You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

£500 to £5000..the 'challenge' is abandoned

edited October 2012 in Poker Chat
Hi dev

Hope your keeping well,I think you should have a go.

What levels?

£5:50 to start and then upto £11:00 I suggest

How have you been running since the last challenge finished?

Lee

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Hi all...Dev's back...
    well maybe?

been thinking about starting a new challenge.
    had a few weeks off from playing seriously anyway,since finishing my last £40 to £1000 DYM challenge,
    and had this crazy idea which just came to me...

£500 to £5000... another DYM challenge?

should i take it on?
    especially so soon after my last challenge?
    if i do...
    it will begin on November 1st/2012.

anyway....
    i'll leave it with you....

i don't want to 'hog the GPC' section again...
    "might be able to give 'Wacko' a run for his money though"  lols
    "what a great achievement....£100 to £1000 in 5 days.now he's looking for £10,000. ah...maze...in.
    best wishes with that btw Wacko...i'm sure you can do it."

btw...
    i didn't know of 'Wacko's' new challenge until now,so please don't think that this in any way would be a rival challenge or anything...it's purely coincidental.
    "could be fun though...not that i expect to be able to keep anywhere near him...
    in fact,his could even be over b4 mine has begun."  lolz

best wishes...
    (* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited October 2012
    I say 'Go for it!'

It'll all be contained in one thread, so in no way will that hog GPC. Ayway, your last challenge thread was very popular, I'm sure the new would be too.

Good luck!
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: £500 to £5000...now that's a DYM challenge???:
    Hi dev Hope your keeping well,I think you should have a go. What levels?  £5:50 to start and then upto £11:00 I suggest How have you been running since the last challenge finished? Lee
    Posted by frascati
    hi Lee,
    i'm good m8,ty for asking.
    yes i will start off playing 3x£5 & 6x£3 tables to start off with and see how we go from there.
    if i can either win or break even from the £5's..great. c4p will be good,and i can either add more or less as i go.
    i know i should be ok playing the £3's...touch wood,so that's my starting plan...if i go with it that is.
    if i can get up to £1000 then i will start to think about adding an £11 table and again see how that goes.
    it's all easy in theory,but not quite so easy to execute,as i found out previously.  lols
    anyway,as with my last challenge,i'll give it my best shot and that's all i can ask of myself.

since sept 20th date last challenge finished,had 6 whole days off, lols,(apart from a few freerolls)then
    played some more £5 dym's...badly  lols.i worked it out the other day to about £30-£40 down in total,so still not cracked them yet!!!(but i live in hope!!!)
    b/roll was £569 now it's at £729(with £48.38 c4p to come), so not to bad.( but that includes £97.50 from Ryder Cup win.)

anyway,that's all for now mate,
    hope you are good too & winning a few bob.  lol
    (* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited October 2012
    good luck mate, i will be following with interest.

set the bar high, i like it
  • edited October 2012
    I say 'Go for it!'   It'll all be contained in one thread, so in no way will that hog GPC. Ayway, your last challenge thread was very popular, I'm sure the new would be too. Good luck!
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    cheers Gary,
    thanks mate.
    yes,i'm confident that it can be done,but knowing how much it takes out of oneself ,as i'm sure you know only to well,is my biggest concern.
    if i go ahead with it,i might even or have to have a break 1/2 way through i think,which i'm sure would be ok,even if it was just for a week or two.
    anyway,nothing has been fully decided yet,so i've still got time to change my mind.  lol
    (yes,you know that 'ain't going to happen too.  lol)

hope that you are good mate.
    what's next for you?
    still thinking about u no wot?  lol

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited October 2012
    All the best with the challenge dev, i`m sure you`ll crush it.

There are some very capable players at £11 + if you decide to play these.

I bet your nephew is rubbing his hands!!!!! lol.

Good luck.
  • edited October 2012
    good luck mate, i will be following with interest. set the bar high, i like it
    Posted by TINTIN
    thanks TINTIN,
    just hope it's not to high.  lol

"keep up the good work yourself mate...

ONLY 11 MORE DAYS TO GO"  lol

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited October 2012
    you must be mad
    that'll be 10x harder than your prev challenge
    and unlike mtts there is no binking a big win
    so i say don't do it
    but if you do then gl gl gl
  • edited October 2012
    All the best with the challenge dev, i`m sure you`ll crush it. There are some very capable players at £11 + if you decide to play these. I bet your nephew is rubbing his hands!!!!! lol. Good luck.
    Posted by davelufc
    hi dave,
    thanks mate.
    i know i would be if i was him.  lol

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited October 2012
    you must be mad that'll be 10x harder than your prev challenge and unlike mtts there is no binking a big win so i say don't do it but if you do then gl gl gl
    Posted by GELDY
    good point GELDY,

yes,i know it 's no 'gimmy' and you could well be right.
    but 2nd worst case scenario...i play £3 games for the next 8 to 10 years and get it that way.
    or worst case...i quit.  lols

"not the end of the world,is it."

