You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Hmmm spot vs nit to get into profit: thoughts?

edited October 2012 in The Poker Clinic
nitty SB c/r on flop - will he fold to a 4bet - odds against I reckon
and you have an idiot gs & a medium fd - and position
would not call and see the turn be a better way to use your strength - ie position - given that you are most likely behind at the moment?

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Havent posted in awhile and this kind of feels like an interesting spot.

Been running pretty bad for awhile.  No drama's, is what it is.

Live Nl100.  Effective stack is 140bigs or so.

Game is winding down.  Am basically even on the night, feel have edge on oppos, just no hands of merit or real spots.  Table is pretty unbluffable as call downs very light.

4 handed.  Am in BB with 9d10d.  utg limps as does button, as does SB.  Everyone is relatively deep, but stack of oppo is 140bigs ish. Just looking to create a spot so make it £4 just hoping for a favourable flop for most part, uber unlikely to be limp 3bet @ this table in this spot.

All seats call.  £16 in pot KdQs4d.  SB checks I open for £7, just to get something started, yet be able to call a likely raise.  All seats fold other than nitty SB who c/r's to £23.  My image is very solid also.

Am obv happy with my equity but oppo will very rarely c/r a hand he will fold here.  He will be strong always, but oppo prefers to play smaller pots so is very unlikely to have a draw.

Based on equity and action killing turn cards, plus my happiness to GII here at highest point of equity to create a win on the evening, reloading when it goes south, I commit to £62, fully expecting a ship behind.

How do we feel?  Just full on spew mode or standard GII equity spot.  As said, oppo is a nit.  Much more likely to have a set, 2pr than bigger draw as played.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Hmmm spot vs nit to get into profit: thoughts?:
    nitty SB c/r on flop - will he fold to a 4bet - odds against I reckon and you have an idiot gs & a medium fd - and position would not call and see the turn be a better way to use your strength - ie position - given that you are most likely behind at the moment?
    Posted by GELDY
    Sorry Geldy, fleshed out opening post.

Agree with your line some of the time.  In this spot Oppo will just shutdown on all scary turn cards and open big on the safe ones however.

Am comfortable GII (getting it in) here or picking it up as is.  But there will be no value to be had vs nitty oppo on transparent turns and kind of leave ourself in ugly territory with bricks.  Bit of a hmmm spot as I said.  Not sure either way. Being well rolled made it feel like a snap but..hmmmmm
  • edited October 2012
    From what you've said, calling seems bad if you're not gonna get paid anything when you do hit, and when you don't you're just gonna have lost that bet. And opponent is never check/raise/folding, so if you discount any FE and just assume that we have 9 diamonds, and 3 jacks to hit, that makes you about 52% favourite by my workings.

If you fancy a spin :)
  • edited October 2012

Opponents most likely hands are 44 and KQ w/ reads given. 

So if we get it in................

equity win tie      pots won pots tied
    Hand 0: 37.197%   37.20% 00.00%          4419        0.00   { Td9d }
    Hand 1: 62.803%   62.80% 00.00%          7461        0.00   { 44, KQs, KQo }

£46 in pot, £16 to call, nearly 3.9/1 immediate odds to hit 1 of 12 outs we think we have on the turn, which is about 24% (almost exactly 3.9/1).

So even if he shuts down 100% and we don't get another penny when we hit, you're still making a break even call otf. 

Also I don't believe anyone shuts down 100% on every good turn for us.

If a red jack comes, I don't think he's going to c/f his 444 for example. 

Call!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited October 2012
    sb just makes up so could have draw/set/2 prs

you say oppo doesn't wanna play big pots so oppo must have something they want to get it all in with - right

how happy are you with your hand, reverse implied odds but how likely is it oppo has a bigger draw
    is oppo more likely to c/c w/draw

if you put oppo on set/2 prs then how is you FD+GD now ? Don't think it's that close, your probably 40% versus 2 prs - not so good shape versus sets - do you have any fold equity - does oppo ever c/r bluffs multi way ?

