You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

was their any mistakes in this

edited December 2012 in The Poker Clinic
1.  I 1ike the raise pre.
2.  I probab1y just ca11 the f1op bet.  Your raise wont get anyone to fo1d and I dont want to inf1ate the pot with a semi decent hand.  
3.  Fine to bet when checke to, a1though your sizing needs some work.  I dont rea11y 1ike sticking to ru1es when we p1ay poker, but try to keep your bets above 1/2 pot.
4.  I wou1d probab1y check the river with showdown va1ue.  At this 1eve1 you cannot get a better hand than QJ to fo1d here. 

Comments

• edited December 2012
    thanks to the help i have had from people on hand like that QQ which i posted i am starting to get a greater understanding of what is really a bad beat and what was just a case of bad play by me as it has made me notice that so many more of my hands wer actully my own fault.
    this hand here is one i am a bit unsure about.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    x2Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £1.92
    xBig blind  £0.04 £0.06 £1.80
     Your hole cards
    • Q
    • J

_ _Fold     
    _ _ Fold     
    craigcu12 Raise  £0.12 £0.18 £5.73
     __Fold     
    x2Call  £0.10 £0.28 £1.82
    xCall  £0.08 £0.36 £1.72
    Flop

• Q

x2Bet  £0.04 £0.40 £1.78
    xCall  £0.04 £0.44 £1.68
    craigcu12 Raise  £0.28 £0.72 £5.45
    x2Call  £0.24 £0.96 £1.54
    xCall  £0.24 £1.20 £1.44
    Turn

x2Check     
    xCheck     
    craigcu12 Bet  £0.24 £1.44 £5.21
    x2Call  £0.24 £1.68 £1.30
    xCall  £0.24 £1.92 £1.20
    River

x2Check     
    xCheck     
    craigcu12 Check     
    x2Show
    • J

xShow
    • A
    • Q

craigcu12 Muck
    • Q
    • J

xWin Pair of Queens £1.77  £2.97
    the thing i am most unsure of is was it ok to do the bet preflop or is QJo not worth risking even if there were no bets or limps before me ?
    as for the flop onwards was i correct with all my play from their and basically just a case of being trapped or could a pot size river bet have got the guy with AQ to have folded
  • edited December 2012
    In an early position (under the gun), raising up with jq is a no no.. you got 5 players ahead of you, by all means call a raise dependant on size, anything over a 3xBB you fold. Had you flat called the blind and then been raised up 5x..,you could have made a much more informed decision, and if you called that then you need to seriously look at your play. The player with the AQ may have got a read on you or the other player..playing to many hands (unless you are getting a really good run, you should not be playing more than 30% of your hands,use your stats button and check your % play against % wins, 29% played with 80% return is good, and tighten up if needed)... loose calls... agressive play and decided to try and 'trap' you or the other player. It's a risky, but common play.. there are 7 starting hands over QJ..AA KK QQ AK AQ KQ KJ..and pocket pairs...someone with pocket 6's would have hit trips on the flop and will call all day long...a call with 4,5 suited there's a str8.. As for the 3rd player he should be folding on the  turn.. better still fold pre flop..as they say.. if they look pretty..they're probably not.. those sort of cards will get you in trouble 9 times outta 10. As for the hand itself, you got away lightly, I would be shoving on you at the turn... and you would be calling because of the preflop play..and if you'd shoved my way then you'd have been re raised..so checking down the river was your best option..you smelt a rat and saved yourself some money..the guy with the AQ was probably hoping you'd bet and max out with a raise.. and the  j6 suited guy would probably have obliged him too....but also remember at these 2p-4p stakes..you'll get more 'fishermen than birdseye ( the j6 suited player)..suggest you tag the player concerned and note his play and learn from it...but more importantly learn to use position on the table when making raises.
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: was their any mistakes in this:
    In an early position (under the gun), raising up with jq is a no no.. you got 5 players ahead of you, by all means call a raise dependant on size, anything over a 3xBB you fold. Had you flat called the blind and then been raised up 5x..,you could have made a much more informed decision, and if you called that then you need to seriously look at your play. The player with the AQ may have got a read on you or the other player..playing to many hands (unless you are getting a really good run, you should not be playing more than 30% of your hands,use your stats button and check your % play against % wins, 29% played with 80% return is good, and tighten up if needed)... loose calls... agressive play and decided to try and 'trap' you or the other player. It's a risky, but common play.. there are 7 starting hands over QJ..AA KK QQ AK AQ KQ KJ..and pocket pairs...someone with pocket 6's would have hit trips on the flop and will call all day long...a call with 4,5 suited there's a str8.. As for the 3rd player he should be folding on the  turn.. better still fold pre flop..as they say.. if they look pretty..they're probably not.. those sort of cards will get you in trouble 9 times outta 10. As for the hand itself, you got away lightly, I would be shoving on you at the turn... and you would be calling because of the preflop play..and if you'd shoved my way then you'd have been re raised..so checking down the river was your best option..you smelt a rat and saved yourself some money..the guy with the AQ was probably hoping you'd bet and max out with a raise.. and the  j6 suited guy would probably have obliged him too....but also remember at these 2p-4p stakes..you'll get more 'fishermen than birdseye ( the j6 suited player)..suggest you tag the player concerned and note his play and learn from it...but more importantly learn to use position on the table when making raises.
    Posted by larry1959

