You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Hmmm spot vs nit to get into profit: thoughts?

2»

Comments

• edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Hmmm spot vs nit to get into profit: thoughts?:
    In Response to Re: Hmmm spot vs nit to get into profit: thoughts? : Bit of a sweeping statement off the back of one posted hand bud.  Plus we are only playing oppos 120bb stack effective. Fwiw I make it 46% vs 2pr hands (which is obv the most likely range of hand).  We go from having 46% equity on flop and holding betting lead when we 3bet (yes betting lead is immaterial if we percxeive 0fe - but obv always leaving in a thin margin of spew).  If we flat oppos c/r we head to turn with 23% likely facing an uncomfortable bet size on all bricks and finding it difficult to extract value when we make our hand, especially as hand is played. I'm just uncomfortable with leaving ourselves so vulnerable to being taken off hand at turn when we take the passive line.  Can make up the difference in % needed in eventual pot size if we are comfortable flipping the BI.  Its not online, we arent multi tabling and crunching hands across 6 tables.
    Posted by AMYBR

Maybe sweeping but if it's -ev then it's just loosing money however small it all adds up )
    & it's deffo 40% versus KQ

I just disagree that if we hit our hand oppo will shutdown.
    I guess if it's your read that oppo shutsdown all value hands when scare cards comes and never bets then ok
    but if oppo c/r flop then pretty dam certain oppo going to continue on all turn cards
    Will oppo just c/f sets/2prs on scary turns, I don't think do - oppo will at least c/c
    lets face it, if oppo c/f this spot on turn then wow you can print money IP versus this oppo right )

Do you really think oppo is only going to put you on the draw

• edited October 2012
    Pots size will be £62, oppo has £90ish behind.  There isnt a whole lot of room left for him to manouvre once he opens or takes a c/c line.  As said very nitty, especially so for stacks.

Given action on flop I think my range is fairly transparent.  My reads arent fixed in stone, and I far from think oppos will play optimumly overall.  This hand was posted as reads were strong and knowledge of player was thorough.  It was just a strange spot after being c/r'd by a clear narrow range of hands, but having strong indications that if c/r was flatted it would be very hard to extract any meaningful value on later streets.  This was the basis for the 3bet.  To deny oppo to get away on later streets, being comfortable with effectively flipping a BI.  Not leaving self in a position where life becomes very difficult on turn with bricks.    Am happy to give up the marginal% difference here to ensure stacks go in.  This spot vs this specific player. 

• edited October 2012
    You yourself state that you have 0 fold equity, you have TEN HIGH, facing likely 2pair/set why would you want to get it in?

Even if you win no more money in the hand when you hit its extremely close to a break-even call, which is of course better then making a -EV shove/3bet call.

Why are you randomly removing 44 from his hand all of a sudden? Clearly oppo must have top 2 and you are just trying to convince everyone you made the correct move.

Edit - just seen post when you state he had Q4o. My bad.
  • edited October 2012
    Pots size will be £62, oppo has £90ish behind.  There isnt a whole lot of room left for him to manouvre once he opens or takes a c/c line.  As said very nitty, especially so for stacks. Given action on flop I think my range is fairly transparent.  My reads arent fixed in stone, and I far from think oppos will play optimumly overall.  This hand was posted as reads were strong and knowledge of player was thorough.  It was just a strange spot after being c/r'd by a clear narrow range of hands, but having strong indications that if c/r was flatted it would be very hard to extract any meaningful value on later streets.  This was the basis for the 3bet.  To deny oppo to get away on later streets, being comfortable with effectively flipping a BI.  Not leaving self in a position where life becomes very difficult on turn with bricks.    Am happy to give up the marginal% difference here to ensure stacks go in.  This spot vs this specific player. 
    Posted by AMYBR
    Yeah but by doing this you have allowed oppo to play abso perfect versus you by getting it as a fav, which is +EV for him - while it's -ev for you

Just gambling against the tide

• edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Hmmm spot vs nit to get into profit: thoughts? : Yeah but by doing this you have allowed oppo to play abso perfect versus you by getting it as a fav, which is +EV for him - while it's -ev for you Just gambling against the tide
    Posted by rancid
    hmmm fair point.  I still think its pretty marginal in terms of eventual pot size and likely shutdowns.  I personally still hate flatting flop, although I would flat vs a wider range of players.

