You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Live hand limp reraise

edited December 2012 in The Poker Clinic
In Response to Live hand limp reraise:
£85 tournament in local bar 8 tables of 9 players.  Its a limp fest so i have to adapt the way i play and start limping in with any kind of decent connecters or anything from any position on table as they all limp pre and if i hit flops they will go broke. Tournament start stack 25000 chips into the 3rd blind level and i have around 40000 chips. Couple of limpers and i limp behind in the cutoff with k9 guy in sb who has done this 3 times from the blinds minimum reraises to 1200 other 2 guys call.  I then contemplate limp reraising as i know he is weak and chance to take it down now or play with him heads up hopefully in position.  So i limp reraise to 5400 he calls in sb and other 2 players fold.  Flop 965 rainbow.  He checks i bet 4k he check jams for 18400 and says lets gamble i tank call with k9 thinking hes gone crazy with a hand like aq or aj he says good call he has 108 but he rivers a 10.  Do you think this is a good spot for me to reraise here pre or should i be happy to play small pots against weaker players in live games?
Posted by bearlyther
My reading of his push is that he was saying that he had a straigh. Not a very subtle bluff, but a feasible one. 
It would though have meant that he started this with a 78, but as you say, that may well have been the case. 

In this case, if I really thought he was bluffing, I might have went all in and made him contemplate being out of the tournament. You did have a decent hand here and the only think that could beat you on the flop was the straight 5-9. 

Other option here is to fold I think, if you think he has the straight.

Of course, if you had gone all-in, as it happens,  you would heva been out of the tournament yourself...

Comments

• edited December 2012
    £85 tournament in local bar 8 tables of 9 players.  Its a limp fest so i have to adapt the way i play and start limping in with any kind of decent connecters or anything from any position on table as they all limp pre and if i hit flops they will go broke. Tournament start stack 25000 chips into the 3rd blind level and i have around 40000 chips.

Couple of limpers and i limp behind in the cutoff with k9 guy in sb who has done this 3 times from the blinds minimum reraises to 1200 other 2 guys call.  I then contemplate limp reraising as i know he is weak and chance to take it down now or play with him heads up hopefully in position.  So i limp reraise to 5400 he calls in sb and other 2 players fold.  Flop 965 rainbow.  He checks i bet 4k he check jams for 18400.  Do you think this is a good spot for me to reraise here pre or should i be happy to play small pots against weaker players in live games?
  • edited December 2012
    crazy the guy calling 5.4k out of a 20k stack   just madness should be all in or fold  alot of times this goes check bet fold on most flops and it should of done on this flop just a crazy guy going all in on this flop

he must of thought that hes check raised all in had enough f/e if u had like ak  a q etc was bad timing for him u had summit just unlucky m8 think about the long term ya loving the jam and the cards he turns over here
  • edited December 2012
    Tip for live poker: bet fold everything 
  • edited December 2012
    What, you limp along with K9o - like why ? The whole table's limping range crushes you :D

terrible play imo

cmon Bearly

They obviously not limping whole range, playing hit or miss poker so just raise dem silly suckers & play some poker
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Live hand limp reraise:
    £85 tournament in local bar 8 tables of 9 players.  Its a limp fest so i have to adapt the way i play and start limping in with any kind of decent connecters or anything from any position on table as they all limp pre and if i hit flops they will go broke. Tournament start stack 25000 chips into the 3rd blind level and i have around 40000 chips. Couple of limpers and i limp behind in the cutoff with k9 guy in sb who has done this 3 times from the blinds minimum reraises to 1200 other 2 guys call.  I then contemplate limp reraising as i know he is weak and chance to take it down now or play with him heads up hopefully in position.  So i limp reraise to 5400 he calls in sb and other 2 players fold.  Flop 965 rainbow.  He checks i bet 4k he check jams for 18400.  Do you think this is a good spot for me to reraise here pre or should i be happy to play small pots against weaker players in live games?
    Posted by bearlyther
    Not sure about this bolded bit? 

There will be some spots where you can limp where you would normally raise/fold. Wudn't be limping all sorts from all positions tho. 

Think you've mullered this hand pre flop! 

Advertising/image post?

