You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

was their any mistakes in this

2»

Comments

• edited December 2012
    Alright, this is getting a bit silly. People piling on is why the Clinic is getting fewer new posters than it used to.

Larry, some of the things you are posting are incorrect. Some are unusual thinking, though not necessarily wrong.

Reading the hand history is an easy one to address: There are two folds before craigcu12 acts, you can see that the players names have been blanked out but their folds are still there. When craig acts, he has only the button and the two blinds still to act, so he's in the Cut-Off.

The "raise or fold style" is not something you need to be particularly experienced to do. New players naturally come to the game and limp in with lots of hands because they want to see flops and get involved. However, this is easily shown to be a losing way to play the game in the long run. We should all encourage new players to come into any hand for a raise if the betting is unopened or to fold if their hand is a bad one. The phrase "If its good enough to play, it's good enough to raise" really does ring true in No Limit Hold 'Em. Telling someone to play their hand by limping in is, I'm afraid, just bad advice at any stake or buy-in.

The thought that you should be playing roughly 30% of your hands in the long term is a reasonable one and one that, as a guideline for new players, makes alot of sense. You seem to understand that the range of hands you can play depends on your position, so in the long-term you should be playing far more than 30% of hands from the buttton and far fewer than 30% from UTG.

I don't like the idea that you should play more hands when you're running well. Pofitable play is profitable play whether you have 100 Big Blinds or 10,000. The times when this can change are when other players are also playing large stacks so there is more play through the streets and so better players will have more of an edge. In these cases those better players will want to see as many flops in position as possible, almost regardless of their starting hands. However, this is a situation that's unlikely to arise very often online and it's not really relevant to the discussion of this hand.

Larry, some of what you say has merit, some of it you can definitely work on to improve your own game. I don't play for hundreds of pounds when I sit at the tables, by the way. Right now the highest level I'm playing is 5p/10p, though I will happily debate the ins and outs of the game with someone playing £5/£10. The good fundamentals of the game don't change as you play higher levels. Don't let it bother you which level the other posters are playing.
  • edited December 2012
    Nice post BorinLoner people need to be less aggressive when arguing apoint from a poster trying to help, sometimes can come accross as abit harsh but credit to Larry for sticking around and trying to explain his thinking behind his posts.

FWIW the only high stakes players i can think of that offer their advice in the clinic off the top of my head is Beneah and occasionally LOL_raise and offshoot. Pretty much everybody else playing has beaten or is playing the stakes on which they are trying to advise on so their advice is very relevant. Not to say that the big boys arnt its always spot on from what i can understand myself so far