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: £500 to £5000...now that's a DYM challenge???  still thinking about u no wot?  lol (* *)    ^ dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    On hold for now.

+1 to a break, in fact I'd advocate taking a short break (a few days) as often as once a month. Just because you're on a BR challenge doesn't mean you're obliged to play every single day. Your target is reach a number regardless of how long it takes, not to do something within a fixed time limit. Breaks will keep you fresh, this quest will probably take well over a year, there's no way just one break would be enough in my opinion.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: £500 to £5000...now that's a DYM challenge??? : On hold for now. +1 to a break, in fact I'd advocate taking a short break (a few days) as often as once a month. Just because you're on a BR challenge doesn't mean you're obliged to play every single day. Your target is reach a number regardless of how long it takes, not to do something within a fixed time limit. Breaks will keep you fresh, this quest will probably take well over a year, there's no way just one break would be enough in my opinion.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    thanks Gary,
    yes,of course you are quite right...as always,there is no time limit,well i can't take forever i guess....i am knocking on a bit,53 atm.  lol
    having a break either each month or every so often does seem a very good idea,and one i will probably need to take...even if only to keep me from going completely mad.  lol
    as to how long it could take...
    yes,a year is probably as you say just about the minimum i think,even allowing for me moving up levels,and i know even that won't be easy.
    thanks Gary for the great advice.
    hopefully will be able to chat about it some more near xmas time....over a beer or two.  lol
    best wishes,
    (* *)
       ^
    ian
  • edited October 2012
    I will definitely agree with Gary and say "Go for it". You have done something similar last time so you know what you need in order to get there.

Good luck with it.
  • edited October 2012
    I will definitely agree with Gary and say "Go for it". You have done something similar last time so you know what you need in order to get there. Good luck with it.
    Posted by GreekWay
    ty Greekway,
    i'm definitely in two minds atm,which is a bit worrying.
    my competitive side says go my sensible side says no.
    think i will have to wait until the end of the month to decide.
    ty mate,
    (* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited October 2012
    Hi ya Ian

Whatever you decide good luck buddy.
    Regards
    Mick
  • edited October 2012
    Hi ya Ian Whatever you decide good luck buddy. Regards Mick
    Posted by VespaPX
    ty Mick
    (* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: £500 to £5000...now that's a DYM challenge??? : ty Greekway, i'm definitely in two minds atm,which is a bit worrying. my competitive side says go my sensible side says no. think i will have to wait until the end of the month to decide. ty mate, (* *)    ^ dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    pls don't do it
    i'm sure you would make it - but why set yourself up for a challenge that might last years!
    you can come up with a more succinct challenge - and one that would truly be worthy of you.
    ie 500 double or quits - but only playing 11 dyms
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: £500 to £5000...now that's a DYM challenge??? : pls don't do it i'm sure you would make it - but why set yourself up for a challenge that might last years! you can come up with a more succinct challenge - and one that would truly be worthy of you. ie 500 double or quits - but only playing 11 dyms
    Posted by GELDY
    hi mate,
    thanks for posting again.
    do you honestly think it could take me years to get 5k?
    also,why would you suggest me playing the £11's when i'm only just starting to 'get to grips' with the £5's?
    my plan would be to move up a level once i get the 100 buy-ins,so i'd hope to be playing or at least  trying the £11's when up to 1k.
    i've honestly no idea how long it might take or if i would ever be good enough to get to the higher levels,but i see no reason why not,as let's be honest we are not talking 'rocket science' here.
    how about this as a compromise...£500 to £2500 with a view to review after that?
    :)
    dev
  • edited October 2012
    I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but surely this isn't a DYM challenge, this is just you playing?

I mean, I assume you'd continue to play on and make as much money as possible for as long as you enjoy the game, so this isn't really going out of your way to do anything different. Don't get me wrong, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that but you've been playing DYMs since the end of your last challenge and making profit anyway.

Probably just me being really pedantic, but it's more of a diary than an actual challenge lol.

But yeah I think you definitely shouldn't worry too much about the difference between £3s and £5s. I used to play £5s and I don't think there's much difference in difficulty between them and £3s, although one main difference is obviously the monetary swings you can go through and if that affects you then it's tough.