If we could factor in some FE it would obv be better but as we cant its pretty moot.  But yeah allowing oppo to play perfect against us can never be good lol :p.  For me it just comes down to oppos very high shutdown factor when we flat and improve or barrell size once we give up lead when we dont improve.  That is my only issue.
  • edited October 2012
    You yourself state that you have 0 fold equity, you have TEN HIGH, facing likely 2pair/set why would you want to get it in? Even if you win no more money in the hand when you hit its extremely close to a break-even call, which is of course better then making a -EV shove/3bet call. Why are you randomly removing 44 from his hand all of a sudden? Clearly oppo must have top 2 and you are just trying to convince everyone you made the correct move. Edit - just seen post when you state he had Q4o. My bad.
    Posted by NColley
    No your right, 44 should still be kept in his range.  %'s in regard to 2pr hands were as a response to specific comments.  As said from very beginning a set is very much in his range.

Not trying to convince anyone of anything mate.  Just debating the margins of getting it in on flop at highest point of equity vs nit who is very unlikely to fold, but shutsdown a high % of time on fillers  Its still very marginal imo vs narrow player type.  Not convinced what was in fact best, but comfortable with getting it in outcome regardless.  If hand doesnt improve I still wouldn't hate the line.  Outcome never mattered
  • edited October 2012
    I think maybe you should reappraise your desire to get it all in on this hand given the nitty c/r oop. With 0FE you are effectively calling the allin, which as we know is never the preferred approach. Save your ammo for another hand where you can be the boss.

So folding the turn if it bricks is no hardship, and you still have a nice pot if it hits.
  • edited October 2012
    so pot is 16 we bet 7 and get c/r to 23  we started with 140bb so now have 129bb left. if he is never folding the flop and u want you 3b/c then its essentially like calling a shove

treating his raise like a jam pot becomes  159 and we have to call off 129bb
    so we are getting pot odds of 1.23:1

doing some maths that i ahvent done in a long time i work out we need 44.8% equity to get it in and be breakeven.

we have 38% equity vs KQ, so 3bet/calling flop is -ev if he never folds. therefore folding to his c/r is better than 3bet/calling it off.

so fold />raise

what about calling?

16 in pot we bet 7 get raised to 23 so we have to call 16 into a pot of 16+23+7=46.

46/16 is almost 3:1 so we need ~25% equity to call
    we have ~25% equity to improve our hand over 1 street so in a vacuum calling is roughly breakeven.
    since people dont play perfectly, even nits we will get action when we improve over atleast 1 street when we get to put money in as a big favorite which overall makes the flop call +ev imo.  (also we may be able to get to see free rivers on say Ax turn cards)

call />fold>raise imo.
  • edited October 2012
    so pot is 16 we bet 7 and get c/r to 23  we started with 140bb so now have 129bb left. if he is never folding the flop and u want you 3b/c then its essentially like calling a shove treating his raise like a jam pot becomes  159 and we have to call off 129bb so we are getting pot odds of 1.23:1 doing some maths that i ahvent done in a long time i work out we need 44.8% equity to get it in and be breakeven. we have 38% equity vs KQ, so 3bet/calling flop is -ev if he never folds. therefore folding to his c/r is better than 3bet/calling it off. so fold />raise what about calling? 16 in pot we bet 7 get raised to 23 so we have to call 16 into a pot of 16+23+7=46. 46/16 is almost 3:1 so we need ~25% equity to call we have ~25% equity to improve our hand over 1 street so in a vacuum calling is roughly breakeven. since people dont play perfectly, even nits we will get action when we improve over atleast 1 street when we get to put money in as a big favorite which overall makes the flop call +ev imo.  (also we may be able to get to see free rivers on say Ax turn cards) call />fold />raise imo.
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Nice post ty.

Your math and % are always going to be better than mine.  But have to ask: 38% equity vs KQ?  Do we not have 11 clean outs? 
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Hmmm spot vs nit to get into profit: thoughts? : Nice post ty. Your math and % are always going to be better than mine.  But have to ask: 38% equity vs KQ?  Do we not have 11 clean outs? 
    Posted by AMYBR
    Against all combos of KQ, our equity will be around 38%. Sometimes oppo will have KxQd, which drops our equity to about 36-37% due to redraws to the higher flush.
  • edited October 2012

