You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Feedback please - Mini Mains

2»

Comments

• edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Feedback please - Mini Mains:
    Good morning. The thread , & feedback, is a bit lop-sided! My input is not exactly unbiased, for obvious reasons, but.... We all have the option of saying nothing, of course, but it's the nature of things that we comment if we do NOT like, & don't comment if we do, because the latter is the default, the "normal".   So, just for the sake of debate, & because, the older I get, the more these things intrigue & fascinate me, here are two facts about this thread as of now. Negative Posts (as in "no thanks, we do not like"), approx 20. Positive Posts ("we like the idea of bigger buy-in") 2. A few Posts don't count - those by Sky Poker, or Dave, for example. So, give or take a few % points, 90% AGAINST bigger buy-ins. Pretty conclusive, you'd suggest.   Now look at the voting. Currently, 27 voted for £3.30, & 33 voted for £5.50!   How do you explain that? And if you were the Business, how would you interpret that? Interesting, 'innit?!
    Posted by Tikay10
    It is a challenge when voters dont explain their reasoning, maxally mentioned it in an earlier post. I have my own views as to why that is but will keep to them myself for a change lol

• edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Feedback please - Mini Mains : Taking the first part, some people are worried about expressing a view which is contrary to that taken by a few of the long standing posters.  While their shyness is understandable I feel it's misplaced.  As I have stated from the outset I am against the change, however if someone expresses a contrary opinion and gets unfair treatment from another poster, reg or otherwise, I would defend that person's right to that opinion regardless if I agreed with it.  Some people get shy and worried about people's opinion of them in spots like this.  Not me though, double denim is still cool and Jammy Dodgers are the worst biscuits I have had the misfortune to purchase. Now the second part.  I don't think you can give equal weight to the votes as you can the post.  Yes I know this argument leads to support for my point of view so feel free everyone to pick it apart.  The point is a person who takes the time to post will clearly show if they have considered the question in a balanced way.  Not all posts should have equal weight either of course, it's up to 'those who should' to weigh up all of the feedback.  Now with the click button voting you don't always know if everyone has even read the question fully or has just seen, for instance, 'bigger buy ins, I like bigger buy ins, I'll click yes.'  Obviously a decent amount of weight should go to the button votes but the smaller the sample size and the closer the vote, in my opinion the more 'those who should' should consider stronger the views expressed in the thread.
    Posted by TommyD

Hi Tommy,

I never suggested you, or anyone else, was wrong or right Tommy, I just pointed out what, in my personal opinion, was an imbalance, an oddity, which no one else had commented upon, & I had wanted - I live in hope of so many things! - would give better balance to the thread. 

You briefly alluded - in not so many words - to peer pressure. As a Teacher, I'm sure you understand what a powerful force that it. We certainly cannot deny it exists.
  • edited November 2012
    I have been lucky enough in the last month or so that i can now afford the higher £5.50 buyin and i did enjoy the UKOPS series. That said in my opinion the mini should be for everybody and i think that £3.30 gives more people the chance to play. I think it should be kept at £3.30 and boosted for special events such as the recent UKOPS. EDIT: i also don't believe the guarentee effects many peoples descion to play as asfar as i am aware which ever guarentee has been set on the mini it regularly surpasses it. But in the intrest of those that it does effect if sky crunched the numbers do they think it would be possible to offer a £1500 guarentee on the mini at the £3.30 BI as it seems to be breaking this anyway more often than not.
    Posted by jams88
    Hi Jams,

I have no idea if they will try that or not, but have you not answered your own question, via the first sentence of the part I highlighted??
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Feedback please - Mini Mains : Hi Jams, I have no idea if they will try that or not, but have you not answered your own question, via the first sentence of the part I highlighted??
    Posted by Tikay10
    I was trying to get at and worded badly that most people who play the mini do so for the enjoyment of a cheap mtt  of a large field size and the chance to play against some of the big boys of poker who will be in it for the jackpot oppurtunity. This majority would continue to play the mini if there was no guarentee at all as i dont believe it bothers many of us who play.

Having said that i appriciate you get some traffic from people who proboably browse around sites to look for a tournamtnet with a prizepool that they want to play in. So for these people that it may effect i thought i would but my 2pence worth in :)
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Feedback please - Mini Mains : Hi Tommy, I never suggested you, or anyone else, was wrong or right Tommy, I just pointed out what, in my personal opinion, was an imbalance, an oddity, which no one else had commented upon, & I had wanted - I live in hope of so many things! - would give better balance to the thread.    You briefly alluded - in not so many words - to peer pressure. As a Teacher, I'm sure you understand what a powerful force that it. We certainly cannot deny it exists.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I know you didn't Mr K, I was just expressing my take on how I would take the feedback if I was the one who was up top.  It's a massively tricky balancing act with as I see it no cast iron right or wrong way to do it, all I say is opinion and in no way consider it the only possible correct one.