Probably just call the c/r with position - if you have any FE then do you what you did

• edited October 2012
    From what you've said, calling seems bad if you're not gonna get paid anything when you do hit, and when you don't you're just gonna have lost that bet. And opponent is never check/raise/folding, so if you discount any FE and just assume that we have 9 diamonds, and 3 jacks to hit, that makes you about 52% favourite by my workings. If you fancy a spin :)
    Posted by Lambert180
    Yeah pretty much this.

DOh:  Not really looking for a break even spot tbh.  Feeling like all my outs are live in this spot as oppo has tendancy to keep pots smaller on draws.  When C/ring here his range is more often going to be sets 2prs and maybe Aq/K.  Dont think i've ever seen him inflate a pot without a made hand.  Dont really like just calling in this spot tbh.  Turn bricks and we are left likely folding or equity shipping.  Both of which I hate.  Felt more comfortable getting GII vs nit holding a hand he cant fold with high equity for a decent profit on the night.  If board runs out a brick am still going to feel like I gave self best chance to win fo a pot worth taking, rather than  being in uglysville on turn.

Think we can assume next to 0 FE.  Am not going to complain if he nit folds AK tho :p  Kind of why it was a weird spot though.  Recognising next to 0 FE but quite sure nit shutsdown if I make my hand
  • edited October 2012

I don't think it's a break even spot when we call coz we still have some implied odds. I don't believe he plays perfectly on the turn/river the times we hit. We have 3 disguised jacks. 

He will also try and house up probably so we get at least 1 street when we hit. 

Calling is definitely +ev imo. And at very least, neutral ev. 

-----------------------------------

Getting it in.......

We have £109xbb behind. 

Pot is 46xbb. 

He's never going to fold to our shove so lets assume his raise is a shove.

So the pot is now hypothetically £155, and it's £109 to call.....

1.42/1 = 40%

Against KQ/44, we have 37% equity, so getting it in is also +ev. 

-----------------

If we make assumptions .....

a) we call and hit, we never get any more action.

b) we shove, he never folds.

Then shoving is prob your better option anyway. 

Don't agree with assumption a though, but you know the player better than I do.

Conclusion

As long as you don't fold, you're gonna make money long term whatever u do :)

........... I think ...............

• edited October 2012
    I don't think it's a break even spot when we call coz we still have some implied odds. I don't believe he plays perfectly on the turn/river the times we hit. We have 3 disguised jacks.  He will also try and house up probably so we get at least 1 street when we hit.  Calling is definitely +ev imo. And at very least, neutral ev.  ----------------------------------- Getting it in....... We have £109xbb behind.  Pot is 46xbb.  He's never going to fold to our shove so lets assume his raise is a shove. So the pot is now hypothetically £155, and it's £109 to call..... 1.42/1 = 40% Against KQ/44, we have 37% equity, so getting it in is also +ev.  ----------------- If we make assumptions ..... a) we call and hit, we never get any more action. b) we shove, he never folds. Then shoving is prob your better option anyway.  Don't agree with assumption a though, but you know the player better than I do. Conclusion As long as you don't fold, you're gonna make money long term whatever u do :) ........... I think ...............
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Nice post.

Just speaking for myself, stacks arent set up right to 3bet shove.  But as I typed this  <------  (:p)  I think you actually are likely right.  Mainly just to avoid the situation where oppo flats looking for a brick turn to ship.

Had I believed this particular oppo would have paid me off if I had flatted, I think I would have flatted the cr.  The 3bet was on the basis that he would shutdown alot of the time.  He is never bluffing and unlikely to have a draw.  It all went in on flop and he called Ad10d or 9d10d so felt like it was right decision however it went.  He held Q4o
  • edited October 2012
    So the pot is now hypothetically £155, and it's £109 to call..... 1.42/1 = 40% 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I think I may have gone wrong here. 

is the 40% the equity we need, or the price we're getting?

nvm too much maths is killing my head.

"feeling brain dead constantly killed me a little" - The_don90

Close anyway, can't be too bad. gamble!

