You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

craigcu12 diary

Comments

• edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: craigcu12 diary----one off or just the beginning:
    In Response to Re: craigcu12 diary----one off or just the beginning : He's been playing a year, I'm 28 and been playing online since I was 18. Been playing since I was 14 if you count £1 sng home games witg mates
    Posted by Lambert180
    How has he been playing a year?! Where you getting that from? His first post on here is from December '12 and mentions his first year on Sky, so I'd say it looks like at least 3 years.

I repeat, have you been playing from before you were born? ;)
  • edited December 2014

Craig just because we have a bigger bankroll than before, doesn't mean we have to play higher games than before. 

Bankroll management dictates that we have to have so much money to be able to play up to a certain level.

It doesn't mean we have to play that level, it just means we're not allowed to play above it. 

Go back to playing exactly the same games as you were playing before the high roller. Reset your bankroll to exactly what it was, and go right back to basics. 

You may suddenly be bankrolled to play higher games against tougher opposition, but that doesn't mean you're ready to. 

• edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: craigcu12 diary----one off or just the beginning : Never thought I'd hear myself say this... But massive +1 Seems like you're annoyed with the game when I'd bet you've literally made probably 10 to 20 times more profit than 99% of poker players make in their first year of the learning the game. Variance has been kind to you and it can sometimes give you a false idea that its sustainable when you ain't experienced the opposite end of it yet. Don't give up, it would take one hell of slot of losing for you to become break even from the game which is more than most can hope for in their first twelve months. Sure you still got lots to learn, but so have I and I've been playing 10x longer than you.
    Posted by Lambert180
    This!

In Response to Re: craigcu12 diary----one off or just the beginning:
    Craig just because we have a bigger bankroll than before, doesn't mean we have to play higher games than before.  Bankroll management dictates that we have to have so much money to be able to play up to a certain level. It doesn't mean we have to play that level, it just means we're not allowed to play above it.  Go back to playing exactly the same games as you were playing before the high roller. Reset your bankroll to exactly what it was, and go right back to basics.  You may suddenly be bankrolled to play higher games against tougher opposition, but that doesn't mean you're ready to. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Sounds like experiance ;) 
  • edited December 2014
    Craig just because we have a bigger bankroll than before, doesn't mean we have to play higher games than before.  Bankroll management dictates that we have to have so much money to be able to play up to a certain level. It doesn't mean we have to play that level, it just means we're not allowed to play above it.  Go back to playing exactly the same games as you were playing before the high roller. Reset your bankroll to exactly what it was, and go right back to basics.  You may suddenly be bankrolled to play higher games against tougher opposition, but that doesn't mean you're ready to. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    nl 30 was my main stakes prior to the win I got, it would be main events that are jumping it.
    the last 3 main events all got entry via a sat, the only main events I really direct buy into is the Thursday main event and maybe Tuesday.

when I say i'm going to play 1 nl 40 it's basically me doing what I did previously i'll start with just 1 nl40 table and 3 nl30 like when I moved from nl20 up to nl30, the other week I made a jump directly to 4 nl50 and struggled so instead I'll be moving up gradually.

simply put
    nl30 was and still is my main cash, I just have 1 nl40
    £11 is the cost i'll make for direct buy in for MTTs and i'll only enter a high price for the Thursday BH as I enjoy that one and the super roller semi knowing it's got no need for final table just bubble.
  • edited December 2014
    2nd all the other recent posts.

Perhaps consider a proper time out to regroup and get your head back to where it was before the win. Take a chunk of the win and use it to enjoy your Christmas, whatever it is outside of poker that you love to do. Maybe it'll help you come back refreshed and ready to love playing again?

As a wiseish man once said, poker is a never ending game, it'll still be here ready for you to win a few more quid when you get back!
  • edited December 2014
    again their were some annoying exits in the DTDs when people choose to limp in at the later stages and having attempted to pitch all the chips I get the occasional premium pair that decided to limp, the difference today was I remained fully relaxed all the way.