Yes peer pressure is huge for threads like this.  So many times on forums people either back down, revert opinions or decide to not post because of the opinions expressed by other members of their peer group.  It's not the fault of the regs posting, that's just the way things have been since cavemen were deciding on using rocks or sticks to bash dinosaurs (the last comment may not be historically accurate).
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Feedback please - Mini Mains : I was trying to get at and worded badly that most people who play the mini do so for the enjoyment of a cheap mtt  of a large field size and the chance to play against some of the big boys of poker who will be in it for the jackpot oppurtunity. This majority would continue to play the mini if there was no guarentee at all as i dont believe it bothers many of us who play. Having said that i appriciate you get some traffic from people who proboably browse around sites to look for a tournamtnet with a prizepool that they want to play in. So for these people that it may effect i thought i would but my 2pence worth in :)
    Posted by jams88
    My thoughts exactly and i think would be the same for all low stakes players

• edited November 2012

I find it extraordinary that after a measly 32 votes and even less comments Sky decided to change things albeit on a trial basis. I played 4 UKOPS mini events that had an average field of 481. The £5-50 buy in was above my usual limit but 4 games aren't going to affect my BR. The £3-30 "normal" mini I sometimes play has a field of about 300 (correct me if I'm wrong this is a guesstimate). So with roughly 10% of the players voting after just 4 hours you change things. In my opinion this change was totally premeditated. I will be interested to see what Sky do after the trial but my moneys on the £5-50 being across the board giving us lower buy in players even less game options. And like others have said it is for the challenge and the chance of a bigger cash than I usually make.

• edited November 2012
    In all fairness I suspect the very nature of this forum will skew the results.  The fact that people take the time to read and post on a poker forum suggests a certain level of seriousness in the way they approach playing poker.  For alot of these people, proper bankroll management is an important part of the game and one that lower bankrolled players are constantly reminded of.  It's a fact that by increasing the buyins to the minis that some of these regular and loyal players will be priced out if they wish to continue strict bankroll management so it's understandable that they are voicing their concerns.  There is certainly an element of Sky preaching one thing and encouraging people to practice another here.

However from a business point of view, an awful lot of players in the minis are not 'serious' poker players, many of them will be 'net depositors'.  They are recreational players who come on of an evening to play a game of poker and have no concern whatsoever over bankroll management, they may be quite happy to lose £5.50 every night of the week for the chance to escape from every day life etc.....  I suspect to alot of these player a lift from £3.30 to £5.50 is going to be negligable, another £2.20 is nothing in the grand scheme of things and if the guarantees go up and the payouts go up, that will be alot more appealing to these recreational player (who make up the majority of the field).  It's a balancing act!

I think the real issue underlying all this is that there seems to be a trend towards losing the smaller tournaments in favour of bigger buyins on Sky, which for the reasons above I can fully understand.  However, to make that sustainable over time there needs to be new big bankroll players coming through.  These will not generally come from the rectreational players, they will come from the pool of players that are taking the game seriously, the ones that are studying the game, posting on the forum and practicing good bankroll management, ie. the player who are posting on here and voicing their concerns.

I have no issue with the buyin for the minis going up to £5.50 as it's actually a level that suits me personally better.  However if this does happen Sky has to be aware of the effect it has on the lower bankrolled players and should really do something to ensure these players are also catered for because at the moment all they see is more and more of 'their' tournaments being taken away in favour of bigger buyins which to me seems very shortsighted by Sky.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Feedback please - Mini Mains : Apologies I didnt want to come across as being ignorant of the smaller BR players im certainly not, I remember the days when I was playing £2.20 mtts. But I still think for an extra £2.20 or what not a doubling of the prize money is worth it. If you can afford 3.30 then surely you can afford £5.50 right? 
    Posted by Wacko90

If you are managing your Bank Roll "properly" it means you need a 66% greater  roll to regularly play £5.50s rather than £3.30s.

Also, "If you can afford 3.30 then surely you can afford £5.50 right? " why not if you can afford 5.50 then you can afford £8, then £11, then .....
  • edited November 2012
    Why not have a Main a Mini £5 and a MINIMINI at £3 and let the players choose on the night - and perhaps the jackpot could be won for winning any two of the three - just a thought
    Posted by Jeffter
    Hi Jeff,

That would just split the liquidity.
  • edited November 2012
    Fairly certain that this will show an increase in the numbers.

