You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

monitor

edited November 2012 in Poker Chat
I know this gets asked all the time, but I can't find any other thread so here I am...

I'm going to buy a monitor to hook up to my laptop to play more tables. I just want general help on the recommended size of monitor, the quality of monitor youd recommend AT LEAST getting (and whether that matters), price, and anything else you feel I should know. Also some guidance setting it up would be good cos I'm useless with computers. thanks

edit: is 1920x1080 res recommended? And it is supposed to be the same res as my laptop?

Comments

• edited November 2012
    This is the monitor i got a few months ago can fit 9 tables on mini view on it with a bit of overlap  http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005QVZ79C/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: monitor:
    This is the monitor i got a few months ago can fit 9 tables on mini view on it with a bit of overlap   http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005QVZ79C/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00
    Posted by bearlyther
    ok ty.

so with a 24 inch i can play 9 and 6 on my laptop
  • edited November 2012
    Yes can can use use both the monitor and laptop and drag and drop onto each screen.  I normally only play 6 tables but the few times ive played 9 ive draged the windows toolbar at the bottom onto my laptop screen and was able to play 9 on the monitor with no overlap.  So in total i could 13 as my laptop could fit 4 tables.
  • edited November 2012
    you want 1920x1200 really.
  • edited November 2012
    you want 1920x1200 really.
    Posted by offshoot
    +1
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-inch-LED-Monitor-1000/dp/B0050SIJIC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_computers_4

These work just fine for me.
  • edited November 2012
    Yes definitely 1920x1200, i have 1920x1080 LG and it's not enough for me.
  • edited November 2012

The problem doing it through a laptop is that doesnt matter how good it is, laptops overheat easily and then will slow down.

• edited November 2012
    make sure the graphics card supports the monitors resolution )

just hook it up to your TV, if you going to get a monitor for your laptop - really no point having a laptop )` well unless you have a massive lap :D
  • edited November 2012
    How easy it is to buy another monitor and hook it up to your computer (desktop)

Is it just one lead or do you need special software etc to install?

Thx
  • edited November 2012
    How easy it is to buy another monitor and hook it up to your computer (desktop) Is it just one lead or do you need special software etc to install? Thx
    Posted by MP33
    See here

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/organization/twomonitors.aspx
  • edited November 2012
    You want a desktop not a laptop.

You need a good graphics card, allowing for two outputs.
    You want to run the monitors at the highest resolution you can hence the gfx card requirement.

27 inch acer £168

24 inch acer £105

or just pay >£1k and get a dell 30 inch lol

edit you don't want to hook computers up to TV's it looks rubbish. monitors ftw.
  • edited November 2012
    I can't afford all this :-( can I not just buy a £150 24 inch monitor and hook it up to my laptop and play more tables? stupid resolution and other tingz. I dont care too much about quality, as long as i can see the buttons so I can spew appropriately
  • edited November 2012
    I can't afford all this :-( can I not just buy a £150 24 inch monitor and hook it up to my laptop and play more tables? stupid resolution and other tingz. I dont care too much about quality, as long as i can see the buttons so I can spew appropriately
    Posted by percival09
    yeah just go and buy it if your not bothered )

sure there are som £100 ish monitors that would suit - depends how many tables you want to play against what resolution you need - bigger reolution = more tables
  • edited November 2012
    Posted by percival09

adding 1 monitor to a laptop assuming the laptop can handle the resolution etc will provide more screen space.

but to achieve really large workspaces you need a desktop with 2 monitors. 

The two links i've posted are both pretty cheap prices for what they are imo.
  • edited November 2012
    check dis if you using downloand client, copy & pasted from an old thread by machta

How many tables can you run in the Download Client depending on your screen resolution:

Horizontal Resolution

Vertical Resolution

Standard View Large Chat

Standard View Small Chat

Mini View

• edited November 2012
    Yah I'll get on of those two. worth spending £63 more for a few inches? I wanna be able to play at least 9 tables tiling without overlap on the monitor. 

