You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

1,000 Poker Points -----> £1,000 Can it be done? ****Yes**** Latest balance £1,089.01 :

Comments

• edited November 2013
    Congratulations Gary!!!! Very well played!!!! Amazing!!!!!!!!!

Showes determination, patience and don't forget the skill to complete a challenge like that.  I for sure would not manage... You are a true role model for a newbie poker players... My hat is off :)

Was following your challenge from the beginning with much interest (did't post before as I'm not to much of a posting person) and yesterday when you sat me down at a £5.50 HUSNG game I had, for a first time, mixed feeling wheter I want to win that game or not.... 

GG and looking forward to your next challenge (after a well deserved rest!!!) :)

Mariusz
  • edited November 2013
    Brilliantly done! Going to miss looking in on your challange daily. 

If and when you do another (c'mon; the people have spoken and they want more!) then it would be great if others could join. EG, starting same challange at same time and seeing how others do. Would be a good insight to see how others attack a challange and how different styles provide results.

Congratulations!
  • edited November 2013
    +1 - I'm another secret lurker on your diary, have followed with interest.  Looking forward to the stats etc.

The next challenge will undoubtedly be tougher after you've pressed the dreaded 'withdraw' button!

Enjoy!
  • edited November 2013
    congrats, an amazing achivement, but seriously what we i read now... i hope your next challenge isn't too far away 
  • edited November 2013
    Give this man a medal !!!

Had goose bumps when opened up the forum and seen you had done it.

Brilliant effort Gary
  • edited November 2013
    well done Gary - great achievement
  • edited November 2013
  • edited November 2013
    Just seen this, very well done Gary. Just shows what can be done with solid play, cool mentality and good bankroll management.
  • edited November 2013
    gary what a fantastic achievment m8 hats off to you
  • edited November 2013
    congrats gary welldone 
  • edited November 2013
  • edited November 2013
    well played and well done Gary.Respect
  • edited November 2013

Congrats Gary well deserved completion to a great challenge.

• edited November 2013
    Congrats Gary. Never in doubt!
  • edited November 2013
    amazing, well done sir! 
  • edited November 2013
    Awesome achievement m8.Never in doubt,eh?
    VWD!!
    Paul
  • edited November 2013
    CONGRATULATIONS

I am another avid secret reader who never posted.

Very well done.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: 1,000 Poker Points -----> £1,000 Can it be done? Latest balance £888.15:
    In Response to Re: 1,000 Poker Points ----- /> £1,000 Can it be done? Latest balance £888.15 : Thanks Paul. I have no other challenges planned for now. I'm looking forward to a break from them when this one is completed. If I were starting this one now it would be much easier, I'd try to do it from zero money and zero points and enter the daily £500 Free Cash Freeroll every day to get things going. Back in January the hold 'em freerolls cost 25 points each to enter with a £50 prizepool, so I only had enough points for 40 attempts and was up against opponents taking rebuys and add-ons. The target still feels a long way off to me, I'm just ignoring it and just do my best in the games I enter tournament by tournament. I suppose somewhere in the back of my mind I'm aware I'm just one decent £5.75 or £11 Bounty Hunter bink away from the finish line but I try not to think about that. It'll come when it comes.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    That was yesterday 

Big congrats . I thought u,d make it but didn,t think it would be this quick. enjoy your well earned brk
  • edited November 2013
    Well done Gary, Great diary and you deserve alot of credit for the amount of effort you put into it. Looking foward to whatever you decide is the next step if you continue to write about your poker on the forum.
  • edited November 2013

Nice work Gary

Very well done
  • ommomm
    edited November 2013
    Well done Gary, very inspirational achievement. Not sure what your planning next but would be great to see you turn the £1000 into £10k! Then get yourself to Vegas and bink a bracelet. Good luck with whatever you choose to do. 
  • edited November 2013
  • edited November 2013
    Great stuff Gary.  Get the holiday booked!
  • edited November 2013

Final thoughts

Finishing this challenge successfully feels amazing, to say I'm happy is a big understatement. The main reason for this is all the replies posted on this thread. They are very special to me and mean more than the money, particularly those made since completion. I simply cannot thank-you all enough, you guys have made the effort more than worthwhile. The same also applies to all the opponents who wished me good luck in chatboxes during the year, many of whom I didn't recognise from the forum.

