You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

£500 to £5000..the 'challenge' is abandoned

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Hey Dev.

Firstly dont be a wally ahah, did you think people would have a go at your or say you were copying me by doing a similar challenge?:P I loved your last thread, I didnt post much as I generally just read on the forum but it really was great, Id be quite happy to have your diary on the front page every morning.

With regards to the challenge. I am in no position to offer advice, I cant play DYM's, have tried in the past and tbh they kinda bore me, but if its your thing then go for it. Just dont want you to find your bored after months of grinding them and lose interest. It was always good to read your posts and diary, think everyone knows your a great bloke. I say go for it. Or maybe £500 to £2500 who knows. End of the day itss your choice and it depends how motivated you are to play them.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: £500 to £5000...now that's a DYM 'grind':
    Hey Dev. Firstly dont be a wally ahah, did you think people would have a go at your or say you were copying me by doing a similar challenge?:P I loved your last thread, I didnt post much as I generally just read on the forum but it really was great, Id be quite happy to have your diary on the front page every morning. With regards to the challenge. I am in no position to offer advice, I cant play DYM's, have tried in the past and tbh they kinda bore me, but if its your thing then go for it. Just dont want you to find your bored after months of grinding them and lose interest. It was always good to read your posts and diary, think everyone knows your a great bloke. I say go for it. Or maybe £500 to £2500 who knows. End of the day itss your choice and it depends how motivated you are to play them.
    Posted by Wacko90
    thank you Wacko,
    very nice words.
    i might just change it and play a few tournaments and get it that way lol....you are making it look 'as easy as pie'...or is it pye?i never know. congratulations ,it's just so impressive.long may it continue for you.
    yes,i could find myself getting bored i guess and making it £2,500 makes sense,but once i get to that figure i'll only have a little rest...get bored again and probably start another one up anyway  lol, so i might just as well keep it where it is now.
    best wishes Wacko,i'll follow your challenge with interest.gl
    (* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited October 2012
    just go for it -) start at £11's

make it a bit more intresting than Dev grinds DYM's _) again !

good luck w/e u decide
  • edited October 2012
    peepz need to stop w/ the nit picking. Challenge/grind/diary. w.e.

Go for it. I'm sure you'll get a lot of people who will be interested in your progress, and who doesn't wanna make £5k?

It's almost a challenge of your ability to play for such a long period of time, and remaining focused, rather than your ability to do it. I think we all know you can do this, but it could take 92 years. 

glglglgl
  • edited October 2012
    Hey Dev,

Good to hear from you.Best of luck with whatever you try, I am sure you will get the result your looking for.I for one missed your thread it was always  a nice read.

Run golden pal.

Pat
  • edited October 2012
    good Luck Dev see ya at the tables mate

Gary
  • edited October 2012
    just go for it -) start at £11's make it a bit more intresting than Dev grinds DYM's _) again ! good luck w/e u decide
    Posted by rancid
    hi Rancid,
    ty m8,
    i'll only be playing the £11's with 100 buy-ins behind me,and even then with great caution....
    i'm still getting over the last time.  lol
    if you can come up with a better title and i like it...i'll use it.
    (
    or have i miss read it and you mean i should start at the £11's to make the grind more exciting?)
    (* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited October 2012
    peepz need to stop w/ the nit picking. Challenge/grind/diary. w.e. Go for it. I'm sure you'll get a lot of people who will be interested in your progress, and who doesn't wanna make £5k? It's almost a challenge of your ability to play for such a long period of time, and remaining focused, rather than your ability to do it. I think we all know you can do this, but it could take 92 years.  glglglgl
    Posted by percival09
    ty m8,
    staying focused is the easy bit...i'll have 5000 reasons to do that.  lol
    bit concerned about taking 92 yrs though  lol

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited October 2012
    Hey Dev, Good to hear from you.Best of luck with whatever you try, I am sure you will get the result your looking for.I for one missed your thread it was always  a nice read. Run golden pal. Pat
    Posted by day4eire76
    ty Pat,
    looks as though i'll be going for it,unless i come up with a better plan between now & Nov 1st...
    or someone can give me a really good reason why i shouldn't do it.