Struggling to make sense of this

1st off, he's not UTG, he's in the C/O

Are you suggesting he limps in instead of raising?

• edited December 2012
    In an early position (under the gun), raising up with jq is a no no.. 

cut off point but i think a min raise instead of 3x BB
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: was their any mistakes in this : Struggling to make sense of this 1st off, he's not UTG, he's in the C/O Are you suggesting he limps in instead of raising?
    Posted by SHANXTA
    surely the player betting 1st after the BB is under the gun???? and the cut off is the BB...preflop anyway???
  • edited December 2012
    this hand is played fine, no way ya flat the flop donk out.

Yes QJo is a raise pre

bet the turn a bit bigger or dont bet at all

like the check back on the river.

unlucky

• edited December 2012
    this hand is played fine, no way ya flat the flop donk out. Yes QJo is a raise pre bet the turn a bit bigger or dont bet at all like the check back on the river. unlucky
    Posted by bolly580

what he said ^

• edited December 2012
    You give away the strength of your hand with the turn bet size. Stop being so scared of putting money in the pot.
  • edited December 2012

i think some of you are mis understanding what i mean saying first to bet
    basically what i mean by first to bet is those who were before me folded i don't know every fance poker name yet i just know the position names- under the gun SB BB and on the button
    basically on this preflop i was in a late position only the button and blinds were left.
    i will change edit it

• edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: was their any mistakes in this : surely the player betting 1st after the BB is under the gun???? and the cut off is the BB...preflop anyway???
    Posted by larry1959
    The cut-off is the seat to the right of the button. Under The Gun is the first player to act pre-flop; the player immediately to the left of the Big Blind.

At a Six-Max table, moving clockwise starting from the Small Blind the positions are:

Small Blind,
    Big Blind,
    Under The Gun,
    The Hijack (Or UTG+1),
    The Cut-Off,
    The Button.

These don't change in relation to players folding or raising, etc.

Never limp (call for the value of the Big Blind) in an unopened pot. In fact, just never limp at all.
  • edited December 2012
    Played very well up to the turn bet around 85p here. I like the check back on the river to played pretty well room for improvment to get value from hands you are beating on the turn but all in all just unlucky
  • edited December 2012
    Pre is fine although I prefer to go 4-5x at 4NL just because I wanna get more value fro the people calling with worse.

Flop is fine to raise cos the min bet might aswell be a check (until you get nots they do this with monsters etc).

On the turn you should bet a lot more, something like 85p.

Checking river is fine.

And yes you are the Cut-Off (the person before the button), think Larry is confused
  • edited December 2012
    Posted by larry1959
    Do you know what the top 30% of hands are? Is QJ in the top 30%?
  • edited December 2012

on these 2p/4p tables i have came up with a new way to play. this was TBH my first year and was making a lot of mistakes, but now that i am posting my hands into this forum i've learned quite a lot and have come up with a few things i think could help me build a decent bankroll
    1. be more sensible with my hands and position combined before making any call
    2.start making bets of atleast 16p with hands preflop.
    3. stop calling these 4p bets on the flop and turn instead either raise to a 20p+ size bet or fold
    4. accept low profits such as £2 and rather than waiting until i get double figures all the time.