The cash tables went much better and rather than cbetting every time I've open raised and saw the flop I managed to get much more value by mixing up play, also I had breaks after each hour like an MTT, basically it was much more relaxing as the radio plays some of my favourite music, is very relaxing and helped keep me calm.

normally I wouldn't be on them at all, as their were no nl30 or nl40p tables I decided to play just 1 nl50p whilst playing some cash on 888 poker, overall I got £5.98 of that table.

the session tonight was a case of 3nl 30p and 1 nl40p as well as DTD3 and in that session the nl40p went great with a total win of £74.22 and a major part was when I called AKo IP and as I held the Ah i decided to call the flop as it came 1032hh then on the turn I hit my K so called knowing he might have QQ or JJ and river came K and he went Ch/C.

total for the night
    MTT -£15.93 (sats and DTD)
    cash
    £81.58
    overall £65.63

on 888 poker I had a short session and the story was mainly about just the one hand when I had AA was loosing to a set but got lucky with a rivered A.
     total gained
    £28.97
  • edited December 2014
    Craig, can you just clarify how long you have been playing poker please? :)
  • edited December 2014

I didn’t manage to make it into tonight's main event successfully via a semi but i didn't enter Thursday's BH at all so I used my once a week direct entry on today's main event instead. The main event itself started off very well and I got a large chip stack but as the blinds increased I started to drain chips away as my chances to steal were made difficult because of a short stack to my left and a few people raising by 3BB pre, by the time my stack was down to 15BB I felt it was now time to ship my stack and it did have lots of chances of double ups but it seemed as though the table was a nitty one unusual for a BH, when the blinds were 250/500 I finally did get my double up when K10s got shoved and called by 95s all that was left now is get myself past the bubble and it certainly was a long one (30minutes). Thankfully I did pass the bubble and went out in 34th place having lost a flip 1010 against an AJ so won £34 without any HP.

As I had an hour before the main event I used that time on some cash tables 3NL30p 1 nl40p and overall it went great not profitably but mentally. My biggest win from a single hand was when I got lucky and saw the villain semi bluff his nut flush draw which unfortunately didn’t work as I had the trips he attempted to bluff. My biggest loss came from an unfortunate river card giving him a straight but I had to call because although the board was very straight heavy (10 9 7 5 3) on the river, the flop (10 5 3) only really allowed 64 and 42 straight draw so I see more two pairs and sets than I see straights therefore I’m calling top set for sure.

What I liked best about the day was it seemed to be my most relaxing poker day yet as those heavy losses, them chances to double not getting the hopeful caller and the time I did exit event all been accepted and rather than turning into a maniac I just waited patiently for my next proper chance.

Overall

Cash £9.04

MTT -£11.32

Overall -£2.28

No time for 888poker

• edited December 2014
    Craig, can you just clarify how long you have been playing poker please? :)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    i probably started playing poker about 5 years ago.
    first year was mainly on gaming sites like miniclips.
    second year i decided to join my first poker site.
    sky poker was started 3 years ago with the first year being about losses, i then got a helpful spreadsheet from doooooh and it was that document which started what is now a person who is serious about poker and now i've got two major sites which i'll play on and if the second one goes as good as this one has i'll then think about a 3rd one.
  • edited December 2014
    Thanks Craig.

Lambert, can you edit your post please? You've been playing twice as long as Craig, not 10x as long. Ta :)
  • edited December 2014
    today was a bad day as far as poker is concerned but was a good day as far as betting goes, i've decided to keep track of my total prize won in bets between now and UKOPS then i'll use the profit i got in bets on UKOPS high stakes MTTs. So far i'm £100 up in bets and knowing how good newcastle and how bad teams like liverpool and spurs are doing i could be in with some good prizes all i need to do is rather than picking lots of low odds teams i should just pick 2 highly priced teams and add teams such as barcalona and real madrid (almost certain to win) because today both stoke and newcastle were 4/1 and 6/1 respectively meaning i could have been £120 richer from just them two, my big win last time came from newcastle's two tough fixtures.

the poker didn't go well an i think part of that was down to me playing too wide on tables which had 5 unknowns, i also played a high roller quarter but went out with an attempted 3bet jam 13BB with 87s in the later stages and lost to A8o. 888 poker was a different story alltogether with a profit of £29.49 as both tables were packed with calling stations.

