You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sitting out...it's unsporting!!!

edited December 2012 in Poker Chat
I really think that players who make final tables through sitting out sucks. If they make the final table and insist in sitting out for more than 10 hands they should be forced all in on every hand thereafter. It is unfair and unsporting to play in this fashion while everyone else is pitting their skills to win the tournament... CAN WE DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT SKY???? you don't allow it on the cash tables..so why can't you use the same program to remove the player from the final table.... it is frustrating for all concerned at the final table, as I am sure many will agree!!!! 

Comments

• edited December 2012

You got to a final table and someone was sat out ??

How lucky you are mate.
  • edited December 2012
    No one will aree with you larry. Free poker chips in a MTT/sng who wouldnt say no!
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Sitting out...it's unsporting!!!:
    I really think that players who make final tables through sitting out sucks. If they make the final table and insist in sitting out for more than 10 hands they should be forced all in on every hand thereafter. It is unfair and unsporting to play in this fashion while everyone else is pitting their skills to win the tournament... CAN WE DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT SKY???? you don't allow it on the cash tables..so why can't you use the same program to remove the player from the final table.... it is frustrating for all concerned at the final table, as I am sure many will agree!!!! 
    Posted by larry1959

what you need to think about is how you can best take advantage of this. easy blinds to steal etc. and if your making a risky all in play on the bubble when theres a guy sat out and has like 4 big blinds and has been for a while now then i suggest you visit the doctors

• edited December 2012
    Surely by the time you get to a final table the blinds are to big to be able to sit out for any amount of time anyway.
    + what everyone else said.
  • edited December 2012
    How many people do you are sitting out, on a Final Table, deliberately? Must be very. very rare
  • edited December 2012

Should people that fold every single hand be booted off too?

That's all they are doing............
  • edited December 2012
    Posted by larry1959
    Have you never lost your connection?
    Ever had a domestic emergency?
    I've only had an opponent sit out on a final table once. His connection went and from chip leader he finished 6th.
    How many times has this happened?

• edited December 2012
    I don't mind at all if people want to sit out.

However I would like to see their hand killed as soon as it's dealt. There's nothing more tilting than an auto all-in keep that keeps doubling in the blinds several orbits in a row. Also it would stop the sneaky tactic used by some who feign being away only to jump back in when they pick up a premium hand, waiting until after others have put chips in the pot before clicking the 'I'm back' button.
  • edited December 2012
    Posted by larry1959
    So after 10 hands you want to play against some who has to go all in every hand?........next time you are on a ft try shoving every hand....you will see how hard it is to play back at..
  • edited December 2012
    Ive never seen this done deliberately on a Final Table in a regular MTT

I have seen it done & done it myself if......its a Satellite MTT and I have a mahooooosive chip lead and believe I can qualify without playing another hand - Why would I want to risk my chances?

A lot of the time players just lose connection - some players have even been known to fall asleep (Me included) but I payed my money, so I can do what I like with my chips.

Your job is to work out how to take them :) 
  • edited December 2012
    Lots of good comments here...and agree with most, there are exceptions as mentioned. This is a regular occurance on the late night tables, I think the best option is the auto folding of every hand , which happens anyway when you raise an 'away' player. I still think it is an unsporting way to play, especially in the cash stages, when other players are trying to win and they are just losing their blinds. I think after 10 hands they should be removed from the table..they still cash but cant sit out to a bigger prize
  • edited December 2012
    I was always under the assumption that if you paid your money you can play/not play how you want as long as it'sn within the rules

• edited December 2012
    Am i missing something here??

you are complaining about someone who is giving away free uncontested chips?

whats not to like.. if you are short stack or wish to ladder up then just wait till he gets blinded out..  if you are a big stack then bully the others to make sure you are the one getting his free money!!
  • edited December 2012
    It is a little bizarre to think that players sitting out are giving themselves some sort of advantage. Even if they happen to ladder up a place or two, they lose all hope of actually winning. In the long term sitting out costs a fortune. Not that anyone would ever deliberately do so in any MTT unless they're nutters that don't like money.

This is probably the strangest thread I've ever seen on the forum. You're complaining about something that is to your enormous benefit. If my opponents were sat out so I could steal their chips at will, I would be quite delighted. Free money!? Yey!! :D
  • edited December 2012
    everyone has their own way of playing. im sure i read on a forum somewhere that durning the bubble at the wsop main event over 1/3rd of the field were "sat out" (away from their seat) while others used this chance to try and steal some free chips (risking losing some)

what im saying is that they are doing nothing wrong.. its up to you and everyone else to counter this and get his chips
  • edited December 2012

Hi Larry.

I'd just like to clarify this for you.

It is the 100% right of any player to "sit out", at any stage, of any Tournament, Live or Online, right across the world, & on every poker site.

Except when, as decribed by Gary, as being done for the purposes of deception, it is NOT unsporting, nor is it against any rules of poker, anywhere.