With the volume you're capable of you could make a really really sick amount of ££ just from C4P by playing £5s all the time.

Good luck whatever you decide!
  • edited October 2012
    I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but surely this isn't a DYM challenge, this is just you playing? I mean, I assume you'd continue to play on and make as much money as possible for as long as you enjoy the game, so this isn't really going out of your way to do anything different. Don't get me wrong, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that but you've been playing DYMs since the end of your last challenge and making profit anyway. Probably just me being really pedantic, but it's more of a diary than an actual challenge lol. But yeah I think you definitely shouldn't worry too much about the difference between £3s and £5s. I used to play £5s and I don't think there's much difference in difficulty between them and £3s, although one main difference is obviously the monetary swings you can go through and if that affects you then it's tough. With the volume you're capable of you could make a really really sick amount of ££ just from C4P by playing £5s all the time. Good luck whatever you decide!
    Posted by Lambert180
    hi Paul,
    ty for posting m8.
    true,i think it is basically a diary but i think it also counts as a 'challenge' in as much as i've given a specific target figure to aim for,and also with some plan behind it.
    yes,i could just carry on grinding as i have been doing,but it seems to me that i've got no real purpose or ambitions,and no 'real incentive'  for the game.at least with this,i would have a starting and finishing point...again.
    yes,we are all aiming to make some money i guess...i'm just aiming a little higher....that's all.
    best wishes,
    (* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited October 2012
    Also Dev, I really don't think it will take as long as people are saying.

Say you were playing 10 tables of £5s which sounds more than do-able from your previous exploits that means you're playing roughly 20 per games per hour, so earning 100 points per hour.

From what I've seen you can put some sick volume in so I'd say at the rate above, it'd be fairly easy for you to get priority every single month, so that's £280 per month, £310 per month once you've been there for 3 months, and that's based on 10k points.

To get 10k points you'll be playing 2000 games per month, so 'investing' £11,000 so even if you had a 1% ROI, you'd be making £110 per month. I'm sure you could beat a 1% ROI but even with them numbers that gives you £400+ profit per month.

• edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: £500 to £5000...now that's a DYM challenge??? : hi mate, thanks for posting again. do you honestly think it could take me years to get 5k? also,why would you suggest me playing the £11's when i'm only just starting to 'get to grips' with the £5's? my plan would be to move up a level once i get the 100 buy-ins,so i'd hope to be playing or at least  trying the £11's when up to 1k. i've honestly no idea how long it might take or if i would ever be good enough to get to the higher levels,but i see no reason why not,as let's be honest we are not talking 'rocket science' here. how about this as a compromise...£500 to £2500 with a view to review after that? :) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    hi dev,

sorry, didn't mean to come across so -ve.
    just that grinding another £xk seems more like business as usual and not a "challenge"
    when you first started your last challenge i'm sure it seemed more exciting than that.
    hence my suggestion of playing £11 dyms
    i know u know i know u know etc etc that that is not a level you have cracked yet, and you were hit by terrible variance when you did try moving up last time.
    which is why it would be a sick challenge for you to attempt.
    but it is really just a concept
    but my suggestion would be for you to try something uncomfortable but short, than comfortable but long

i mean - we all know you can grind until blood comes out of your eyes

• edited October 2012
    Dev v Wacko !      Should be a prop bet as to who finishes first,  it could be very close !  Althogh Wacko keeps binking results ;)

GL
  • edited October 2012
    defo go for it dev and hog the pages as much as you did it was a great read and great to keep up with the grind. i prefer reading real people doing real great acheivements like you and wacko and lambert and garyqqq it lets everyone know if they knuckle down they can get results and wins and they can read to see everyone goes through the same ups and downs but if they stick to it they will too reach any target they set in time

gl drrungood
  • edited October 2012
    Hi Dev, glad to see you're going to be doing another challenge.  Will it just be DYM's or will you be doing a bit of everything.  I remember you playing timed tournies before, will you be playing those too.

Best of luck in whatever you decide mate.  Have fun.