At times I felt I was running badly. Maybe I was for short periods, as I should have expected. But clearly that was just an illusion. Looking at the graphs below I can see that progress was better I possibly could have expected. The final two weeks were a non-stop heater that more than made-up for any earlier downswings. I daren't even look back at the negative diary entries I made when I found myself the wrong side of variance in September. They probably make me look like a total fool; moaning and whinging when I had absolutely no reason to do so.

So how did I do it? It was simple really; by making less mistakes than my opponents. I have no secrets, no tricks up my sleeve that nobody else knows about. I just took it hand-by-hand, street-by-street, always trying to make the best decisions, losing small pots and winning big pots whenever possible. Strict bankroll discipline and patience were also essential ingredients. Once my balance had reached the relative safety of say £30 I think the eventual outcome wasn't really in doubt just as long as I stuck rigidly to my bankroll rules. Whenever I felt things weren't going my way and I was starting to tilt I simply stopped playing. Not once did I get all hot-headed and put at risk a silly amount of my money at any one time. Had I done so I could have ruined the whole thing very quickly.

There were three main phases;

kick-starting a small balance in freerolls
    2. growing it further in micro-stakes heads-up STT
    switching to multi-table tournaments when sufficiently rolled

As you'll see below nearly all of the £1,089.01 profit came from the MTTs, and the best part of that from just a small number of big wins. There wasn't much strategy discussion in this thread, however I feel my overall approach to MTTs bore fruit and may be useful to others;

To make a good profit from MTTs you must have the ability to win them. All the money is at the top. A massive 81% of the profit I made in this challenge came from just the top ten wins (see below). You need have the killer instinct and gamble inside you that gives you a chance to go all the way and take down these crucial first place finishes. A min-cash should never be considered a success, nor something to aim for. It is merely a small consolation for a near miss. Don't bother checking the lobby continously looking at pay-jumps, stack sizes at other tables, or any other stuff like that. It's a bad habit, just focus as hard as you can on your own table and do your best to play for the win. There's a fine line between carefully calculated risk taking and reckless gambling, you must aim to stay just the right side of that line. When the risk/reward ratio is in your favour don't back down from big confrontations, that includes flips. I'll donk myself out of a tournament on a bubble looking like an idiot far more often than many of my opponents. However I'll also win the tournaments more often than them. I'll make more money than them in the long run too. In MTTs 'he who dares wins' definitely applies.

I'm just an average middle-aged working guy with no particular skills or qualifications. I didn't even learn how to play poker until 2007 when I was 41yo. There are probably hundreds of poker players on Sky who are far better at the game than me. If I can run up £1,000 from Poker Points then just about anybody can. That includes you.

Thanks for reading, good luck to you all at the tables.

Gary :)

Stats, graphs, trivia, etc.

(all as accurate as possible)

How the money was won;
     Freerolls.......................................... £18.05 (51 games)MTTs with an entry fee.................... £991.16 (584 games)HU STTs...........................................£81.11 (582 games)DYMs..............................................-£28.09 lost (96 games)Cash poker........................................£ nilRewards Bonuses................................£26.78Competition wins/freebies/giveaways......£ nil Accurate graph of daily closing balances; http://imageshack.us/a/img542/2217/kpv1.jpg

Sharkscope statistics and graph (not quite as accurate); http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/46/0iex.jpg/

