You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Breaking the rules???

edited December 2012 in Poker Chat
I just played a DYM in which one player (i have their alias's but won't put them on here) told another player to shove on him so he could double him up as he was a short stack. they said this in the chat box and had been talking for the entire game and knew each other well.. surely this is a break of the rules and against the ethics of the game, i feel i should do something about this. as i feel the 4th placed player has been conned out of their money... what is the best means of action for this?? or is this allowed???

Comments

• edited December 2012
    it is against the rules and you should report them to Customer care mate! Collussion is unacceptable.
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Breaking the rules???:
    it is against the rules and you should report them to Customer care mate! Collussion is unacceptable.
    Posted by smarr

just informed sky of what went on.. they simply said it would be dealt with internally... they refused to say what punishment would take place, and i can still see those players playing on the site, so not too impressed if im honest
  • edited December 2012
    sky will take this seriously but it will take time to look into.. even though these two players have been caught because they were chatting in the chat box you can see, but trust me this happens in nearly all the dyms on alot of sites (including sky).  only difference is they use different means of chat.. msm/facebook chat etc etc. everyone will deny this happens but trust me it does!!
  • edited December 2012
    sky will take this seriously but it will take time to look into.. even though these two players have been caught because they were chatting in the chat box you can see, but trust me this happens in nearly all the dyms on alot of sites (including sky).  only difference is they use different means of chat.. msm/facebook chat etc etc. everyone will deny this happens but trust me it does!!
    Posted by pocket9s

i just think that there should be a standard punishment for those who just blatantly cheat.. sky should have there guidelines and punishments for all to see, that way it would surely deter people from cheating..
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Breaking the rules??? : i just think that there should be a standard punishment for those who just blatantly cheat.. sky should have there guidelines and punishments for all to see, that way it would surely deter people from cheating..
    Posted by jordz16
    they will punish them, but what im saying is.... even if you dont see this again it dosednt mean it has stopped. it just means they are chatting else where other than game chat ie msm facebook etc etc..
  • edited December 2012
    Posted by pocket9s
    really?
  • edited December 2012
    dyms are exceptionally easy to collude in, which is why the format has been removed from alot of other sites.

dyms are horrible.
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Breaking the rules??? : really?
    Posted by Jac35
    yeah.. sad but true!!
  • edited December 2012
    These were particularly thick colluders if true; choosing to use the chatbox to organise things. Usually it's done by a means invisible to the other players, MSN or Facebook chat for example.

Unfortunately what beaneh says is true, DYMs are ripe for collusion. I don't think it's particularly common here on Sky but all players should watch out for the tell tale signs. Once someone is onto the culprits and reports their suspicions the colluders are soon exposed and the site will take appropriate action. If in doubt report, if they're doing nothing wrong they'll soon be cleared and will be unaware of your suspicions.

Savvy Sharkscope subscribers can use filters to quickly establish if the suspects play together in DYMs frequently, it's a big red flag if they do (high volume regs excepted).

In 2010 PokerStars permanently scrapped the DYM format and refunded over $2million to affected after uncovering a large gang of Chinese colluders operating on their site.
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Breaking the rules???:
    I just played a DYM in which one player (i have their alias's but won't put them on here) told another player to shove on him so he could double him up as he was a short stack. they said this in the chat box and had been talking for the entire game and knew each other well.. surely this is a break of the rules and against the ethics of the game, i feel i should do something about this. as i feel the 4th placed player has been conned out of their money... what is the best means of action for this?? or is this allowed???
    Posted by jordz16
    you really should name these pair of knobs on here aswell so were all aware about who it is, cheats dont deserved to have protected identity.
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Breaking the rules??? : you really should name these pair of knobs on here aswell so were all aware about who it is, cheats dont deserved to have protected identity.
    Posted by THEROCK573

I am very tempted to name them but dont know whether i would be breaking sky rules in doing so, if i can get clearance to then i will.. they are very known names on this site which is what alarmed me even more
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Breaking the rules??? : I am very tempted to name them but dont know whether i would be breaking sky rules in doing so, if i can get clearance to then i will.. they are very known names on this site which is what alarmed me even more
    Posted by jordz16
    This would be breaking the forum rules.

Report them and let Customer Services deal with it.