Least I back mine up with a genuine HH, u cud be making this up ;)

• edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Live hand limp reraise:
    What, you limp along with K9o - like why ? The whole table's limping range crushes you :D terrible play imo cmon Bearly They obviously not limping whole range, playing hit or miss poker so just raise dem silly suckers & play some poker
    Posted by rancid
    No point raising with marginal hands pre everyones going to call and im inflating the pot.  So i can limp in with pretty much any kind of half decent connecters and if they hit anything on the flop there going broke.
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Live hand limp reraise : Not sure about this bolded bit?  There will be some spots where you can limp where you would normally raise/fold. Wudn't be limping all sorts from all positions tho.  Think you've mullered this hand pre flop!  Advertising/image post? Least I back mine up with a genuine HH, u cud be making this up ;)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Yes was a real hand from last night dohhhhhh.  Yes i think i can limp in spots as know one at table was raising preflop at all hardly.
  • edited December 2012
    eg i think limping utg with a hand like 68 suited is perfectly fine in a game like this
  • edited December 2012
    eg i think limping utg with a hand like 68 suited is perfectly fine in a game like this
    Posted by bearlyther
    ughhhh really?????

I hate the sound of that.

Limp behind some limps w/ it maybe if the blinds are never gonna raise. Prefer Ax suited tho, you're gonna make flushes and get stacked quite often. If it rly is a limpathon you should go into PLO mode and try to make the nuts :)
  • edited December 2012
    if the guy in the sb has been doing this a lot just fold pre
    limping cos the table is passive is one thing, and then a guy always raising from the blinds is another. so youre limp reraising for value w/ K9? lol

i also don't think limping utg w/ suited connectors is ok, there's obv at least 1 player who is raising a lot. over limping is fine when youre in a decent position with connectors etc.. but I wouldn't do it too regularly just because the table is a bit passive

seems to me youre just getting yourself into a v.marginal/tricky spot for no reason other than to crush ppl. when you know you prob have an edge on the table. just pick your spots and own them rather than being over aggressive in weird spots. youre NEVER over limping a strong hand, so its so unbelievably obv that youre bluffing pre. 66 is top of your range loll
  • edited December 2012
    OP translates to me as : Everybody was playing awful, so i decieded to join in with them, here is an example lads, what do you think?
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Live hand limp reraise : No point raising with marginal hands pre everyones going to call and im inflating the pot.  So i can limp in with pretty much any kind of half decent connecters and if they hit anything on the flop there going broke.
    Posted by bearlyther
    Your limping along with K9o, then decide to limp/raise because you thought sb was raising light.

You initial reaons for limping along with K9o are terrible, they not even connected - don't even dominate limp hand ranges - and don't even have possible FD/SD nut draws. The only flop you like is 99x flop - even you flop K high, how many limped K's beat you.
    So if you hit, how you going to know your going to cooler someone with K9o.

fold or rasie pre, cmon you know this

maybe if you have 4-5 limps before you and you limp along with low prs/broadway/connectors etc.. then fair enough but not K9o.

The only issue with limping UTG w/68s is reverse implied odds being the suck of all suck, espcially if everyone is limping all suited conns
  • edited December 2012
    Just had a chat with my coach about this hand.  He thinks limping with a hand like j5 suited is perfectly fine in a game like this but he hates my limp reraise as i should be looking to play small poker against these players.
  • edited December 2012
    dont like the limp reraise but  these live games are an altogether different game  from the intenet game and id be happy to limp in the late positions with a lot worse than k9
    see lots of flops cheap and value bet the life out em when u do connect
    lot these players will make massive mistakes down the streets
  • edited December 2012
    My other coach said he likes it.  Says its creative and looks like i was trapping with a big pocket pair.
  • edited December 2012
    your coach is competent, your other coach is P Hellmuth obv.

Limping alot is mandatory in these games, limp folding is also mandatory, as is limp overcalling with a wider range. I would prob limp and call K9s but fold K9o pre.

joke soft tournament, why are you trying to rep aces vs someone who is appalling? it's just bad play.
  • edited December 2012
    My other coach said he likes it.  Says its creative and looks like i was trapping with a big pocket pair.
    Posted by bearlyther
    If the situation is that when everyone limps the sb raises then yeah I suppose it would look like your trapping with the limp/raise
    The only thing to question is why you limped along and what were your motives.
    Did you think that if sb raises I am going to re pop
    Don't care what your coach says limping along with K9o is bad and you know it, J6s ain't that much better - KJs and yeah ok
    If you was going to limp/raise no matter what your hand because you pre thought of it then fine
    But suppose you just gotta be honest with yourself as to your motives for coming into the hand in the first place

• edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Live hand limp reraise : If the situation is that when everyone limps the sb raises then yeah I suppose it would look like your trapping with the limp/raise The only thing to question is why you limped along and what were your motives. Did you think that if sb raises I am going to re pop Don't care what your coach says limping along with K9o is bad and you know it, J6s ain't that much better - KJs and yeah ok If you was going to limp/raise no matter what your hand because you pre thought of it then fine But suppose you just gotta be honest with yourself as to your motives for coming into the hand in the first place
    Posted by rancid
    The limp along was simply to see a flop against people who are going to go broke if they hit any part of it and therefore we should be playing a much wider range and looking to see as many flops as possible against these players if we think we have an edge postflop and it was k9 suited.  I prefer to just call his minraise if i were to play the hand again.
  • edited December 2012
    . Limping alot is mandatory in these games, limp folding is also mandatory, as is limp overcalling with a wider range. 
    Posted by beaneh
    See benneh agrees with me that we can play different in these fields.
  • edited December 2012
    Just had a chat with my coach about this hand.  He thinks limping with a hand like j5 suited is perfectly fine in a game like this but he hates my limp reraise as i should be looking to play small poker against these players.
    Posted by bearlyther
    No coach would say that limping J5 is profitable in a game like this. And your other coach saying 'it reps a big pair'; guess what? It's a game where people don't care if it looks like you have Kings, they have A9s and they aren't folding cos its suited!
  • edited December 2012
    i'd happily limp J5s but to think you could rep AA vs people who limp call all the time sure will work.
  • edited December 2012
    I can't tell when beaneh is being sarcastic, Limping a suited 5 gapper? Vs limping ranges that have our Jx dominated?
  • edited December 2012
    He checked the flop i bet 4k he check jammed and said lets gamble i called he had 108 for a gutshot river 10.  Yes definately wont be limp raising like this again think its spewy.  Reason they said can limp with trash hands like j5 etc coxy is they said against these players if we hit a flush or whatever there probly going broke with top pair.
  • edited December 2012
    I can't tell when beaneh is being sarcastic, Limping a suited 5 gapper? Vs limping ranges that have our Jx dominated?
    Posted by CoxyLboro

do our opponents make collosal mistakes?

I had actually forgot it's a tourny so I would be tightening up some what, but in general in live splashy games people make such huge mistakes down the streets and it's much harder to make massive preflop mistakes as they always have some equity.

the fact it's a tournament makes the LRR an even bigger mistake.
  • edited December 2012
    Hi B

Sorry i don't understand this play.
    You say its a limp-fest yet you limp with a below par hand for the conditions as you put them. Play hands that can flop big in a disguised fashion or premier hands/ pairs. I'd steer clear of this 'stuff' as fancy Dan plays aren't going to work as well, to my mind. You seem to think you can outplay weak players post flop, so why not trap. You seem to be walking into one with hands K9 o and similar,
    It's easdier to trap than to bluff in these situations surely.
    Maybe i'm missing something as i've not read other posts yet.
  • edited December 2012
    The beauty of playing 5 gappers and beyond!  Waterboat! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OxntHjvRZY
  • edited December 2012
    Everytime you make a flush, you stack someone (speculative, but probably close to true). Likeliehood of making flush, 3%

Everytime you make a pair, you never know whether you are valuebetting, bluffing, or losing (again, not completely true, but pretty close to accurate). Likelihood of making a pair ~30%

Limping J5s is losing proposition imo.
  • edited December 2012
    Everytime you make a flush, you stack someone (speculative, but probably close to true). Likeliehood of making flush, 3% Everytime you make a pair, you never know whether you are valuebetting, bluffing, or losing (again, not completely true, but pretty close to accurate). Likelihood of making a pair ~30% Limping J5s is losing proposition imo.
    Posted by CoxyLboro

I typed long post and lost it cant be a r s ed to do it again

suffice it to say.

we play better than live fishes. lets see some flops and create edges.

live pokers tough brah, errryones solid and playing GTO
  • edited December 2012
    Well K9s yeah ok don't mind it so much cause it's sooted )

prefer J9s, K10s even -  little more connected

Don't know how much of an edge your going to have post flop when everyone limps and could have anything..

Don't get me wroung it's very viable to limp along in these fields when raising only inflates pot, just don't agree on the hand selection.
  • edited December 2012
    this whole hand sounds awful.

worst part I think is the tanking when he jams (from your facebook post).  you make basically top top and you want to bet fold.