You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

***Sit and Go*** Discussion to boost liquidity

edited December 2012 in Poker Chat
Hey guys,

So last night on the show a couple of people mentioned that they were disappointed by the lack of the normal Sit and Go action on the site,  Now this is obviously because of the popularity of the DYM format.

And as the last few weeks there has been some great contributions from the forum on many different subjects I thought it would be nice to open it up to you guys. 

The reason why I think that getting some decent Sit and Go traffic is important is because a lot of people want to play a quick 'MTT' esq game and to some people Timed tournies and DYMs don't appeal so would fill a gap in the market IMO.

So all ideas really are welcome and Sky Poker will definatly keep an eye on this thread!

Here's a couple I have:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Sit and Go (standard only) championship leaderboard.  Similar to the Kings of Cash promo with different tiers.  Could have cash or maybe prizes for the top 5/10 players for the month.

To try and differentiate between Sit and Go's and DYMs.  Maybe have a look at how the lobby could be sorted.  Possibly give DYMs their own blue tab alongside Cash Games/Sit and Go/Tournies.

-------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure you guys have better ideas tho so keep them coming.....

Comments

• edited December 2012
    In Response to ***Sit and Go*** Discussion to boost liquidity:
    Hey guys, So last night on the show a couple of people mentioned that they were disappointed by the lack of the normal Sit and Go action on the site,  Now this is obviously because of the popularity of the DYM format. And as the last few weeks there has been some great contributions from the forum on many different subjects I thought it would be nice to open it up to you guys.  The reason why I think that getting some decent Sit and Go traffic is important is because a lot of people want to play a quick 'MTT' esq game and to some people Timed tournies and DYMs don't appeal so would fill a gap in the market IMO. So all ideas really are welcome and Sky Poker will definatly keep an eye on this thread! Here's a couple I have: ----------------------------------------------------------------- Sit and Go (standard only) championship leaderboard.  Similar to the Kings of Cash promo with different tiers.  Could have cash or maybe prizes for the top 5/10 players for the month. To try and differentiate between Sit and Go's and DYMs.  Maybe have a look at how the lobby could be sorted.  Possibly give DYMs their own blue tab alongside Cash Games/Sit and Go/Tournies. ------------------------------------------------------- I'm sure you guys have better ideas tho so keep them coming.....
    Posted by scotty77
    i put this idea in last nights show thread i thinkk this would be a good idea so +1 from me
  • edited December 2012
    Ah did you RLT sorry I must have missed it!

Any ideas to expand on a leaderboard as to how it would work?  what about the games themselves?  BIs/max runners/structure?
  • edited December 2012

Could sky maybe double the poker points you get on these for a limited time? im not sure how viable this is as i dont know the amounts sky is making and wether this would cost them to much to do but thought it might be worth thinking about.

or shut down MTT's for a day so we have no choice but to play the sit and go's :D really bad idea i know

• edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: ***Sit and Go*** Discussion to boost liquidity:
    Ah did you RLT sorry I must have missed it! Any ideas to expand on a leaderboard as to how it would work?  what about the games themselves?  BIs/max runners/structure?
    Posted by scotty77
    i was thinking about it on the way to work today actually best i coudl think of was this...

lets take a 12 man s+g as an example, i believe 3 players get payed (correct me if im wrong) the top 3 players could be awarded points with the last payed player getting 1 point, 2nd getting 2, and 1st getting either 3 or 4 (depends if u want to give an extra bonus to winner but either would work)

same if it was a 6 player and only 2 were being payed.. 1 point for 2nd and 2/3 for 1st

add the points up at the end of the month and split the stakes up again like in the kings for cash and give top 5/10 in each group a prize

Simples :D
  • edited December 2012
    Improve the payout for 2nd place, should be at least double your buy-in.
  • edited December 2012
    i suggested this a while back how about a heads up sit n go 32 player knockout   3min blinds so if some 1 does win quickly not waiting that long for next heads up 

or even a shoot out  3 tables of 10  the top 3 of each table of 10 get to play in a final table of 9 

and they take the stacks forward 
  • edited December 2012
    i suggested this a while back how about a heads up sit n go 32 player knockout   3min blinds so if some 1 does win quickly not waiting that long for next heads up  or even a shoot out  3 tables of 10  the top 3 of each table of 10 get to play in a final table of 9  and they take the stacks forward 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Neither of these suggestions relates to the play-to-a-winner sit and go strucutre, IDCU...

