You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

UKOPS 5- with Rich and Jen ***official live show thread***

Comments

• edited November 2012
    Hey guys cant believe i managed to sat into the high roller, this is the biggest tournament ive played. Im glad you agreed with my fold of the pocket kings.

Wish me luck

Jamie
  • edited November 2012
    Hi Rich & Jen

Thanks for drawing me out for the Treasure Hunt prize :-)

Have a great show !
  • edited November 2012

The one single thing which has improved my game the most..

..was the creation of my diary on the forum. Find it a massive help in keeping me focused as there is nothing worse than posting awful plays and also gives me the chance to get other players to comment on any tough decisions I find myself in. Perhaps most importantly it always reminds me why I play poker and that's because I enjoy it and want to have FUN.

• edited November 2012
    After being card dead for an hour then picking up AK doesnt make it any better a pre flop hand than it was yesterday or will be tomorrow ! ............ bitter experience.

First time player on the site tonight, first game and qualified for the UKOPS 5 Side Event- £10,000 Bounty Hunter, beginners luck i recon.
  • edited November 2012
    "The one single thing which has most improved my game is..."

Not believing everyone has hit the flop just because they bet it, so sticking to my guns if im in a hand and acting on the way the player has played not just the cards that have come out and getting scared.
  • edited November 2012
    Hi Guys......rags to riches...I'm in the high roller (biggest buy-in I have ever played) and got in by grinding through a 2.90 into the Late Reg semi.

Still in a bit of a daze but I was brought back to earth with my first hand, 99 ran into KK!!!  Thankfully only lost 600 chips!

Great show as usual..good luck to everyone in the tourney.

Stewart1
  • edited November 2012
    Got into the Side event for £3 through an all in Sat half hour ago! Tbh would rather have had the £55 but I'm in it now so hoping for a bit of a run good! I'm profitable at lower levels so just need to go up a gear tonight!
  • edited November 2012
    Rich and Jen,

Loving the show as normal. Managed to sat into the 10K BH Side event for only £3 so going to take your advice and go for it as this is well above my usual tourney buy-in so what's to lose.

Keep iup the good work
  • edited November 2012
    Sat Navigators - Shrewdies
    perhaps
    Could be used for the players who get into tournaments for the minimum stake
  • edited November 2012
    WOuld you have a look at this Rich/Jen? 581559664 from the side event, just played. Awful river for me really, have I made a great lay down or had a shocker? More I think about it the more I think I've had a shocker but hes bet so small then as soon as the other king comes it looks like a value bet.
  • edited November 2012
    #581566166 I hate folding!
  • edited November 2012
    that sort of hand from railtard is why he is one of the top ten players of mtts in europe

great to watch and anybody with a sky account should be watching him tonight
  • edited November 2012
    thnks for all the iformation your giving me on the main event richard such as been surrounded by poker pros oh the joy !!! better get my game on and show em how its done lol!!
  • edited November 2012
    581583162  ukops mini just busted does it play itself with these stacks running bad in flips all day :( is any worse then my hand doing this or is it always a flip 
  • edited November 2012
    can u show this hand please from the mini roller  is it ok to call preflop and is it ok to donk lead on this flop once i get called on the flop is it best to check raise or carry on donk leading ? 

581582282       mini roller 

great show rich n jen  can u use mask the hands thing aswell please 
  • edited November 2012
    I actually thought railtard made a mistake in that A4 v A8 hand and was fortunate to find a fold from his opponent. I think when his opponent floats the flop, that player should be aware that he's committed to go with it if he bets the turn. The small turn bet was a mistake, but so was being willing to fold after making that bet, particularly against a player with railtard's reputation.

Perhaps railtard has been at the table with that player for a long time and knew that they weren't the most experienced and could lay it down after that small bet. If not, then I think it was definitely a mistake to check-raise the turn. More often than not the button will sigh-call with a hand beating A4. Obviously it's difficult to make a call there holding just A8 but it was an incoherent decision-making process to bet an amount that looks weak on the turn if you're actually going to play the hand weakly. Railtard basically was reliant on the pressure that the check-raise all-in put on his opponent. That's a good long-term strategy and is why he has such a good record. I'm just not convinced that this was a good example.

I wouldn't usually criticise a play shown on the telly but I'm pretty sure that a player like railtard can take it on the chin and if everyone's going to say how brilliant it was, an opposing view can't hurt.

