You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

NL10: QQ For 180BB

edited December 2012 in The Poker Clinic

My first cash session in months and I'm break-even across three tables prior to this hand. My discipline has been lacking a bit and I've bet/folded a couple of rivers only to find my mouse pointer inexplicably finding the call button. *sigh*

I haven't played a huge number of hands with any of these opponents. However based on the hands I've seen at this table:

Noel has been aggressive and mainly seems to be playing a fairly tight range. He's turned over pocket pairs, suited connectors and high cards, all of which he's played aggressively when it's unopened to him. He hasn't shown a huge regard for position, though. He's bet/called once or twice and subsequently check/folded the flop. I guess we shouldn't be giving him a wide 4-betting range.

Liam has been passive, playing alot of hands and shows little sign that he has any understanding of position or stack size. I only recall seeing him raise once, showing a set on the flop. Quite a weak player, I'd say.

My image is probably very aggressive, particularly on my button. I've mainly shown down reasonable starting hands - apart from one excursion with J8 that I'd rather not talk about - and I've 3-bet in position a few times. I've also 3-bet out of position two or three times with premium hands but these have not gone to showdown so probably increase my aggro image.

It seems pretty bad to fold on this flop after calling the pre-flop 4-bet but how strong is the case for folding to that 4-bet? Given my image and the image of the caller, is it more difficult to find the fold or should I assume that the 4-better isn't considering those things and give him a super-tight range?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
BINLIDS Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £4.45
sowden03 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £15.48
 Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

Limper Call  £0.10 £0.25 £3.84
Noel Raise  £0.40 £0.65 £24.78
bustout44 Fold     
BorinLoner Raise  £1.20 £1.85 £16.71
Liam Call  £1.15 £3.00 £3.30
sowden03 Fold     
Limper Fold     
Noel Raise  £3.20 £6.20 £21.58
BorinLoner Call  £2.40 £8.60 £14.31
Liam All-in  £3.30 £11.90 £0.00
Noel Call  £0.90 £12.80 £20.68
BorinLoner Call  £0.90 £13.70 £13.41
Flop

Noel Bet  £6.00 £19.70 £14.68
BorinLoner All-in  £13.41 £33.11 £0.00
Noel Call  £7.41 £40.52 £7.27

Comments

• edited December 2012

Think shove is the worst option of the 3 u have otf. 

Think Noels 4betting range pre flop will be something like....

KK/AA

Maybe QQ, unlikely but possibly AK too. 

Fold > Call > shove otf.

Prob shud fold to the 4b pre. 

3b/folding QQ sposed to be bad, but ok here I reckon. Prob get slaughtered for that but w/e, just guna get stacked loads if we don't 3b/fold QQ/JJ/AK sometimes @ micros.  

(Dunno about you but the fact the shorty is all in and I get to see Noels hand otf when I fold makes it much easier to do so! :)

----

*edit.

First time round I was lazy and stopped reading OP after I was given the reads. 

"It seems pretty bad to fold on this flop after calling the pre-flop 4-bet but how strong is the case for folding to that 4-bet? Given my image and the image of the caller, is it more difficult to find the fold or should I assume that the 4-better isn't considering those things and give him a super-tight range?"

I agree with the first bolded bit.

Certainly would +1 the 2nd bolded bit!
  • edited December 2012
    I shoved the flop because I figured I'd get the call from AK now anyway, given odds and what not. Calling seemed to be just postponing an inevitable all-in or worse; giving him a chance to get away from an AK, JJ or TT on the turn.

My thoughts pre-flop were "Aha! You could 4-bet here with TT, JJ, AK, AQ because obviously I'm a lunatic and could have anything and you want to get this heads-up with Liam's range for stationing off... Well, I'm not falling for that, mister!"

Levelling myself perhaps? I do that alot.
  • edited December 2012
    It's AA/KK all day, if your 4 bet at NL10 by some random - it's nearly always AA/KK unless you tag oppo as rarther 4 bet happy lighty light some what get's it in with JJ no problem fish moneky stoopid man !!
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: NL10: QQ For 180BB:
    Think shove is the worst option of the 3 u have otf.  Think Noels 4betting range pre flop will be something like.... KK/AA Maybe QQ, unlikely but possibly AK too.  Fold /> Call > shove otf. Prob shud fold to the 4b pre.  3b/folding QQ sposed to be bad, but ok here I reckon. Prob get slaughtered for that but w/e, just guna get stacked loads if we don't 3b/fold QQ/JJ/AK sometimes @ micros.   (Dunno about you but the fact the shorty is all in and I get to see Noels hand otf when I fold makes it much easier to do so! :) 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    This, its annoying but how many ppl 4bet without AA/KK. Most ppl dont even 4bet AK.