I suppose I still want a decent enough quality monitor, because when I leave uni I'll prob want a v.good set up 
  • edited November 2012
    On 1920x1080 you can only have 6 without overlap, and 9 on 1920x1200, you can obv have a slight overlap and get a couple more on each
  • edited November 2012

how much can you expect to spend (cheap as poss) on a desktop and 2 monitors that can comfortably handle 10+ tables then?

I have a laptop and would like to start increasing the number of tables I play but it starts freezing on 5 tables

• edited November 2012
    You want a desktop not a laptop. You need a good graphics card, allowing for two outputs. You want to run the monitors at the highest resolution you can hence the gfx card requirement. http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/acer-h274hlbmid-27-inch-full-hd-led-monitor-black-vga-dvi-hdmi-1920-x-1080-100000000-1370913 27 inch acer £168 http://www.ebuyer.com/341650-acer-p246haqbd-tft-lcd-24-full-hd-dvi-monitor-et-fp6he-a01 24 inch acer £105 or just pay >£1k and get a dell 30 inch lol edit you don't want to hook computers up to TV's it looks rubbish. monitors ftw.
    Posted by beaneh
    Thats what i was worried about - There not to cheap are they?
  • edited November 2012
    I have 2x 24" 1900 x 1200 Sansungs on win 8. But I've changed my text dpi which adjusts the mini tables sizing so that 6 per screen is a crisp fit instead of 9 with gaps. 

That said, i only really multitable of rush/zoom on FT/PS... much prefer to slow play sky. Fwiw I would suggest a desktop as well... 
  • edited November 2012
    how much would it cost for a desktop + 2 monitors or w/e? like a lot right? 
  • edited November 2012
    right lets do this properly. 

I'm quite indecisive at times, and before starting this thread I said to somebody I hope there's just 1 reply so I can just take their advice and not have different opinions. 

I am going to HAVE to play from my laptop. Desktop = not possible atm. My screen resolution is LOL. Apparently its 1366 x 768. I KNOW RIGHT? WTF IS THAT

so, if YOU were in my situation: a student looking for a decent quality, good priced monitor to hook up to an awesome 1366 x 768 res laptop to win more $$$$ at pokerz, which monitor would you go for and could you pls leave a link. TYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

basically I want someone to tell me what to do, and exactly how to do it. 

PRIZE: i will send $1 to the person who suggests the monitor that I end up buying. GL ALL
  • edited November 2012
    right lets do this properly.  I'm quite indecisive at times, and before starting this thread I said to somebody I hope there's just 1 reply so I can just take their advice and not have different opinions.  I am going to HAVE to play from my laptop. Desktop = not possible atm. My screen resolution is LOL. Apparently its 1366 x 768. I KNOW RIGHT? WTF IS THAT so, if YOU were in my situation: a student looking for a decent quality, good priced monitor to hook up to an awesome 1366 x 768 res laptop to win more $$$$ at pokerz, which monitor would you go for and could you pls leave a link. TYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY basically I want someone to tell me what to do, and exactly how to do it.  PRIZE: i will send $1 to the person who suggests the monitor that I end up buying. GL ALL
    Posted by percival09
    Ballerments... ;)
  • edited November 2012
    right lets do this properly.  I'm quite indecisive at times, and before starting this thread I said to somebody I hope there's just 1 reply so I can just take their advice and not have different opinions.  I am going to HAVE to play from my laptop. Desktop = not possible atm. My screen resolution is LOL. Apparently its 1366 x 768. I KNOW RIGHT? WTF IS THAT so, if YOU were in my situation: a student looking for a decent quality, good priced monitor to hook up to an awesome 1366 x 768 res laptop to win more $$$$ at pokerz, which monitor would you go for and could you pls leave a link. TYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY basically I want someone to tell me what to do, and exactly how to do it.  PRIZE: i will send $1 to the person who suggests the monitor that I end up buying. GL ALL
    Posted by percival09

what are your laptop specs?
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: monitor : what are your laptop specs?
    Posted by beaneh

Blatent beg for 1 dollar haha...