The idea of awarding points for victories and then payout at the end of the week/month is pretty much the same of the Battle Of The Planets promotion on Pokerstars but that's okay. It really is the obvious promotion to have.

I struggle to think of any other possible promotion, however I do think that any reward system should be:

i) Paid out weekly. This would encourage more casual players to have a go rather than isolating it purely to SNG grinders as would probably happen in a monthly payout system.

ii) Paid out on the basis of performance over blocks of x number of games, rather than over total number of games played (This suggestion really is a total rip-off of BOTP). It rewards performance and removes the possibility of people winning the promotion by nitting up, breaking even in their play but playing such massive volume that they inevitably get the most points. This encourages creative poker and makes the game more interesting for recreational players. Again, it allows recreational players to have a chance of winning.
  • edited December 2012
    i suggested this a while back how about a heads up sit n go 32 player knockout   3min blinds so if some 1 does win quickly not waiting that long for next heads up  or even a shoot out  3 tables of 10  the top 3 of each table of 10 get to play in a final table of 9  and they take the stacks forward 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    i like the idea behind the tournaments but people arent even filling the 10/12 man games.
    30 or 32 player sit and go's are months and months away form even being thought about in my opinion
  • edited December 2012
    All the new sit'n'go's that have been added recently have 1-2 or 3min blinds & never seem to run.
    I tried 1 of the 2 min blinds.I started on the button 3 players were using there full time bar all the time by the time the blinds reached me they were 200/100 & you only start with 1000 chips.So not my type of game.
    For me as a rec 5min blind levels are the lowest worth playing.So any promo is not going to make me play more if all the games are aimed at turbo players.
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: ***Sit and Go*** Discussion to boost liquidity : Neither of these suggestions relates to the play-to-a-winner sit and go strucutre, IDCU... The idea of awarding points for victories and then payout at the end of the week/month is pretty much the same of the Battle Of The Planets promotion on Pokerstars but that's okay. It really is the obvious promotion to have. I struggle to think of any other possible promotion, however I do think that any reward system should be: i) Paid out weekly. This would encourage more casual players to have a go rather than isolating it purely to SNG grinders as would probably happen in a monthly payout system. ii) Paid out on the basis of performance over blocks of x number of games, rather than over total number of games played (This suggestion really is a total rip-off of BOTP). It rewards performance and removes the possibility of people winning the promotion by nitting up, breaking even in their play but playing such massive volume that they inevitably get the most points. This encourages creative poker and makes the game more interesting for recreational players. Again, it allows recreational players to have a chance of winning.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    aah i've never played on stars didnt know about that promotion  but im sure even if it was similar they could make it work, i like your idea about having it paid out weekly, so make it 4 weekly tournaments for a month rather than a montly one, good thinking between us we've got this sorted. im not sure how you could do it based on performance becuase surely then your talking about % of wins and if a guy only plays 1 and wins it hes just going to stop playing more. unless theres a minimum amount of games you have to play to qualify for the promotion.
  • edited December 2012
    Good to see this posting as we do need to get more into the stgs. I know anything that is done needs to work from a business point of view and also for the players which is always going to be a hard one to keep happy.

My idea is why not run some kind of  league again just for the STG maybe over the first few months of the new year at the end of it the top players in high middle and micro stakes get to play a live STG to be shown on Sky Poker channel and then winner can get a nice trophy and some prizes.