I fold, take a note and if he gets out of hand in future, I take a note and adjust.

Once you get to flop Im not folding.
  • edited December 2012
    i think the decision in this hand is preflop

once the guy raises then u raise then a cold call

then the original raiser then reraises tbh i be laying down qq here alot of times as rancid says 10 nl alot of abc players at this level so not many get out of line sounds nitty but im folding preflop

on this flop now your in the hand i am hating the shove

a)  your folding a k   a q now so not keeping bluffs in

b ) your only getting called by a better hand unless jacks which i very much doubt

in summary its a fold preflop for me the way the action has gone on the flop its deffo a call u want to keep bluffs in for u going all in your folding all ace highs
  • edited December 2012
    It seems pretty bad to fold on this flop after calling the pre-flop 4-bet but how strong is the case for folding to that 4-bet? Given my image and the image of the caller, is it more difficult to find the fold or should I assume that the 4-better isn't considering those things and give him a super-tight range?  from dohhh

you cant fold on this flop how can you qq is not a set mining hand lol so on this flop its the nuts if u think guy has aa or kk then u fold preflop now the flop has come have to go with it
  • edited December 2012
    yeah I mainly play 10/20nl and not many players will 4bet unless its aa/kk

but I still 3bet with qq because a lot more of the time you will get called with so many hands you are crushing but think in this particular spot 3bet/fold is fine. 

But like doh said we prob get slaughtered why 3bet fold such a strong hand but basically more often the opponents will flat your 3 bet more than they would 4bet so you can still gain value more often than not.

but as played dont think you can fold your plan was no ace or king flop and i`m getting it in.

also like to say i`m not the liam in the hand lol. 
  • edited December 2012
    like the sq, like the peel, fold the flop move onto the nxt hand.

also lol at how annoying bet folding then bet calling is! v bad habit.
  • edited December 2012
    like the sq, like the peel, fold the flop move onto the nxt  hand. also lol at how annoying bet folding then bet calling is! v bad habit.
    Posted by beaneh
    wt is the point of calling pre then folding flop?? the hands hes beating are jj 1010 and i getting value frm otf and if he thinks villain has kk/aa souldfold pre
  • edited December 2012
    i disagree with beaneh

if u call preflop then fold the flop so your basically saying with qq ya set mining ?

if i call preflop and see this flop for me u have to go with it
  • edited December 2012
    IDONK, I don't lose any value from hands he's bluffing with that fold because those hands would have to be complete air. Flatting the flop doesn't get any more value from these bluffing hands (if any of them happen to be in his 4-bet range) because he won't continue bluffing on the turn or river. He can't think I'd fold for £7 more. 

He's not betting £6 on the flop then folding Ace-high for £7 into £33, either I would think. If he has AK, AQ, etc surely he's calling with those odds. He'd have to put me on AA, which I assume most NL10 players would shove pre-flop with. There's no reason to flat the flop.

Question for beaneh. I've given this some thought and for the life of me, I can't understand: What does "sq" mean and why do you like it? On less important issues, if we call the 4-bet pre-flop then fold the flop, are we really just hoping to see no c-bet on the flop? How often do we think that happens?

Also, having played a few more hours at NL10 and not being 4-bet once (other than by EvilPingu which doesn't count) I'm going to agree that 4-betting is likely to mean only super-premiums even with the image I perceive I'm projecting, though I'd guess AK may still be in there.

Oh, and river shoves are never bluffs or anything short of the nuts, even if the nuts was a back door draw and you've been betting strongly on all streets... more sighs...
  • edited December 2012
    limp iso, and you 3bet it's an iso aswell but I phrased it squeeze for some reason, shortening the bulk of the word. 

apologies

the point of calling pre is we have QQ, we are behind to get it in preflop. we can make decisions on flops and I believe this to be the optimal play in this spot.

those who say you call 4bet you have to call allin are refusing to play poker and should just go allin pre.

they also probably haven't played as many hands of low limit sky as I have!