No offence intended to Railtard of course. I suspect he has won a little bit more than me over the years. ;)

You needen't read this out Richard. It may not be cricket to be critical of someone's play on the tellybox. It's just for the purposes of encouraging debate.
  • edited November 2012
    Rich and Jen,
    Firstly apologies for the strange name.  Just took a bounty for £24 on the 10 K Side BH. so a not bad for £3 satellite win.  Currently 34 out of 130 so you never know - got a taste for the bounties now lol

Craig
  • edited November 2012
    with that hand hand subsnw vs sam wouldnt subs be better of shoving in pre to look weak as jen said the click back loooks sooooooooooooo strong
  • edited November 2012
    Great fold by Sam, almost as sick as my house fold in the side except I was a mile ahead!
  • edited November 2012
    Can you tell me if i was right to go all in on this flop?

Hand ID:
    581599926cheersJamie
  • edited November 2012
    My game started improving when I started thinking about what other people were doing and why and not expecting them to play a hand the same way I would.  Keeping notes on players I play all the time helps too.  Run well all
  • edited November 2012
    Under the Gun I've always thought of as being like under the starter's pistol in athletics. You're the first to act and it's as though this is the start of the race.
  • edited November 2012
    still going in main after sattleting in  for 2pound 80 lets do this!!!
  • edited November 2012
    Borinloner - Agree debate is good. Regarding the Railtard hand, it wasn't against an inexperienced player. Sam MacDonald is a fellow pro and I believe they have played a fair amount together so that has to be factored into the analysis of the play.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: UKOPS 5- with Rich and Jen ***official live show thread***:
    Borinloner - Agree debate is good. Regarding the Railtard hand, it wasn't against an inexperienced player. Sam MacDonald is a fellow pro and I believe they have played a fair amount together so that has to be factored into the analysis of the play.
    Posted by MattBates
    I'm not particularly familiar with many of the players in the tournament, so I have no idea about their experience.

What I was trying to say was that if he's aware that his opponent is able to lay it down, possibly due to being inexperienced, then that could justify the play. Obviously knowing that your opponent is very experienced can also have the same effect. It's just a question of meta-game between them. If it was a randomer, then I would certainly not like the play.

The amount of levelling going on is hard to know, but certainly a bet of that size is designed to look like a value-bet, as a bigger bet would look more believable as a bluff to a strong player... but that's something that both players know. It becomes impossible to analyse without seeing dozens of hands between them.

I just think the check-raise there goes wrong more often than it goes well. If the button has second pair there, you've got to think he's calling against railtard, considering the size of the pot. I might be wrong about that, of course. Meta-game: Fun times.

I doubt the button bets the turn with second pair though, so the bet is likely to be pretty polarising... Hmmm... I'll be thinking about this hand for a while.
  • edited November 2012
    581627506  Interesting hand from UKOPS 5 main tonite - Was railing and would be interested in Jen's  view on the betting.  
  • edited November 2012
    RIch and Jen,

Quick update on another SAT NAVer or lucky qualifier - taken 2 heads for £36 all for £3 sat win so all good. 6 to go until bubble so could be a good win tonight - awesome fun. great analysis from jen (looking hot as usual)

Craig
  • edited November 2012
    rich not a moan but is it gd to say that people have qualified into the main tonight from small money surely the regs and the people who have big bankrolls will pick on these people ? 
  • edited November 2012
    Intrested too see what you would of done here?
    i was SOOOOOO tempted to raise the turn but decided to go for an0ther streak of value and ended up hanging myself!

alias - Cahill92
    hand number - 581635478

ukops 5 mini 
  • edited November 2012
    The one single thing which has most improved my game

Learning to handle variance

Since I binked my UKOPS place I've made nine attempts to make other main events

I've had full houses swamped by bigger full houses, flushes beaten by straight flushes and quads beaten by bigger quads! But I know I made the right decisions at the time!

Then very early this morning I played a timed tournament and recouped my losses and more!

Dishing out cooler after cooler to my opponents but still making the right decisions.

In the past bad beats would have tilted me! but now I realise I probably have many nore good beats than bad. 

Selective memory makes us remember bad beats because they're always at the finish of our tournament, but we forget the beats we dealt out. To arrive at our demise!

Having said that, I apologise in advance to the 24 heads I'll be taking on my way to the UKOPS 7 Bracelet on Saturday lol

After you've taken your action for awarding the entry.
    I might be able to afford one of those Cappacino's

Great show as always!