I might have got a loss but still i enjoyed my game overall

sky poker £-100.31
    bets £177.95
    888poker £29.49
  • edited January 2015
    another day goes by and another loss occurs, still i did sustain a smaller loss in comparison to recent days and more of the losses were coolers than bad play. their were a few poor one and had it not been those bad plays i could well have got myself the winning.

my day today as far as poker goes
    888poker -$9.70
    sky poker -£73.06 (-£58.44 cash -£14.62MTT)

still it was better than on sunday when i lost £174 including £48 spent on a semi and lots of all in sats, generally speaking i shouldn't have played in the first place as the mini roller showed when i give up after just a few small losses.
  • edited January 2015
    a night which should have finished good turned into a night of hell all caused by the simple fact instead of standing up right away i wait just a bit longer and then comes two decent hands which make it ruined. knowing how often the pot is going to be small i should just leave the table right away even if i do get AA becuase i would much rather avoid the big loss than i would getting that small pot win.
  • edited December 2014
    i think i lost about £200 because of the simple reason being over aggressive
  • edited January 2015
    This poker session I've just had this afternoon has been a much better one than those of recent days and i fealt so relaxed all through. I must admit the problem in recent days is most of last week I was been quite bored during the day time  and instead of playing short sessions throughout the day I had just sat bored then in the evening, i played poker as a way of getting out of bordom rather than playing it with seriousness and so it's no wonder i was getting so tilted, rushing hands and chasing losses.

Having had something to eat before starting and went out for a bit I managed to sit down fully relaxed and had my best session in ages, when i lost £19.33 with my AK against QQ rather than get so worked up I looked at the fact my AQs had won when it went all in with AQs against 66 meaning that loss was a break even for that other flip. my total prize was £66.51 durin this session.

• edited December 2014
    The cash tonight didn't go as well as it had done this afternoon and got a loss of £14.16. At one point in the session i take things a step too far and over attempted a bluffs with 33 when i called the 3bet and having saw a board 247 tried to bluff a set but failed to get the QQ folding and also tried to bluff K10s on a board that was 754 and again it failed to see folding on the flop how ever this time i did realize my problem and from then on it changed and started thinking carefully about bluffs and soon things turned back to a sensible game.

As far as MTTs go it could be a story of maniac and bad luck more than anything- DTD 2, mini, £750BH (2.30) and UKOPs HR quart were all standard exits, the 2K BH could be descibed as an unlucky spot or bad calls because first i opted to call a 13 BB jam with QJ considering my stack was 50BB but lost out to AK high, next it was caused by a limper and when i Ch my 95o in BB, the flop came 99, the8 2nd limper has J9 and he bet OTT (10 2nd Spade) then came a Qd OTR, he bet 1875 and  as the pot is 5625 i make the call thinking maybe he is bluffing a missed flush draw or has a 9 himself and therefore lost next was my exit when 3bet shoving my last 10BB with Ajs loosing to a J7 flush, DTD1 was the worst case when my stack suffed big time from a maniac opting to jam 30BB 95ss on a board 56J having KK it's certainly called but he gets lucky by hitting the 9OTT and finally in DTD 3 a maniac shoves very first hand and knowing how many maniacs their were i called AK but didn't win my flip against 22.

still it's bee a day of profit with
    cash £52.35 (£66.51-£14.16)
    MTT -£22.96
    DYm -£1
  • edited December 2014
    888 poker i managed to get a prize tonight of £33.27 but when i look at my graph it does show a loss of -£9.21 for non showdowns.