BL forget that you know what your image is, until you realise that they can pay any attention. Image schmimage.
  • edited December 2012
    fwiw if the caller isn't inbetween the flop decision becomes alot alot closer.
  • edited December 2012
    i disagree with beaneh if u call preflop then fold the flop so your basically saying with qq ya set mining ? if i call preflop and see this flop for me u have to go with it
    Posted by IDONKCALLU[

spot on imo U CANNOT EVER SET MINE WITH QUUUENS , You alreay put a fair chunk of money in , you either havve to ship pre or fold ! tis is a dream flop once u call , ur gettin max vlue frm hnds u might be ahead of ! there is NO logic to peelin then foldin flop! BEANEH  blatantly on a wind uppp
  • edited December 2012
    so if your opponent turns over AA make it 1/10th his stack then promises to never fold the flop, do we fold QQ pre because the law states you cannot set mine Queens?
  • edited December 2012
    IDONK, I don't lose any value from hands he's bluffing with that fold because those hands would have to be complete air. Flatting the flop doesn't get any more value from these bluffing hands (if any of them happen to be in his 4-bet range) because he won't continue bluffing on the turn or river. He can't think I'd fold for £7 more.  He's not betting £6 on the flop then folding Ace-high for £7 into £33, either I would think. If he has AK, AQ, etc surely he's calling with those odds. He'd have to put me on AA, which I assume most NL10 players would shove pre-flop with. There's no reason to flat the flop. Question for beaneh. I've given this some thought and for the life of me, I can't understand: What does "sq" mean and why do you like it? On less important issues, if we call the 4-bet pre-flop then fold the flop, are we really just hoping to see no c-bet on the flop? How often do we think that happens? Also, having played a few more hours at NL10 and not being 4-bet once (other than by EvilPingu which doesn't count) I'm going to agree that 4-betting is likely to mean only super-premiums even with the image I perceive I'm projecting, though I'd guess AK may still be in there. Oh, and river shoves are never bluffs or anything short of the nuts, even if the nuts was a back door draw and you've been betting strongly on all streets... more sighs...
    Posted by BorinLoner

lol yeah hes a very good tricky player I enjoy playing him though even if he does own me most the time and he defo is not as loose as every1 thinks uses is image well.

also does he still have a forum ban like to see his diary back up and running again.
  • edited December 2012
    Don't call pre-flop 4-bets. Once you have been cold called by SB and 4-bet by the orrigional raiser just 5-bet shove or fold. If you call then the money is all going in anyway on the flop (or it should be since you are very pot committed) and You lose value against the players who will fold AK on the flop if they don't hit, but would call a 5-bet pre-flop.

If you have reads that the villian only 4-bets with QQ+ then fold to the four-bet. Calling the 4-bet is the worst option. Even a little deeper like this calling 4-bets is going to be -ev.
  • edited December 2012
    limp iso, and you 3bet it's an iso aswell but I phrased it squeeze for some reason, shortening the bulk of the word.  apologies the point of calling pre is we have QQ, we are behind to get it in preflop. we can make decisions on flops and I believe this to be the optimal play in this spot. those who say you call 4bet you have to call allin are refusing to play poker and should just go allin pre. they also probably haven't played as many hands of low limit sky as I have! BL forget that you know what your image is, until you realise that they can pay any attention. Image schmimage.
    Posted by beaneh
    but surely after the pre flop aaction we arnt really deep enough to outplay our opponent if he hass kk/aa esp seeing s h is nerly alayss cbettin.  maybe only cnce we have is if villain has kk and BL JAMS OTF BUT then surely BL FOLDS AN A HIGH FLOP
  • edited December 2012
    Your not set mining with QQ, even though you  can if oppo only 4 bet AA/KK -  just ask yourself if oppo 4 bets worse than how do they continue on flop -
    Don't think you can fold QQ pre -

but then again who flats 4 bets......and with what hands. All I see if people flatting 4 bets with KK/AA like it's supercool.

Rarther flat a 3bet with QQ at NL10

Too many people genralise, me included - so much eaiser with specific reads on oppo)
  • edited December 2012

If I flat the pre-flop 4-bet I give him the chance to c-bet his weaker 4-betting hands and it's unlikely he just gives up AK without betting the flop. If I 5-bet he can only call with hands that beat me and possibly AK. When I flat the 4-bet, I'm certainly not just set-mining though, I'm flatting for value. I'm trying to keep his range as wide as possible. I wouldn't 5-bet here with any of my hands.

If that's the logic for calling pre-flop, I don't like just folding the flop. The logic of it, I don't understand. If we don't think he's ever 4-betting with AK or worse, I should fold pre-flop... but is 3-bet/folding QQ a good plan? It seems you'd have to know that your opponents are going to play their hands face-up. That seems to be the way most of the time, though.