The top 10 biggest wins (these add up to £884.75, that's 81.2% of the total profit); 8561471 H NL B £400 Bounty Hunter 2.0 GBP SkyPoker 12/11/2013 12:00 NL Hold'em  £20 + £2 1/26 £204 8052341 H NL B £350 B/Hunter 0.75 GBP SkyPoker 15/06/2013 14:30 NL Hold'em  £5 + £0.75 1/95 £120 8508497 H NL B £350 Bounty Hunter 0.75 GBP SkyPoker 28/10/2013 14:30 NL Hold'em  £5 + £0.75 1/101 £108 8174205 H NL B £300 B/Hunter 0.75 GBP SkyPoker 23/07/2013 11:30 NL Hold'em  £5 + £0.75 1/77 £87.46 8270099 H NL B £300 B/Hunter 0.75 GBP SkyPoker 21/08/2013 11:30 NL Hold'em  £5 + £0.75 1/64 £79.65 8546209 H NL B <spa
  • edited November 2013
    Grea post, and the whole thread was a gold mine of advice andinspriration for new and micro players. Going for the win seems obvious but its hard when youve been grinding a tournament for a whole night not to look at cashing, the wrong mindset no doubt.

Did you think when you started that it would be over in the calendar year? In the middle of the big downswing you barely played and even played the rpulette tables, did you ever come close to giving up? And what was the hardest part of the challenge?
  • edited November 2013
    What an achievement, reading your stats just says soo much about the dedication/commitment you have put into this challenge. 

WP sir. 
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: 1,000 Poker Points -----> £1,000 Can it be done? ****Yes**** Latest balance £1,089.01 :):
    Grea post, and the whole thread was a gold mine of advice andinspriration for new and micro players. Going for the win seems obvious but its hard when youve been grinding a tournament for a whole night not to look at cashing, the wrong mindset no doubt. Did you think when you started that it would be over in the calendar year? In the middle of the big downswing you barely played and even played the rpulette tables, did you ever come close to giving up? And what was the hardest part of the challenge?
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    Thanks. This challange was totally aimed at newbies and improving players. I never expected this diary to appeal to established grinders, wannabe pros, or anybody playing at higher stakes and/or volume than me.

Clearly I got myself into a mental rut during that downswing. I went off poker for a while and would insta-quit sessions for silly little reasons. However I was always still determined to see this thing through to the end and never even considered quitting.

It was a temporary blip, when I talked myself out of my own irrational behaviour results quickly improved, after that I never looked back.

The hardest parts were making the first £20 (unsurprisingly). The freerolls were a minefield with very fast structures, plus I was up against opponents taking rebuys and add-ons. Also keeping motivated to making a post here every single day through thick and thin. It's hard to think of things to say when not much has happened for days on end. Most MTT diaries fall silent when the author goes on a downswing, often never to be seen again.
  • edited November 2013
    Oh, you omitted from your stats:

Est. % of money won from being dealt 2d5d....

Cheers, 
    TEDDY
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: 1,000 Poker Points -----> £1,000 Can it be done? ****Yes**** Latest balance £1,089.01 :):
    Oh, you omitted from your stats:  Est. % of money won from being dealt 2d5d.... Cheers,  TEDDY
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    Haha, I didn't keep count, but quite a lot :)

It's a hand I play as if it's the nuts in nearly all circumstances. It works most of the time and wins me lots of chips. 

If anybody doesn't know what we're talking about see the Brags, Beats and Variance section of the forum. 
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: 1,000 Poker Points -----> £1,000 Can it be done? Latest balance £0.00:
    In Response to Re: 1,000 Poker Points ----- /> £1,000 Can it be done? Latest balance £0.00 : Thank-you very much for this generous offer, I'll be delighted to accept the entry to the BIG freeroll. However I feel accepting the £11 Tourney Entry would go against the spirit of this challenge. If I were to bink even so much as a min-cash it would give a much easier starting balance than having to build from nothing. I tell you what; I'll happily accept the tourney entry when this challenge is over, whether I succeed or fail. Cheeky I know, but if you don't ask you don't get!
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    A deal is a deal.

Tell me what Tourney, & when, & I'll get it sorted.

Never was it more deserved.

This whole thing has been one of THE most extraordinary threads, & achievements I've ever seen on any Poker Forum or Community. I'm doing a little one of my own at present, & you've shamed me, I might just quit now!

Total respect Gary, many congratulations.