You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Who's mugging Who!!

edited December 2009 in Poker Chat

After the post's this last weekend, about 'hit'n'run' players on the cash tables it's time we all realised that  this is not the problem with 'online' poker .... 

In my opinion any player doing that has either the good sense to take his profit or knows there's a good chance of being mugged by people who play online with Double Accounts OR teams of 3 or 4 players,  playing together on laptops in the same room !!
Of course this  generally only applies to "cash or STT" games, it would be difficult but not impossible to collude in MTT games !! 

It's an old story I know,   but you never see a sign in online poker rooms warning you of what might be happening, sure you'll see something to the effect of,  'If your suspicious report it to 'customer care' or 'chat box' collusion", and yes if proven the player sometimes gets a chat ban.
 However the real dangers are hidden, in the fact that syndicates do work on 'online' poker sites as teams against you, and yes some get caught but we don't hear of it because it's not the kind of publicity any poker site wants.  
Plus the  companies wouldn't talk about specific accounts, and in all cases you wouldn't know they had  closed any accounts for that reason ..!! 

Just something of interest, on another site we have heard of two players playing 'heads up' for silly amounts of  money thousands, millions, but do you know what the rake is on these pots ???
     50c !! . So my question is, are they really playing with their own money or is this just a gimmick to promote that particular site ??
Yes call me cynical if you like, but don't believe all you hear and see with online poker, things you see and hear are for the  benefit of the  promoter NOT you !!

You don't have to thank me for this information, just be warned,
"Not all shark's swim in the oceans"  and  'Not all trappers wear Furry Hat's" !!

glk all ....   :))

Comments

• edited November 2009

A bloke came to my DC Table last night in Luton, scooped £2,000 in the very first Orbit,  promptly disappeared into the night - & nobody batted an eyelid.

I've also seen guys sit down & do their 'Roll in the very first hand & have to disappear, as they are busto.

Worse things happen at sea.
  • edited November 2009
    BORING!

First of all the post the other day was about a heads up table, which is pretty difficult to collude at!

Secondly, these same players that play online for huge sums of money, also do at the big game in vegas, on High Stakes Poker etc etc, are these all for show aswell?
  • edited November 2009
    Good comment Benny.

With mobile broadband and wifi it would be a doddle to have two or three accounts operated by one or more person in the same place.  With Skype you can effectively video conference a hand full of players.. and MSN has always been an issue.

As with everything in life the bigger the stakes the more the temptation and the greater the incentive is for cheats.

Etiquette is one thing, collusion quite another.

• edited November 2009
    Ouch Tikay! The best and worst of poker right there!
  • edited November 2009
    nice post benny---yeh, I'm scared of big cash games for the reasons you have highlighted here. Its just too floppin easy these days with all the technology available, they don't even have to be in the same room to be colluding against you!
     Live messenger, web cams ect, all make it easy to do, software can detect certain forms of collusion, but these types know how to fool the detectors by now.

I was on one site where the colluders were waiting for me to raise, then one of them would reraise and one of them would go all in, in this situation (when it happens every time you raise), you can only win a hand with AA KK, QQ, and if you don't raise, and slow play all hands, then you have the whole table to beat. Almost impossible to play these types.

The knowledge of how these people work could be one of the reasons why players sit down at high stakes tables with only the minimum buy in, hoping to double up and do a runner, good idea imo! If you think there are players colluding, then this is the only possible way to play them--- innit?
  • edited November 2009
    Information is different from speculation, and this specualtion is completely unfounded, and based on no research.

And you really don't understand poker, It's not about "locking up profit for the night" or whatever, because cash games are one long session, every cash game you play in your entire life is just one long session, so actually, if you're in a +EV game, and you win a big pot and leave, you actually lose money in equity by quitting a good game while you're in a good state of mind.