Liam's range was not tight for getting it in here. His money was dead money.

I am miraculously only a buy-in down today in spite of being a station on the river.

• edited December 2012
    imo opinion

borin loner has made 2 mistakes in this hand

1) u should be 5 betting to get it all in pre or fold i prefer a fold then calling   have a plan and stick 2 it :)

2) u should always be calling this flop why are u all in makes no sense KEEEP BLUFFS IN

bl what is your thinking of going all in on the flop i dnt like it at all if they have a k aq let em hang

thanks for the post its a intresting hand not had 1 in a while for me theres a couple of mistakes im no cash expert far from it just my opinion
  • edited December 2012
    It is a good point to ask with which other hands I'm flatting the 4-bet. With the SPR before Liam shoves, I might set-mine other pocket pairs because we're almost guaranteed to play for stacks if I hit. I doubt I'd flat with AK or other unpaired hands though. I just think that Queens are too high in that range to just fold if there's any chance that AK or other hands can be in his range.

I don't like not 3-betting the hand if I can be called by worse and I don't like folding to the 4-bet or 5-bet jamming if I can only be called by better.
  • edited December 2012
    As I said, IDONK, I can't keep bluffs in by flatting the flop.

If they have AK or AQ, they don't fold for the rest and if they have total air, they don't put the rest in. I'm shoving the flop for £7 more. I have no fold equity.
  • edited December 2012
    5betting 180bb with QQ is appalling on sky. I wish it wasn't but everyones so pathetic and terrible they couldn't get TT in for 100bb if their pet came and pressed the buttons.

100bb I might peel 4bet with intention to only fold a few A/K flops, 180bb GL ever being good with QQ.

also what happens when we peel with QQ and they check the flop? :D
  • edited December 2012
    As I said, IDONK, I can't keep bluffs in by flatting the flop. If they have AK or AQ, they don't fold for the rest and if they have total air, they don't put the rest in. I'm shoving the flop for £7 more. I have no fold equity.
    Posted by BorinLoner

U HAVE TO SHOVE FLOP , REALLY DNT SEE POINT  IN CALLIN!  AK MIGHT NT BARRELL ON A BLANK ANYWAY AND IF HE DOES HAVE 1010 JJ HES GETTIN IT IN
  • edited December 2012
    Folding preflop looks like the best option , if we had him covered i would set mine :-)
  • edited December 2012
    You people are joke hopefull expecting to see TT EVER
  • edited December 2012
    5betting 180bb with QQ is appalling on sky. I wish it wasn't but everyones so pathetic and terrible they couldn't get TT in for 100bb if their pet came and pressed the buttons. 100bb I might peel 4bet with intention to only fold a few A/K flops, 180bb GL ever being good with QQ. also what happens when we peel with QQ and they check the flop? :D
    Posted by beaneh
    On this particular flop, I suppose we say "I wasn't expecting that" and just check back and see what they do on the turn. On Ace-high and King-high flops, it's tough to see any reason to bluff with QQ if they check. Wet boards might just be boards to get it in on.

Erm... So you like calling pre-flop, then folding to the c-bet on non-Queen flops only because we are never facing anything worse than QQ?

All of this is predecated on the assumption that the 4-better can never believe that I might be "at it". I hate assuming that people don't notice that sort of thing. Maybe it's best to do that, though.

Bah! You lot are going to turn me into a nit!
  • edited December 2012
    You people are joke hopefull expecting to see TT EVER
    Posted by beaneh
    tbh i agree ur never really seein 1010 but if bl jams flop the villlain probs clls with ak with po
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: NL10: QQ For 180BB : On this particular flop, I suppose we say "I wasn't expecting that" and just check back and see what they do on the turn. On Ace-high and King-high flops, it's tough to see any reason to bluff with QQ if they check. Wet boards might just be boards to get it in on. Erm... So you like calling pre-flop, then folding to the c-bet on non-Queen flops only because we are never facing anything worse than QQ? All of this is predecated on the assumption that the 4-better can never believe that I might be "at it". I hate assuming that people don't notice that sort of thing. Maybe it's best to do that, though. Bah! You lot are going to turn me into a nit!
    Posted by BorinLoner

they will check more than you think

they will check give up with random bluffs 

they will check to trap AA/KK randomly sometimes.

they will min cbet sometimes giving us odds to draw etc