best wishes,
    (* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited October 2012
    good Luck Dev see ya at the tables mate Gary
    Posted by Largearce
    ty Gary,
    looking forward to it buddy...
    be lucky
    (* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited October 2012
    Hi Dev,

Sorry it's taken me so long to post on this, have meant to from the start, just been super busy. Personally, I think the challenge is perfect for you and I think it's a great idea. FWIW, here are a few of my thoughts on what's already been mentioned:

1) I think it's undoubtedly, 'a challenge'. Namely, to spin £500 into £5,000.
    2) I think you're the perfect man for the challenge. You've already shown your commitment and it is clear that you have the mindset to grind DYMs without getting fed up. There will be downswings and possibly quite brutal ones during this tougher challenge but you've already shown you can handle all the adversity that variance throws up in your previous challenge.
    3) I think (and kind of hope) that during the course of this you will eventually progress into £11s. If not, at least get really comfortable in the £5.50s. You are definitely capable of both these in my opinion. Rakeback will obviously be a big part of this challenge and, if you could get yourself acquainted with the £11s, you are capable of earning £1,000+ per month in C4P (!).
    4) I would put a timescale on this of 9-12 months. I think the mentions of this taking years are well wide of the mark, to be honest. I would even say 6-12 months if you went down the route of getting into the £11s asap.
    5) £5,000 is ALOT of money to 99% of people. I think it's been overlooked in this thread exactly what an achievement that would be. Think about what you could do with that money. You could do so much. You could even leave enough in your account to comfortably make £1,000+ per month C4P and still do plenty of other things.

I hope you go for this mate and I, and so many other community regs, will be chuffed to bits for you on it's (inevitable) successful completion. The very best of luck.

JC
  • edited October 2012
    Hi Dev, Sorry it's taken me so long to post on this, have meant to from the start, just been super busy. Personally, I think the challenge is perfect for you and I think it's a great idea. FWIW, here are a few of my thoughts on what's already been mentioned: 1) I think it's undoubtedly, 'a challenge'. Namely, to spin £500 into £5,000. 2) I think you're the perfect man for the challenge. You've already shown your commitment and it is clear that you have the mindset to grind DYMs without getting fed up. There will be downswings and possibly quite brutal ones during this tougher challenge but you've already shown you can handle all the adversity that variance throws up in your previous challenge. 3) I think (and kind of hope) that during the course of this you will eventually progress into £11s. If not, at least get really comfortable in the £5.50s. You are definitely capable of both these in my opinion. Rakeback will obviously be a big part of this challenge and, if you could get yourself acquainted with the £11s, you are capable of earning £1,000+ per month in C4P (!). 4) I would put a timescale on this of 9-12 months. I think the mentions of this taking years are well wide of the mark, to be honest. I would even say 6-12 months if you went down the route of getting into the £11s asap. 5) £5,000 is ALOT of money to 99% of people. I think it's been overlooked in this thread exactly what an achievement that would be. Think about what you could do with that money. You could do so much. You could even leave enough in your account to comfortably make £1,000+ per month C4P and still do plenty of other things. I hope you go for this mate and I, and so many other community regs, will be chuffed to bits for you on it's (inevitable) successful completion. The very best of luck. JC
    Posted by JohnConnor
    hi jc,

thanks for posting JC
    and what a great post it is.
    this is the moment i've been hoping for ever since i posted up about the possibility of me taking on this 'challenge'  lol
    i am off to work now,so i can't give a full reply now,but i will as soon as i am finished...which might not be to long looking outside at the weather.  lol
    funny too,i was watching you play the £3's last night,trying to learn as ever from 'the master'  lol
    looked as though you had quite a rough night mate,which i can deffo relate to,had plenty there myself.haven't i .  lol
    anyway,i'll post again shortly.
    best wishes & thanks mate.
    (* *)
       "
    dev
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: £500 to £5000...now that's a DYM 'grind' : hi Rancid, ty m8, i'll only be playing the £11's with 100 buy-ins behind me,and even then with great caution.... i'm still getting over the last time.  lol if you can come up with a better title and i like it...i'll use it. ( or have i miss read it and you mean i should start at the £11's to make the grind more exciting?) (* *)    ^ dev
    Posted by devonfish5

Hi Dev,

Basically you can beat £3 level so it’s just a matter of time before you make £5000 – so it will take you 3 years )

Not really a challenge because if you can beat the level then it’s just a dairy of your progress.