Did we get there?
  • edited October 2012
    Of course :p  Had to wait two whole streets though.  Didnt hugely care if it bricked out though. Was happy enough with line at time but then hmmmmmmmmmm....  You know me, situational as always :p

tbh didnt obsess about the math too much in the hand, beyond the obv.  Think we can comfortably discount a bigger draw given particular oppo & line.  So just happy spinning with as much money in on flop as we can get in there stacks being what they were.  Still not happy 3 bet shoving but agree may have been best taking everything into account.
  • edited October 2012
    Dohhhhhhh:

46:16 = 2.875:1 not 3.9:1

Lambert:

12 outs never makes us a favourite. If we're up against just top pair here, we have around 40-45% chance to win.

AMYBR:

You're getting it in on this flop knowing you're behind, knowing that the only thing making it profitable long-term is the money already in the middle, if you can never get a fold from your opponent. I think calling to see a turn is more profitable in the long-term because I agree with Dohhhhhhh that nobody ever plays perfect poker and your opponent is unlikely to immediately lock-up if you make your hand. Your direct odds of nearly 3:1 are good enough to make a call profitable if you only have some small implied odds.

I'm not posting much at the moment because of trouble with my eyes. So don't be asking me follow-up questions or owt. lol
  • edited October 2012
    cbet bigger

not saying your opponents are capable of exploiting you but your bet size screams of 'I WANT TO SEE TURN PLZ'

As played its better to flat, you got a great price to see the turn, and I think its pretty unlikely hes going to just snap give up a diamond turn because if you had the NFD you'd just get it in right.
  • edited October 2012
    shoving over the c/r s only going to be good with FE - if oppo range is wider to include hands that fold = shove
    If oppo does have TPTK then your basically flipping + a % of FE always makes us feel good

think you can call and still get value when you hit

imo think it's a bit spewy to shove with FE -  semi bluffing with no FE is not good

don't think we can say hypothetically we are calling our stack off with 40% because we ain't )

call or shove though FWIW
  • edited October 2012
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh balls.

that makes both my posts utter nonsense then. sigh. 

Only woke up early to do a bank transfer, wish I hadn't bothered logging on here!!!!!!!! 

ha, cheerz for putting me right BL.
  • edited October 2012
    cbet bigger not saying your opponents are capable of exploiting you but your bet size screams of 'I WANT TO SEE TURN PLZ' As played its better to flat, you got a great price to see the turn, and I think its pretty unlikely hes going to just snap give up a diamond turn because if you had the NFD you'd just get it in right.
    Posted by NColley
    Not at all, it was a 3bet to GII on flop believing oppo very rarely c/r folds or flats.  As initially said, was fully expecting a ship behind.  Would have hated to see oppo flat and play turn tbh, its why I agreed that (although stack sizes are slightly wrong) 3bet shoving is likely better than 3betting to force oppo to ship (given specific reads).

As said, the sticking point in the hand is the fact that oppo will be very unlikely to put anything into the pot if we make our hand on turn.  But will fire big on all bricks.  Vs a not so good/nitty player I would definately have flatted.  But oppo is pretty risk averse and always in sigh fold mode (being less likely to make a casual mistake), plus my range is pretty polarised 

Well rolled = spin

Also not 12 outs
  • ybyb
    edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Hmmm spot vs nit to get into profit: thoughts? : I think I may have gone wrong here.  is the 40% the equity we need, or the price we're getting? nvm too much maths is killing my head. "feeling brain dead constantly killed me a little" - The_don90 Close anyway, can't be too bad. gamble! Did we get there?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    its the equity we need, and by my calculations its ~44%, assuming that the opponent is never folding, so if your ranges are right getting it in would be -ev.

fwiw i'm never raising to get stacks in versus a nit here, ambyr if you think he can raise sometimes with AQ, why can't he have flush draws in his range also that crush us?
  • edited October 2012
    Check pre.  Dunno wtf you wanna be doing raising a pot to a pointless amount to then play Ten high OOP.

• ybyb
    edited October 2012
    Check pre.  Dunno wtf you wanna be doing raising a pot to a pointless amount to then play Ten high OOP.
    Posted by scotty77
    yeah +1, when you do a bet/raise it should be for a better reason than to 'get something started' imo
  • edited October 2012
    Posted by scotty77
    I'd be very surprised if you hadnt ever tried to create a pot MW with a hand of equity 4 handed as a game winds down Ryan........ but ok.