Could be wrong tho :)

Would be interesting to see when we have a couple of weeks worth of data tho.  I'm sure that some of the forum spreadsheet gurus wiill give it a shot!
  • edited November 2012
    Flyingdagg your comparison is ridiculous, and your maths in it slightly flawed (more likely because your example wasnt intended to be mathematically correct more to make a point), but I appreciate the example and what your trying to say, same with you FCHD, perhaps I am being ignorant and foolish.

But I guess we all have an opinion and it appears most of the people who have voted for the change haven't commented. I can see why the lower BR players want it to stay as it is, I guess and extra £14 a week out of BR cant affect is greatly so my original comment is also foolisha nd flawed. But from the point of view of the site and someone who does have a BR to adapt to the change I would prefer the bigger mini. I know that 300 quid for winning now is really good etc but the ukops figures were so good (1st place ranging from 700-1000£), if this could be repeated it would be great. What about if they put a few £1.10 sats on for it would the chan ge then be suitable?
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Feedback please - Mini Mains:
    Hi everyone First of all thank you all for your support during UKOPS, what a great series! Just something to get your thoughts on quickly please... One of the great successes of the series was the Mini Mains, which generated some really good prize pools alone. For example the event last Sunday reached a fantastic prizepool of £3,900 for the £5.50 buy-in. Normally the Minis have guarantees ranging from £1,000 to £1,200 for the 'standard' £3.30 buy ins. So the question is really what would you prefer? To be totally honest, the extra 20p per player for us does not swing any decision, but we do like to be able to offer nice prize pools and the £5.50 tournaments generated a lot of interest - striking a good balance of affordability and prizepools. Of course we'll never get a 100% consensus on this but it would to see views.
    Posted by Sky_Poker

Number of points.

1. The concensus of the forum was not asked for when the £2bh were increased to £5, or removed completely.

2. If, as highlighted above, the extra 20p will not swing the decision, why not make it £5.30?

3. Does this thread now completely kill off the thread by Tommy D, where virtually every single point that is made here was already raised?

4. Is this the beginning of the end of the sub £5 tournament?

Keith
  • edited November 2012
    Fairly certain that this will show an increase in the numbers. Could be wrong tho :) Would be interesting to see when we have a couple of weeks worth of data tho.  I'm sure that some of the forum spreadsheet gurus wiill give it a shot!
    Posted by scotty77

Agree that the numbers will probably increase in the coming weeks, and if that is the criteria for change then obviously Sky should proceed.

• edited November 2012
    i think its good that your asking for feedback, like a post has earlier said i quite like the idea of a main (£55) a mini main (£5.50) and a micro main (£3.30) i very rarely enter a mini at £5.50 but thats not cus i dont feel there worth it is basically only becuase of my BR and not being confident enough to take one down, so if we were only going to keep 2 id prefer to see £3.30 kept so some of the cheap skate players like me can afford to enter :D
  • edited November 2012
    I think people who suggest a rise from £3.30 to £5.50 isn't that much are probably people who have a bankroll to easily accomodate the higher Buy In. People with a smaller  BR are more likely to play 2x £2.30 tournaments rather than a £5.50 one, even if it is for smaller rewards for winning.

Everyone is different, I would play a £3.30 tournament without worrying too much, but if a £3,30 Mini option was taken out of the equation for good I might think about just entering the £5.50 replacement less often.

If Sky are changing things for a week  it will be interesting to see what difference the changes have on uptake.
  • edited November 2012

Well the mini was short by 76 players tonight.

Despite what was posted on this thread, the decision was taken anyway and the 'votes' were used as the legitimate reason.

I am fairly sure that it would of met the guarantee if the buy in was kept at £3.30 IMHO.
  • edited November 2012
    Tuesdays usually pretty low for traffic, even more so on a champions league night.

I think if you were gonna increase any of the minis it would have to be the BH's rather then the freezeouts since BHs just always hit their guarantees.
  • edited November 2012
    Tuesdays usually pretty low for traffic, even more so on a champions league night. I think if you were gonna increase any of the minis it would have to be the BH's rather then the freezeouts since BHs just always hit their guarantees.
    Posted by NColley
    this makes sense.

why not have £5.50 buy ins on Mondays, Thursdays, and Saturday if that's a bh main event - can't remember. And have friday as a £2 or £3 rebuy? like the main..
  • edited November 2012
    If the Mini Tariffs increase!
    Is it not reasonable to expect a decrease in the number of recreational players taking part for fun?
    Does that not devalue the achievement in winning the Jackpot?
    I seem to remember when Dylan won there were over 500 in both the Main and Mini.
    If Main and Mini numbers fall, surely Sky will drop the Jackpot at some point if It's won more frequently?
    Or am I well of the mark? Do we still get 500+ in the mini?