll try and be as unbiased as i can here.. But first of all it is ironic that the player who treats recreational players worse than anyone on 6max tables with regards to etiquette has the nerve to post this kind of astounds me to begin with, though i shouldn't be suprised given previous posts by you. I definitely don't agree with taking out heads up tables(shock i know), reg on reg games still do happen and some recreational players much prefer it over 6max, to just outright delete it seems abrupt without trying other less extreme solutions. This is obviously a very difficult thing to do as all the other sites are trying to find the same solutions. We do kind of have the king of the hill system in place already and from all i've read on the subject it seems the fairest way to distribute tables. I guess the main issue is Sky's software and what it can implement on the current system, can you actually restrict the amount of empty tables each reg can sit? can you give out punishments to people who table block because they aren't willing to fight for a table? etc. so this system is more effective. It would be nice if Sky consulted us with major decisions like this before they go ahead or atleast outlined what solutions they are looking at and what are most likely in their thoughts so no clangers are potentially dropped. As for the incoming chat ban for observers it's clear this was needed so kudos for that. People complaining about lower numbers need to look at themselves on the tables along with obvious external issues, heads up hasn't just come out of nowhere to ruin 6max action.
    Posted by zing
    'Kudos' lol, you gayer
  • edited October 2012
    Sigh @ this thread just becoming a slanging match... Ok Beaneh's response could be taken in a slightly derogatory manner (lol) but at least he had a point, and was making it well. But now this is just silly, how is it relevant how much Percival plays on the site? He obviously does play on here because he nearly did the Jackpot the other night, but volume is irrelevant really. And then we got Pipunch again...
    Posted by Lambert180
    how is this relevant?
  • edited October 2012

This happens everywhere, but there is no solution, if there was a solution don't you think another site would have come up with it. if the HU tables were limited to say 8 /level would be even better for me, limiting tables would make its so only the best HU players would get a table, in which case would mean more money would be taken out of site, as recreational players would have less chance of beating them.

basically whatever you do to try and solve the problem, it will cause a different problem.

Sky works well with cash, and thats the truth. think they should be looking less at cash tables and look more at improving tournaments, ironically i sent some ideas over to priority centre this morning regarding stt and mtt.

dont forget Sky is a stand alone site, and it has similar traffic on 6 max cash tables as do big networks such as ipoker and entraction, entraction has recently closed, or is soon too as traffic is so low, on there there are no games above 200 nl and only a few of them going daily. This network had 50+ skins, and is open to all of Europe, unlike skys UK only. Only site similarar to sky is PKR as it is a stand alone site sky has much better traffic, only thing they have better there is there are regularly 1k 6 max nl games going, but then again it is in $ so its like our 500 nl games, and these also run every day, and 90% of the time is a deepstack/mastercash.

I play ring and HU although i prefer HU, as i like the pace of the game, this is the same for recreational players too, sometimes you just want a fast paced action game. I play ring games also cos if i solely played HU, i would not earn enough. and lately have been playing more mtts and sit and goes, as money doesnt come as easy as it used to, so i have adapted, branched out and play all variations on the game.

To sum up the people that are moaning, should work on there game, maybe try different variations, this is online poker its not a charity. to survive you must work hard.

• edited October 2012
    whilst this is bumped i'm pretty sure you have increased the number of 200nl heads up tables spawning which is an interesting solution
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Heads up tables : Yeah, but you have to think about the longevity of the game (the thing which gives these people a living). Imagine every single 100NL+ player on the site would only play HU and 90% of them wouldn't play each other... so this destroys the amount of rake Sky get, and pretty much destroys the chances of these people making a living, cos no-one will play each other. You should do what you want, cos it's all about winning money, but in the long run, you need to do things to help the games keep running. Even if doing these things are not as +EV as other options (playing HU with terrible players), they're still ALOT more +EV than there being no games running, which is what would happen if everyone was super selfish.
    Posted by Lambert180
    so basically the solution is to play in a 6max game where 4/5 sharks have to dodge each other to feed on the fish? LOL.

some people are so short sighted. the industry will NEVER run out of fish. so you might have to play elsewhere to find them. so what? and there are only a few on here that purely sit on HU tables and they mostly sit empty. the original post is just someone whining cause the easy games have dried up for him
  • edited October 2012
    To sum up the people that are moaning, should work on there game, maybe try different variations, this is online poker its not a charity. to survive you must work hard.
    Posted by Keysasoze6
    but just sitting at 5/10 HU waiting for a rec player to come and play you is the complete opposite of what you have just described
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Heads up tables : but just sitting at 5/10 HU waiting for a rec player to come and play you is the complete opposite of what you have just described
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    im not entirely sure what you mean by that, please explain to me further.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Heads up tables : im not entirely sure what you mean by that, please explain to me further.
    Posted by Keysasoze6[/QUOTE

I think i understand what you are saying, basically your saying im only waiting for rec players on 1k nl? this is a half truth as the higher the limit the bigger the edge i want, but on 500 nl and lower i will not turn down many games, you should know this as i have racked up over 5k hands with you personally HU at 500 nl and 1k nl possible 2k hands or something. if thats what you are implying, you are the player i least expected to say that.

also improving your game doesnt only come from playing good players, this is also possible by watching training videos etc
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Heads up tables : im not entirely sure what you mean by that, please explain to me further.
    Posted by Keysasoze6
    you just said about how you need to adapt to surive, constantly try to improve etc to carry on in poker which is 100% true in 6max games.

but people who are too lazy/stupid to do this just sit at 5/10 hu and wait for someone they have a big edge over to play. it's like the complete opposite of how someone "should" develop their poker career.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Heads up tables : you just said about how you need to adapt to surive, constantly try to improve etc to carry on in poker which is 100% true in 6max games. but people who are too lazy/stupid to do this just sit at 5/10 hu and wait for someone they have a big edge over to play. it's like the complete opposite of how someone "should" develop their poker career.
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    edit: this isnt aimed at you specifically at all
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Heads up tables : edit: this isnt aimed at you specifically at all
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Ah i see, what your saying. and i agree that the HU cotchers will not improve there game playing the dweebs, but they aren't the ones complaining they just sit there thats the problem. but as i said this cant be solved. but the people that are angry about it (AJS) instead of complaining theres no dweebs for him, as its his job he should try to get an edge over his competitors in the 6max ring games rather than begging for free money. i play 6max, and im nowhere near the ability of some the regs on here, but i still profit from it.

and failing that, if your too lazy to improve then as the old saying goes 'if you cant beat them, join them.' just means you will have to put in 12 hours a day, rather than the average 10 hours/week you put in currently ajs

• edited October 2012
    Rememeber that 'WeAreOnTV' guy. he only waited for the uber uber weak players, he would turn down games i would see as insane value. the longer these players do this, inevitably the weaker they get, and the game over takes them. where is WeAreOnTV now?
  • edited October 2012
    Rememeber that 'WeAreOnTV' guy. he only waited for the uber uber weak players, he would turn down games i would see as insane value. the longer these players do this, inevitably the weaker they get, and the game over takes them. where is WeAreOnTV now?
    Posted by Keysasoze6
    Bumhunting elsewhere, without a doubt.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Heads up tables : Bumhunting elsewhere, without a doubt.
    Posted by CoxyLboro
    More likely skint, prob got to the point where the bums where better than him :-)