• edited December 2012
    on these 2p/4p tables i have came up with a new way to play. this was TBH my first year and was making a lot of mistakes, but now that i am posting my hands into this forum i've learned quite a lot and have come up with a few things i think could help me build a decent bankroll 1. be more sensible with my hands and position combined before making any call 2.start making bets of atleast 16p with hands preflop. 3. stop calling these 4p bets on the flop and turn instead either raise to a 20p+ size bet or fold 4. accept low profits such as £2 and rather than waiting until i get double figures all the time.
    Posted by craigcu12

Did write something a couple of years ago that wud help u set more/better targets than the ones you already have, not sure where it's gone though. If anyone reading knows where it is maybe they can link it on here :)

Do cringe alot reading it back, and it's far from perfect, but it will still help u beat nl4/8 on here vvvv easily. 

gl
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: was their any mistakes in this : Did write something a couple of years ago that wud help u set more/better targets than the ones you already have, not sure where it's gone though. If anyone reading knows where it is maybe they can link it on here :) Do cringe alot reading it back, and it's far from perfect, but it will still help u beat nl4/8 on here vvvv easily.  gl
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    That'll be this then:

Beating Small Stakes Cash Games - Part 1
  • edited December 2012
    The hand is played fine except the turn bet. In general bets should be between 50-80% of the pot size (change depending on board texture - no the strength of you hand). Here I think a 50% is fine. Like the check behind on the river too.

Pre-flop I like your raise size. From the cut-off and button in an unopened pot 3x is fine even at NL4 unless you have a monster hand and reads that players in the blinds will call big bets very wide. It is definatly +ev to steal blinds from the CO and BTN at NL4 if you pay attention to who is in the blinds so you can really open up your range from these possitions. As a result you should make your raises in these spots smaller because a) you are more likely to get played back at and b) you will be raising with junk a lot of the time. Just don't get sucked into betting multiple streets with suited connectors when you flop a pair and you'll do fine.

Another good stratergy on these tables is to bet when you have top pair until you get raised, then fold. Sometimes you may bet called by a player who has you out kickered (like in this hand) and sometimes a player will raise you on the turn as a bluff and you fold the best hand. But more often than not players at NL4 will call with any pair/any draw. Since I've started doing this I've been amazed at how often I've played a rag ace from the button and been called on three streets by 2nd pair.

Some players will say always raise to /> 20p, which is fine too. But I think that you only need to do this from early possition and/or with monster hands vs players who you know will call anyway.
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: was their any mistakes in this : That'll be this then: Beating Small Stakes Cash Games - Part 1
    Posted by BorinLoner
    That's the 1! ^ Cheers BL.

Was unsure about it at the time, and even more so now. lol. But if u can understand what I'm trying to say throughout then it will really help you at micro stakes cash on sky,

If u can't understand all/parts of it, post here and I/we will try and explain it better. 

• edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: was their any mistakes in this : That's the 1! ^ Cheers BL. Was unsure about it at the time, and even more so now. lol. But if u can understand what I'm trying to say throughout then it will really help you at micro stakes cash on sky, If u can't understand all/parts of it, post here and I/we will try and explain it better. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    i seem to be able to understand most of it the main part that bugs me is part 3 where you had 88 and he goes all in when that second 9 came out.
    what allowed you to make that call which is something i have most of the time folded to.
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: was their any mistakes in this : Do you know what the top 30% of hands are? Is QJ in the top 30%?
    Posted by Lambert180
    30% of  all dealt hands...not top 30% of hands......read again dear..lol
  • edited December 2012
    so youre saying you should only play 30% of what youre dealt? what if youre dealt AA each time for the whole session? fold 1 third of the time right?
  • edited December 2012
    so youre saying you should only play 30% of what youre dealt? what if youre dealt AA each time for the whole session? fold 1 third of the time right?
    Posted by percival09
    I think while his post is massively confused that its pretty clear he means you shouldnt be playing more than 30% of hands in the long term. I dont think you can imply he is suggesting playing 30% always in short term regardless of cards/situation
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: was their any mistakes in this : I think while his post is massively confused that its pretty clear he means you shouldnt be playing more than 30% of hands in the long term. I dont think you can imply he is suggesting playing 30% always in short term regardless of cards/situation
    Posted by grantorino
    Well yeah but when I said top 30% he said no not top 30%, 30% of hands dealt :s