Board: Kd 4d Qs
    Dead:  

equity     win     tie           pots won     pots tied    
    Hand 0:     38.620%      38.62%     00.00%               3441             0.00   { Td9d }
    Hand 1:     61.380%      61.38%     00.00%               5469             0.00   { KQs, KQo }

download 'pokerstove'  its free pretty simple to use
  • edited October 2012
    or with a calculator you have to dodge 36/47 cards you can't see followed by 35/46 remaining
    36/47*35/46 = 0.58 => ~42% equity

which if you are playing live and your mental arithmetic isn't quite up to it looks like more than 3/4 * 3/4 = 9/16 => -ve ev
  • edited October 2012
    or just guess like me at 40% ::)
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Hmmm spot vs nit to get into profit: thoughts? :   If we believe oppo shutsdown on all scary turns, but fires 3/4pot+ 1st to speak on all blank turns, how do we then feel about 3betting to get it in feeling strongly oppo will always 4bet shove (this was line I took, hindsight being 3bet shoving is likely a better line).  If we mentally commit to flipping just over a BI can it be argued that committing at highest point of equity could be fine.  In honesty this was the reasoning within the hand, as vs this particular opponent it would be difficult to extract value once my hand is made, and extremely difficult to play for his stack.
    Posted by AMYBR

Can't we use the info in bold to our advantage?

Say we flat call.

There's 47 cards we havent seen.

9/47 give us a diamond flush.

3/47 give us a straight.

So 12/47, you're worried that flat calling on flop loses value because we "only" get his preflop chips.

But what about the 4 Aces?

If we're definitely saying he has either 2 pair or a set, then he dont have no stinkin' Aces.

So 4/47, the next card is an Ace.  If he aint calling our bet on a J then he aint calling our bet on a J either.

And what about T.  We have one of those.  So 3/47 it's a T.  Doesnt he fold to that if he folds to a J.
    And a 9 can make a straight too?

So what is a brick for oppo?

Non diamond 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8 ?  That's only 18/47.

As for K, Q, 4, we dont know what's in his hand, but he does.  So if KQ4 comes and he bets, then we should be glad we only flat called.  He probably made a house and we' be drawind dead.  Failing that, if he only made 3 pair, then we're still only a 20% (ish) shot to win by making flush or straight on river.  [But, if he does check with one of these cards, esp K, and he is a big of a nit as your reads say, and. if we're happy to "GII", then his check on turn is a perfect opportunity.]

So some of the time we turn (more or less the nuts), and some of the time we hit a great bluffing card.  Only around 38% of the time is it the kind of card that our opponent wants to bet big when he speak first.  And some of those are hands we are glad to fold to anyway.

So it he is definitely gonna fold to a danger card, and he is definitely on 2 pr or a set, then we should flat call and use our FE on the turn.

In reality, he could have AA, or AK, or AQ, or Ad and another d.  So we could not be guaranteed to have so many shove cards.  But even then, flat calling gives us chance to make a decision after we have seen turn, and oppo's action.  Which is probably better than getting it all in pre when we think we are behind.

• edited October 2012
    Board: Kd 4d Qs Dead:       equity     win     tie           pots won     pots tied     Hand 0:     38.620%      38.62%     00.00%               3441             0.00   { Td9d } Hand 1:     61.380%      61.38%     00.00%               5469             0.00   { KQs, KQo } download 'pokerstove'  its free pretty simple to use
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Please correct me if am wrong, but when we stove are we not receiving % based on a sample of hands vs specific ranges.

If we are talking about a live hand in isolation (rather than crunching through x no. of MT online) should we shave our equity based upon runner runners and potential redraws?  Have to be honest this is something that I simply dont do live.  I simply just re do the simplest form of math on each street or run it when committing.

Online yes.  Does the huge reduction in hand frequency (live 1 table vs online 4table+) address the balance or have I more reading to do? :)
  • edited October 2012

versus AK your 50%
    versus 2 pr you 40%
    versus set your 35%

If you assign oppo a range of AK/KQ/44 then your equity maybe 43%

Number may not be exact because I am just guessing but just trying to explain the method
    Because I have these rough numbers in my head to allow to make decisions live & online

Just a numbers game, the hand is the same on one table or if your playing across 20 tables online
    If it's -EV then that's what it is

Your initial reasons for flipping were because you have 13 outs, but you have to factor in oppos range or indeed in this case the very narrow range of 2 prs/sets - because of this your equity goes down because oppo has outs that kill yours plus redraws

If you widen range to include draws/one pr hands then it will change you equity again

You can't just say I have x amount of outs and get it in, becuase you have to factor in oppo hand range
    The wider oppo hand range the easier it is to stick it all in with 13 outs for example because you will also have FE if oppo range is wide and obviously you have very good chance of winning -

semi bluffing without fe is not good
    not thinking about oppo range of hands and how much equity oppo has also is not good

The more equity oppo has the less you will have unless you have take some equity back in the form of FE

• edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Hmmm spot vs nit to get into profit: thoughts? : Please correct me if am wrong, but when we stove are we not receiving % based on a sample of hands vs specific ranges. If we are talking about a live hand in isolation (rather than crunching through x no. of MT online) should we shave our equity based upon runner runners and potential redraws?  Have to be honest this is something that I simply dont do live.  I simply just re do the simplest form of math on each street or run it when committing. Online yes.  Does the huge reduction in hand frequency (live 1 table vs online 4table+) address the balance or have I more reading to do? :)
    Posted by AMYBR
    i really dont get this post, are you saying you should ignore their redraws because it only happens once in a few months while playing live? all that would acheive is you thinking you have more equity than you do and end up making pretty big mistakes
  • edited October 2012
    1) Raise pre is bad imo, Scotty nailed it on page 1. You're (basically) never getting folds with a 4x 4way, and making stacks (effectively) shorter with T9s, multiway. If it was T9o, would you just check it in the BB? If not, you're trying to raise T9o for value OOP, against multiple stations. If yes, I think we're committing the "Because it's SUUUUUITED" sin, and should probably step back, re-think, and approach these spots better from here on out.

2) Flop cbet isn't that bad, but this is the trouble we have with our PFR, and we're getting punished for it. With about 35PSB (SUPER-UBER DEEP), we coulda just check-called twice, not expecting to get a fold 4way on KQ5s. Now we're 'expected' to cbet (which is only fine if we think we have FE) and call a raise from someone who prolly has the nuts. Now, the implied odds of binking the Xd or Jx are greatly reduced because of the bloated pot, and we're put in a 'lolwtf' spot, which has only come about because of our PFR. Even if we take the same line w/o the raise pre, we can just bet-snap any raise and look for binkage.

3) As played, and with our reads on villian i think it's a clear fold, unless you think he's willing to stack off on any diamond-ball. In which case, call + get there, check folding anything that doesn't give you the perverbial nutties.

EZ game.

GL out there boys,
    Smitalos.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Hmmm spot vs nit to get into profit: thoughts? : i really dont get this post, are you saying you should ignore their redraws because it only happens once in a few months while playing live? all that would acheive is you thinking you have more equity than you do and end up making pretty big mistakes
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    In complete honesty i've never factored in redraws %'s.  Which is obv a mistake and something I'll clearly have to re think and plug.  Pov up until now has been our clean live outs are our.... well clean live outs.  Too fear redraws that dont exhist when we commit (or are beyond thin) is likened to playing fearful lines and fearing oppo's getting there: being mainly redundant.  But I obviously have to rethink this as its just blatantly simple that it will affect immediate %.

Apologies on long reply, been away for day.  And Ty
  • edited October 2012
    People talking about exact % equity and disregarding the fact it's live and he is probly being raked 5-10%.. 

• edited October 2012
    And again for clarity.  I'm not saying I would always take this line, in fact most often I wouldnt.  Situationally its the  fact that we are 4 handed, winding down, playing vs an individual who will shutdown easily and (as thread stated) just mostly looking for a spot to get into profit as game winds down. 

Obv stacks shorter happy to check option.  If I feel like will get 3bet obv check option.  If I believe oppo will not be so tight for his stack or likely make a stack size mistake on a later street I flat c/r or just c/c flop. 

Maybe I ought to have gone to greater lengths to have explained that this was a mostly situational spot rather than just a number crunch
  • edited October 2012
    Situation is oppo is never folding and your happy getting it in behind

if you happy to gambol as a dog with a buy in then ok, we have all done it )

There are a lot of good posts on this thread, a lot to take away and think about
  • edited October 2012
    Situation is oppo is never folding and your happy getting it in behind if you happy to gambol as a dog with a buy in then ok, we have all done it ) There are a lot of good posts on this thread, a lot to take away and think about
    Posted by rancid
    Definately agree :)
  • edited October 2012
    Yh +1 to the not raising Preflop, really bad reverse implied odds because people are going to have hands like K8dd, A2dd, J9o, QT, JT etc and we're deepish and OOP vs ranges capable of crushing us.

It would be a much more appealing spot to 3bet squeeze, as in the BTN makes it £6 and we make it £26, that way we'll prolly clean some of equity up and get HU with initiative and T9dd plays nicely here (lots of boards to semi-bluff, a ton of post flop FE etc)

As played if you know that your opponent is never going to fold (pretty sure someone already said this) but going all-on becomes the worst option. Calling firstly to make sure the board doesn't pair (can assume we'll be dead a decent % of the time when it does) and being able to fold when it does (we're never making a mistake either here cos we have T high) I think most of the time depending on what he bets OTT you'll have quite a meh call/fold spot but I think you'll very often get paid when a diamond hits even after this action (people are very stubborn in live poker generally)

If you give yourself even a shred of fold equity then the maths around this spot become emtremely forgiving, if you truly have no fold equity then they can be pretty harsh