You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

UKOPS 5- with Rich and Jen ***official live show thread***

edited November 2012 in Poker Chat

Morning Richard.

I can organise it that I come on the Show as well as Jen, or even instead of Jen.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how much pleasure would that give you?

Always happy to oblige.

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Greetings all,

Yes, UKOPS is in full flow and this Thursday night I'll be at the helm with poker expertise provided by Jen Mason for another live show from 7pm (and simulcast on Sky Sports 4 from 10pm) as we bring you full coverage of

UKOPS 5: The High Roller

Yes, fasten your seatbelts folks, because even if you're not fortunate to be playing (satellites are still available though) you can't go wrong watching the elite players of Sky Poker thrash it out for a £25,000 prize pool!

We'll also bring you the final table from tonight's UKOPS 4 £15K GTD Rebuy in the first hour before getting into the big one at 8pm.

Plus we'll have two UKOPs 6 mini seats to give away as, by popular demand, we once again play...

The Sky Poker Treasure Hunt

Look out for a different question just after the top of each hour. The answer will be somewhere on the website and you'll just a few minutes to email your answers in to win the seat. (skyopen@bskyb.com)

And of course we'll be showing any hands you send in to us from the game, whether you're playing in it or not.

And of course, as ever I'll be reading out your messages all night, so- to get the ball rolling fill in the rest of this sentence...

"The one single thing which has most improved my game is..."

Get your thoughts in on that and I look forward to doing the show with you all tomorrow night at 7!
  • edited October 2012
    Learning that shoving or folding a medium pocket pair to a raise pre with 15-20 blinds is better than just calling. I used to call all the time then fold to a c-bet on an Axx/Kxx board.
    Also learning that getting maximum value from a winning hand helps progress in tourneys and not necessarily being scared of a dangerous river card.
    Folding hands like QJ,J10 and sometimes KQ when out of position.
    Looking forward to the show :)

• edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: UKOPS 5- with Rich and Jen ***official live show thread***:
    Morning Richard. I can organise it that I come on the Show as well as Jen, or even instead of Jen. On a scale of 1 to 10, how much pleasure would that give you? Always happy to oblige.
    Posted by Tikay10

With a minus sign in front of it.

;-)
  • edited October 2012
    Learning that shoving or folding a medium pocket pair to a raise pre with 15-20 blinds is better than just calling. I used to call all the time then fold to a c-bet on an Axx/Kxx board. Also learning that getting maximum value from a winning hand helps progress in tourneys and not necessarily being scared of a dangerous river card. Folding hands like QJ,J10 and sometimes KQ when out of position. Looking forward to the show :)
    Posted by MeloPete
    Cheers Pete, great answer. Will defo be reading that out!
  • edited October 2012
    Morning Richard. I can organise it that I come on the Show as well as Jen, or even instead of Jen. On a scale of 1 to 10, how much pleasure would that give you? Always happy to oblige.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Can't comment for Richard, but as much as I like you Tikay, this would make me very sad!
  • edited October 2012
    The one single thing which has most improved my game is...

For me, without a doubt learning about equity and the importance of relative stack sizes in the mid / late stages of a tournament.  It is amazing how much just this one element of the game improved my play and my results.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: UKOPS 5- with Rich and Jen ***official live show thread*** : Can't comment for Richard, but as much as I like you Tikay, this would make me very sad!
    Posted by Slykllist
    Ha! I'm only joshing. Jen is THE absolute greatest, ever ever ever.

It's actually a bit sad - for me, I mean - that I never get to do a Show with Jen, we rub along splendidly, understand each other very well, & instinctively know what buttons to press, so to speak.

Instead, I get to work with Orford. Now, I don't do bad beat stories, but....... 

• edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: UKOPS 5- with Rich and Jen ***official live show thread*** : Ha! I'm only joshing. Jen is THE absolute greatest, ever ever ever. It's actually a bit sad - for me, I mean - that I never get to do a Show with Jen, we rub along splendidly, understand each other very well, & instinctively know what buttons to press, so to speak. Instead, I get to work with Orford. Now, I don't do bad beat stories, but.......   
    Posted by Tikay10
    The lady doth protest too much...
  • edited October 2012
    The one single thing which has most improved my game is...

Easy answer  for me  position i have played for like 10 years now and only in the last 2 years i didnt realise how useful position is such a big weapon u can call with bad cards but in position can win if they check and u bet with air and win 

have a great show :)

• edited October 2012
    The one single thing that has improved my game!