They are after all innocent until proven guilty.
  • edited December 2012
    Did the other player shove as asked by his mate ?
  • edited December 2012
    I don't think it's particularly common here on Sky but all players should watch out for the tell tale signs.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    What signs would you look out for especially?, i only really play DYM and quite often 2 or more other people seem to know each other but i never suspected that cheating was going on.
  • edited December 2012
    Did the other player shove as asked by his mate ?
    Posted by JPW33

yes one player told the other player to shove on him and he would fold or double him up.. then it happened, and basically they were both guaranteed to cash, i finished 3rd so i still cashed so i was going to ignore it but then i thought the player who finished 4th hand basically been conned out of his buy in
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Breaking the rules??? : What signs would you look out for especially?, i only really play DYM and quite often 2 or more other people seem to know each other but i never suspected that cheating was going on.
    Posted by 55013
    Unusual betting patterns. One common tactic that is easily spotted is when two players re-raise each other aggresively preflop, forcing everybody else out of the pot, then the shorter of the two players makes a relatively small bet post flop and the bigger stack folds.

If the same two players play frequent pots against each other but never go to showdown and the shorter stack always seems to win it should set off a red flag. If they live in the same town that's another red flag. 

If you're suspicious there's no point starting a chatbox argument, just report the players concerned to CC and let them do their job. Firstly it would be very embarrasing to incorrectly confront players who aren't doing anything wrong. Secondly, if they really are up to no good you'll alert them and they'll have the opportunity to stop before anything can be proven. 

There's no need to be overly alarmed, I've played 1464 DYMs here on Sky and I've only ever spotted blatent collusion worth reporting once.
  • zzrzzr
    edited December 2012

GarryQQQ Has hit the nail on the head with the last paragragh, blatent, collussion is very hard to prove, been on here 18 months and has happened a few times with different formats.

• edited December 2012
    GarryQQQ Has hit the nail on the head with the last paragragh, blatent, collussion is very hard to prove, been on here 18 months and has happened a few times with different formats.
    Posted by zzr
    it happrns all the time.. its just only a few times been spotted. happens every night on evry site in dyms and even on the cash tables!! its just so difficult to prove!
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Breaking the rules??? : I am very tempted to name them but dont know whether i would be breaking sky rules in doing so, if i can get clearance to then i will.. they are very known names on this site which is what alarmed me even more
    Posted by jordz16
    Morning Jordz.

Yes, I'm sure you are.

Now try turning this on its head.

A random guy gets miffed because he has had a bad night, or lost a few coolers to you, & comes onto the Community & says YOU are a cheat. Sky Poker INSTANLY ban you, without bothering to go through due process, just because this guy said so.

You did not cheat. You got named & shamed. You got banned.

How would you feel it that happened to you?

There are two sides to justice.

If you think someone is cheating, report it. It WILL be properly investigated, & IF PROVEN the villains will be dealt with as appropriate.

Note also that collusion is one of THE hardest things to prove.

Serious colluders would NOT be discussing it in the chat box, be assured, & such a convo would not constitute proof.

If you suspect it, report it. Job done.
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Breaking the rules??? : Morning Jordz.   Yes, I'm sure you are. Now try turning this on its head. A random guy gets miffed because he has had a bad night, or lost a few coolers to you, & comes onto the Community & says YOU are a cheat. Sky Poker INSTANLY ban you, without bothering to go through due process, just because this guy said so. You did not cheat. You got named & shamed. You got banned. How would you feel it that happened to you? There are two sides to justice. If you think someone is cheating, report it. It WILL be properly investigated, & IF PROVEN the villains will be dealt with as appropriate. Note also that collusion is one of THE hardest things to prove.   Serious colluders would NOT be discussing it in the chat box, be assured, & such a convo would not constitute proof. If you suspect it, report it. Job done.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Serious colluders or not, they have discussed it in the chat box then went ahead with their plan. The guy who finished 4th has been cheated out of his chance to finish in the money. Why bother sending secret messages when you can do it in chat box & it`s not deemed proof if reported.
  • edited December 2012
    looks like sky's time to ditch DYMs may be approaching!!!!
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Breaking the rules??? : Serious colluders or not, they have discussed it in the chat box then went ahead with their plan. The guy who finished 4th has been cheated out of his chance to finish in the money. Why bother sending secret messages when you can do it in chat box & it`s not deemed proof if reported.
    Posted by lucy4
    Hi Lucy,

People do not always speak the truth in the Chat Box.