By doing this it should work for sky as can also be used as promo meterial and gives sky another USP to other sites and for the players they get something different and something to look forward to.
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: ***Sit and Go*** Discussion to boost liquidity : aah i've never played on stars didnt know about that promotion  but im sure even if it was similar they could make it work, i like your idea about having it paid out weekly, so make it 4 weekly tournaments for a month rather than a montly one, good thinking between us we've got this sorted. im not sure how you could do it based on performance becuase surely then your talking about % of wins and if a guy only plays 1 and wins it hes just going to stop playing more. unless theres a minimum amount of games you have to play to qualify for the promotion.
    Posted by RLT16
    Yeah, you have to run it over the course of a certain number of games. On Pokerstars they have two leagues, one for your best 100 block (Which is for the high volume players) and one for your best 20 game block. Now obviously it's unlikely that Sky will generate any high volume league but if they adopted a best 10 games structure that would seem reasonable.

I'd also quite like it if second wasn't rewarded at all, and only first places count. The problem with that would be that it would show no favour to full-ring tables and would naturally benefit 6-max play. If that were deemed unreasonable, then a league points system would be the natural alternative.

As for rewards, I think that having a weekly payout is desirable. I would favour an additional system of weekly freeroll SNG's for the best couple of players in each band:

High stakes player A
    High stakes player B
    Mid stakes player A
    Mid stakes player B
    Low stakes player A
    Low stakes player B

This structure would seem to favour the lower stakes players as their ROI would obviously be higher, however if run in conjuction with a reward system for league position in each band, the freeroll would be a bonus for the higher stakes players, while being a significant carrot for the low stakes players. The Top Of The Posts payout structure would be a good starting point for the freeroll.

A combination of straightforward league payouts and freerolls would seem to do more to encourage traffic. However, if one were to be chosen over the other, then I would suggest a straight payout system would be best.

For the reasons I stated earlier, I must emphasise that I think it's critical that the system pays out weekly and rewards performance over a set block of games, rather than rewarding participation as the old Sit and Go Champ promotion did.
  • edited December 2012
    Good to see this posting as we do need to get more into the stgs. I know anything that is done nee ds to work from a business point of view and also for the players which is always going to be a hard one to keep happy. My idea is why not run some kind of  league again just for the STG maybe over the first few months of the new year at the end of it the top players in hig h middle and micro stakes get to play a live ST G to be shown on Sky Poker channel and then winner can get a nice trophy and some prizes. By doing this it should work for sky as can also be used as promo meterial and gives sky another USP to other sites and for the players they get somethin g different and something to look forward to.
    Posted by MRBURNS4
    My issue with this is that recreational players will not commit to a promotion over the course of several months. Naturally this would mean that only grinders would be in contention and it would do little to increase traffic. If a recreational player can see a reward for playing ten times in a week, they might play ten times. If they see rewards are only available for playing a couple of hundred times over the course of several months, there's nothing new to encourage them to play at all.

There is little point in trying to appeal to high volume SNG players in my opinion. These players will already be grinding high volume on Stars and trying to draw them away is going to be very tricky. Any promotion on Sky will live or die by how it appeals to recreational players, mainly those already playing DYM's but not finding them stimulating enough to play a large (by recreational standards) volume of games.
  • edited December 2012
    Coming at this from a different angle. I think promotions are one thing (a good thing), but visibility and people's mindsets need to change to drive more traffic?

By being 'clever' and cross promoting SNGs, within the "Tournament" tab, when they are say, 70% full, or permanently pinning a couple to the top of the tournament lobby, I think they could fill rapidly.  Know a lot of people who pop straight onto the tournament lobby and sign up for the next £3.30 BH or £2.20 f/o, that's at the top of the list.

See attached (really bad photoshopped - sorry) image to illustrate point.

Dan
  • edited December 2012
    • Reduce rake to 5%
    • Introduce some kind of weekly/monthly Leaderboard with prizes (Heck even tournament entries would be fine)
  • edited December 2012
    Hi

This is the first time i have made a post on the forum.

I use to play a lot of sit and go on another site until they joined ongame. Every so often they ran promo of sit and go with bounties on the head of the site pro's. There were 5 or 6 pro on the site and for a week or so they all played sit and go and there was a $25 bonus for knocking out the relevant pro, some sit and go's had 2 or 3 pro's sat so if you won and knocked them all out you earned a decent payout.