Q. like showdowns,  should non showdowns be finishing at profit or will these be frequently occuring as a loss?
  • edited December 2014
    today i've been very busy and as i've not got much time before the match kicks off i'll remain away from it tonight, so this update is based on Tuesdays poker as it was so late by the time i exited the 1K BH.

My total out come in the first session was a one which i finish pretty much as a started and boils down to two hands really as it could have been so much better had my flush came. What happened was when i raised with the nut flush draw OTFj1010ss and my opponent then followed with a reraise overbet jam (£33.40 into a pot that was £14.80), all i could see was it's either trips JJ or over playing an overpair and as he made a 3bet preflop, i already see tripe being  unlikely as nl20 is a level which A10 is very rarely going to be 3bet pre, so it's either JJ or overpair, the thing about JJ is it's again the type of hand which on nl20 doesn't get a great amount of 3betting but instead getting called then played aggressively as an overpair and even if he does hold JJ i'm thinking surely he would be wanting to keep others in with these monsters therefore i went with the overpair. It turned out i was right as he turned KK i still missed the flush and A meaning i lost my £36. Later on i did get it back from a standard AA vs KK cooler and so that session finished as £1.63 profit.

my second session was a great one which just had me on the good end of coolers. It certainly seemed to be in my favour as each of the tables finished profit.

After that session i did a number of MTTs and it is questionable weather or not i make the right move calling the flush draw on the turn knowing that if i were to miss it i'm likely to be the bubbled person. What happened is i min raised QQ flop comes JJxcc i cbet the flop and opponent calls the turn then gives a 3rd club and he shoves his stack, now because it's on the bubble and my stack is slightly larger i'm thinking he probably has the flush if not trips, having the Qc i decide to call because whilst i do see myself behind i'm thinking at the same time he might see this bubble as a chance to bluff and well as i did have profit from HPs and was doing great in another BH i choose to call plus i might be able to double up my remaining 2500 chips.

in the end even with a small MTT loss i was in profit thanks to my earlier cash session

MTT -£16.69
    cash £81.90
    overall £65.31
  • edited January 2015
    today was another fine day of cash table poker with some great hands and a number of good hero calls. overall i had 4 cash sessions today starting with a early one played during the early semi, having a semi up i decided to just play 2 cash tables as i wanted to keep some focus on the semi, in the semi itself i think i played it a bit too much like an actual MTT because during times when short stacks were limping i tried to threaten them by jamming hands like 33 and it ended up loosing my chip stack.
    The cash was played good and i'm starting to sense just how powerful the 3betting can be when used correctly and i think the best sign came from my exit hand that happened in the BH (see below)

MY second session was a short one and i might have lost some concentration for small period because when i open raised K4s and got 3bet i called OOP then Ch/R a flop and when he jammed i choose to call now the think was i had very little outs so my only guess for this call was it's a HU game but still i should have either folded or left right away as it's nl40 and he seemed to be a much more aggressive player than i normally come across and aggressive HU is something i've got very little XP of due to most these stakes being passive for various reasons.

once shy poker started i decided to do some MS and that hour was my best session of the day with profits on each and every MS table and an overall winning of £92. My best hand in the MS came when i choose to bet for value with two pair on a 3 clubbed turn, a person with a flush decides to MR giving me the pot odds to call my two pair hoping to hit the FH and the river does just that coming  a 2nd A, does a Bet which i then would could it be called an in the end decide to jam making the pot £46 and  having called the other £23  allowed me to double up my stack with FH.

The main event didn't last very long at all as i swiftly exited that on with a semi bluff but what i do ask myself is weather or not being a person who has open raised makes the bluff better on the river than one the turn because as i've seen from cash an opening raise will have a range so much wider than that of a 3bet so the calls preflop and flop are much harder to pit down in comparison to the range of hands which are 3bet, i did go out of the mini with a semi bluffed hand that was 3bet pre but in truth i just had the unfortune callingstation because he called with Q4s preflop then does a call on the flop 984cc and unfortunely the Q comes on the turn and my representation of the Q was no use.