So if you start at even the £5 level , then that’s a challenge for you because you have not beaten the level yet. Would be more intresting for you and for the reader imo.

Plus if your going to grind these and achieve money then you have to aim to play £11’s asap to aheive c4p –

Good luck I’ll follow w/e )

"Dev's dangerous DYM delima"

or

"Dev grinds DYM's 4ever"

Saying all that, wouldn't worry about what the readers think too much.Do what's right for you, not to please the readers of GPC - lovely as they are.

• edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: £500 to £5000...now that's a DYM 'grind' : Hi Dev, Basically you can beat £3 level so it’s just a matter of time before you make £5000 – so it will take you 3 years ) Not really a challenge because if you can beat the level then it’s just a dairy of your progress. So if you start at even the £5 level , then that’s a challenge for you because you have not beaten the level yet. Would be more intresting for you and for the reader imo. Plus if your going to grind these and achieve money then you have to aim to play £11’s asap to aheive c4p –   Good luck I’ll follow w/e )   "Dev's dangerous DYM delima" or "Dev grinds DYM's 4ever" Saying all that, wouldn't worry about what the readers think too much.Do what's right for you, not to please the readers of GPC - lovely as they are.    
    Posted by rancid
    hi Rancid,
    thanks for the post.
    yes,u r correct i can beat the £3 level,which is why i have been playing 3x£5 & 6x£3 for the last few weeks or so.
    i did win 3x£5 games the other night which i think now puts me about £20/£25 down in total for that period.
    which although not great,obviously,is by no means a disaster.
    so,that said,my 'challenge' / grind, lol,would see me starting off this way,and then depending on results i would either add another £5 table if i win a session or take 1 away if i lose.
    as with my last challenge the beginning is the critical stage,imo as this will 'set the tone' for things to come.
    if i can get off to a good start then the rest will simply 'fall into place,'but i have to also consider that it could just as likely go the other way,in which case i would be on the back foot and be defending rather than attacking,as i would like to be doing.
    i am not going to 'throw all my eggs in one basket' if you like as i would be doing if i was to start off by playing 'just £5's'
    if my last challenge taught me anything,it was be patient and let it 'come to you' rather than 'punching above your weight' to soon.
    as you say,i have to do what is right for me & not worry about what any readers might think,which is what i am/will be doing.
    it's MY MONEY i'm gambling with and i will gamble with it on my terms,no one elses'
    i agree that i will need to get to the £11's asap to really get things moving...
    but i've got to earn my right to play there first.
    again,there is no time limit,but it would be nice to complete it asap,certainly inside of 3 years and deffo b4 i'm 93.  lol
    liking the sound of 'Dev grinds DYM's 4ever'...
    could be very true.
    so i'm more than happy to go with that.at least the word 'challenge' isn't being used,which will please some.  lol
    anyway mate,
    think that's all for now.
    best wishes.
    :)
    dev

• edited October 2012
    aye - remember £5 is only 1% of your roll

Give your self a stop/loss of say 5% (£25) - if you fall down then go to £3 again till you pick up to £500 - rinse & repeat every level - think you want to try and acheive to grind £11 at some stage - not just for this challenge but just for you m8ty -

been said above c4p + 1% ROI would be good ya

• edited October 2012
    hi again jc,
                    as i mentioned earlier,i was really hoping
    that you would honour me with a post and your thoughts,as i think it is quite well known by now that it was your good self that got me interested and then playing DYM's through your blog initially and then your very own DYM 'challenge' which i have since come to respect even more-so,since my own 'dismal' effort failed so early on.
    although i did at least manage to 'turn things around' in my own way i guess,and end up with a 'happy ending'
    i think.
    i've no 'real' concerns regarding this challenge,as i am quietly confident that it can be done,it's just the 'time factor' that i'm unsure about,i guess.
    yes,i will be a little 'fearfull' of the £11's i guess after last time,but as i've already mentioned i have to earn the right to play there first,so i'll only worry about them,should i get there...again.  lol
    the £5's are definitely becoming not easier but more comfortable for me,and as my confidence hopefully grows so will the number of tables too.