I find it interesting that despite the points discussed within the thread this is the most constructive thing that you can think to say.

I think anyone can come up with a host of good reasons to opt to raise out of the BB here, or equally to check.  I didnt really think it was neccessary to lay it all out.

• edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Hmmm spot vs nit to get into profit: thoughts? : its the equity we need, and by my calculations its ~44%, assuming that the opponent is never folding, so if your ranges are right getting it in would be -ev. fwiw i'm never raising to get stacks in versus a nit here, ambyr if you think he can raise sometimes with AQ, why can't he have flush draws in his range also that crush us?
    Posted by yb

tbh I prob shouldnt have included AQ in his range in the thread.  It would be a very outside chance and was kind of just opening the the potential range of different oppos.  It just is far more likely he would have 2pr TPTK or 4's.  I'd typed earlier in the thread that know this individuals tendancies quite well, in that he likes to keep pots small unto he has a lock then value pound, but equally be in perpetual sigh fold mode on ugly run outs.  cr'ing a draw, even a combi draw would be unlikely from this paricular individual.
  • edited October 2012
    Dohhhhhhh: 46:16 = 2.875:1 not 3.9:1 Lambert: 12 outs never makes us a favourite. If we're up against just top pair here, we have around 40-45% chance to win. AMYBR: You're getting it in on this flop knowing you're behind, knowing that the only thing making it profitable long-term is the money already in the middle, if you can never get a fold from your opponent. I think calling to see a turn is more profitable in the long-term because I agree with Dohhhhhhh that nobody ever plays perfect poker and your opponent is unlikely to immediately lock-up if you make your hand. Your direct odds of nearly 3:1 are good enough to make a call profitable if you only have some small implied odds. I'm not posting much at the moment because of trouble with my eyes. So don't be asking me follow-up questions or owt. lol
    Posted by BorinLoner
    I may be wrong so if I am, please explain why, but we have about 2.2% of hitting any given card as the next card (be it turn or river), so 12 outs x 2.2% x the 2 remaining streets, so 26.4% to hit an out on the turn, 52.8% to hit one by the river.

Where am I going wrong?
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Hmmm spot vs nit to get into profit: thoughts? : I may be wrong so if I am, please explain why, but we have about 2.2% of hitting any given card as the next card (be it turn or river), so 12 outs x 2.2% x the 2 remaining streets, so 26.4% to hit an out on the turn, 52.8% to hit one by the river. Where am I going wrong?
    Posted by Lambert180
    we don't always win when we hit.
  • edited October 2012
    also Qd doesnt work (unless we can redraw to a 1 outer :p) = 11outs
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Hmmm spot vs nit to get into profit: thoughts? : I'd be very surprised if you hadnt ever tried to create a pot MW with a hand of equity 4 handed as a game winds down Ryan........ but ok. I find it interesting that despite the points discussed within the thread this is the most constructive thing that you can think to say. I think anyone can come up with a host of good reasons to opt to raise out of the BB here, or equally to check.  I didnt really think it was neccessary to lay it all out.
    Posted by AMYBR
    In live poker, when we smash the board with a hand like 9Tdd if we are gonna get paid off then it doesn't matter if there is 4 quid in the middle of 16.  

Also I think that post flop is pretty standard in that we raised with a pretty hand, got a pretty flop and then got action.  

If we are hating life on this kind of board post flop then it actually makes raising pre even more silly IMO.
  • edited October 2012
    check pre or raise bigger £4 literally does nothing excewpt bloat pot oop with ten high.

call flop raise. getting it in is bad as you say he is never folding on the flop, someone did maths earlier showing its -ev.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Hmmm spot vs nit to get into profit: thoughts? : In live poker, when we smash the board with a hand like 9Tdd if we are gonna get paid off then it doesn't matter if there is 4 quid in the middle of 16.   Also I think that post flop is pretty standard in that we raised with a pretty hand, got a pretty flop and then got action.   If we are hating life on this kind of board post flop then it actually makes raising pre even more silly IMO.
    Posted by scotty77
    Maybe go back and re read?  I said I was more than happy spinning for stacks off flop from very beginning.  Not "hating life" at all...sigh..