I think this would be ideal with bounties on the heads of say "yoyo, lolufold, scotty77, tikay and all the presenters.

hope this makes sense
    cheers
  • edited December 2012
    Put them in a different tab, or do somethin, the whole sit n go lobby looks an absolute mess
  • edited December 2012

I go eleswhere to play S&G's due to this problem. I would keep a promo simple. Either on the lines of "win 3 on trot and double your prize money " or play x games to win a big tourney entry or freerollor a Xmas cracker. Always best to keep it simple.

• edited December 2012
    Replying to myself - another site I tried ran a win 5 for £1000 jackpot series . They were always well occupied. Don't know if anyone ever won it but its a thought.

I go eleswhere to play S&G's due to this problem. I would keep a promo simple. Either on the lines of "win 3 on trot and double your prize money " or play x games to win a big tourney entry or freerollor a Xmas cracker. Always best to keep it simple.
    Posted by tiercel
  • edited December 2012
    The first thing you've got to do is to be more careful with the phrase "STTs" when you actually mean Sit & Gos. Over the wider poker community, most Sit & Gos are actually MTTs.
  • edited December 2012
    I think there is just too much choice when it comes o SnG's on Sky. Just having a look in the lobby now you have these:

Supersonic
    Hypercharged HU
    Turbocharged HU
    Regular HU
    BH
    Turbo
    Turbo DYM
    DYM
    Reg SnG
    4x4
    3k chips turbo
    Treble Up
    5-4-3-2-1
    All in treble up
    Russian Roulette
    4 Max
    Scary

Do all these run? I think it's definitely a case of less is more. If you got rid of all the 'noise' in the lobby people could see wood for trees. (Granted you do have a filter, but I don't even use it and I play DYMs most days now, so I doubt recreational players use it)

Also if there is a leaderboard (Which I think is the best idea) I strongly believe there should be one for DYM as well as SnG's. This way people can multi table both Regular SnG's as well as DYMs when the traffic is slower. They can register for the SnG's they want to play and also play some DYMs while they wait for the tables to fill.
    Like others have said I agree it should be weighted towards ability/win rate rather than just points earned or this will discourage recreational players from entering.
  • edited December 2012
    this

Sit and Go (standard only) championship leaderboard.  Similar to the Kings of Cash promo with different tiers.  Could have cash or maybe prizes for the top 5/10 players for the month.

6 max
    1-2 place get paid
    £2-£w/e
    REG SNG''s

SNG lobby is just a headache to navigate
  • edited December 2012
    looking at the whole SNG/DYM/Tournament tabs for a long ranty post about updating a tonne of stuff the other week it seemed like there were just tonnes of structures all very similar, some 3/4/5/6/7 minute blind levels. 

really think a large overhaul needs to be done with regards to structures/formats on offer and the way you view them.

offering more formats ie winner takes all, matrix style reg 1 get a few tables etc Have regimented speeds rather than a million different options some with the same names etc.

As I think Dan the photoshopman said (mass kudos) SNGs etc are TOURNAMENTS yet they are in their own tab. There should be just CASH/MTT. Then break them down from there. When looking at MTTs you should be able to see if there are SNGs close to starting off needing 1-2 runners.

Other sites have also found that people really like the middling ground, so tournament format but a couple of tables, but not enough tables that it takes too long. Many 180 man SNGs, 90 man SNGs etc run constantly for small to medium buyins on other sites. obviously I would assume with the liquidity and playerpool 180 would or even 90 would be way too high a number to have any volume of these games running. 18 man sngs maybe keeping with what seems to always be 6 handed tables?