And QJo is in the top 30% which was my point. It's also in the top 15%
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: was their any mistakes in this : i seem to be able to understand most of it the main part that bugs me is part 3 where you had 88 and he goes all in when that second 9 came out. what allowed you to make that call which is something i have most of the time folded to.
    Posted by craigcu12
    Well how many hands can he possibly have that call a bet on the flop that have a 9 in them? and the 2nd 9 just makes it even less likely he has a 9 in his hand.
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: was their any mistakes in this : Well yeah but when I said top 30% he said no not top 30%, 30% of hands dealt :s And QJo is in the top 30% which was my point. It's also in the top 15%
    Posted by Lambert180
    QJ is in the top 15%?

Those top % thingy of hands always seems kinda irrelevant to me. There are situations I would feel more comfortable opening 46s in than QJo. I assume stuff like Q3 is ranked as a beter hand than 78s, (maybe not?) I know which I would rather play unless we get it all over the line pre
  • edited December 2012
    I know.. but he said hands youve been dealt - lambert was correct
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: was their any mistakes in this : I think while his post is massively confused that its pretty clear he means you shouldnt be playing more than 30% of hands in the long term. I dont think you can imply he is suggesting playing 30% always in short term regardless of cards/situation
    Posted by grantorino
    thanks for the defence in what I was trying to put across grantorino, but I wasn't confused in what I was saying
    ,( most of the guys posting here are playing bigger stakes £2 + tables, and have the experience,money and confidence to blow a few hundred quid + on 1 hand making these calls and the raise or fold style of play comes with experience)....and the post did say unless you are on a good run, when obviously the % hands played would be higher..also there is not much info on other players or the guys style of play..so my point was... raising with QJ in what looks to me like UTG is what put him on a cooler.. (if you look at the table its SB BB and the raiser with QJ) then folded round to the SB and BB who called..or am I reading the table wrong?

The main point I was making was...if his play was loose,,then he would be target for the way the AQ played out against him with the flat calls and checks...and what everyone on here has told him is.."YES SON YOU'RE RIGHT..GET YOUR CHIPS IN THERE..."...sorry but I think when you are learning, you need to think about what hands are beating you pre-flop,your position on the table,the way your opponents play (he had a fish and a player waiting to pounce in that hand), what bets have gone before and bet accordingly...I dont see how thats wrong????..thats why I put the post I did..he's got to be able to way up all options...personally I have learnt that raising early with jq o/s has leeched me more chips than its made..but we are all entitled to an opinion on how certain cards should be played in what positions... at the end of the day it's all about who you are playing against,how aggressive you want to be at the table and the fall of the cards...
  • edited December 2012
  • edited December 2012
    is it me or is larry crazy lol. long posts that make no sense?????
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: was their any mistakes in this : thanks for the defence in what I was trying to put across grantorino, but I wasn't confused in what I was saying ,( most of the guys posting here are playing bigger stakes £2 + tables, and have the experience,money and confidence to blow a few hundred quid + on 1 hand making these calls and the raise or fold style of play comes with experience)....and the post did say unless you are on a good run, when obviously the % hands played would be higher..also there is not much info on other players or the guys style of play..so my point was... raising with QJ in what looks to me like UTG is what put him on a cooler.. (if you look at the table its SB BB and the raiser with QJ) then folded round to the SB and BB who called..or am I reading the table wrong? The main point I was making was...if his play was loose,,then he would be target for the way the AQ played out against him with the flat calls and checks...and what everyone on here has told him is.."YES SON YOU'RE RIGHT..GET YOUR CHIPS IN THERE..."...sorry but I think when you are learning, you need to think about what hands are beating you pre-flop,your position on the table,the way your opponents play (he had a fish and a player waiting to pounce in that hand), what bets have gone before and bet accordingly...I dont see how thats wrong????..thats why I put the post I did..he's got to be able to way up all options...personally I have learnt that raising early with jq o/s has leeched me more chips than its made..but we are all entitled to an opinion on how certain cards should be played in what positions... at the end of the day it's all about who you are playing against,how aggressive you want to be at the table and the fall of the cards...
    Posted by larry1959
    Most of the players postin aint playin big stakes, u talk crazy & sayin u can blow afew hundred is laffable. i stopped readin after that