Just interested in other peoples thoughs on hand.....
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Hmmm spot vs nit to get into profit: thoughts? : In live poker, when we smash the board with a hand like 9Tdd if we are gonna get paid off then it doesn't matter if there is 4 quid in the middle of 16.   Also I think that post flop is pretty standard in that we raised with a pretty hand, got a pretty flop and then got action.   If we are hating life on this kind of board post flop then it actually makes raising pre even more silly IMO.
    Posted by scotty77
    disagree with bolded part tbh.  i dont get it when people say "well you raised pre with Xy hand and got a nice flop what else were you hoping for" obv this is great flop considering our hand but when we face action from a nitty player we have close to 0FE on a shove which makes getting it in -ev.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Hmmm spot vs nit to get into profit: thoughts? : disagree with bolded part tbh.  i dont get it when people say "well you raised pre with Xy hand and got a nice flop what else were you hoping for" obv this is great flop considering our hand but when we face action from a nitty player we have close to 0FE on a shove which makes getting it in -ev.
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    The real sticking point of the hand that I thought was interesting has kind of got lost.  But I'd be grateful for your opinion on this aspect Lol_Raise:

As you say, (which I agree and stated in OP) we have next to 0 FE here.  We have strong equity, and do believe all our outs are clean other than the shaving off of diamonds pairing the board, still leaving us with 11 clean outs.

If we believe oppo shutsdown on all scary turns, but fires 3/4pot+ 1st to speak on all blank turns, how do we then feel about 3betting to get it in feeling strongly oppo will always 4bet shove (this was line I took, hindsight being 3bet shoving is likely a better line).  If we mentally commit to flipping just over a BI can it be argued that committing at highest point of equity could be fine.  In honesty this was the reasoning within the hand, as vs this particular opponent it would be difficult to extract value once my hand is made, and extremely difficult to play for his stack.
  • edited October 2012
    AMYBR your not flipping, it's -ev if you have zero fold equity in this spot
    If this hand plays another way with the equity you have plus fold equity then it maybe +ev or just neautral EV.
    oppo has only ever got 2prs/sets with your reads so best set up v 2prs is 40% - sets is 34%
    oppo has to fold 25% of the time to make this +ev I think, someone can correct me on the exact percentage required

Semi bluffing is only good when you have FE

I don't know why you think oppo shutsdown on scary turns, you can't know that that sure. It's all about playing post flop poker and not just chucking it in as a sight dog all the time because your going to spew money.

End of the day if we get priced out on the turn then so be it

• edited October 2012
    AMYBR your not flipping, it's -ev if you have zero fold equity in this spot If this hand plays another way with the equity you have plus fold equity then it maybe +ev or just neautral EV. oppo has only ever got 2prs/sets with your reads so best set up v 2prs is 40% - sets is 34% oppo has to fold 25% of the time to make this +ev I think, someone can correct me on the exact percentage required Semi bluffing is only good when you have FE I don't know why you think oppo shutsdown on scary turns, you can't know that that sure. It's all about playing post flop poker and not just chucking it in as a sight dog all the time because your going to spew money. End of the day if we get priced out on the turn then so be it
    Posted by rancid
    Bit of a sweeping statement off the back of one posted hand bud.  Plus we are only playing oppos 120bb stack effective.

Fwiw I make it 49% vs 2pr hands (which is obv the most likely range of hand).  We go from having 49% equity on flop and holding betting lead when we 3bet (yes betting lead is immaterial if we percxeive 0fe - but obv always leaving in a thin margin of spew).  If we flat oppos c/r we head to turn with 25% likely facing an uncomfortable bet size on all bricks and finding it difficult to extract value when we make our hand, especially as hand is played.

I'm just uncomfortable with leaving ourselves so vulnerable to being taken off hand at turn when we take the passive line.  Can make up the difference in % needed in eventual pot size if we are comfortable flipping the BI.  Its not online, we arent multi tabling and crunching hands across 6 tables.