Pretty terrible post imo.
  • edited November 2009
    lol at people still thinking the big cash pots at tilt arent real

they are , and mostly are a pittance to these players live action
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Who's mugging Who!!:
    BORING! First of all the post the other day was about a heads up table, which is pretty difficult to collude at! Secondly, these same players that play online for huge sums of money, also do at the big game in vegas, on High Stakes Poker etc etc, are these all for show aswell?
    Posted by SHANXTA
     I think you missed the  point, and your interpretation seeing it as BORING  says your either Naive  or you know exactly what I'm saying .... I  made the post for players venturing into cash games unaware of  what MIGHT be waiting for them  ........   It has nothing to do with the players involved in the previous post about HU or player  in Vegas !!
  • edited November 2009
    Information is different from speculation, and this specualtion is completely unfounded, and based on no research. And you really don't understand poker, It's not about "locking up profit for the night" or whatever, because cash games are one long session, every cash game you play in your entire life is just one long session, so actually, if you're in a +EV game, and you win a big pot and leave, you actually lose money in equity by quitting a good game while you're in a good state of mind. Pretty terrible post imo.
    Posted by LadyFingrs
    +1
  • edited November 2009

Lady Fingrs .. Quote ("Information is different from speculation, and this specualtion is completely unfounded, and based on no research. And you really don't understand poker,") Un Quote     

Up untill now  I thought you new what you were talking about, (well a bit)'  now I know you talk Bolox, you dont even know me ?.  And you certainly wouldn't find  me playing Holdem cash in ring games online, for serious money ... I might be cabbage looking but i'm not green !
  • edited November 2009
    Yes Tom Dwan, Phil Ivey et al are all just figments of FTPs imagination.
  • edited November 2009
     Lady Fingrs .. Quote ("Information is different from speculation, and this specualtion is completely unfounded, and based on no research. And you really don't understand poker,") Un Quote       Up untill now  I thought you new what you were talking about, (well a bit)'  now I know you talk Bolox, you dont even know me ?.  And you certainly wouldn't find  me playing Holdem cash in ring games online, for serious money ... I might be cabbage looking but i'm not green !
    Posted by bennydip2
    I didn't personally attack you in anyway, so what difference does whether I know you or not make?

• edited November 2009
    Yes Tom Dwan, Phil Ivey et al are all just figments of FTPs imagination.
    Posted by scotty77
    lol, i'm not sure why this guy is wastin everyones time posting this
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Who's mugging Who!! : lol, i'm not sure why this guy is wastin everyones time posting this
    Posted by SHANXTA

Think he was being ironic and sarcastic and infact siding with the arguement that you and ladyfingrs have with benny.

Never mind
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Who's mugging Who!! : Think he was being ironic and sarcastic and infact siding with the arguement that you and ladyfingrs have with benny. Never mind
    Posted by Rattious
    lol
  • edited November 2009
    Scotty, at the risk of getting banned from the site I'll say nothing , Other than, 
     " Your The Best" !!   sigh!
  • edited November 2009
    Scotty, at the risk of getting banned from the site I'll say nothing , Other than,   " Your The Best" !!   sigh!
    Posted by bennydip2
    w tf i agree that collusion is one of the biggest issues that online poker faces.  and will contiue to face for a very long time, as certain people will always try to find that extra edge.

but i dont agree that FTP is sending emails around its sponserd pros and going 'ok lads just flip a few for a million to get the headlines'.  cos it doesn't make sense, because the only people who are gonna be interested in a million dollar pot between Ivey and Durrr are gonna be poker geeks anyway.  its not like its gonna be published in the sun and suddenly Dave the van driver runs home and logs onto FTP.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Who's mugging Who!! : w tf i agree that collusion is one of the biggest issues that online poker faces.  and will contiue to face for a very long time, as certain people will always try to find that extra edge. but i dont agree that FTP is sending emails around its sponserd pros and going 'ok lads just flip a few for a million to get the headlines'.  cos it doesn't make sense, because the only people who are gonna be interested in a million dollar pot between Ivey and Durrr are gonna be poker geeks anyway.  its not like its gonna be published in the sun and suddenly Dave the van driver runs home and logs onto FTP.
    Posted by scotty77
    hi, my names dave and ive just got out of my van, after reading the sun, and heard about these large pots being played on FTP. Im gonna go and log onto it right now it sounds colossal, thanks for your help scotty
  • edited November 2009
    Don't really know Benny but he seems to be an expierienced poker player and well thought of on this site so from me Benny thanks for the advice, it was written really well.