• edited December 2014
    as for my out come it was

cash £113.11
    MTT -£47.53
    overall £65.58
  • edited December 2014
    Something is just not right with my sky poker game at the minute as i've now lost over £1100 in a month!

Today alone i've lost £200 and looking at my big losses over £10 they are not much worst than my big winnings over £10 so that tells me it's surely got nothing to do with coolers. my thought are that I may be playing far too loose and aggressive but what i'm not so sure of is weather  it's when my hand selection IP or my hand selection OOP so i've came up with a plan using 888 poker.

my plan is between now and the beginning of UKOPS i will leave sky poker alone and play 888 poker non stop as they have got more 9 max tables and the benifit of them tables is the button doesn't come round as often, so if i am managing to make wins their then i'm thinking these bad losses i'm getting on sky could be down to late positions and the blinds, but if i'm getting losses on that site then it's my play in general in which case i'll do a full review of my game.
  • edited December 2014
    another thing i'm going to do in general is play much more 888poker because at the minute i don't play enough of it. What i'm doing is draining my BR on sky poker by chasing the loss i recieved in my first cash session when playing my second cash session, by playing my second session on 888poker i can consider it my first session of the day knowing that BR is still break even and what it can help with long term is allowing my confidence to remain high rather than drop to a very low point from the frustration of chasing losses continuously playing the same site day in day out.
  • edited December 2014
    Hi Craig

I have read a lot of your posts, especially after your big cash. What I am going to write now may help or may not depending on how you take it. It is certainly not meant as a dig.

Take the big win out of your figures. Look at your long term results minus that one huge win. Are you still winning? It is easy to think that you are playing better than you are or even a better player than you are, especially after a huge score. For that night poker was easy and you took on some of the best in the business and got heads up with the best player in the world.

Imagine how good you would have to be in a sport to do that! I am a competent tennis player but could I get through an ATP tournament and end up playing Federer, Nadal or Murrey in the final? Not a chance, I wouldn't win a point off those guys, not one point. I wouldn't get a point of the guys that lose in the first round of qualifying! That is the beauty of poker, it's not all skill. You have admitted yourself that you ran golden in that tournament.

If you think you are better than you are, rest assured poker will bring you back to earth with a huge jolt. It has done that to some of the best players the game has seen and will continue to do so.

One of the most impressive SS graphs I have ever seen was a player who was a long term winning player at the $1 to $3 MTT level. He then won a huge Sunday event for $250,000, I presume he satellited in to it. The impressive thing? He went back to playing $1 to $3 tournaments!

There you are that's my tuppence worth. No hand analysis, no game strategy, more of a warning. I hope it helps. 
  • edited December 2014
    +1 on above post. 

My feelings are, and they maybe wrong, but it seems now you have a healthy BR you are probably playing more looser as losing a BI or three won't greatly affect your balance. I suggest removing the balance that is above your usual role and continue to play at your usual stakes. 

Good luck. 
  • edited January 2015
    Happy new year all, now that 2014 is over, I shall put that HR to one side and get back to how my poker use to be.

Although I've played the occasional game, overall the last fortnight I've remained quiet and just enjoyed Christmas, Now it's a new year, so it's time to set myself a new years resolution and this one is going mean less play but more reading.

The way I became a chess master was not by jumping straight into the game, first I read book, therefore i'm set myself an aim to read through some poker books slowly and steadily, that way i'll be able to really get an understanding of the game because recent years I've rushed my way through too quickly.

Also because of the difficulty I have traveling, i'm aiming to treat myself to a live sky community poker event being held in Newcastle, this will give me the chance to meet some people and finally see for myself what it's like playing poker in a casino.
  • edited January 2015
    After 9pm m going to stop playing nl30 because this time in the evening tables seem to be looser, therefore varience is greater, i don't want to go down the road of chasing a bad beat therefore i shall remain on nl20.