i'm sure the 'bigger' down-swings that will inevitably come could be a 'minor' problem.i'm sure there will be some,so i'll have to get used to them as and when they happen,and then adjust my next sessions 'game selection' accordingly,i guess.

as you mention,Rakeback is going to play a big part in this,as it also did with my last challenge.
    but i must not fall into the trap of putting a large proportion of my roll at risk just to receive extra c4p.
    as with my last 'challenge' only 1 thing matters...the end result.

thanks again JC...
    you have just given me the 'spring-board' i needed and the xtra confidence to succeed.
    if i've got 'your approval' that's more than good enough for me!!!

best wishes mate...
    no doubt going to be running into you somewhere at the tables during this 'grindathon'

(* *)
       £
    dev
  • edited October 2012
    aye - remember £5 is only 1% of your roll Give your self a stop/loss of say 5% (£25) - if you fall down then go to £3 again till you pick up to £500 - rinse & repeat every level - think you want to try and acheive to grind £11 at some stage - not just for this challenge but just for you m8ty - been said above c4p + 1% ROI would be good ya
    Posted by rancid
    hi mate,
    good advice as always.
    if i was to start @ £11 and lose even just 3 games that's 6% so you see the dilema i'm in.
    i just can't/won't risk it.
    will deffo be looking to get there again though....
    think they owe me about £70 by my reckoning.  lol
    dev
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: £500 to £5000...now that's a DYM 'grind' : hi mate, good advice as always. if i was to start @ £11 and lose even just 3 games that's 6% so you see the dilema i'm in. i just can't/won't risk it. will deffo be looking to get there again though.... think they owe me about £70 by my reckoning.  lol :) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    scrap the £11's idea - it's asking a lot with £500 )

I am +1 for starting at £5's - stop/loss 5%

• edited October 2012
    been thinking about this for the last few days now and i have sadly decided i will NOT be going ahead with this challenge...

reasons...

do i want to take on this challenge?...yes
    do i need to take on this challenge?... no

as opposed to my last challenge..yes & yes there.

another important factor in my decision is this...
    i have £750 in my b/roll atm
    with another £50 c4p due atm for this month...
    which would mean withdrawing £300 from my account,leaving the starting £500....
    does this really make any sense?basically losing £300 that i've worked for? no,not to me anyway.

so,there it is,my decision has been made.
    i will be carrying in 'grinding as usual',and i am looking forward to the 'never ending challenge' of taking my b/roll forward.
    i am hopeful that i will be able to reach the £5,000 target that i have set in my mind.
    i'm sure it will be achievable and i am more determined than ever to get there.
    i simply won't be posting it up,as i did with my last challenge.

a BIG THANK YOU to everyone that has posted and given their support and contributions,esp of course johnconnor.

best wishes everyone
    dev
  • edited October 2012
    When I read the OFF bit I assumed......and it's started, Dev's off on his journey!  Ah well  ;-))
  • edited October 2012
    wise choice imo

good luck

• edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: £500 to £5000...the 'challenge' is OFF:
    .... does this really make any sense?basically losing £300 that i've worked for? no,not to me anyway. Posted by devonfish5
    Eh, you're losing the £300, I don't understand?