The "sat out" player is severely disadvantaged, the active players are all at an advantage.

Again, except in the rarest & most peculiar circumstances (say, a 7 runner Tourney), it is not generally possible to sit-out for the entirety of a Tourney & reach the positions which receive cash, they would be blinded out long before that.

I'm sorry you think it is "unsporting", but it is not, & it is definitely everyone's right to play as they wish as long as it is within the Rules.

• edited December 2012
    im just guessing but u say it happens mostly on late night tables, well maybe they just fall asleep.... Make the most of it...
  • edited December 2012
    Maxally sits out in every mtt he plays imo :)

still bubbles or min cashes every time tho, so it must work! ish 

• edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Sitting out...it's unsporting!!!:
    Hi Larry. I'd just like to clarify this for you. It is the 100% right of any player to "sit out", at any stage, of any Tournament, Live or Online, right across the world, & on every poker site. Except when, as decribed by Gary, as being done for the purposes of deception, it is NOT unsporting, nor is it against any rules of poker, anywhere.   The "sat out" player is severely disadvantaged, the active players are all at an advantage.   Again, except in the rarest & most peculiar circumstances (say, a 7 runner Tourney), it is not generally possible to sit-out for the entirety of a Tourney & reach the positions which receive cash, they would be blinded out long before that.   I'm sorry you think it is "unsporting", but it is not, & it is definitely everyone's right to play as they wish as long as it is within the Rules.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi Tikay, I understand the rules and knew that sitting out is an option available to all players. The reason I said I thought it was ''unsporting'' was because there are those who use the rule for advantage, thus, in my book for deception.
    It is also a topic which I knew would be a cause of debate, which is what the forum is all about...hence the posting. It's great to see how people react to given circumstances and scenarios.. :-)
  • edited December 2012
    I am all for debate...in fact many an evening I spend having a mass debate.

Anyway...Please can you explain how in a MTT which always have top heavy payouts someone gains advantage by sitting out?
  • edited December 2012
    Would you prefer if they sat in but just folded 100% of hands?
  • edited December 2012
    I am all for debate...in fact many an evening I spend having a mass debate. Anyway...Please can you explain how in a MTT which always have top heavy payouts someone gains advantage by sitting out?
    Posted by MattBates
    PMSL! [just spat a little bit of coffee at the screen]
  • edited December 2012
    so answear to your question larry. No one agrees :D
  • edited December 2012
    I would say it's not unsporting to sit out but it creates a dynamic when someone does sit out though, lots of steals and re steals.

But I think anyone with a brain would not sit out towards a final table, even if they were massive chip leader - I mean cmon you gotta be a bit stoopid to do that and think it's an advantage.

Gotta say though sitting out and then sitting back in when someone tries to steal and then jamming on them is so lol
    Like a reverse double bluff )
  • edited December 2012
    I am all for debate...in fact many an evening I spend having a mass debate. Anyway...Please can you explain how in a MTT which always have top heavy payouts someone gains advantage by sitting out?
    Posted by MattBates

the advantage can come when you hit the final table and sat 5th/6th with a reasonable stack 20/30 blinds, while other players get knocked out around you..thats 120 hands of poker b4 you run out of chips, meanwhile others are getting knocked out around you in creasing your prize place without doing anything.
  • edited December 2012
    so answear to your question larry. No one agrees :D
    Posted by shaun09
    it would be a very sad post if everyone agreed.... it's more about peoples views, their take on a given situation and how they deal with it...and the responses have been great.. :-)
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Sitting out...it's unsporting!!! : the advantage can come when you hit the final table and sat 5th/6th with a reasonable stack 20/30 blinds, while other players get knocked out around you..thats 120 hands of poker b4 you run out of chips, meanwhile others are getting knocked out around you in creasing your prize place without doing anything.
    Posted by larry1959
    The idea is afterall to win as much money as possible

Its the same difference if he continually clicks fold as it is if he sits out.

Laddering FTW :)
  • ckdckd
    edited December 2012

also got to think what happens if the player has played for a bit got a big stack then there power goes  they will be sat out 

20 min later it comes back on they get back and find they have been kicked out of the game 

i would not be happy and dont think any1 else would be 

if there sat out steal when u can if not wait and ladder up 

all part of the game ( just waiting for a main where everyone sits out please )
  • edited December 2012
    people don't often choose to be sitting out!

unavaiable for something they've satted into, lost connection etc.

as a player in a tournament you should be happy as they are just blinding away. you are exceptionally lucky to get the free chips at your table.
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Sitting out...it's unsporting!!! : the advantage can come when you hit the final table and sat 5th/6th with a reasonable stack 20/30 blinds, while other players get knocked out around you..thats 120 hands of poker b4 you run out of chips, meanwhile others are getting knocked out around you in creasing your prize place without doing anything.
    Posted by larry1959
    Larry, what about people that are present, but are folding every single hand?