I was looking to have broke even tonight but then came a river card which caused my stack to drop and after loosing to 42, i then lost another large one when i called with a middle pair on board J335 which was not too easy to give up having seen him play the 42s like he did.

tonight -£100.
  • edited January 2015
    preflop not sure what your opponent is doing entering the hand with 24

postflop you both played a drawing hand v aggressively and you were unlucky on the river. Got to be happy of the state of play when the money went in? That bit you can control so wp. The bit you cant control is the river card ul - reload.

Does seem it tilted you in the later hand which is something you should be able to control. I know that isnt that easy and we have all been there losing more than one BI to a loose player and it's alot easier to lose if they keep turning up with the goods/outdrawing us.
  • edited January 2015
    Tonight's session tells me i can actually play as many as 8 cash tables because when your playing tables packed with finish it's very hard to ever get a read so instead i just play lots of tables and that way if i recieve that bad loss on one table i've a good chance of remaining ahead overall, Another thing with nl20 is i'm got over 80 buy ins worth of nl20 which is not far from the BR recommendation.

i'm not really sure weather i should have lost a large sum or if i'm unlucky not to have won a large sum overall, i had about 8 sets in the two hours, two of which were nasty coolers because i was holding the smaller of the two sets  that were hit and that cost me £40, the worst thing about them were. i had suffered hugely in the main event because that event too had seen me hit bottom set but loose to middle set. I do question weather or not i could have got away on that occasion.
  • edited January 2015
    Tonight I had been playing on 8 NL 20 tables at once. The thing about playing a total of 4 nl30 tables, whenever I had a cooler, them 3 tables with winnings would be just balancing the books. Now I’ve got 4-7 tables in winnings meaning I’ll have much more chance of still finishing with more than I started. Another problem I had when playing 4 higher stakes is the fish were been given the correct odds to call because I got too concerned they’d fold, playing 8 tables I’m not bothered what happens the important thing is that fish don’t get cheap prices for flush draws and raggy As. For a small moment of my session, I had some good aggressive play with another reg involving a successful attempt at bluffing myself a set. I 3bet/Called my hand IP preflop, then he cbet £3.98 (j108dd), so i decide to attempt to rep a set and know if he does call i’m still likely to have 6 aleast 6 outs possible. My bluff did work, we had a chat to each other as he told me he had AK and i said i’m not bothered what you had, just glad you’ve folded and now he looked as though he wanted revenge. What happened this time was I open raised 1010, he called OTB with 4d4s flop was 10s6h3s i cbet ¾ of pot, he calls, 7s came on the turn i bet ½ pot again he calls, river comes Qd i bet ½ and he attempts to bluff his hand but sadly for him i’ve got a set, ok i might be losing to the flush but still sigh called thinking he could have missed a runner runner flush draw himself.
    tonight £23.48
  • edited January 2015
    having  qualified for the main event via an all in sat (4 played over all), I found it very easy to play, I wasn't bothered about loosing flips and the moment I got a bounty, i was able to act like a person who was happy to play with aggression vs the shorter stacks. Having managed to finish in 15th place  It sounds strange to say this but, I feel disappointed with myself. What i'm annoyed with is the way I played KJs on the button having called a raise preflop and got decent note on the player who raised. What happened is this player Chs the flop (10s 9s 4c), now i knew not to bet the flop because i may have the Gutshot, but this villian has been known to L/RR QQ preflop and could well be planning to Ch/R the flop, so I do the Ch to see if i can hit a gutshot. My mistake was when the turn comes 6c, he might have been hoping to Ch/R a hand on the flop but  i'm thinking now he's sure to hold junk and even if he did go all in i know for sure i'll have decent outs because nut flush draws are very unlikely to be part of a this persons range.  but just doing a bet on the river make it too obvious a bluff.

SHO147014£63.18 + £65.40 Head Prizes5 
    craigcu12015£63.18 + £119.94 Head Prizes6 
    miniM90016£63.18 + £200.94 Head Prizes10 
    Carrie2828017£51.95 + £36.04 Head Prizes2
    so i might have won cash but i still didn't finish the day with a profit because my early day was a dreadful cash session with cooler after cooler.

overall i've lost myself £15.53