• edited October 2012
    Also Dev, I really don't think it will take as long as people are saying. Say you were playing 10 tables of £5s which sounds more than do-able from your previous exploits that means you're playing roughly 20 per games per hour, so earning 100 points per hour. From what I've seen you can put some sick volume in so I'd say at the rate above, it'd be fairly easy for you to get priority every single month, so that's £280 per month, £310 per month once you've been there for 3 months, and that's based on 10k points. To get 10k points you'll be playing 2000 games per month, so 'investing' £11,000 so even if you had a 1% ROI, you'd be making £110 per month. I'm sure you could beat a 1% ROI but even with them numbers that gives you £400+ profit per month.
    Posted by Lambert180
    hi Paul,
    what you say pretty much confirms my thoughts.
    if i can make priority and even with a minimum ROI,i was thinking it would get me around the £400 a month mark.
    i am leaning towards 'going for it' atm,but if i do then i have decided i won't be posting each day,as i did on my last challenge,but will maybe post results either weekly or possibly even monthly.
    anyway,will just see how things go 'as and when'
    thanks again for your thoughts...appreciated.
    :)
    dev

so
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: £500 to £5000...now that's a DYM challenge??? : hi dev, sorry, didn't mean to come across so -ve. just that grinding another £xk seems more like business as usual and not a "challenge" when you first started your last challenge i'm sure it seemed more exciting than that. hence my suggestion of playing £11 dyms i know u know i know u know etc etc that that is not a level you have cracked yet, and you were hit by terrible variance when you did try moving up last time. which is why it would be a sick challenge for you to attempt. but it is really just a concept but my suggestion would be for you to try something uncomfortable but short, than comfortable but long i mean - we all know you can grind until blood comes out of your eyes
    Posted by GELDY
    hi buddy,
    i'm sorry too if my reply seemed a little negitive.
    i'm getting the feeling that what i am thinking of doing is not being perceived as 'a challenge' which i am finding hard to deal with tbh.
    if i was to carry on 'grinding'then why would anyone be interested in this,of course they wouldn't,and it would then maybe come across as a kind of 'brag' post,wouldn't it?
    but as i am giving specific figures here,which less face it are on the 'big' side,by that i mean i am attempting to increase my b/roll 10 fold,which isn't exactly a bad thing imo,or exactly 'easy' either.
    ok,so let's not call this 'a challenge' then and simply call it 'just another grind'
    if we are all happy with that?...then i'm happy too.
    as for the £11's....
    yes,i could go down that route i guess.
    i'm sure it would be exciting and also frustrating too at times for me,but do i really want that?
    isn't this all about 1 thing and 1 thing only...trying to reach £5,000?
    but why risk it playing the £11's when 'my way' is almost 100% certain to succeed....i think!!!
    anyway...
    i thing is certain..."i can't please all of the people all of the time" so i'll give up trying.
    (* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited October 2012
    Dev v Wacko !      Should be a prop bet as to who finishes first,  it could be very close !  Althogh Wacko keeps binking results ;) GL
    Posted by 1267
    hi 1267

i wouldn't even take 5000/1 on myself...  lol

think that says it all.

nice idea though.

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited October 2012
    defo go for it dev and hog the pages as much as you did it was a great read and great to keep up with the grind. i prefer reading real people doing real great acheivements like you and wacko and lambert and garyqqq it lets everyone know if they knuckle down they can get results and wins and they can read to see everyone goes through the same ups and downs but if they stick to it they will too reach any target they set in time gl drrungood
    Posted by DrRunGood
    thank you Dr,
    very nice words.
    i just don't want people thinking...oh,here he goes again....same old same old...i could do that if i wanted to...
    sort of thing.
    because it really isn't like that.i think i am the sort of guy that simply 'get's bored' with the usual day in day out kind of 'grind' stuff ...believe it or not,unless...i have a reason to 'grind'...such as this would give me.
    i get lazy without these kind of targets i set myself and i need them to keep on pushing myself forwards.
    maybe my next one will be £5000 to £50,000...who knows?
    (* *)
       ^
    dev

• edited October 2012
    Hi Dev, glad to see you're going to be doing another challenge.  Will it just be DYM's or will you be doing a bit of everything.  I remember you playing timed tournies before, will you be playing those too. Best of luck in whatever you decide mate.  Have fun.
    Posted by Dagnamit
    hi mate,

ty buddy.the plan atm is just DYM but i guess there is no reason why i shouldn't play the odd 'tournie' here & there.maybe on Sunday evenings i'll have a night off from dym and see what tournies catch my good eye.
    only played a few 'timed tournies' but made a profit from them.
    don't know if it would be possible to make a great return from them,but i guess like everything else...it's all beatable.i just find DYM suits my game the best so i've obviously stuck with them.
    i did play a little nl4 cash last Friday & Saturday..6 tables, just for a change...think i ended up losing £0.03  lol.
    good point you make at the end...'have fun'...always enjoy it mate..good days & bad...they go together hand in hand.
    best wishes
    (* *)
       ^
    dev