For major tournaments on Sky Poker, BEFORE the cash is paid out, a check of the Final Table HH's takes place.

In a recent instance, one player had said in the chat-box "I folded a flush there for you mate, as I want you to win this".

The HH's were investigated, & the player had not spoken the truth - he did not fold a flush, he had "no hand".

Really, I go back to "what if it were YOU that were accused of cheating?"

The very last YOU would expect is that instead of taking the word of a possibly mischievious or disgruntled player, Sky Poker would CARFEFULLY investigate the facts first before rushing to judgement & snap-banning you. 

• ckdckd
    edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Breaking the rules??? : Hi Lucy, People do not always speak the truth in the Chat Box. For major tournaments on Sky Poker, BEFORE the cash is paid out, a check of the Final Table HH's takes place.   In a recent instance, one player had said in the chat-box "I folded a flush there for you mate, as I want you to win this".   The HH's were investigated, & the player had not spoken the truth - he did not fold a flush, he had "no hand". Really, I go back to " what if it were YOU that were accused of cheating ?" The very last YOU would expect is that instead of taking the word of a possibly mischievious or disgruntled player, Sky Poker would CARFEFULLY investigate the facts first before rushing to judgement & snap-banning you.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    didnt know it was all looked at before it was paid to be honest 

you are allowed to say what hands you had after the hand has finished or allowed to make up a hand  ?

also what is the rule about discussing your hand when its in play 

can you make comments to make people think you have a hand or dont have a hand at all ?
  • edited December 2012

Online (as opposed to "Live") I suppose anyone can say pretty much whatever they like as to their hands. The onus is not on them, it is on YOU to decide whether to listen, or believe.

Good winning players ignore it, in fact most have the chat off.

My advice would be NEVER to believe what someone says during a poker hand.

How many times have you heard AFTER a hand "I had you beat", "I folded the winner there", or "I had Aces" (after just showing one Ace). Ignore it all, it's just tosh & nonsense.

Do NOT listen to what they say. If you do, you only have yourself to blame. ;)

• edited December 2012
    Online (as opposed to "Live") I suppose anyone can say pretty much whatever they like as to their hands. The onus is not on them, it is on YOU to decide whether to listen, or believe. Good winning players ignore it, in fact most have the chat off.   My advice would be NEVER to believe what someone says during a poker hand. How many times have you heard AFTER a hand "I had you beat", "I folded the winner there", or "I had Aces" (after just showing one Ace). Ignore it all, it's just tosh & nonsense. Do NOT listen to what they say. If you do, you only have yourself to blame. ;)
    Posted by Tikay10
    Unless, of course, it's Tikay1 or Tikay10.  He ALWAYS has Aces!  ;-))

• edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Breaking the rules??? : Hi Lucy, People do not always speak the truth in the Chat Box. For major tournaments on Sky Poker, BEFORE the cash is paid out, a check of the Final Table HH's takes place.   In a recent instance, one player had said in the chat-box "I folded a flush there for you mate, as I want you to win this".   The HH's were investigated, & the player had not spoken the truth - he did not fold a flush, he had "no hand". Really, I go back to " what if it were YOU that were accused of cheating ?" The very last YOU would expect is that instead of taking the word of a possibly mischievious or disgruntled player, Sky Poker would CARFEFULLY investigate the facts first before rushing to judgement & snap-banning you.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    Interesting quote!! 
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Breaking the rules??? : Interesting quote!! 
    Posted by kaymac
    The bold bit in your post wasn't a quote it was Tikay's own words, so what do you mean?

• edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Breaking the rules??? : People do not always speak the truth in the Chat Box. 
    Posted by Tikay10
    I always tell the truth in the chat box!  Honest!!
  • edited December 2012
    I do always have aces, i just like giving away my money....
  • edited December 2012
    I shoved on the river once and oppo typed "?" in the chat box, so I typed "FH" he then typed "lolz" and snap called me. He showed KK and I had rivered a set (Gotta love a non-beleiver) Don't think he was too happy I had out witted him with my typing skills & the best hand though lol :)