If you don't fancy taking on this whopping challenge then fair enough, I respect your decision, but surely the £300 isn't being lost, it'll just land in your bank account like any other withdrawal?
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: £500 to £5000..the 'challenge' is OFF:
    When I read the OFF bit I assumed......and it's started, Dev's off on his journey!  Ah well  ;-))
    Posted by Glenelg
    soory m8,
    it didn't come acroos very clearly did it.
    yes,i meant the challenge that hadn't even started was off.  lol

dev
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: £500 to £5000..the 'challenge' is OFF:
    wise choice imo good luck
    Posted by rancid
    thanks Rancid,
    yes,i think u r right.
    it was a close call but losing the £300 from my b/roll swayed it in the end.
    dev
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: £500 to £5000...the 'challenge' is OFF : Eh, you're losing the £300, I don't understand? If you don't fancy taking on this whopping challenge then fair enough, I respect your decision, but surely the £300 isn't being lost, it'll just land in your bank account like any other withdrawal?
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    hi Gary,
    i'll explain mate.
    yes the £300 would go into my bank account but what i meant was that the £300 would be lost from my poker account,which i can use to better effect by keeping it there. by that i mean i will reach the £1000 target more quickly and then think about the possibility of having another try at the £11's again.
    anyway,that's my thinking behind it.
    also.i am going to be attempting to reach the £5000 as i've already mentioned,i simply won't be posting about it as i did with my previous challenge.
    hope that clears things up.
    best wishes,
    ian
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: £500 to £5000...the 'challenge' is OFF : hi Gary, i'll explain mate. yes the £300 would go into my bank account but what i meant was that the £300 would be lost from my poker account,which i can use to better effect by keeping it there. by that i mean i will reach the £1000 target more quickly and then think about the possibility of having another try at the £11's again. anyway,that's my thinking behind it. also.i am going to be attempting to reach the £5000 as i've already mentioned,i simply won't be posting about it as i did with my previous challenge. hope that clears things up. best wishes, :) ian
    Posted by devonfish5
    OK, I see, good luck.
  • edited October 2012

Dev, cant beleive you have decided to bin this. From what we have all seen you thrive on challenges and whilst some people have expressed the opinion that it would be more of a diary than a challenge i dont think that is how you see it.
      Hope you reconsider m8 as it would certainly make interesting reading following your progress.
      In fact, having been inspired by your previous challenge i am thinking of embarking on 1 of my own.

Go on DEV......... you know you want to.
  • edited October 2012
    personally i think dev was very gutsy in abandoning it after getting a lot of support to do it, even from JC.

i'm sure we'll have a new challenge/diary from dev in the not too distant future

but it doesn't have to be this one, right now,

as much as his last one was awesome, and the next one for sure will be too

imho

but it's up to dev of course

• edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: £500 to £5000..the 'challenge' is abandoned:
     Dev, cant beleive you have decided to bin this. From what we have all seen you thrive on challenges and whilst some people have expressed the opinion that it would be more of a diary than a challenge i dont think that is how you see it.   Hope you reconsider m8 as it would certainly make interesting reading following your progress.   In fact, having been inspired by your previous challenge i am thinking of embarking on 1 of my own.   Go on DEV......... you know you want to.
    Posted by pomfrittes
    hi m8,
    only just got around to reading your post ,sorry.
    yes,my main reason for not going ahead with it was i didn't want to lose what would now be £400 from my poker account,by that i mean having to withdraw it from my poker b/roll,when it is more use to me in there now that i am playing almost mainly all £5 dym and 9 tables.
    yes,we all know i'd do it,so is there really much point in going ahead with it.

anyway,i've made my decision now so i'll just continue 'grinding' at the £5's and then maybe,when i'm ready have another proper go at the £11's when my b/r gets to around the £2000 mark.
    good luck if you decide to go on a 'challenge' yourself,i'm sure you would enjoy it,especially the very last day...lol
    be lucky
    dev
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: £500 to £5000..the 'challenge' is abandoned:
    personally i think dev was very gutsy in abandoning it after getting a lot of support to do it, even from JC. i'm sure we'll have a new challenge/diary from dev in the not too distant future but it doesn't have to be this one, right now, as much as his last one was awesome, and the next one for sure will be too imho but it's up to dev of course
    Posted by GELDY
    hi m8,
    again oppologies for not replying sooner.
    yes m8,it was an easy decision in the end,but i'm sure it was the right one.
    my aim is still to get my b/roll up to £5000,only just over £100 to go and i am 1/5 of the way there.  lol
    gl buddy.
    dev