Never mind the hecklers
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Who's mugging Who!! : w tf i agree that collusion is one of the biggest issues that online poker faces.  and will contiue to face for a very long time, as certain people will always try to find that extra edge.  

No more witnesses M'lud,  The case with this statement is  now closed !!

:))
  • edited November 2009
    Don't really know Benny but he seems to be an expierienced poker player and well thought of on this site so from me Benny thanks for the advice, it was written really well. Never mind the hecklers
    Posted by Torryladd
    I'm not gonna comment on his Post, I don't wannna get dragged into this unseemly spat, but Benny has played poker at the very highest Level, all over Europe, & is pals with many of the long-time Pros. His biggest achievement is to survive in the game for so long. Few survive in poker for very long without knowing how many beans make five.

I actually have a strong view on his Post, but I'm gonna refrain from commenting, the thread is way too aggro for me.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Who's mugging Who!! : I'm not gonna comment on his Post, I don't wannna get dragged into this unseemly spat, but Benny has played poker at the very highest Level, all over Europe, & is pals with many of the long-time Pros. His biggest achievement is to survive in the game for so long. Few survive in poker for very long without knowing how many beans make five. I actually have a strong view on his Post, but I'm gonna refrain from commenting, the thread is way too aggro for me.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thats the trouble lately, a lot of the threads although start off by giving a scenario, and an opinion, quickly become a mud slinging match between 2 opposing factions, reminds me of the mods and rockers lol. Why not post your opinion tikay, as a rhetorical answer, that way you wouldnt need to get involved
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Who's mugging Who!! : Thats the trouble lately, a lot of the threads although start off by giving a scenario, and an opinion, quickly become a mud slinging match between 2 opposing factions, reminds me of the mods and rockers lol. Why not post your opinion tikay, as a rhetorical answer, that way you wouldnt need to get involved
    Posted by loonytoons
    It's more like The Sharks and The Jets....idiot ;)
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Who's mugging Who!! : It's more like The Sharks and The Jets....idiot ;)
    Posted by diablo_pez
    No its not, thats in america, this is the uk so its the mods and rockers.... idiot - see you in Brighton bank holiday monday you rocker
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Who's mugging Who!! : Thats the trouble lately, a lot of the threads although start off by giving a scenario, and an opinion, quickly become a mud slinging match between 2 opposing factions, reminds me of the mods and rockers lol. Why not post your opinion tikay, as a rhetorical answer, that way you wouldnt need to get involved
    Posted by loonytoons
    I am sorry, but I am happy to debate these things, but I'm not prepared to get into a barney over a game (poker), so I'll refrain.

My views on the subject have been well-aired, for many years, elsewhere.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Who's mugging Who!! : No its not, thats in america, this is the uk so its the mods and rockers.... idiot - see you in Brighton bank holiday monday you rocker
    Posted by loonytoons
    I WAS a genuine Rocker back in the 60's!
  • edited November 2009

Tony,  it was never meant to be aggro, and certainly no implication is aimed at any player in the thread or at this site.
     I for one  have chosen to  play here (In MTT's) for a lot of reasons,   admittedly I do play another site but that is for Hi Lo Omaha and 7 card stud(when available)  I dont play cash NL Holdem anywhere live or online (to many swings)..

It's just sometimes  when players start about "Hit'n'Run" there are many reasons why players do it, and I  would very rarely sit in a 'cash "online" game' for more that 1/2 to 3/4 an hour !! 

However the main point was about collusion and I would hate to hear of some  player  get taken advantage of IF they didn't know what could be happening on any site  .....

Thank you for your comments   *blushing*   :))  glk
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Who's mugging Who!! : No its not, thats in america, this is the uk so its the mods and rockers.... idiot - see you in Brighton bank holiday monday you rocker
    Posted by loonytoons
    lol...don't fall of ur scooter will u posh lad!
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Who's mugging Who!! : I WAS a genuine Rocker back in the 60's!
    Posted by Tikay10
    lol that id have loved to have seen - the only rocker train spotting on the platform wearing a burgundy leather jacket, lol
  • edited November 2009
    Oh dear,    now this will really kick off now !!

Quadrephenia !!   WHO are you  !!