I also deffo don't understand the use of the yellow bar in the sng area, it's use is confusing and not particularly helpful in the Tournament section in the sng section it seems egregious as all it seems to show are running tournaments and empty tournaments.
  • edited December 2012
    Biggest problem is sky is 6 handed so only 2 places paid and a low second place prize too thats why DYMs are the main sitngo format that everyone plays on this site. People (myself included) want to play 9 or 10 handed with 3 prizes (1st 50% 2nd 30% 3rd 20%)
    Unfortunately sky would not have the player base to fill a 9 or ten seated format people would get fed up and dereg
  • edited December 2012
    Coming at this from a different angle. I think promotions are one thing (a good thing), but visibility and people's mindsets need to change to drive more traffic? By being 'clever' and cross promoting SNGs, within the "Tournament" tab, when they are say, 70% full, or permanently pinning a couple to the top of the tournament lobby, I think they could fill rapidly.  Know a lot of people who pop straight onto the tournament lobby and sign up for the next £3.30 BH or £2.20 f/o, that's at the top of the list. See attached (really bad photoshopped - sorry) image to illustrate point. Dan
    Posted by dtm75

I like this ^^^
  • edited December 2012
    sorry just saw there are 10 handed sngs in the lobby guess it comes down to volume and all us DYM junkies lol
  • edited December 2012
    Hi Scotty77

It is an interesting question. As a recreatioal player and relatively who plays low volume, i want to compare myself to others as a way of seeing progress. I find that the number of types of games is more of a put-off than attraction. I've found a couple i like and i've got strategies for them. Yes, maybe others will be introduced in time. You just can't see the wood for the trees.
     May i say that the loss of the league tables was a big mistake in my opinion as it enabled players to 'see' improvement. There doesn't seem to have been any reason whatsoever for it thought the fact that it doesn't create monet literally may be a part. The recreational player is not a grinder by defn but sees the site as being totally weighted towards them. Yes, it is a business but if that 'wall' of volume has to be climbed at least let small volume players be involved in some type of league where here is a chance of appearing on a board. Yhough this has little to do with stt's why not have league board of various things eg successive dym's , highest roi's in mtt's for different levels aetc Top 20 results in a month say with five prizes to best roi's and a min number of games to qualify. You may find that it converts players to the 'grind' and so promotes more action.

After all we say average but mathematically there are three types of average ie mean(usual one),median(midde one when placed in order), mode(most common value) so there could be small scale leagues with different statistical goals.
    I understand that sky poker bring out promotions to increase volume but i do feel that, in general, the low volume user, feels ignored and will not try to get involved. This is losing potential long term players.
    For low volume players, how about 18 man T's with payment for Ft. say money back 6,5,4 then step ups for 1,2,3. The length of these T's and blind levels etc need others to sort out but as long as its not a donk fest and there's a feeling of acheivement for one, reaching the FT and taking it down then i think it would appeal to someone for £3.30-£5.50. The rational would be one third come out the other side instead of 50% in dym's which can be formulaic.
    I'm not sure what will come from this thread but its good to see SKY trying....
  • edited December 2012
    A league system much like the K4C promotion a couple of months ago would be good. Obviously at different buyins and probably reward performance rather than volume but I guess both would be included as Sky are here to make money.

If you play a 6 man SNG and come 6th you get 1 point if you come 1st you get 6 points and see who has the best average, points divided by games. With a minimum of 100 games over a month or something like that. 
  • edited December 2012
    Haven't read through all the replies so I dunno if I'm repeating what someone has said here, but here was my reply when Ryan posted it on FB...

Put a mini jackpot on them. I know some other 'not so great' sites do this but it would definitely encourage people to play them. Ones I used to do were 12 runners, $2.40 (I think) and if you won 4 in a row, you got $2,000. I once won 3 in a row, then took a bad beat 3 handed in my 4th one ...sigh. But yeah it definitely made me wanna play them more.

Just say £2.20 10-seaters, win 4 in a row and get £75. Not gonna happen that often and even if it means they run 10 times per day more than they do now that's £20 per day of rake, and it wont get won everyday, no way
  • edited December 2012
    The ability to have private sng's.

Many of the forum regs play forum sng usually 10 seater £2 games late night / early morning at weekends and a table is picked and linked posted up elsewhere. Thi usually fills up quite quickly but you inevetably get a couple of interlopers. Where as this is not a problem the game usually has a certain amount of banter attached to it which outsiders feel left out from or possibly feel that they are being colluded against.

Make it possible like the team mtt's that a person can start a game and add a password to it to reserve the game for those that want in and dont mind/enjoy the banter. This is also known on some other sites as a "home game" or "freinds game".