Watching Sky POKER
  • edited October 2012
    The one single thing that has improved my game! Watching Sky POKER
    Posted by cleansweep
    Lol! Nice- guaranteed to get read out!
  • edited October 2012

Without a doubt, in my mind is, joining one of the teams on the community. The banter, rivalry, railing, team discussions and help and backing of team-mates, drive you on as a player. As a recreational player who enjoys the game there is nothing better than having a few team-mates, many whom one has never met, railing on a FT. It makes the game that little bit more important and the bragging rites after make it all worthwhile.

• edited October 2012

The one thing that has most improved my game is...

...not having anything else to do at four o'clock in the morning.

• edited October 2012
    ...realising that poker is all about "playing the table" and NOT about the RNG or luck!  OH and I can't believe it's ONLY taken Idonk 8 years to discover "position" !  Only joking donk ! 
  • edited October 2012

The one thing that has most improved my game is

joining a team on the site. The support and rail by your team mates    

is by far the best and i would recommend it to others. TEAM 51 

• edited November 2012
    The one thing that has most improved my game is.
    TAKING TK'S ADVICE LAST WEEK, AND SHARING MY WINNING
    WITH THE WIFE.....SHE KEEPS NAGGING WHERE'S MY £1-50
    LOL..TK'S ADVICE IS ALWAYS WORTH TAKING IN..
  • edited November 2012
    Hi Richard looking forward to the show tonight.  Was wondering if the final table from last nights ukops £55rebuy main event is being shown at 7?
  • edited November 2012
    Hi Richard looking forward to the show tonight.  Was wondering if the final table from last nights ukops £55rebuy main event is being shown at 7?
    Posted by bearlyther
    Hi mate,

Yes, as far as I'm aware we'll be showing the final table of UKOPS 4 from 7pm till 8pm tonight.

Many congrats btw- your moment of glory will be broadcast to the nation tonight!
  • edited November 2012
    3 hours till the show and still chances to satellite in to the High Roller tonight for a shot at the £25,000 prize pool!

Make sure you're watching anyway as they'll be plenty of amazing poker on display from a £530 buy-in tourney.

Plus you have a chance to win a seat into tomorrow's UKOPS mini event by emailing in the correct answer with our two Treasure Hunt questions.

Look out for those just after 8 and just after 9!

Meanwhile, please keep your responses coming in for my open-ended statement. Great answers so far. Here it is again...

• edited November 2012
    watching sarah champion has improved my game :) saves me playing more tables so i can focus on her and just play 1 table loooool
  • edited November 2012
    playing more tables and losing that is so thanks sarah ;) 
  • edited November 2012
    The thing that has most improved my game is practice, practice, practice.

Can't quite say it's a Gary Player "the more I practice, the luckier I get" but it's along those lines.
  • edited November 2012
    learning that your cards only matter if you get to show down. Correctly played position and agression are just as important as actually having a hand. IMO if you haven't gone busto from a tourney on a triple barrel bluff, you're not playing properly!!!!!(yes, i have triple barrelled into quads!!)

• edited November 2012
    Good answers- thanks chaps.

Keep them coming please!
  • edited November 2012

Joining a team specifically TPT. Everyone from the smallest stake players to the biggest has something in their game that you can learn from. My all round game has improved hugely since joining. Not one single player in our team has ever said their poker got worse (so far).
  • edited November 2012

I Learnt to bet for a reason

i.e either for value or as a bluff

Also, and more generally, I have learnt to always think about every decision before making it. Why am i calling/checking/raising/betting?  Why am i betting 1/2 pot or 3/4 pot. etc... ?

In summary, I learnt to not just press random buttons. Although if u see some of my disastrous plays in mtts, u may disagree! :)

• edited November 2012

Thinking "now what would Richard Orford do in this position?"

... and doing the opposite.

• edited November 2012
    "The one single thing which has most improved my game is..." Thinking "now what would Richard Orford do in this position?" ... and doing the opposite.
    Posted by annie_duke
    Ha! Very nice.

15 minutes to air!
  • edited November 2012
    good luck tto all playing in main event and mini tonight i sattlelighted in last week so gl me as well been cashing in ukops vents usualy going out just as i hit cash so bit of luck will go that bit further tonight once again gl all!!!
  • edited November 2012
    Shout out to Alan (MAXALLY) who just got in the main event via 200 runner all in sat for £2.90.

Any cash would be a fantastic ROI

Good Luck !