You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tues Night Live Show with Fowler and Rutter ****official show thread***** 7pm CH861

2»

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Caption Competition

You've got to hand it to Dr.Stephen Hawking!
    Every year he makes an effort with his fancy dress for the xmas party!
    If he'd used a piece of slate and an Abacus,
    instead of that IPad
    I'd have sworn he was Tony Kendall!
  • edited October 2012
    oh my weakness

hitting that call button instantly! my defence is, you dont get so much time online, whereas live i can take ages to sigh-call

memfno
  • edited October 2012
    Ya might wanna show this hand master cash table 4 578176599
  • edited October 2012
    Caption Comp

Tikay recoils in horror as three chapters in he suddenly discovers that his ebook Fifty Shades of Grey isn't about the colour of train tracks of the world.
  • edited October 2012
    caption comp

Tikay fails to be stimulated by the latest version of "fifty shades of grey" and resorts back to reading the history of the automotive 1822
  • edited October 2012
    Caption

Ah this new hole card veiwer AP is great , I have Aces , opponent has AJ suited, I fold !
  • edited October 2012
    Great show Anna and Stu!

My Caption comp entry is

"Could someone please tell the dozy old Geezer this is a cash table!
    We cant accept his last ten years collection of bus tokens!"
  • edited October 2012
    great show.

night night

onwards and upwards :-)
  • edited October 2012

Thanks for all the messages tonight!!

Congratulations to BORINLONER who wins free entry in to tomorrow night's UKOPS 4 Semi at 8:45pm..... Good luck!!

• edited October 2012

REALLY???

I thought that was one of my poorer efforts, to be honest. There's no accounting for taste.

• edited October 2012

For a bonus point (no prize, just bragging rights....) does anyone know the name of the young man sat next to me in that photograph?

He is a decent poker player, but is quite famous for something unconnected with poker, & there are "You Tube" videos of him galore......
  • edited October 2012

Is it liam somebody.....BMXing bike thinghy bob?

On Sky, but forgot his name.
  • edited October 2012
    Liam Phillips??
  • edited October 2012

Got a feeling his surname begins with a B?
  • edited October 2012

It's the motorcross fella isn't it?

• edited October 2012

All very close, & on the right lines, but nobody has given the exact full name yet.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Tues Night Live Show with Fowler and Rutter ****official show thread***** 7pm CH861:
    It's the motorcross fella isn't it?
    Posted by Slykllist
    Not quite, no.....
  • edited October 2012
    It's Liam Batey

Did very well in the 2011 Six Max
  • edited October 2012

Liam Batey, correct.

He used to be quite a force in the world of BMX.
  • edited October 2012

....which is exactly what I said!, sort of.
  • edited October 2012

Precisely. Ishish.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Tues Night Live Show with Fowler and Rutter ****official show thread***** 7pm CH861:
    hi guys mega show as usual MY POKER WAKNESS my biggest weakness is playing to tight, onli play the ak,aq,kq,kj and pocket pairs to see if i hit on the flop, is this a good thing in the long term as i seem to win abit and then loose abit never seem to make any cash, as when i paid all my blinds then get dealt a good hand if i win then im back to evens and then quite alot of times for example i play ak and someone calls with a rag ace i hit an ace on the flop then they hit 2 pairs with there rag and win the pot, should i change my play and start to see the flop more and carry on the way i am or is this too predictable??? i would be very grateful for your advice many thanks wardy
    Posted by wardyr617
    Hi Wardy,

Thanks very much for the question, sorry we didn't get time for it on the show.

It sounds like you've nearly hit the nail on the head, and that you are doing alot right.

I would say that your instinct is right; it sounds like you need to open up your game a bit. I would suggest two main ways, with two different types of hands.

The first we are going to call "taking a shot" hands, and they are the small pocket pairs and suited connectors. Your aim with these hands is to get in as cheaply as possibly, and and even better into a multi way pot. Play them just to try and hit gin. If you hit anything but gin (i.e. a set, flush, straight, or really good draw), you're going to get out for cheap. And if you do hit, you've got a chance to win a really big pot. It's a good way of having very small, albeit more frequent, losses, and a few really big wins.

The second type of hands are the ones that come just under your favoured premium hands on the spectrum- i.e AJ, QJ, KT and QT (particualrly when sutied), and maybe the next few down. These hands are not strong enough to play just for the value of hitting a flop, and so we need to be a bit more aggressive with them. I would recommend trying to re-raise (3-bet) these hands in position whenever you get a good spot. This begs the question as to what a good spot is; well, the very best spot is when you have the button, and a loose player has raised in front of you. Your aim is not necessarily to win the pot straight away with your 3-bet, but to plan to make a continuation bet on the flop if your opponent calls pre-flop, whether or not you hit the flop. It's amazing how many pots you can win this way without any right to do so.

So, there will be some games where a tighter, more simple style is right, especially when the game is very loose or weak, and there are many "cally" players in each pot. Unfortunately, those spots are rare in poker now, and I think you can really add to your profits in better games with some nice "take a shot hands" and nice aggressive plays with lesser hands.