• edited November 2012
    Yeah we need your laptop specs.

It's worth buying the monitor so you can try this for yourself but you're still going to struggle. At least this way though you will see we've been proved right and you've got a spare monitor to use when you eventually buy a desktop pc.

• edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: monitor : Blatent beg for 1 dollar haha...
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN

no it's just pointless answering the question without that info you numpty
  • edited November 2012
    how much would it cost for a desktop + 2 monitors or w/e? like a lot right? 

Well I spent like £600 building my desktop in the summer of 09 (its still going strong SSD & 8mb ram FTW) then I upgraded to 2x24s for £400... a similar setup now would cost you like say £450-£650 imo depending on what type of monitors you go for. 

Im presuming you have like £100-150 to spend for a single monitor, imo the monitor is just going to give you a similar result as laptop screen in terms of poker functionality... so i personally would just wait till jan, flog the laptop and get a new one.  With Windows8 laptops coming out, the value of existing lappys is going to reduce and in jan/feb you might be able to pick up a decent one with SSD easily for say 300/400.  

This might not be the answer but to me it would be most practical... i dont think hooking up a monitor to a laptop is going to be that different to playing on the laptop. alternatively withdraw roll and learn to "stack" tables on ft/ps

• edited November 2012
    Posted by percival09
    Buy this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-IPS224V-inch-Backlit-Monitor/dp/B008F7GVZS/ref=sr_1_1?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1353884984&sr=1-1

Set it up using this:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/organization/twomonitors.aspx

The only problem you may find is your laptop isn't powerful enough to run multiple tables on the laptop display and the monitor at the same time.

If that's the case then you have 7 days under the distance selling regulations to return it for a full refund.  (I think Amazon give you longer in the run up to Christmas).

Now for the boring technical bit.  Pretty much any monitor with 1920 x 1080 resolution will suit your needs as they all show the same amount of pixels.  The only difference is the larger the monitor the larger the pixels and the further you can sit and see it from.  Someone like beaneh who will sit for a gazillion hours playing will use 27"+ monitors to prevent eye fatigue.  For you I would think that using the laptop and monitor at the same time 23" is sufficient and since it's an IPS monitor you can place it at just about any angle and see the screen perfectly.

Keep your $1.  :-)
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: monitor : Buy this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-IPS224V-inch-Backlit-Monitor/dp/B008F7GVZS/ref=sr_1_1?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1353884984&sr=1-1 Set it up using this: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/organization/twomonitors.aspx The only problem you may find is your laptop isn't powerful enough to run multiple tables on the laptop display and the monitor at the same time. If that's the case then you have 7 days under the distance selling regulations to return it for a full refund.  (I think Amazon give you longer in the run up to Christmas). Now for the boring technical bit.  Pretty much any m onitor with 1920 x 1080 resolution w ill suit your nee ds as they all show the same amoun t of pixels.  The only difference is the larger the monitor the larger the pixels and the further you can sit and see it from.  Someone like beaneh who will sit for a gazillion hours playing will use 27"+ m onitor s to prevent eye fat igue .  For you I would think that using the laptop and monitor at th e same time 23" is sufficient and since it's an IPS monitor you can place it at just about any angle and see the screen perfectly. Keep your $1.  :-)
    Posted by Machka

wow ty v.much. So it's a 22", how many tables do you think I can run on tha w/out overlap?

Either way I think I'll buy it cos it's only £100!

And when it arrives, what kinda cable do I need to hook it up? just like a hdmi? or something different? and do I just plug it in and it does it itself? Sorry complete technical novice here haha. is all appreciated

edit: sorry just noticed your 'two monitors set up' link

ty :-)